╌>

Saudi Arabia elected to UN women's council despite gender inequality in kingdom

Category:  World News

Via:  perrie-berlin-halpern  •  7 years ago  •  15 comments

Saudi Arabia elected to UN women's council despite gender inequality in kingdom

This is why I think that the UN is a worthless body and we should stop supporting them. They have just elected Saudi Arabia, a country with one of the worst, if not the worst record on women's equality for a 4 year term to the UN women's council. What an absolute insult to women everywhere. What the heck are they thinking?

What makes matters worse, is that no US news site is reporting this. If you read the addy on this article, you will see that it's ABC's Australian division. Hello, afraid to tell Americans what they are paying for? 

Read more here

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Berlin-Halpern
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Perrie Berlin-Halpern    7 years ago

Well what do you think? I think that the UN is a useless body and a waste of our money. Do you think they are worth $1.2 Billion annually, especially when this kind of stuff goes on?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Perrie Berlin-Halpern   7 years ago

I agree in some instances the UN is useless. There is one area that they are on the forefront, and that is fighting for Indigenous rights across the world.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

There is one area that they are on the forefront, and that is fighting for Indigenous rights across the world.

And yet they let the slaughter in Rwanda happen right under their noses. How effective they are at these causes should be evaluated. Maybe our money could be better spent with some other human rights organization?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Because they have no penalty power to enforce a dictate they pretty much have to rely on embarrassing the government that is committing violations...Canada knows how that works quite well.

It something like the ICWA great idea but if the states don't follow it there is no penalty to the state.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Perrie Berlin-Halpern   7 years ago

I agree. They are a failure.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  Perrie Berlin-Halpern   7 years ago

I agree. Like so many other institutions their original mission was noble, then over time they become corrupted and often detrimental to their own goals, think EPA for one.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

You are correct that the UN was created with good intentions. The first time I visited the UN buildings in NYC I was a teenager, watched a great speech made in the General Assembly, marvelled at the architecture and artwork - all presenting hope - hope for world peace, cooperation among the countries of the world.  Yes, I was so impressed, so wishing that its purpose would be achieved, and now so disappointed with its failure. A fall from great heignts is so much more devestating than when expectations are not so high.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    7 years ago

I can't help but wonder if they are there to learn, or there to teach.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Now you have me scared. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I feel disgusted about this in so many ways, and yet, sort of resigned, too.  It is what it is, and I despair of it ever getting better...  Sigh!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I think that as Americans we should be able to state our opinion on this and whether or not we want to pay for this useless organization. It's a freaking joke. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming     7 years ago

from what I read the vote is taken by secret ballot so there is absolutely no way to figure out who voted for who to be on the panel or even who is nominated to be voted onto the panel.  or even if there is any criteria needed to be a nominee other than UN membership.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

For years I have been critical of the UN, not only for its uselessness and almost total waste of money, but the fact that it does more harm than good.  Canadian General Romeo Dallaire has pointed out its peacekeeping shortcomings, enough to make the late Canadian Prime Minister and Nobel Peace Prize laureate who started the UN's peacekeeping missions to solve the Suez crisis turn over in his grave.

UN fails to keep the peace in Rwanda.  As genocide raged, general's pleas for help ignored.

UNRWA, which funds and perpetuates the multiple generations called Palestinian "refugees" does no more than guarantee that the Palestinian refusal to make peace with Israel will never end, and the biased UN Human Rights org that includes countries like Mauritania (which condones slavery) will continue to spend most of its time criticizing Israel.

The UN Historical org will continue to rename ancient Jewish historical sites such as Rachel's Tomb and the Western Wall of the Second Temple in Jerusalem with Arabic names in order to wipe out the history of the Jews in Israel.  How would you feel if they were to rename the Washington Monument with an Arabic name?

Although Kavika has pointed out one of the very few benefits of that organization, and I believe that its World Health Organiztion (WHO) is important especially its works on epidemics, I am convinced, and have been for years, that the USA should throw that useless corrupt biased organization out of America and severely reduce any support for it - i.e. maintain only enough financial support to enable the USA to retain membership and its position on the Security Council.