╌>

Liberals Won’t Like What This Governor Just Did to Protect Citizens and Enforce the Law

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sixpick  •  7 years ago  •  23 comments

Liberals Won’t Like What This Governor Just Did to Protect Citizens and Enforce the Law

Being tough on illegal immigration has to be more than just talk, and Texas is leading the way.

Texas led a coalition of states to stop the former president’s attempt to defer deportation of certain illegal aliens.

After voters sent Donald Trump to the White House, the previous administration halted the amnesty attempt and suspended the court case.

Now the governor, Greg Abbott, has signed a bill into law that bans “sanctuary” cities, counties, and universities in his state, effective September 1. He said on Facebook Live that residents expect their government to keep them safe, “and that is exactly what we are going to do by me signing this law.”

As expected, some politicians don’t believe protecting American citizens should be the higher priority.

Opponents of the law were quick to condemn the signing. Thomas Saenz, president of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, said that the law was a “colossal blunder” and that the lawmakers who championed it were small-hearted.

Saenz said the law would alienate “nearly half the state population” and make people subject to widespread racial profiling. He said the law undermines voters’ rights to choose elected officials who set local policy, makes the job of local law enforcement more difficult by straining relationships with immigrant communities and would cost Texas in trade and tourism, as well as legal challenges.

“This racist and wrongheaded piece of legislation ignores our values, imperils our communities and sullies our reputation as a free and welcoming state,” Terri Burke, executive director of the ACLU of Texas said in a prepared statement. “We will fight this assault in the courts, at the ballot box, and in the streets if we have to.”

The United States has a process of welcoming foreigners: legal immigration. Regardless, the new law allows the police to ask about immigration status during detention, which any sovereign country has the prerogative to do.

~Link~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   seeder  sixpick    7 years ago

The Liberal Fascists won't like this.  They want to have a place where criminals can torment their citizens.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

I don't understand. What is wrong with LEGAL immigration?  Is there any country in the world that has a law permitting ILLEGAL immigration? If I were caught breaking a law here where I can never become a citizen but have a valid residency visa legally obtained I would be thrown out of this country so fast i wouldn't have time to pack - and I have NO complaints about that.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

We're the only country held to this standard, Buzz.  Try wandering into Mexico illegally-they will jail you.  Do it to the United States, if anyone catches you, they deport you instead of imprisoning you.  Its hypocritical, but it's been normalized for so long in the U.S. some factions think of it as its okay.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Six - face palm

That is the stupidest statement I read so far this morning.....Perhaps it should be posted on your other article "The dumbest thing I have seen all decade".

There is certainly a different opinion about the immigration debate but NO ONE WANTS THEIR CITIZENS TORMENTED BY ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.  Could you be even more divisive and misleading?

I personally think we need to have stricter laws.  We need to be able to know who is in our country and immigrants need to understand that there is a process in place that needs to be followed.  

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I personally think we need to have stricter laws.  We need to be able to know who is in our country and immigrants need to understand that there is a process in place that needs to be followed.  

We already have laws. If democrats would follow the law instead of undermining it, then the illegal aliens would get the message and stop jumping the damn fence. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

If democrats would follow the law instead of undermining it

Well folks, it looks like we've got a runner up.

So only democrats don't follow the laws?  Interesting.....So just to be clear, you think only democrats are business owners, correct?  Because I'm pretty sure part of the immigration problem is businesses hiring illegal immigrants.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

So only democrats don't follow the laws?  Interesting.....So just to be clear, you think only democrats are business owners, correct?  Because I'm pretty sure part of the immigration problem is businesses hiring illegal immigrants.

Only Democrats support sanctuary cities which invite illegal aliens to stay. Regardless as to what employers do, if Democrats would enforce the law, illegal aliens wouldn't be around to work for anybody. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

if Democrats would enforce the law, illegal aliens wouldn't be around to work for anybody. 

1ofmany - that's naive at best and i'm calling BS.  Businesses have been hiring illegal immigrants forEVER and no law or wall is going to stop that.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

1ofmany - that's naive at best and i'm calling BS.  Businesses have been hiring illegal immigrants forEVER and no law or wall is going to stop that.

Sure it will. Illegal aliens keep coming because they know they can stay. Trump has already put a big dent in illegal immigration simply by being more aggressive in enforcing the law. If more cities and states pitch in, illegal immigration can be reversed. Again, cheers to Texas and boos to Democrats and their awful sanctuary cities.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

NO ONE WANTS THEIR CITIZENS TORMENTED BY ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

Actually the govt wants illegal immigrants if they can turn them into legal voters ...

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Petey Coober   7 years ago

Or illegal voters.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

Good for Texas. It's about time that people revolt against the open border lunacy of the democrats. Support for sanctuary cities is one of the main reasons that I would never support a democrat for president. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Domestic crime far outpaces all crimes committed in the U.S. .

But  several studies , over many years,  have concluded  that immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than people born in the United States. And experts say the available evidence does not support the idea that undocumented immigrants commit a disproportionate share of crime.

“There’s no way I can mess with the numbers to get a different conclusion,” said Alex Nowrasteh, immigration policy analyst at the libertarian Cato Institute, which advocates more liberal immigration laws.

I'm not justifying illegal immigration … but let's call things what they actually are and not single-out demographics we don't like.

As for …

As expected, some politicians don’t believe protecting American citizens should be the higher priority.

Agreed … among them would be the ones subsidized by the NRA, the ones who oppose clear air and water regulations, workplace safety protections, funding for medical research …

I hate it when someone spits in my face and tells me "it's raining".

And while we're at it, I also hate it when the actual perpetrators of fake news … call every fact that doesn't suit their agenda … "fake news"! In doing so, they fuck us over twice.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

I doubt we have accurate statistics on crimes committed by illegal aliens. Anyway, I don't care how many crimes illegal aliens commit relative to citizens. If the illegal alien weren't here, then he would commit ZERO crimes.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

well said 1.  I support the actions of the governor of the great state of Texas.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

I'm not justifying illegal immigration … I'm merely setting the record straight.

When the argument is on your side as it is regarding people here illegally, once you start making false allegations to back your argument, you weaken it.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Sure there are lots of other crimes out there.  Amongst all the other forms of enforcement for crimes out there, the subject here is illegal aliens, not everything else. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

the subject here is illegal aliens, not everything else. 

When an unsubstantiated, false allegation is posited to make a case, if for no other reason than its factual inaccuracy, it needs to be addressed and corrected. It is the ones who broach the false information who are guilty of the "everything else," not those who correct the record.

Beyond that, since it is inarguable that "illegal immigrants" are in fact, here illegally, by adding false elements to that argument, the integrity and/or knowledge or lack thereof regarding those who do so, get called into question.

I'll be happy to discuss the complex issue of illegal immigration with anyone who will do so based on facts and reality, but I won't ignore bad information intended to simplify a complex issue created by politicians and misrepresented thereafter by pandering to xenophobia and unfounded fears.

Like it or not, understand it fully or not, there are adverse economic and humanistic consequences that would result from the simplistic "solutions" offered up by politicians who pander to uninformed and ill-informed would "throw out the baby with the bathwater".

If you have "unwanted" occupants in your house, you might first try to determine what you did or didn't do to draw them there. For example, while Mr. Trump and supporters want to blame much of illegal entry on drug dealers doing "business" in America, it might make sense to acknowledge and deal with the reality that, Americans willing to be the buyers and users of illegal substances are the marketplace for the dealers. The LEGAL use of opioid pain killers cost more lives and more money than do illegal drugs coming from Mexico. Put the problems in perspective of scope … not demagoguery and demographics.

And get after employers (like Republican-backing Corporate farms) that hire illegals as cheap labor instead of American workers at a living wage. 

There's some of the "everything else" that needs to be in the illegal immigrants/aliens discussion. 

This story is way too long for a bumper sticker.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago
The seed is about the actions of the governor of Texas and his efforts regarding illegal immigration and yet when you come here you talk about everything except the seeded topic.  Talk about a master derailer.  Flamer extraordinaire.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

The seed is about the actions of the governor of Texas and his efforts regarding illegal immigration and yet when you come here you talk about everything except the seeded topic.  Talk about a master derailer.  Flamer extraordinaire.  
Tell it your cohort … I only respond to what is posted; open a can of worms … then complain about the guy who puts them back where they belong …
Everything I have posted addresses some aspect(s) related to illegal immigration; myopia ain't my thing.