╌>

SNAP, GRACKLE & POP!

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  21 comments

SNAP, GRACKLE & POP!

I SNAP a shot of a GRACKLE, and, the new lens makes the shot POP!

Fair assessment … yes or no?

uigag_grackle17.12sm.jpg

Common Grackle

© A. Mac/A.G

uigag_finches17.15sm.jpg

House Finch Pair, Male & Female

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Good Morning.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    7 years ago

Absolutely great assessment and a beautiful picture.  We have grackles around the pond most days and the occasional turf war with the robins.

Thanks for providing a posting worth commenting on - we can always count on you

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Thank you, RIO; I'm as guilty as anyone for spending time on FP political articles. But I just got the top-lens-of-my-wish list and it has exceeded my expectations after only about 50 shots … sooooooo … I anticipate more and more posts of birds and other wildlife and possibly larger insects like butterflies.

Always glad to see you.

Because all of the initial shots with this lens were taken on an overcast morning, I am just itching to get it out on a sunny day when, instead of shooting at ISO 800/f5.6 … I might be shooting at ISO 400 or lower at f8! My project-priority is to get birds-in-flight at shutter speeds of 1/1000-1/2000 sec or faster.

Whoa! Fasten the seat belts!

I bought a shoulder strap that lets me carry this behemoth-of-a-camera at my side or hip with no strain on my neck, no banging on my chest and no holding atop my wrist; the camera slides along with the strap so I just grab the camera, bring it up to my eye and shoot.

With my Nikon D500, I can shoot at 10 frames/sec … and since all I need is one good frame per subject, it's almost guaranteed that I'll get on.

Can you tell I'm happy?

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

I can tell you are happy and looking at the pictures you share with us always brings a smile to my face.

Keep it up - even when I do not comment I enjoy your pictures very much.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Obviously that lens was a great buy, and I'm not talking about the cost, which was probably considerable.  However, it provides you with clarity, sharpness and excellent colour reproduction, besides enabling you to shoot from greater distances so as not to disturb the subjects.  I was thinking, though, that by using f16 instead of f5.6 you might make the backgrounds more distinct by increasing the depth of field, which could reduce the manner in which the subject stands out against the background.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Agreed, Buzz,

For such subjects I would never shoot at an aperture smaller than f8 ... and only then because a lens this large compresses background detail inherently.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Another thing - you said you would like to shoot at 1/2000th or faster.  I didn't know there were cameras that could shoot faster than 1/2000th.  I think my old Canon F1 could shoot at 1/2000th. Can your camera shoot faster?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz,

With the D500 I can shoot at speeds much faster than 1/2000 sec. I can shoot at ISO numbers as high as 51200!

But under most situations, ISO 1000-2000 are tops and only when there's no other way to get a shot I might not get otherwise.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

I can't believe the detail and color that this lens gets, Mac. The photo is very painterly. Beautiful. 

I see birdie pictures and it reminds me of my mother in law and I miss her. I always shared your photos with her, and she was one of your biggest fans. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss … if any of my pictures evokes good memories, that's a good thing.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Dear Friend Perrie: You have my private email for those quiet moments when you need someone to listen in confidence.

Enoch.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Fair assement, YES.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Posted a pair of Finches.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Now that is a cool photo Mac.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62    7 years ago

These are some of your best shots Mac.  I want to be like you when I grow up !Hanging loose

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Nona62   7 years ago

Thanks, Nona.

As for growing up, while we can't stop the aging process, I can always act immature.

But I thank you for your kind words.

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen    7 years ago

More great shots, AMac.  Love your bird photos.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Good night and thanks to all who came over; more tomorrow … and speaking of tomorrow … I hope to get out with the new lens for more pix.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Dear Friend AMac: Great pics.

Please do keep them coming, air, land or sea.

Enoch

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Please do keep them coming, air, land or sea.

Thanks, Enoch … I'm just gettin' started!