╌>

Raw Veganism and Weight Loss

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  demi  •  7 years ago  •  7 comments

Raw Veganism and Weight Loss

Hey guys!

I am contemplating starting a raw diet, but after my last experience with it, I'm not sure if it will be the best of ideas.
The last time I ate a raw diet, I ended up gaining weight. In retrospect I was most likely bloated, but I was still a bit baffled. I made sure I was not consuming too much sugar, carbohydrates, or fats. Yet after restriction + a raw food diet, I was gaining weight. I was working out, but primarily doing cardio so the weight gain couldn't of been attributed to muscle mass.

Have any of you lost weight on a raw vegan diet?
If so, what did you eat? 
What dietary plan did you follow?

Would any of you be interested in doing this again with me?

Much love!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I had only one experience of being on a strict vegan type diet.  Before I was married I got involved with a hippie girl during the very early 1970s, and she decided that we should both go on a strict 'nothing but brown rice' diet. After I was starving on it for a week or so, I happened to walk past the diner around the corner and through the window I saw her eating a hamburger.  That ended both my diet and that relationship.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I remember the Brown rice diet fad of that period! Like most fad diets, it is very unhealthy! (Had you remained on it for any significant amount of time, you would've started to come down with some serious medical problems).

demi
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  demi  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I just want to lose weight.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    7 years ago

I went on a strictly vegan diet and lost 30 lbs in a month-- without trying.. (The next month I lost weight more slowly, but still lost about additional 10-12 lbs). 

Before starting, In weighed 220-225 lbs, had a 38-40 " waist. I have now maintained a weight of 180 lbs with a 34 " waist for several years-- without much conscious thoughts about what  eat. (I just eat healthy vegan. When I start to add significant meat, after a few days the weight slowly starts to increase...). 

BTW it is not a raw vegan diet-- IMO 100% raw is less healthy, and very difficult to follow. Its really a fad.

P.S: I used to work out in gym 3x/wk-- weights and lots of cardio. Because of injuries slightly before I went on diet I had to stop weights and then cardio. So my weight loss was accomplished entirely during the period when I was doing no significant exercise.

(In my experience, while exercise is useful-- in fact mandatory-- for good health, it does not help significantly in weight loss-- unless you do ridiculous amounts every day. It seems to be helpful in maintaining weight once lost-- but not in losing it).

P.S #2: You can easily get more than enough Protein and Calcium on a vegan diet. However there is one supplement you must take-- Vitamin B-12. (And for everyone its useful to take a good lo-potency multivitamin).

demi
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  demi  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

I usually eat eggs, milk, butter, cheese and other dairy products. And thanks for explaining.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

When I want to lose weight I almost completely stop eating. Maybe one big bowl of cereal a day or a large salad. And that's about it. I'm doing it now and I drop about 10lbs every 2 or 3 weeks. I did it about 4 years ago and lost more then 50lbs in less then 6 months. My doctor had a fit! So did my wife. Only problem is that if you start eating anywhere near normal again you gain it all back.

demi
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  demi  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I thought I am who are pretty careful about what they eat and they're still prone to gaining weight. I would try to control the diet. Thanks.