New Flagging Function

community
By:  @community, 3 weeks ago
Comments: 143 ..

Tags

I would like to tell you about our new flagging function here on NT. It should make reporting a violation easier. If you see an article or comment that you think is a CoC violation, you just click on the icon and the full comment and link will be sent to all the mods. Please keep a couple of things in mind when reporting:

• CoC violations are attacks on members and other violations spelled out in the CoC and NOT comments that you don't like. Reporting comments that are not violations, will result in ignoring future violations
  • Comments that skirt the CoC are still violations and should be reported. These are comments that indirectly insult a member, or are meant to taunt a member. 
  • Curse words are NOT violations by themselves, but long strings of foul language will be treated as a CoC violation as per #5 of the CoC.
  • You can't report a comment just because you don't like a member . There MUST be a CoC violation to report. Reporting comments that are not violations, will result in ignoring future violations.
  • Remember, reporting comments that are done in good faith, will always get a response by the mods, even if no action is taken. If action is taken, the comment will be stored as a violation will be recorded. 

I would like our members to please take note that now that it is easier to report CoC violations, to please take care of the comments that you make. 

The aim of this is to increase the quality of your experience here at NT. Let's work towards that goal. 

This discussion is locked

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link 04/06/17 02:47:45PM @perrie-halpern:

So please take note of those little green flag to the right of every comment and discussions. I will be offline for a bit to take care of some personal business, but I will be back later. 

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/07/17 01:46:43AM @jerry-verlinger:

Comments that skirt the CoC are still violations and should be reported. These are comments that indirectly insult a member, or are meant to taunt a member. 

".....indirectly insult a member, ...... are meant to taunt a member....."

Those are fairly vague factors to evaluate. I mean, throwing a barb at a member can or cannot be an implied insult. And to "taunt" a member means what, trying to get them to quit NewsTalkers or trying to coax them into responding in a discussion. 

The flags are cute and all, but I would rather have a notification method that alerts everybody when we get a new member.

Flagging unavailable

Spikegary
link 04/07/17 10:19:12AM @spikegary:

When a comment is nothing more than a taunt/insult and has no real substance, there shouldn't be a question.......

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/07/17 01:15:18PM @jerry-verlinger:

When a comment is nothing more than a taunt/insult and has no real substance, there shouldn't be a question......

If it is "nothing more" than a taunt/insult, you could be right. But I'm referring to a slight or barb included in an on topic comment. 

(Try being a moderator for a while. You'll find how many "questions" you have to deal with)

Flagging unavailable

Spikegary
link 04/07/17 02:32:57PM @spikegary:

No, I have enough thankless jobs already.

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/07/17 05:32:49PM @jerry-verlinger:

No, I have enough thankless jobs already.

It's not thankless. Perrie is constantly looking for volunteer moderators to do a tour for a while. And she thanks them very much for their help.

I tried it, but Perrie said I was being too bias in my judgement (me?! ..... bias?! I don't understand how she noticed) I did find out moderating is not an easy thing to do without drawing criticism. 

I thank them all for their time and patience. 

(There's another 'thanks')

Flagging unavailable

Randy
link 04/07/17 05:39:29PM @randy:

I tried it and burnt out on it after about a year and a half. It gets to you.

Flagging unavailable

Dowser
link 04/07/17 08:02:57PM @dowser:

Thanks, Jerry, all of us appreciate it!

Flagging unavailable

Kavika
link 04/06/17 02:57:47PM @kavika:

Got it.

Flagging unavailable

Dowser
link 04/06/17 03:03:08PM @dowser:

So, this means that if you report something, please make sure it is a CoC violation, not just because you don't like the comment...

CoC-- may be a good time to review...  And I would provide a link to the CoC, if I could find it!  ARGHH!

Flagging unavailable

Petey Coober
link 04/07/17 12:13:11AM @petey-coober:

If I'm not mistaken 1 of my comments has already been flagged even though it contained no CoC violations . [The flag in my comment is no longer green .]

Flagging unavailable

Cerenkov
link 04/07/17 11:43:15AM @cerenkov:

If it's your comment, the flag is greyed out I believe.

Flagging unavailable

Larry Hampton
link 04/06/17 03:22:18PM @larry-hampton:

Very cool, so easy! Thanks Perrie!

Flagging unavailable

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link 04/06/17 04:02:45PM @perrie-halpern:

OK just a quick note, comments that are changed after a reporting, will be removed as if the change didn't happen. Being sly with your insults will no longer get by on this system. 

Flagging unavailable

Dowser
link 04/06/17 04:18:12PM @dowser:

Quick question:  I can't find the CoC...  Where is it located?  Thanks!

Flagging unavailable

JohnRussell
link 04/06/17 04:22:28PM @johnrussell:

Code Of Conduct 

Flagging unavailable

Dowser
link 04/06/17 04:26:37PM @dowser:

Thank you!  I just couldn't find it...  My own fault, I'm sure.

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/07/17 01:42:53PM @jerry-verlinger:

Thank you!  I just couldn't find it...  My own fault, I'm sure.

Not your fault. It sits on the black bottom liner at the very bottom of the NT page. (I just found it)

Flagging unavailable

Dowser
link 04/07/17 02:14:57PM @dowser:

Thanks for the slack!  I think the page didn't load properly, because I had no bottom footer for a bit...  

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/07/17 05:38:57PM @jerry-verlinger:

Thanks for the slack!  I think the page didn't load properly, because I had no bottom footer for a bit... 

Hit [Cntl] and scroll back slightly. It will make the page smaller.

Flagging unavailable

Dowser
link 04/07/17 08:00:59PM @dowser:

Thanks, Jerry, that could have been it...

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/07/17 01:36:22PM @jerry-verlinger:

Being sly with your insults will no longer get by on this system. 

Your making it hard for me Perrie. I'll have to put a Thesaurus link on my toolbar. 

Flagging unavailable

XXJefferson#51
link 04/07/17 11:04:06PM @xxjefferson51:

So, if we post something in anger and after getting a cooler head remove within the time window something offensive and replace it with something more kosher, it will be as if the cooler head never prevailed?  What's the point of having time to modify a post then? 

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/08/17 01:20:31PM @jerry-verlinger:

"So, if we post something in anger....."

Stop posting when you start getting pissed off. Get up, take a walk, get a drink and cool down. When you get back, your words will be wise instead if angry.

Flagging unavailable

A. Macarthur
link 04/06/17 04:27:37PM @a-macarthur:

Let's hope, because "reporting" an alleged CoC is now logistically an icon away, that it is not abused.

Too many times, a comment that does not concur with a seeder/author agenda, is called "off-topic". 

Flagging unavailable

TTGA
link 04/06/17 04:46:30PM @ttga:

You can't report a comment just because you don't like a member . There MUST be a CoC violation to report. Reporting comments that are not violations, will result in ignoring future violations.

This one is interesting Mac.  The penalty for making false violation reports is to have your reports ignored.  Strange, I thought that behavior was classified as harassment or stalking which should get you banned.

Flagging unavailable

A. Macarthur
link 04/06/17 05:21:50PM @a-macarthur:

Perrie makes policy but it would make sense to implement some sanction for repeated abuses regarding malicious flagging.

Flagging unavailable

Dowser
link 04/06/17 05:23:33PM @dowser:

Good idea!

Flagging unavailable

TTGA
link 04/06/17 05:55:02PM @ttga:

That's basically what I meant Mac, although I think it's already there in the Terms of Service under "stalking" or "harassing behavior".  Violating that can get a member bounced immediately, even without a warning first.

Marsha,

The CoC you were looking for is at the bottom of each page.

Flagging unavailable

Dowser
link 04/06/17 06:04:43PM @dowser:

Yeah, that's what I thought!  All I had at the bottom of the page at the time was ads...  It's back now!!!  YAY!!!

Thanks!

Flagging unavailable

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link 04/06/17 11:23:02PM @perrie-halpern:

Abuse of the system will result in suspension. 

Flagging unavailable

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link 04/07/17 12:49:42AM @perrie-halpern:

This one is interesting Mac.  The penalty for making false violation reports is to have your reports ignored.  Strange, I thought that behavior was classified as harassment or stalking which should get you banned.

Hi TTGA,

Interpretation by members of a violation may be different from how the mods interpret it. But if we see large batches of violations, it will be construed as spamming the system, and suspension can be the end result. 

That being said, a report that doesn't result with a violation doesn't mean that a member was wrong to report and we don't want people not to report for fear of "getting in trouble". All we are asking for is not spamming the system. 

Flagging unavailable

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link 04/07/17 01:11:23PM @perrie-halpern:

OK, I have amended the way we will handle people who abuse the flagging system, since I don't want people to be afraid to flag or be too punitive. 

If you abuse the system, the privilege will be taken away from you for a period of one month at which point it will be restored. If it is abused again by the same person. they will lose it for two months and so on. 

PLEASE read the CoC and know what a violation is. 

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/07/17 01:54:20PM @jerry-verlinger:

Perrie makes policy but it would make sense to implement some sanction for repeated abuses regarding malicious flagging.

This was addressed in an article posted by Perrie on 7/19/13   The CoC And Enforcement Policy

5. There will be a three strike rule about breaking the CoC. If a person acquires three CoC violations, they will get a day suspension. The next three, will get them 2 days suspension and so on.

Flagging unavailable

Gunny
link 04/07/17 05:44:50PM @gunny:

Just not a strong enough deterrent for those that continually break the CoC.  Make the first three a week then progress from there. and it should be within a months time. either from date of first offense, or month by month Jan, Feb, etc.

There will always be those that push it to the limit. and play the gambit on it.  every part of society has their 10%ers.

This flag deal is a beginning.

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/07/17 05:44:58PM @jerry-verlinger:

I thought that behavior was classified as harassment or stalking which should get you banned.

Eventually that is what would happen.

Flagging unavailable

Dowser
link 04/06/17 08:42:38PM @dowser:

TTT

Flagging unavailable

Buzz of the Orient
link 04/10/17 09:05:57PM @buzz-of-the-orient:

I have seen "TTT" before but have no idea what it means, unless it is just a test.  Can a TTT-user please explain. I never was much good at interpreting acronyms.

Flagging unavailable

Dowser
link 04/11/17 10:15:24AM @dowser:

It means To The Top, dear Buzz.

I used it above, as the article was falling off the board and I thought it was important and should be read by everyone.  That's all...  angel

Flagging unavailable

deepwaterdon
link 04/07/17 12:05:29AM @deepwaterdon:

Got absolutely nothing from this discussion. Just some snide, tricky, bullshit designed innuendos to try the patience of Perry and Dowser who, if nothing else, have the best interests of NT at heart and are doing a very good job. Knock off the snide, infantile, bullshit remarks. No code violation intended, but I could name a couple of capitalized letters if anyone is confused who I mean.

Flagging unavailable

Gunny
link 04/07/17 12:16:35AM @gunny:

As should of been done in the first place this article should of been mandatory for all members to read and state they understand.

I have now read the article and understand the premise of the flags.

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/08/17 02:04:08PM @jerry-verlinger:

As should of been done in the first place this article should of been mandatory for all members to read and state they understand.

I agree. IMO, all members should be automatically become a member of the NewsTalkers Community Group, and all meta articles should be posted in that group, with a group memo sent to all members about the article.

That way our more casual members, that may have missed the article in the main forum, will be made aware of it's existence. 

Flagging unavailable

Gunny
link 04/08/17 02:54:26PM @gunny:

Mandatory to become a member of your group, not only no but hell no.

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/08/17 07:31:29PM @jerry-verlinger:

Mandatory to become a member of your group, not only no but hell no.

It's not my group. It is a group I started because I thought we needed a NewsTalkers Community Group. The group is administered by Larry Hampton and me. As far as I'm concerned I will resign as an administrator if it's a problem to the group. 

Right now I make sure all meta articles are posted in the group and send a group mail to everyone notifying them of the article. I also intend make sure all new members, that I am told about, have a note posted in the group about them joining and send a group mail out with a notice of a new member.

You want the job Gunny?

Flagging unavailable

Gunny
link 04/08/17 11:48:42PM @gunny:

It's your group. you started it and you are the admin of it. I may e crazy but I am not that crazy to join your group.

Flagging unavailable

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link 04/09/17 12:23:34AM @perrie-halpern:

The NT community group is a good thing to belong to, for the reason's that Jerry said, but it is not mandatory to belong... but they may miss out on important info if they are not a member. It is up to the individual. 

Flagging unavailable

Randy
link 04/09/17 12:41:27AM @randy:

I agree completely. Not because it's Jerry's group or because Perrie recommends it, but rather because it does give one good information, so it doesn't matter who started t. It has no bias one way or another. Not in any manner

Flagging unavailable

Gunny
link 04/10/17 09:40:41PM @gunny:

Get Jerry out of it and I may consider it.  Until then I am not crazy enough to belong to any group he is admin to.

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/10/17 09:10:50PM @jerry-verlinger:

It's your group. you started it and you are the admin of it. I may be crazy but I am not that crazy to join your group.

I never said you were "that crazy" I just said you are crazy. It was something you made a big fuss over, and now, finally you are admitting you're crazy. 

I see the group page shows only I am the admin, but that's wrong. The group is co-administrated by Larry Hampton and me. Anyway, what's the difference who are the Group administrators?  The purpose of the group is to help all site members be made aware of site changes and other activities.

You don't want to join? Don't join.

If you want I will ask Perrie to become the group admin, but it seems to me she has enough to do around here. Or, if you want, we can make you the admin and we'll see how effective you can be at making the group more helpful and effective. 

Flagging unavailable

Gunny
link 04/10/17 09:48:11PM @gunny:

Not admitting shit, just letting every one know that I ain't biting the bait that you throw.  When you call people names you become intollerable to even consider discussing anything with. And I have made many enemies here, But hey all I got to satisfy is ME.  

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/10/17 11:16:34PM @jerry-verlinger:

Not admitting shit, just letting every one know that I ain't biting the bait that you throw.

Whatever Gunny.

Flagging unavailable

Buzz of the Orient
link 04/10/17 09:11:55PM @buzz-of-the-orient:

"Right now I make sure all meta articles are posted in the group and send a group mail to everyone notifying them of the article."

You presume that all members have adjusted their settings to receive such email notices - my experience is that many do not.  I regularly look at page under the Home (Front) page that shows groups with current postings, the most current goes to the top. I have rarely seen the Community Group on that page.

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/11/17 12:11:57AM @jerry-verlinger:

You presume that all members have adjusted their settings to receive such email notices - my experience is that many do not. 

Wrong. I have not presumed all members have set there emails to receive those notices. However, I do presume those members that are really interested in NT functions, notices and activities, do have there email settings open. 

In the new effort to make our groups more active, I plan to spend more time to make the NT Community Group more operative and effective. One of the items in that effort is to convince members to open their email settings and remain aware of NT notices and changes.

I regularly look at page under the Home (Front) page that shows groups with current postings, the most current goes to the top. I have rarely seen the Community Group on that page.

I understand. In the first place Perrie is reluctant to post meta articles, so there haven't been that many notices of NT changes. We, to date, do not get any notice from admin that there is a new meta issue, so if we don't catch it on the main forum it will be missed. We will be working on that problem.

Flagging unavailable

Bob Nelson
link 04/07/17 08:53:07AM @bob-nelson:

I wish you good luck, Perrie... but I think the Comments here have shown once again what all of us already know:

An asshole will be an asshole.

Skirting the rules is a pleasure for an asshole. An asshole gets off by showing how clever they are... So the flagging system has probably only opened new horizons for assholes...

Still... I'll try it...

Flagging unavailable

#MAGA!
link 04/07/17 01:55:38PM @therealbruce:

Skirting the rules is a pleasure for an asshole. An asshole gets off by showing how clever they are...

Clever statement...from a clever guy.

Flagging unavailable

Bob Nelson
link 04/07/17 02:05:41PM @bob-nelson:

Hey, Bruce! 

You're taking the defense of assholes, now? Why does this not surprise me? 

Flagging unavailable

#MAGA!
link 04/07/17 02:13:41PM @therealbruce:

You're being clever I see.

Flagging unavailable

Bob Nelson
link 04/07/17 02:15:55PM @bob-nelson:

Wink

Flagging unavailable

Hal A. Lujah
link 04/07/17 01:25:51PM @hal-a-lujah:

Can you please create a troll alert button too?  There is an obvious one among us.

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/08/17 02:15:22PM @jerry-verlinger:

Can you please create a troll alert button too?  There is an obvious one among us.

From what I understand, everybody knows who the troll is on this thread, so he should simply be ignored.

Anyway, I don't understand why the mods have not taken his comments out for being off topic.

This is supposed to be a serious discussion about an important change in our reporting system, and we're allowing the site nit-wit to play games.  

Flagging unavailable

Gunny
link 04/08/17 03:01:01PM @gunny:

Yes we know who "they" are.  To inform you there are more than one troll here but that is also up to each individual to make up their own mines who the trolls are.  So with the flag system those trolls can be put in check.

Flagging unavailable

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link 04/08/17 01:03:57PM @perrie-halpern:

I would like to explain something that might be confusing some members.

When the mods receive a report, we check it out. But sometimes, the comment might be considered "offensive" in some way or another to that individual reporting, if it doesn't meet the standards of a CoC violation, we will NOT take action on it. That doesn't mean you did anything wrong, but rather that it doesn't meet the standards of a violation. No harm, no foul. 

Flagging unavailable

Buzz of the Orient
link 04/10/17 09:16:33PM @buzz-of-the-orient:

"No harm, no foul."

Save that it could count towards misuse of the system - depending on the attitutude of the mod.

Flagging unavailable

Peter Loves the Real Tea Party.
link 04/08/17 10:21:16PM @peter-loves-the-real-tea-party:

I knew this was only two days old as that is how long I've been receiving notifications for it, about 5-10 per hour. The sheer volume suggests that nobody really knows how to properly use the new system yet. That is confirmed by the volume of comments being flagged that are not even close to being violations.

Unfortunately, this function is NOT a disagreement button. You all can accomplish disagreement via discourse easily enough. No need to push that button every time you dont like something you read.

Flagging unavailable

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link 04/08/17 10:35:51PM @perrie-halpern:

Hi Peter, 

I agree, with this:

That is confirmed by the volume of comments being flagged that are not even close to being violations.

Unfortunately, this function is NOT a disagreement button. 

I am seeing way too many comments that are not CoC violations that are not... not in the least. They may offend the reader, but that is part of life. 

Have you had a chance to check out the function?

Flagging unavailable

link 04/08/17 10:41:01PM @peter-loves-the-real-tea-party:

I've looked it over a little. I'll be spending part of tomorrow re-familiarizing myself with everything in greater detail though.

Or rather, I've seen the effects of it, lol. The button is pretty simple.

Flagging unavailable

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link 04/08/17 10:49:49PM @perrie-halpern:

Did you see the report chart? It does make life much easier. 

Flagging unavailable

pat wilson
link 04/08/17 11:00:16PM @pat-wilson:

Did you see the report chart? 

Where is that ?

Also, does the person who posts an offending comment get a notice that their post was flagged ?

Flagging unavailable

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link 04/08/17 11:04:31PM @perrie-halpern:

Hi Pat,

The report chart goes to the mods.

Also, does the person who posts an offending comment get a notice that their post was flagged ?

No. If an item is deemed to be a violation then the usual CoC mark up in purple will happen. This is pretty much the way it went down at NV. 

Flagging unavailable

link 04/08/17 11:24:08PM @peter-loves-the-real-tea-party:

No, but I will probably connect with you or Randy tomorrow and see what and where everything is these days.

Flagging unavailable

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link 04/08/17 11:27:18PM @perrie-halpern:

OK cool. Looking forward to that! 

Flagging unavailable

Jerry Verlinger
link 04/10/17 11:20:42PM @jerry-verlinger:

Did you see the report chart?

What is that?

Or is a mod thing and this "Peter' is Peter Faden who is still a moderator?

Flagging unavailable

Dowser
link 04/09/17 12:29:51PM @dowser:

((((((((((((Peter)))))))))))  Great to see you!

Flagging unavailable

Randy
link 04/08/17 10:53:20PM @randy:

The only one time I've used it is once to report the SPAM the keeps showing up in the center column on the FP. Is there a different way I should report that?

Flagging unavailable

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link 04/08/17 11:05:15PM @perrie-halpern:

Spam can come to me by email. I usually check for it every morning anyway. 

Flagging unavailable

Randy
link 04/08/17 11:06:46PM @randy:

10-4 young lady.

Flagging unavailable

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link 04/08/17 11:43:09PM @perrie-halpern:

10-4 young lady.

You just made the day for this middle aged lady 

Flagging unavailable

Randy
link 04/09/17 12:22:44AM @randy:

(chuckle) It's sincere (honestly), but it's also from being a hotel manager and hotel teacher. I used to teach it in my classes. Every woman, no matter her age (or especially if she was not young), was to be referred to as a "Young lady" or if she was alone "Miss". "This young lady needs a room with a nice view." "Can I help you Miss?" It makes them smile and feel more welcome and I took things like those feelings very, very seriously at my hotels. I traveled a lot in my job, so when I managed hotels it was always important to me that the guests felt relaxed and at home.

Flagging unavailable