╌>

A Leaf From the Page of Yesteryear...

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  9 comments

A Leaf From the Page of Yesteryear...

americanflagwavinganimatedgif27.gif On Sunday, my family attended my son's last band concert-- a concert in the local park, celebrating our veterans.  It is a community event, attended by band parents and families, the local veterans, residents of the small city, Middletown, within the city of Louisville, and people from all walks of life that happen to be nearby.  The local businesses donate soft drinks and hot dogs, which are served by the local Chamber of Commerce, and everyone gathers for an afternoon of peace and good music.

The band is actually paid for their performance, which is unusual, and helps the band budget as well as pays for additional equipment for the band, so that everyone has access to a music stand, a chair, and other bits and pieces for the band...

Everyone brings lawn chairs, perches around the beautifully landscaped park, and eyes drawn to the beautiful white gazebo and the flags, we sit companionably together and listen to wonderful music.  The elementary school choir sings during the program, and the children's voices rise sweetly above crowd rustlings, and the bass drum of their only accompaniment.  

The crowd rose as one to sing our national anthem, (we all knew the words), and the state song, My Old Kentucky Home , (most of us know the words).  Our veterans are a friendly lot, and we all talk and chat with one another, the civilians offering respect, and veterans kindly accepting it.

We listened to the wonderful music, hummed along, and smiled at one another in the sunshine.  When the music called for representatives of the different branches of the service, all of us stood, to pay homage to our family members who have served, and most of us smiled at each other, as we thought of those who gave all they had in service to all of us.

It was a very pleasant afternoon.  We were all Americans.  All of us.  There were many different varieties of Americans, and Louisville is a place of diversity, but all of us seem to get along, and I witnessed no ugliness any where.  As angry as we may be with one another over politics, we were able to put aside our differences and stand together, as Americans, to remember our veterans and salute them.  Children ran by, waving our flag, and I naturally managed to trip over a grass clump, and settle down into a drainage hole-- a result of the new construction at the park.  

Therefore, it is quite startling to me to come here and view the site's front page and read about the violence directed towards others just because of political differences.  It seems that here in Louisville, we still manage to be neighbors, and even if we disagree, we do so without rancor, and can stand together for a common cause, and be kind to one another.  In times past, it has seldom been accomplished any other way.  We may have our differences, but we are all still Americans, and we are all traveling the same streets, eating at the same restaurants, stopping at the same stop lights, and somehow managing to live together without tearing each other to pieces.

It takes all of us, being nice to one another, to accomplish a site that is a more pleasant place to be.  It requires all of us, to behave maturely and with courtesy to one another.  We should be able to do that...  Why can't we?

Whatever you are angry about, and a lot of us are angry about a lot of things, there is no reason to turn on each other and make the entire site a cesspool of vitriol.  We are all Americans.  We are all people, and believe it or not, we all need each other.

My suggestion, eat a gummy bear and chill out.  

Hope that all of you have a great day!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser    7 years ago

Another suggestion:  get a rock hammer and bang on a rock with it.  It certainly makes life a bit more peaceful!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

I love both suggestions of yours Dowser, well done.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Thanks, dear friend.  I have found an addiction to gummy bears is a path to peace!  They just make me smile!  How can anyone be really unhappy when eating a gummy bear?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Your concert experience sounds like a Norman Rockwell painting come to life Dowser, which is nice. 

Some people would also say it is outdated.  I guess we all have to decide that for ourselves.

It takes all of us, being nice to one another, to accomplish a site that is a more pleasant place to be.  It requires all of us, to behave maturely and with courtesy to one another.  We should be able to do that...  Why can't we?

Whatever you are angry about, and a lot of us are angry about a lot of things, there is no reason to turn on each other and make the entire site a cesspool of vitriol.  We are all Americans.  We are all people, and believe it or not, we all need each other.

Some people view internet forums as a place to find "common ground" and some view them as a place to voice one's own viewpoint. I guess the two approaches co-exist the best they can. 

I have seen a number of forums over the years , and participated in them at times, and Newstalkers is neither the most nor the least discordant. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

First, there are plenty of places where people fuss with each other all the time, but here, it doesn't seem that way.  A Norman Rockwell painting?  I would bet that it is more of the usual than the exception.  Especially here in KY.

I'm tired and bored with the vitriol.  I'd rather be about any place, other than here.  The constant bickering doesn't add much to the conversation, and frankly, I think we're more intelligent than that.  Maybe it's wishful thinking, but Whether or not we are here to find our friends or to share our views, we can do so without the meanness.  We only have to want to-- and there are many here that do not.  I'm just tired of constantly reading snark between members.  It's not necessary to the conversation, nor is is conducive to actual conversation.  

So, do what you want.  There are plenty of places that are worse to be, and there are places that are better.  We all have our breaking points and I've about reached mine.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Dear Dowser, I know what you're saying, sometimes its good to take a break. Please don't give up. I really enjoy your writing and comments. 

Every so often those that I disagree with share an enlightened thought. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Yes, they do!  It's a shame to have to wade through all the bickering to find them...  Love you, Pat!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend Dowser: Another great memory for your family.

This is among the the best of life.

Many thanks for sharing.

This article really brightened my day.

Peace, Blessings and Concerts in the Park from A Gazebo.

Enoch,

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Thank you, dear Enoch!  It was a great day!  We sat next to a Korean War veteran and his wife-- what a lovely fellow!  I enjoyed talking with him and his lovely wife!!!