╌>

Roger Moore, Star Of James Bond Movies, Dies

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  13 comments

Roger Moore, Star Of James Bond Movies, Dies

Roger Moore, the handsome English actor who appeared in seven films as James Bond and as Simon Templar on “The Saint” TV series, has died in Switzerland after a short battle with cancer. He was 89.

His family issued an announcement on Twitter: “It is the heaviest of hearts, we must share the awful news that our father, Sir Roger Moore, passed away today. We are all devastated.”

With the heaviest of hearts, we must share the awful news that our father, Sir Roger Moore, passed away today. We are all devastated.

Moore appeared in more official Bond pics than his friend Sean Connery over a longer period of time, and while Connery’s fans were fiercely loyal, polls showed that many others favored Moore’s lighter, more humorous take on 007.

In 1972, Moore was asked to join Her Majesty’s Secret Service. He took on the mantle of 007 for 1973’s “Live and Let Die,” which would lead to six more turns as England’s top spy. In addition to reviving the franchise at the B.O. after waning prospects at the end of Connery’s run, the new James Bond relied on more humor in stories that cranked up the camp.

Moore as Bond began to shake off the Connery comparisons and pick up speed after 1977’s “The Spy Who Loved Me” launched the series into super-blockbuster status, raking in $185.4 million worldwide. Next up, the outer space-traveling “Moonraker” (1979) cumed $202 million and 1981’s “For Your Eyes Only” took $194 million.

“Octopussy” (1983) marked a downward turn in the franchise’s fortunes, with B.O. of $183.7 million, and 1985’s “A View to a Kill” saw the actor ready to surrender his license to kill, taking in a little over $150 million.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

Moore was my favorite James Bond.  It was the tongue in cheek approach. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

This article was wiped off the front page when I turned on my computer, and I didn't see it until I was going to post the news myself on the Entertainment Forum.  Yet another favourite star gone. RIP Sir Roger.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

RIP to Roger Moore. He was great as Simon Templar. However and no offense intended to him there was only one James Bond. Sean Connery. IMHO

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I agree with that - Sean Connery WAS James Bond.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I agree. Roger Moore was great as the Saint but Sean Connery was James Bond. I like Daniel Craig too even though he's devoid of humor. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

A lot of people think The Spy Who Loved Me was the best Bond movie.   

I say that one and Goldfinger. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I was always a fan of the first three. Dr. No, From Russia with Love and Goldfinger.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U1TmeBd9338" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

May Roger Moore rest in peace.  He made a good James Bond and was about the only person I can think of to keep the franchise alive after Connery quit.  I will miss him.  My prayers are with his family and friends.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

I always enjoyed him as Bond...I would say that Sean Connery was my favorite, but Roger Moore was a very close second.

After Moore I don't believe that I've seen another in the series.

RIP Roger.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I thought Pierce Brosnan was good. I've only seen the first one with Daniel Craig as Bond, but I am intending to watch Skyfall (which got great reviews) at some point. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

I'm too young to remember Sean Connery as Bond, Roger Moore was the first Bond I remember seeing and I thought he was great at it.  I did like his dry humor he brought to the screen, as opposed to the 'dark' Bond that Daniel Craig has done for a few movies now.  With that, I wish him and his family peace and know they will remember him fondly.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend John Russell: I never watched a James Bond movie I didn't like.

All the actors, in each in their own unique ways did masterful jobs.

Enoch. Reb Enoch.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

I think you are right, they were all good. Careful consideration was given to all the actors that played Bond, and they chose ones that had a certain something that conveyed the essence of the character, albeit in a little bit different ways. James Bond is nothing if not cool and unflappable and determined, and they all put that across.