╌>

5 Scientifically Supported Benefits of Prayer

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  33 comments

5 Scientifically Supported Benefits of Prayer

According to a 2013 Pew Research Poll, over half of Americans pray every day. A 2012 poll found that over 75 percent of Americans believe that prayer is an important part of daily life. Other polls indicate that even some atheists and religiously unaffiliated individuals admit that they sometimes pray.

Our species has probably been praying for as long as we have been able to contemplate our existence. And though we may never be able to establish evidence that a deity or  spiritual  force actually hears our prayers, in recent years, scientists have begun to consider the potential tangible (i.e., measurable) effects of prayer. And this research suggests that prayer may be very beneficial.

So here are five scientifically-supported benefits of prayer:

(Cont;d)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

Scientists and public intellectuals who are critical of religion, focus on what they believe to be the irrationality of  religious  belief. Why waste time believing in things that have no supporting scientific evidence?

These critics typically fail to consider the fact that scientific studies are finding measureable benefits of religious faith. As I have discussed  here  and  here , religion is complicated. It can be both good and bad for your health depending on a number of variables.

However, there is a growing body of evidence indicating that prayer, a behavior often associated with religion, can be beneficial for individuals and society

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Does that mean that my saying or writing "Oh my God" (or the acronym OMG), or in the event of facing a bad situation, saying "God help me" mean i am praying?  If so, I guess I could be said to pray every day.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Now that I think about it, I'm also known to say "God give me strength" on occasion, and even "God damn it!" now and then. I never thought I was that religious.

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    7 years ago

It doesn't matter who or what you pray to, the act itself is beneficial to a persons psychological well being.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Aeonpax   7 years ago

you are wise

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Aeonpax   7 years ago

That didn't work out too good for those that saw Jim Jones as a God. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

When a village gets buried in a mudslide, the majority of villagers won't be able to tell you about how badly their prayers failed - because they were uttered with their last dying gasps.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Aeon didn't say prayer would perform physical miracles or bend the laws of nature, she said it helps people feel better and cope with their problems. 

I don't know why you always have to fight reality about this. About 85-90% of Americans believe in God, even after decades of aggressive atheism. I think belief is here to stay. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago
The words 'reality' and 'God' don't even belong in the same sentence. I have a tendency to talk to myself in my head, a lot. I say things like "man, I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow", or "that would be great if my Amazon package arrives today". I suppose you all would call that 'prayer'.

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Faith and Religion has always had charlatans and abusers.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Aeonpax   7 years ago

So it does matter who or what you pray to. 

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

If that's want you want to believe, then so be it. As I see it, humans can pervert and contaminate anything that appears good. History bears that out.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

If you click the link, the best advice you get about prayer is the first thing you see -  Find a Therapist.

IMG_7078.JPG

Fermit The Krog
Freshman Silent
link   Fermit The Krog  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

For only $14.95 we can all purchase a total gym and Chuck Norris says it will make us all feel better.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

Prayer is simply a reinforcement exercise of behavioral mind control.  It's been used very successfully in getting people to murder, rape, suppress, oppress, molest, and confess.  

Fermit The Krog
Freshman Silent
link   Fermit The Krog  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Prayer makes you a monster?

This sounds like a testimonial. What did it make you do?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

You sound a little extreme there PJ. Happy

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I pray every morning, 7 days a week, in a quorum. To the best of my knowledge, none of us is or has been convicted of any of the crimes you have listed.

However, among the weekday regulars, you can count 8 doctors, an attorney, a bicycle shop owner, a print shop owner, 2 executive recruiters, 3 RNs, a teacher, a pharmacist, a grocer, 2 auto repairmen and a few people who work in retail.

Your comment embodies willful ignorance.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Jonathan P   7 years ago

In the Sudan, believers pray to God for water.  Usually the prayers go unanswered, and parents are forced to leave their dehydrated children to die on the side of the dirt road while they continue on in search of water and food.  You and your pals must be doing something right for God to treat you so much better. 

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

We also learn that G-d answers all our prayers, with "NO" being the answer most of the time.

The application of logic plays a great role in incorporating faith into life in general.

The problem with your example is that no one has ever explained to the people of Sudan that they live in a desert.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

I'm pretty sure that they are keenly aware that they live in a desert.  Your problem is that you believe that in the minority of the time God actually says 'yes', rather than the obvious explanation that sometimes things just go your way.  Listening to you, one would think that there's a God who has a reason to enable an American to get a loan to start a bicycle shop, and also has a reason to deny a dying Sudanese child some water.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

By definition God is a "supernatural" entity, beyond our ability to discern it's purposes.  The various religions attempt to figure God out, but it is really not something they can actually do. 

Occasionally people feel close to God, which we know as mystical or spiritual experience. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Trotting out the get-out-of-jail-free card again?  Supernatural - how convenient for religionists.  Too bad you all are dictated to by doctrines with fantastical stories where Mr. Supernatural showed up in person all the time.  I guess that got old, so He went into eternal hiding.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Jonathan P   7 years ago

What does your praying have to do with anything?  Are you claiming that wars have not been started purposefully because of religion?  Are you claiming that children have not been raped and molested by priests and other religion fanatics?  Are you claiming that some religions don't suppress women?  Are you claiming that some religions don't oppress populations?

No JP, your turning a blind eye is willful ignorance.  My comment is reality and fact.  Does it happen all the time, no, but it happens enough that you should at minimum acknowledge it rather than riddle off someone's credentials and tell me I should accept that they are good people simply because of their profession.

I missed you bestie!

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Typical of both of you to ignore the central thesis of my very, very short post.

Here, let me retype it for you. I'll even go block quote, so as not to add to your confusion:

The application of logic plays a great role in incorporating faith into life in general.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Logic?  My turn to repeat:

Listening to you, one would think that there's a God who has a reason to enable an American to get a loan to start a bicycle shop, and also has a reason to deny a dying Sudanese child some water.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

The worth of prayer doesn't depend on your opinion of it. It depends on the opinion of the one who prays. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

... and the person's definition of 'prayer'.  As I said above, atheists and religionists say much the same things in their heads - religionists just preface it with "dear God" for some bizarre reason.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

PJ, the fact that some religious authorities misuse their position has no bearing on whether or not prayer is a good thing for many people. Think about it. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jonathan P   7 years ago

"Your comment embodies willful ignorance."

I thought the word "willful" meant intended. In this case I would omit the word "willful".

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

I: can see how prayer can have great benefit-- in fact, this can be true whether of not a God actually exists.