Kyle Griffin added,

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago
FOX News  · 12 minutes ago

Emmanuel  Macron , the centrist and political newcomer, on Sunday beat the far-right Marine Le Pen to  win  the French presidential election. In a contest that put the passionately pro-European …

-

Kyle Griffin Retweeted Donald J. Trump

This tweet hasn't aged very well.

Kyle Griffin added,

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Projections are that he received 65% to Pen's 35....

That is a real ass kicking.

He should call Trump and brag that he received a much larger per cent of the vote than Trump did...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

60075423x2940x627.jpg

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

We shouldn't be copying stock photos and using them on the site. Perrie could end up in a lot of trouble if the wrong person sees it. Just a word to the wise.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Didn't know that - changed it.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I hope you know I didn't mean any offense.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Absolutely. I appreciated your advice, and took it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

If your suggesting that the French only know how to surrender, you should take a history lesson Buzz.

I suggest that you study the ''Battle of Dunkirk''....It was what was left of the French army that held the Germans back for days allowing the British to escape.

It was also French ships/boats, that helped the British escape and the French Air Force that fought the Germans at Dunkirk.

The casualties suffered by the Germans at Dunkirk were staggering.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Okay, then they may previously have been courageous, but unfortunately they've forgotten since WW2 how to deal with those who attack them. Where is Zola when they need his clear vision?

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Okay, then they may previously have been courageous, but unfortunately they've forgotten since WW2 how to deal with those who attack them. Where is Zola when they need his clear vision?

Actually a lot of the myth about the French being unwilling to fight was created because of what happened in the second Gulf War-- France refused to participate. So many people were accusing them of being cowards. (But the real reason they refused to participate was that they didn't believe then lies about Saddam having nukes). 

And BTW, in the first Gulf War there really was a really large coalition (unlike the second Gulf War, a lot of Arab countries supported it). The nations contributing the largest numbers of troops were the U.S., Britain,and France as well as Egypt and Saudi Arabia.

(The French didn't participate in the second Gulf War because they thought it was wrong-- not due to any cowardice. They participated vigorously in the first Gulf War because they thought it was justified (Saddam had invaded and attempted to conquer a soverign country-- Kuwait).

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

100% correct. Since their right refusal to follow the U.S. and others into the folly of the Iraq war they have been hated and called cowards by many in America and unjustly so. Remember Freedom Fries instead of French Fries? The stupidity of the hatred was petty, amazing and just plain wrong. They didn't join in the invasion of Iraq out of intelligence, not out of cowardice.

We also must remember that France was America's first ally and hence has been our longest. Without their help in the American Revolution we would not have won and there would be no United States in the first place.

Krishna
Professor Expert

Buzz, I'm sure you remember that Israel fought several wars when simultaneously attacked by several Arab countries at once. And many of their victories against overwhelming numbers were amazing-- particularly the air battles. Mostly MIGs (Arab countries) vs various American jets (flown by Israel).. But I remember at least one where it was MIGS against Mirages & Mysteres (French planes). How come the Israelis were flying French-made planes and not American ones?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Business is business, Krishna - Please don't try to tell me that France gave those airplanes to Israel for free, or that they helped with Israel's nuclear development for no recompense.  When it comes to France's attitude towards Israel, I consider the factual history outlined here:

Krishna
Professor Expert

It takes a little help from a country that already has a nuclear reactor to start one of their own (I think they need to get things like Heavy water, etc).So who helped Israel in that regard. (Most people would guess the U.S., but actually we refused to help them. Instead there were only 2 other countries that gave Israel the support necessary to start a reactor when the U.S. failed-- what were those 2 countries?)

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

One of them was France. The French helping Israel with nuclear weapons goes back the shortly after Israel War for Independence, the late 1940's early 1950's.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

One of them was France. The French helping Israel with nuclear weapons goes back the shortly after Israel War for Independence, the late 1940's early 1950's.

Exactly!

And while its important to note that the French did help Israel get their nuclear programme goung, its also important to not an important country who did not.

Yes Buzz-- it was the United States refused to help Israel in that regard!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I suggest that you study the ''Battle of Dunkirk''....It was what was left of the French army that held the Germans back for days allowing the British to escape.

To say nothing of the extreme heroism of the French Resistance. They not only risked their lives daily blowing up weapons depots, railways, saving downed American pilots (such as Chuck Yeager) and helping out during the D-Day invasion. They saved many, many lives, though many died doing it.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    7 years ago

This was a victory not only for the French people, but for those people--worldwide-- who are opposed to extremism!

VIVE LA FRANCE!

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

It was a victory for the jihadists certainly. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Not really. In fact, it was a big defeat for them.

One of the main ways they radicalize average French Muslims is to convine them that they are persecuted, discrimiated against, and that life in unfair for them in France. They do their best to incite hatred (toards the French "non-believers"). To stoke great anger amongst average French Muslims-- and increase that anger 'till they are ready to perp[etrate violent acts.

And if Le Pen had won, that would have been easier. But with a moderate like  Macron in power, its more difficult for Islamists to make the case that their lives are miserable. (In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the most radical French Muslims voted for Le Pen-- for just that reason!)

Krishna
Professor Expert

One of the main ways they radicalize average French Muslims is to convine them that they are persecuted, discrimiated against, and that life in unfair for them in France. They do their best to incite hatred (toards the French "non-believers"). To stoke great anger amongst average French Muslims-- and increase that anger 'till they are ready to perp[etrate violent acts.

And if Le Pen had won, that would have been easier. But with a moderate like  Macron in power, its more difficult for Islamists to make the case that their lives are miserable. (In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the most radical French Muslims voted for Le Pen-- for just that reason!)

Krishna
Professor Expert

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Agreed Krishna.  I think the French people looked at Donald Trump and saw how vulgar and stupid he and his supporters are and they decided to ensure they didn't follow the path of the deplorables.  Good for them. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I think the French people looked at Donald Trump

Do you have any evidence for that "thought" ? I expect the only conclusion one can come to is that YOU are obsessed with Trump ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Petey Coober   7 years ago

Looks like Pj calls every person who supports their elected POTUS vulgar and stupid deplorables - kind of a broad brush, n'est ce pas?

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

pas du tout - C'est vrai

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert

Agreed Krishna.  I think the French people looked at Donald Trump and saw how vulgar and stupid he and his supporters are and they decided to ensure they didn't follow the path of the deplorables

But don't forget-- they were occupied by the Nazis during WWII-- so they have no love for fascism.

Krishna
Professor Expert

Agreed Krishna.  I think the French people looked at Donald Trump and saw how vulgar and stupid he and his supporters are and they decided to ensure they didn't follow the path of the deplorables

But don't forget-- they were occupied by the Nazis during WWII-- so they have no love for fascism.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Never mind the past. The French have surrendered to this. Now they can live with it.

franceterror2.jpeg

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz, the French election wasn't just about pulling out of the EU and NATO as most American media zeroed in on. Much of it was Frances past in North Africa (Algeria).

Le Pen, whose father fought the Algerians in the Algerian War for Independence being far right and unwilling to face French history in Algeria. Macron who represents the faction that wants France to come to terms with it's own past.

The Algerian War for Independence (1954 to 1962) has as much to do with the election as anything else being bandied about.

There are many excellent books written on the war. It ripped France apart, it was savage, brutal and civilians were targeted. It toppled a French government.

During that war there were people called Pieds Noirs or Black Feet,  who were French Christian and French Jews living in Algeria that fought against the Algerians fighting for independence. Ironic isn't it that both Christians and Jews fighting against a people trying to regain their independence after over 100 years of French colonization.

History is important Buzz.

Disclaimer...I am not supporting Islamic terrorism in any way shape for form. I am totally against it and yes, it is a huge concern for France and the world right now. But to think that France has surrendered to Islamic Terrorism isn't something, IMO, that is real...French history belies that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

The point I'm making here is in the photo above, and I don't think it has much to do with history. If I can survive more than a few years I hope I don't see my prediction come true.

Krishna
Professor Expert

Exactly!

And while its important to note that the French did help Israel get their nuclear programme goung, its also important to not an important country who did not.

Yes Buzz-- it was the United States refused to help Israel in that regard!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I did not bring up the subject of how the election affects Jews or Israel.  What I do know, however, is the greatly increased number of Jews who are packing their things and getting the hell out of France, so let's talk about the present situation, and what to expect in the near future. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Krishna,

Of course it took a Czechoslovakian and an American to remind them of their duty, just as it took an army to make them stop collaborating with the enemy.  

Anybody want to buy a French military rifle?  Never fired, only dropped once.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

It was a movie and the Free French fought bravely during the 2nd World War and the French Army and Air Corp during the First. The idea that they are somehow cowards is a disgusting lie.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

171705_600.jpg

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

It's good to see The Netherlands and now France reject extreme nationalism.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

And embrace jihadism.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

And go the way of Lebanon and Turkey (both USED to be Christian or secular).

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

This is tied with the best thing that happened today. The other being Barack Obama getting the Kennedy Award.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming     7 years ago

I found it interesting reading today that the 2nd largest voting block in the French elections , were those that either didn't vote at all , or left their ballots blank , meaning they chose neither of the candidates, they were saying that 1 out of 3 of the French voters either didn't vote , or left the ballot blank to the tune of about 16 million voters that were registered .