╌>

I Promised "New Bird Photos" … and I'm Keeping My Promise

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  12 comments

I Promised "New Bird Photos" … and I'm Keeping My Promise

Yesterday I found a new location in which to photograph birds, insects, wildflowers and who knows what other elements of nature.

Later today I will return to that location and hope for more shots like …

brownheadedcowbirdfemaleagurmankin.jpg

Brown-headed Cowbird, Female

© A. Mac/A.G.

Best Look at this Link

woodduckmaleswimminginastreamagurmankin.jpg

Wood Duck, Male

© A. Mac/A.G.

Best Look at this Link

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Still lovin' my new lens.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

But there's more … and we haven't even scratched the surface.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear AMac: Keep them coming.

Please.

E

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

You're so right!   Keep them coming!    

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Great photo Mac. It looks like it guarding something. That or saying, don't push me...

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Just posted a photo of a Wood Duck … not a wooden duck … but a duck that nests in trees … in the woods.

This particular species is so beautiful and interesting, that even when viewed live and in person (duck-son?), it looks unreal.

And once again … "Nature is the Art of God" (Sir Thomas Browne)

Kavika
Professor Principal

Wood ducks are stunning. Great shot Mac.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Is the Audobon Society aware of your photos, A.Mac?  They deserve publication in their magazine. That Wood Duck is as beautiful a bird as there is anywhere - your skill, camera and lens make these shots classic.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Thank you for your kind words, Buzz. All images I shoot for publication (as opposed to images I market directly to the public) … are represented by multiple agencies, some of which (hopefully) find their way into Audubon Society and other publications.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Good night … more tomorrow … something a bit different included.

Hoping to head up into the mountains in a few days … first time since getting the new lens; a different collection of critters up there will hopefully yield some interesting pix.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

UPDATE ON THE WIND FARM ISSUE IN THE POCONO MOUNTAINS

The community in which is situated, my small house in the Pocono Mountains, is literally at the base of a slope atop of which, is a ridge that is a proposed site for 37, 525 foot tall wind turbines!

We have been fighting this proposal via community activities and legal actions and recently, the township zoning board voted unanimously to deny the energy company's request for a special exception allowing the placement of wind turbines dangerously close to occupied dwellings.

While that decision is good news, it's not necessarily the end of the story as likely there will be appeals. At the meeting the zoning board decision was announced, portions of a letter I wrote to a local newspaper, were quoted. i was given reason to believe that the letter contributed to the board's decision to deny the request for exception.

It is my hope that appeals will be denied or, that the courts will refuse to hear them and allow the zoning board decision to stand. Even as no construction has occurred, life in the community has been disrupted and its quality eroded. A return to uneventful normalcy would be a blessing.

My letter 

Will I Have to Walk Away from My House

While hearings before the Penn Forest Township Zoning Board go on, angst-producing speculation over an Iberdrola Wind Farm proposal, including environmental destruction, property value declines, impassable local roads, a compromised water table, compromised water-well systems and more … deep-pocket legal tactics and ploys come into play.

Zoning board hearings with wind farm executives and their attorney present, have been conducted at a fire house in reasonable proximity and accessibility to concerned property owners, a venue that enables people like myself to attend, express concerns, and, represent a show of opposition-solidarity to the placement of a wind farm on the ridge above Lipo Way.

At recent hearings, the attorney for wind farm representatives (Iberdrola and the Bethlehem, Pennsylvania Water Authority) has claimed "there have been death threats" leveled at herself and company executives. I and others are waiting for verification of that allegation … waiting.

In addition to now attending hearings with armed body guards, the attorney is attempting to have the hearing venue moved to the Court House in Jim Thorpe, a location that would certainly make it more difficult for residents to attend.

This tactic is nothing new when it comes to energy companies playing “victim,” that, while the potential real victims worry day-to-day over the adverse impact of such projects, the thoughts of which weigh heavily on their present and future well-being!

Get the picture?

While the State of Pennsylvania has parameters regarding wind farm placement proposals, should the wind farm construction actually begin, aside from health, environmental and other concerns, THERE IS THE ISSUE OF POTENTIAL CATASTROPHIC FAILURES associated with wind turbines and farms.

For example: Since my house would be one of the closest to the proposed turbines location … if the 37 proposed, 525’ high turbines are placed …

What would be my recourse, should, during heavy rains and/or snow melts, these, after hundreds of acres of pristine forest were replaced with millions of pounds of concrete turbine foundations …

• If a mud or rock slide were to take down my tiny, 900 square foot house, 

• If a turbine propellor blade were to break away and crash through my roof, maim or killed myself or a family member,

• If the water from my well were to be rendered unfit for human consumption, 

• If I could not sell my house, or, if I could only sell it at less than half its current market value … 

• If a wind turbine motor burst into flames during one dry, windy autumn day, and, my house and the entire community were to burn to the ground?

My educated guess is, that despite the State's protocols regarding liability, individuals would be forced to sue for damages as the company would likely argue that "it was not liable" … and, consequently, individual legal fees in a series of protracted litigation proceedings, would exceed the "little guy's" financial and time constraints!

The deep pockets usually prevail in such cases, and, should this scenario play out, I see no other realistic outcome than to simply walk away from my house as my resultant legal fees could easily exceed the value of my property … AND NO SETTLEMENT WOULD BEGIN TO ADDRESS ANY LOSS OF LIFE OR LIMB!

Even in its current limbo status, the possibility of 37, 525' tall wind turbines appears to have started people selling, trying to sell, leaving the community, and, to make a once tiny-dream-house become a nightmare of bad outcome scenarios. What used to be my "happy place" and, the only “permanent” homes of others, are now sources of apprehension, stress and at times, even depression.

While there are LAWS … one has to wonder if there will be JUSTICE.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Not unusual for the corporations to play the ''victim'' and make false claims without any proof.

Excellent letter Mac, let's hope that there are no appeals but if there are, they are rejected.