╌>

March for Science: Rallies worldwide to protest against political interference

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  8 comments

March for Science: Rallies worldwide to protest against political interference

_95746027_sciencemarchtrue.jpg

Thousands of scientists have taken part in demonstrations around the world in protest against what they see as a global political assault on facts.

The first-ever March for Science, which was timed to coincide with Earth Day, was aimed at promoting action to protect the environment.

Organisers said it was a celebration of science and a call to support and safeguard the scientific community.

The main event was held in Washington DC.

The event's promoters said the march in the US capital was not aimed against President Donald Trump, while adding that his administration had "catalysed" the movement.

_95746029_sciencegeneva.jpg

_95746031_sciencevienna.jpg

At the demonstration in Washington DC, Dr Jonathan Foley, the executive director of the California Academy of Sciences, said that research was being irrationally questioned, adding that attacks from politicians "amounted to oppression".

"They're specifically targeting science that protects our health, our safety and the environment. Science that protects the most vulnerable among us," he said.

"Some people will suffer, some could even die," Dr Foley added.

From climate change and pollution to medicine, men and women who support science were motivated on Saturday by the coverage of the recent Women's March and are mobilising to make their concerns head.

_95746033_sciencesydney.jpg

_95746137_sciencesydneycrowd.jpg

_95746139_sciencegermany.jpg

Organisers of the March for Science Vienna, in Austria, earlier said on the group's Facebook page that it was encouraging people to turn out to join a movement that began shortly after Mr Trump entered the White House.

Mr Trump has previously called climate change a hoax and his views have raised concerns among the scientific community that the public are beginning to doubt the facts provided as scientific evidence.

_95746143_sciencelondon.jpg

In London, scientists and science enthusiasts marched from the Science Museum to Parliament Square.

Many were protesting against what they consider to be an "alarming trend" among politicians for discrediting their research.

_95746577_sciencelondonballoons.jpg

The aim of the March for Science was to bring scientists and their research closer to the general public.

Organisers are of the view that it can be challenging for scientists to communicate with the public and are even actively encouraging scientists to become politicians so that their voices can be effectively heard.

_95749691_washington.jpg

_95749695_sciencedc.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-39679629

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

I honestly don't understand how anyone can be so ignorant as to be against science? I really mean it. I don't see it in these pictures but someone on TV the other night had a sign that said "Got Polio? Me neither! Thank You Science!" Without science we would have never beaten Smallpox. Really, really think about that. A disease that used to kill hundreds of thousands of people has been completely wiped out! GONE!  Throughout the entire world! All because of science. Millions of people who would have otherwise died of nearly countless diseases are now living full, healthy lives, because of science.

Without science we could have never had a space program and put men on the Moon. We could ever understand that the Earth revolves around the Sun and! not the other way around and that Earth is NOT the center of the Universe. We could have never discovered that there are billions of stars in our galaxy, many of which are like ours and may have life, but even more that there are billions of other galaxies, more then there are grains of sand on every beach on Earth.

I get that some people don't like science (though it was one of my favorite courses every year in school) and that some people don't understand science, so they may even fear it because of that. But hate it? All any person has to do is to open their eyes and see the wonderful things science has brought us.

Has it all been great? No, of course not. Sadly science also brought us things like chemical weapons and nuclear bombs and missiles. It has brought us more efficient ways to torture and kill each other. In the wrong hands some science has been a nightmare. Still, we can not hate it all because of those who would misuse it!

I think it's just a case of some people wanting other people to fear and hate science because ignorant people are more easy to control and bend to their will.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Liberals have historically been anti science. They fought nuclear power for decades, ushering in global warming. They have no understanding of risk analysis. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Here are some more heroes for science in Washington D.C. I have a theory that Donald Trump does not understand science (because he is not smart enough because his dad bought his way through school without him learning anything but real estate, like foreign governments, history, world wars, climate, the sexes, etc), so he fears it or is easily swayed by those who do or have been bought off by those who can't profit from it and whose profits are hurt by it. However what those idiots (like that bought and paid for fossil fuel whore moron Scott Pruitt) who are hating on science because it cuts into their profits from sticking with fossil fuels are blind to, is that the new money, the really big new money, will be made in renewable energy and that only incredibly ignorant people will not be investing in it and building new jobs in it right now.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Interesting, today was ''no coal'' day in London. They went 24 hours without any power being generated from coal.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

We need a no coal America. Not just a day, but forever.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Randy   7 years ago

England is really headed in that direction. Hopefully we will as well.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

China is too. They are so sick (literately and figuratively) of the smog in Beijing that they are destroying every coal fired plant in the Provence and all around the Provence too. The masks their people have to wear are not saving their lungs any longer. They have huge amounts of and and are dedicating massive amounts of it to wind and solar power. They are going to dump their nuclear power plants as soon as they age out too. Unfortunately when the build a plant outside of China, such as in Africa or Indonesia, they are still using coal fired plants because they don't give a shit about the air there. That is the only market for American coal and it is almost gone because China has plenty and they don't care how many miners die digging it in old fashioned ways and many do. Hundreds of Chinese coal miners die every year. It happens so often that it is not even reported any longer, not that the government controlled press would anyway.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I am going to bed now, so I am going to lock this article until I get up. I mean the last thing I want is some jerk complaining about how I deal with my articles. Thank you and good night.