╌>

I have some Nasty Neighbors … and the Law Protects them … Fortunately.

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  10 comments

I have some Nasty Neighbors … and the Law Protects them … Fortunately.

uigagu_rattler1sm.jpg

Crotalus horridus ~ The Timber Rattlesnake

© A. Mac

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Emphasis on "horridus" … an endangered species protected by law.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

We have plenty of Timber Rattlers around here Mac. Highly venomous.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
link   Old Hermit    7 years ago

Nice work as always A-mac!

Haven't seen any Rattlesnakes up around the cabin but there are several cotton mouths down in the hollow, a few acres back.

I mainly get visits from black/rat snakes, taking advantage of the hot decking and the abundance of field mice around the place.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

We have several places that are infested with Timber Rattlers, Cotton Mouths, etc., nearby here--  that picture makes me want to Run Away!

Great picture, dear A. Mac, but I hope I don't see one up close!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    7 years ago

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Petey Coober   7 years ago

Thanks, Petey,

My understanding has been that cats are quite fearful of snakes … but your photo puts that in doubt.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

You could still be correct about most cats . There are a few of them who are unusually fearless . I've even seen a video of a cat who would defend against alligators !

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Petey Coober   7 years ago

Run away, sweet Kitty!!!  Run away!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

I haven't seen any rattlers since Joan and I left Fountain Hills, Arizona (Northeast of Scottsdale, right next to an Apache Reservation and a Pima Reservation), even out here in the desert. Back there we lived one house away from a large wildlife preserve (62,000acres if I remember right?) and we had Rattlers, Coyotes, Tarantulas, Scorpions and all sorts of other fun neighbors to watch out for. The Rattlers tended to avoid populated areas and the Tarantulas were harmless, though a bit startling to see walking across your living room floor, but you really had to be the most worried about the Scorpions. They liked to be in small dark places, like the toes of shoes, so you had to turn your shoes or your boots upside down and shake them really good every time before you put them on, just in case. Every once in a great while one would drop out, but you already had the weapon in hand to smush them good.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Although the house I grew up in backed onto a ravine, where I spent much of my time alone as a little kid, there were garter snakes that didn't frighten me, but I was always on the lookout for and afraid of rattlers, yet I don't recall ever seeing one.