╌>

Trump's Cruel Budget Hits Congress As New Study Says Half Of All Retail Workers Will Lose Their Jobs In Next Ten Years

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  39 comments

Trump's Cruel Budget Hits Congress As New Study Says Half Of All Retail Workers Will Lose Their Jobs In Next Ten Years

The ten year mark is important because it is the far side of the Trump budget effects. And is the period in which it is estimated 7.5 million people who work in retail will lose their jobs to automation.  We are creeping toward dystopia. 

“If you’re on food stamps and you’re able-bodied, we need you to go to work. If you’re on disability insurance and you’re not supposed to be, you're not truly disabled, we need you to go back to work.”

Mick Mulvaney, Trump Budget Director

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The food stamp rolls are higher than they were before the great recession, even though the unemployment rate has dropped. Many of the jobs created in the past 8 years are very low paying, and people who take these jobs are often eligible for some food stamp assistance. We could raise the minimum wage and other low wages and reduce the need for food stamps, but out government would rather have the taxpayer feed the Walmart worker and other similar low wage workers, than have the company pay them a decent wage. Now, in the next 10 years, millions of more Americans will be without work due to automation. Trump's response ? Cut the social safety net further. Deny a minimum wage hike, cut welfare, cut food stamps, cut social security disability. Don't tax the rich, hurt the poor. The Republican way until proven otherwise. 

---

related

www.dailymail.co.uk

dailymail.co.uk

Experts warn 6M to 7.5M retail jobs are at risk of a robot takeover

Nearly half of Americans working in retail are at risk of losing their job to a robot, a new study has revealed.

An analysis has found up to 7.5 million jobs that deal with merchandise are set to be automated over the next decade.

The researchers discovered that those who work as cashiers have the highest risk of being replaced - and 73 percent of those positions are held by women.

Scroll down for video 

An analysis has found up to 7.5 million jobs that deal with merchandise are set to be automated over the next decade– leaving behind a large portion of 'stranded workers'. Those who work as cashiers have the highest risk of being replaced, and 73% of the positions are held by women

The study was released by  Cornerstone Capital Group  that found there are some 16 million American working in retail, 'which represents 10 percent of the nation's working population and generates 6 percent of U.S. gross domestic product (GDP),' reads a press release.

'This in-depth examination of retail automation gives investors insights as they consider investment risks and opportunities,' said Jon Lukomnik, IRRCi executive director.

'While the findings are important to investors, they should sound the alarm for economists and political leaders.'

'The shrinking of retail jobs in many ways threatens to mirror the decline in manufacturing in the U.S.'

Mobile devices:  Mobile apps enable consumers to scan a barcode or take a picture of a product to access product info or find other colors and sizes on the retailer’s ecommerce site

Self-checkout:  Customers scan and finalize purchase at terminal

Digital kiosks:  Touch screens that enable consumers to view product info, access customer reviews, and place orders for delivery

Proximity beacons:  Devices that alert shoppers to promotions or provide sales associates with information on frequent store visitors to deliver high- touch service

Workforce and task management solutions:  Software that analyzes, forecasts, and manages labor scheduling and task management

RFID technology:  Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tags enable enhanced inventory tracking throughout the supply chain

Autonomous robots:  Smart robots that aid in areas ranging from leading customers to desired products to inventory replenishment

Smart price tags:  Smart price tags can be changed in real time based on demand or other trends 

Sensor-based checkout:  Contactless checkout by automatic scanning of product as customer walks out of store

Smart shelves:  Sensor-based shelves that detect when inventory is low

'Moreover, in this case, workers at risk are already disproportionately working poor, so any disruption may cause strains in the social safety net and stresses on local tax revenues.'

The businesses are going to use robots for checking customers out, returning items to wracks and even cleaning up the store.

But the study found that they are still not advanced enough to takeover positions that require more interaction with the customers.

Robots will be used in sales positions, as they can easily find what items in the story people need. Lowe's has been using robots (pictured) for a few years that let people find any item just by letting the machine 'see it' 

Many major players, such as Macy's, J.C. Penney and Wal-Mart, have shut down numerous establishments in order to make up for the lost revenue, as retail has been on the decline for the past few years.

'These headwinds are pushing retailers to rethink the traditional retail business model,' reads the report.

'Retailers are investing in technology to build out their omnichannel platforms. In some cases, technology is complementing labor by providing a better customer experience.'

For this analysis, the team examined 30 retail companies and ten in-store technologies that will impact the industry, and take human jobs, were identified while investigating the businesses.

This included digital kiosks, proximity beacons and smart prices tags.

The squat orange robots use technology acquired when the company bought robot-maker Kiva Systems in 2012.

They navigate by scanning coded stickers on the floor, following digital commands that are beamed wirelessly from a central computer.

Inside Amazon: behind-the-scenes of the online marketplace

Each of the orange machines can slide under and then lift a stack of shelves that's four feet (1.2 meters) wide and holds up to 750 lbs (340kg) of merchandise.

The system uses bar codes to track which items are on each shelf, so a robot can fetch the right shelves for each worker as orders come in.

Because the robots travel underneath, the shelves can be stacked closely together, which means the warehouse can hold more goods. 

And because mobile technology is here to stay, many of the sale jobs will be gone because consumers can just look up what they need in the palm of their hand – instead of flagging down an employee.

For example, proximity beacons use the consumer's mobile phone location to alert them about personalized promotions.

Another technology listed in the analysis known as 'Just Walk Out', automatically identifies products taken or returned to shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart.

In some cases, technology is complementing labor by freeing workers from mundane tasks and facilitating a more personalized customer experience.

In some cases, technology is complementing labor by freeing workers from mundane tasks and facilitating a more personalized customer experience. But in other cases, stores could use smart robots like Pepper, pictured, to assist customers  

But the study found that in many others, technology has the potential to automate a significant part of the sales process and render a range of jobs redundant.

Taken together, store closures and technology have the potential to dramatically alter the employment landscape in America.

'The retail landscape is changing rapidly and investors need to understand the social and governance issues impacting valuations for public companies in this sector,' said Erika Karp, Cornerstone founder and chief executive officer.

'Retailers are facing a perfect storm: they need to balance demand for wage increases with the negative optics of future job losses.

The winners in retail will be companies that provide recruitment, retention and training for workers and innovate with forward-thinking future store strategies.' 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

America has to come to grips with some realities. And so far no one is. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

AI and robotics are changing the landscape much faster than we are adjusting to it. There is a tsunami coming and we are not prepared for it.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I'm well prepared for it and so can anyone else that chooses to adapt to the changes. Throw away your liberal arts degree and develop a skill. I'm not prepared to.carry the deadweight of liberals that have convinced themselves that they are useless.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Dean, I don't have a liberal arts degree, nor any degree but I'm more  than well set.

What we are talking about here is that without a plan by the government/business/individuals there is going to massive unemployment, along with that comes the inability of people to purchase products and that leads to guess what Dean...More layoffs if companies aren't able to sell their products..It's called a shrinking market.

So keep pissing and moaning about the taxes you pay, because if this comes the taxes you pay now will be a pittance to the new brackets.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Kavika, you're speaking to Dean as if he cares whether people he doesn't care about die or not.  He has made it clear, over the course of thousands of posts, that he does not care when people die.  He cares about Dean.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

What about conservatives that haven't developed a skill that is relevant to current times?  Why do you always just single out liberals?  Are you saying that there are no conservatives that refuse to learn new skills or that refuse to move to areas where jobs are?  You're a bright guy Dean but you have been pretty one sided lately.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

you have been pretty one sided lately

Just "lately"? 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Are you saying that there are no conservatives that refuse to learn new skills or that refuse to move to areas where jobs are?

Not at all . The difference is that conservatives don't try to reformulate the law to support themselves ... unlike liberals .

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Petey Coober   7 years ago

conservatives don't try to reformulate the law to support themselves 

Petey.....Petey.....Petey.......(PJ shakes her head and looks up into the sky)

Petey - both sides try and reformulate the law to best meet their party's objective but that doesn't always translate into what's best for the citizens of their party or this country.  

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

A classic example of what I mean is the attempt by liberals to raise the minimum wage ...

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Petey Coober   7 years ago

I agree that at times the liberals go too far and minimum wage is a good example of that but I would counter with the conservatives not wanting to accept science when it comes to the environment.  Both sides do it.  The difference that I see with these two examples is that the liberals are working to give more to people and the conservatives are working to give more to big business.  Last time I checked I thought the government was supposed to be working for the people not for corporations. 

One more point with regards to these two examples.  Both do more harm than good.  

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

conservatives not wanting to accept science when it comes to the environment.

That isn't science . Its leftist propaganda . Let me know if you want evidence ...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Petey Coober   7 years ago

Oh, I do!!  Please provide Petey-level evidence.  

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

You're setting a really, really, really low bar.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

I'm well prepared for it and so can anyone else that chooses to adapt to the changes. Throw away your liberal arts degree and develop a skill.

At first that does sound like good advice. With more and more unskilled jobs being replaced by robots, its seems the logical thing to do (Increase your skils and you won't be replaced).

its a good idea. But there's are some  fallacy with that idea:

1. Because an unskilled worker will not, in most cases, be replaced by a robot. Rather-- many workers will be replaced by a single robot!! And while in the past a single bussiness usuallyneeded a lot of unkilled workers and a few skilled workers-- in the future there won't be even enough jobs for skilled workers! (As robotics evolves, robots will be able to do self-maintenance-- to fix themselves. And they will be able to monitor themselves-- they won't need a human to watch them to see that everything's OK.

2. For whatever reason, most American kids don't want to go into computer technology. There's a shortage. So many will go to college to study jobs that will be obseolete in the near future...

P.S: I do not know what the solution is-- but the problem is going to become much worse as robtics evolves.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

AI and robotics are changing the landscape much faster than we are adjusting to it. There is a tsunami coming and we are not prepared for it.

The only way we can fight it off is to invest in one thing, infrastructure (which will require a huge government investment, but will offer a huge return) and it's off shoot renewable energy.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

"America has to come to grips with some realities. And so far no one is. "

I agree.   Liberals STILL won't admit the pursuit of $15.00 minimum wage is ELIMINATING MINIMUM WAGE JOBS!  How's that for reality?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  96WS6   7 years ago

We have to stop making people rich through stock investments until people are paid a wage they can live on without needing government help. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

"We have to stop making people rich through stock investments until people are paid a wage they can live on without needing government help."

Most people that invest don't see it as some get rich quick solution , many , myself included , did it over the long haul , my case was 30 almost 40 years, I'm now 55 as a couple days ago, semi retired and not hurting . 

If your way is followed , there would be absolutely no incentive , for people to START investing , let alone continue to invest, It is that return on investment that keeps people using their money for investments of all kinds .

and remember if the incentive is removed , there is nothing to keep people from just sitting on a pile of money that NO one will benefit from. There is no law that says people with expendable money , HAVE to invest , and if they do it is they that get to choose where it is invested.

And that is the way it is. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

That should do wonders for your 401K.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

You guys do not seem to understand that we have millions of people who do not make enough money to pay their own way and so receive government assistance. Mick Mulvaney wants to end government assistance. What is to become of the people?

Stock returns should be calculated AFTER everyone is paid a living wage.  Economic regulations are arbitrary, they are not the ten commandments. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

John I understand it better than you think, so what IS an acceptable ROI or should investors allow their money to be used for free?

Is a 3% annual ROI acceptable? for every $100k investment , that would be $3000 of taxable income.

I am just asking what an acceptable ROI is , I haven't been investing for the last 7 years , and highly doubt I will again in the future either.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

They can't get paid a decent wage if there are no jobs that fit the bill.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

America has to come to grips with some realities. And so far no one is.

Such as the fact that the "success" of this budget depends on a 3% GDP growth!!!

laughing dude laughing dude laughing dude

By cutting taxes for the rich!!!

laughing dude laughing dude laughing dude

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Trump's response ? Cut the social safety net further. Deny a minimum wage hike, cut welfare, cut food stamps, cut social security disability. Don't tax the rich, hurt the poor. The Republican way until proven otherwise.

Solve poverty. Kill the poor and elderly and disabled. Starve them to death. Let them die of disease. That's the Republican way.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Thread removed off topic. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

I'm not opposed to this at all but I'm thinking there are going to be some mighty pissed off Trump supporters as they are the majority who are on food stamps and collecting disability.  

Loving it!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Between this and Trumps proposed budget the ones that are going to suffer the most will be the lazy ass conservatives that live off the government.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Exactly.  And the sad thing is they are just starting to realize that they are going to be impacted starting with their healthcare.  The huge cut to medicaid.....that's the old people that are going to suffer more so than any young liberal.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

It's interesting to see who takes pleasure from the suffering of their neighbors. Quite telling...

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

I'm simply celebrating the outcome of their vote and how it will impact them personally.  What's so wrong about being happy they got what they voted for?   angel   

You're so cynical Cerenkov.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

Liberals are free to delight in the suffering of others. It's just makes them bad people.

PJ
Masters Quiet

gloom and doom.....gloom and doom.........gloom and doom

Don't you ever get exhausted?  I think you should let you hair down (unless you're bald) and just say one thing that is upbeat and positive.   I dare you -  You can do it!  I believe in you.  thumbs up

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

I suggest you read the article, check the seeder, and then try to rationalize how I am spreading doom and gloom. I suggest the answer you are looking for is projection.

PJ
Masters Quiet

Thanks Spock