╌>

The Seven Wonders Of The World

Category:  World News

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  8 comments

The Seven Wonders Of The World

Here is a quiz for y'all. 

See how many of the 7 wonders of the world you can name. There are four categories. 

1. The original seven wonders of the world , which are related to antiquity.

2. The "modern" seven wonders of the world.

3. The "natural" seven wonders of the world as listed by CNN in 1999. 

4. And the seven wonders of the world as voted by online readers in a 2007 poll. 

I'll give you some broad hints. The ancient ones center around the Mediterranean area.  The "modern" ones are man made creations, the "natural" ones are the worlds awe inspiring geographic locations, and the online poll is a little bit of everything. 

I'll post the answers in the article later.

No cheating. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

I think anyone who got 2-4 right in any of the categories would probably be doing pretty good. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

The pyramids of Giza and the hanging gardens of babylon. (those are the old ones)

That's what I got. I used to know all of the ancient ones. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

You are correct with both. There are a couple others of the old ones people might be able to guess, but some of the other old ones would require that someone remember them from when they orginally heard of them. They can't really be guessed at. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I would add the Great Wall of China to those. But now I see that it was not added until later - surely it is as amazing a construction as some of the other originals mentioned.  Although I watched from my office window the CN Tower in Toronto being built, I would not have thought it to be a wonder, but then surely Niagara Falls should have been added.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

Since this article disappeared off the front page into the black hole of Newstalkers in less than 45 minutes, never to be seen again, I will just post the answers now

The Seven Wonders of the World has historically been a listing of seven sites known to the Ancient Greeks as the most notable locales in their known world.

Since then, many have developed lists of the "modern" Seven Wonders of the World. The only list that really stands out and has stood the test of time for more than a decade is the Seven Wonders of the Modern World, developed by the American Society of Civil Engineers.

THE ORIGINAL SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD

1. The Colossus of Rhodes : A statue of the Greek sun god Helios. Built in the city of Rhodes in 280 BC, the nearly 100-foot-high statue was destroyed in an earthquake in 226 B.C.
  2. The Great Pyramid of Giza : With construction that ended around 2560 B.C., the pyramid is the oldest of the original seven wonders. The massive structure still stands in Egypt.
  3. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon : With little historical documentation, not much is known of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. They may be mythical, they may have been built by king Nebuchadnezzar II around 600 B.C., or they may have been located in the Assyrian city of Nineveh by king Sennacherib around 700 B.C.
  4. The Lighthouse of Alexandria : Built around 280 B.C., the Lighthouse of Alexandria stood around 400 feet tall and was the tallest building in the world for centuries. It was damaged by several earthquakes, and in 1480, its ruins were used to construct the Citadel of Qaitbay, a fortress that still stands on Pharos Island.

1. The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus : Located in today's Bodrum, Turkey, the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus was built as the tomb of Mausolus around 350 B.C. The structure was destroyed by a series of earthquakes between the 12th and 15th centuries.
  2. The Statue of Zeus at Olympia : Built sometime around 435 B.C. by the Greek sculptor Phidias, the statue stood over 40 feet tall and represented Zeus on a cedar throne. The work was ornamented with gold and ivory. The statue was lost or destroyed sometime in the 5th century, although the exact nature of the work's loss remain unknown.

1. The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus : Located in eastern Turkey, the Temple of Artemis's age is unknown, for it was rebuilt several times. The third temple, and the one referenced by the Greeks as a wonder of the world, was constructed beginning in 323 B.C. The structure was destroyed by the Goths in 268 A.D.

THE SEVEN WONDERS OF THE MODERN WORLD ( SEE PHOTOS )

1. Channel Tunnel : The 50 kilometer tunnel running under the English Channel to connect England to France.
  2. CN Tower : The 533 meter-high needle-like tower in downtown Toronto, Canada. At the time of its construction in 1976, it was the tallest building in the world. 
  3. Empire State Building : The iconic skyscraper in Manhattan, New York City. The 102-story building was the tallest in the world from 1931 to 1970.
  4. Golden Gate Bridge : San Francisco's iconic bridge first opened in 1937 and was the world's longest suspension bridge for nearly 30 years.
  5. Itaipu Dam : Located on the border of Brazil and Paraguay, the Itaipu Dam is the second largest in the world for energy generation.
  6. Netherlands North Sea Protection Works : A massive series of dams, levees, locks, and barriers that protect the low-lying Netherlands from the sea.
  7. Panama Canal : Completed in 1917, the massive engineering project connects the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. A new and larger canal opened in 2016.

SEVEN NATURAL WONDERS OF THE WORLD

In 1997, CNN announced a listing of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World...

1. Grand Canyon
  2. The Great Barrier Reef
  3. The Harbor at Rio de Janeiro
  4. Mt. Everest
  5. Northern Lights
  6. Paricutin Volcano
  7. Victoria Falls

THE "NEW" SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD

On July 7, 2007 (7-7-07) an organization announced a "new" set of the Seven Wonders of the World based on online voting from around the world...

1. Chichen Itza, Mexico - Mayan City
  2. Christ Redeemer, Brazil - Large Statue
  3. The Great Wall, China
  4. Machu Picchu, Peru
  5. Petra, Jordan - Ancient City
  6. The Roman Colosseum, Italy
  7. The Taj Mahal, India

Ultimately, any list of the Seven Wonders of the World is subjective, based on the individual or group of individuals who developed the list. No one list is authoritative, even the original Ancient list. But looking at and learning from these lists and how they change over time can tell us a lot about our cultural values and accomplishments.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I have been to only two of the "New" wonders: Petra in Jordan and The Great Wall. Had my wife not been nervous about going to Rio I would have seen the Christ Redeemer statue there.  I had won a week long trip for two - airfare and hotel - from buying a $100 ticket from a Community Service organization, and my wife made me go to the Travel Agency that provided it and change it to a much less expensive and crummier week in Miami Beach, and it rained or was cold the whole time we were there - had to wear a sweater for the one day that the sun shone.

I've not seen any of the "Original" wonders, but other than the ones I mentioned above, I've been up the CN Tower, viewed NYC from the observation deck of the Empire State Building, crossed the Golden Gate Bridge, and watched the Northern Lights from the balcony of my lakeside cottage in the Haliburton Lakes district of Ontario.

Another question to ask here is for members to indicate which of the Wonders they have actually been to. I would imagine that most Americans would indicate Grand Canyon, Empire State Building and Golden Gate Bridge.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

Northern Lights

Far and away my natural favorite though I never saw them until I was stationed in North Dakota! When they were active there was nothing like standing out on a flat site (OK like the top of a ICBM Silo) and just watching them across from one side of the horizon to the other! Even though it was usually about minus 15 degrees. They were like some sort of science fictional dance in the sky!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

I agree Randy, the Northern Lights are super natural...I lived far enough north that I would see them often.