╌>

Administrator Sues School District After Being Reassigned for Teaching Yoga in School

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  pat-wilson  •  7 years ago  •  13 comments

Administrator Sues School District After Being Reassigned for Teaching Yoga in School

An elementary school assistant principal is suing her school district for violating her First Amendment rights after the school allegedly sent her to a "lower performing" school as a form of retaliation for bringing yoga to her students.

Bonnie Cole, now the assistant principal at Mableton Elementary in Mableton, Ga., introduced yoga to students at Bullard Elementary in Kennesaw, Ga., in 2016 as a way of teaching "de-stressing" and "mindfulness."

Parents, however, criticized the school for teaching religion because of the use of the word "namaste" during yoga instruction and for leading children to put their hands together at their hearts and bowing - a traditional closing used in many Western yoga classes.

Bullard parents held a prayer rally in protest of the school-based yoga instruction, asking for "Jesus to rid the school of Buddhism," according to the  Atlanta Journal-Constitution . Two parents took things further, going up to Cole's office window and placing their hands on it to pray for yoga - and religion - to be taken out of their children's school.

Eventually, the school moved to  ban  the word "namaste" outright, as well as anything that could be interpreted as bowing. Bullard Elementary's principal, Patrice Moore, went so far as to send children home with a letter of apology to all parents, according to  11Alive.com , writing, "I am truly sorry that the mindfulness/de-stressing practices here at Bullard caused many misconceptions that in turn created a distraction in our school and community. While we have been practicing de-stressing techniques in many classrooms for years, there have been some recent practices associated with mindfulness that are offensive to some."

In her letter, the Bullard principal also noted that healing crystals would not be used or taught about in classes; despite crystals' never having been used or taught about at Bullard, many parents apparently believed that they were, as a result of yoga and "de-stressing" being taught in school.

The word "namaste," however, is used by many Hindu speakers as a simple form of salutation or greeting . It translates as "I bow to you" and does not have a religious connotation; rather, it is meant as a  recognition  of the soul of one person by the soul of another and does not have an intrinsic connection to the practice of yoga itself.

In her federal lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Cole claims that being reassigned to Mableton from Bullard by the Cobb County School District as a result of the namaste snafu not only added 16 miles to her commute but also resulted in income loss, "humiliation," and "indignities" that have negatively affected her career as an educator, reports the  Atlanta Journal-Constitution .

Cole claims that the yoga practice introduced to Bullard students was never done as a religious practice and that the school district's assertions that the practice of yoga veered in that direction are not only incorrect but also hypocritical, as daily emails were sent to staff during that same period containing Christian scripture-based devotionals.

Cole's suit states, "Not only was the capitulation and transfer a humiliating and public demonstration of the district's lack of support of Ms. Cole, it made clear to the community that religious activities will be allowed as long as they are part of the 'accepted' religion of Christianity."

When reached for comment by Yahoo Beauty, the Cobb County School District's spokesperson Donna Lowry said that the district would give no comment on pending litigation. Bonnie Cole has yet responded to Yahoo Beauty's request for comment on the situation.

In 2015, a California Court of Appeal ruled that the yoga classes  taught  in a California school district were "devoid of any religious, mystical, or spiritual trappings," according to the Washington Post .  And thus they were considered secular and were allowed to be taught in public schools under the First Amendment.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   seeder  pat wilson    7 years ago

Reverse political correctness ?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

My ex-wife was a qualified yoga instructor. I never thought of it as being a religious practice, but as a stress-reducer and exercise. Considering what is happening in America, I think it would probably be more acceptable to give the students copies of the Quoran.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Considering what is happening in America, I think it would probably be more acceptable to give the students copies of the Quoran.

Well I don't think the parents who were complaining about the yoga would find that acceptable. The fact that they found yoga offensive is so bizarre to me.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Bizarre to me as well, to the extent that I added that "super-duper" sarcastic comment.  Those people sound like book-burners.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

Like many other people, I have taken yoga. There are different types of yoga but the purpose of it is to attain spiritual enlightenment in Hinduism. But religion can be stripped out of it so it's just stretching or a moving meditation. When taught that way, it's like Tai Chi. If the teacher is not a Hindu, then the yoga he/she teaches can be nothing other than secular.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

Namaste certainly does have a religious connotation depicted the article. Nonetheless this seems like a stupid thing to overreact to. These families need to grow up. They are acting like snowflakes. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Namaste certainly does have a religious connotation depicted the article.

It generally means " the divine in me honors the divine in you".  It's a simple spiritual concept.

Nonetheless this seems like a stupid thing to overreact to.

Amen ;-)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Good one Pat!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Mindfulness, is at the core of one of the best mental health programs around called Dialectical Behavioral Therapy of DPT. Yoga uses mindfulness to control emotional states that are detrimental. A program for kids who are having behavioral issues that included Yoga, and it's traditional salutation, is hardly religious.

My daughter has been involved in developing DBT for children with autism and yoga is an integral part of that.  Her students who have been involved in the program far exceed those that are not in the program in impulse control. 

Wow talk about being not enlightened. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   seeder  pat wilson    7 years ago

Yoga uses mindfulness to control emotional states 

One of the classes I attend is focused on orthopedic therapy using yoga practice. I expect to be doing parkour in the next few years. ;-)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Good! Then I know you are good enough to guard me from my kids, LOL!