╌>

The Colour of Night, in China

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  10 comments

This is a collection of night-time shots taken over the past more than 8 years. None were taken with a tripod (I don't even have one) so they might not be super-sharp, but they are at least indicative of what China is like at night. Except for the first two photos, they werw all taken in Chongqing which I started visiting almost 9 years ago to meet with the woman with whom I am now married. I will probably remain in Chongqing now for the rest of my life. 

Most of these photos have been posted on NT over the years, but not as a specific collection, and they have been edited better now.

1   This was taken in Suchou, a city not far from Shanghai. It is known as the Venice of China, because of the canals throughout the city.

CCH 11.jpg

2   Many people out at night in Xi'an.  It is in this city that the Terra Cotta Warriors were discovered.  It used to be known as Chang'an, and was an early Dynasty Capital.

CCH 19.jpg

3   The rest of the photos were taken in Chongqing, over the years. Chongqing used to be known as Chungking, the capital of the Nationalist Government of Chiang Kai Shek during the mid 20th Century.  It was also the base for the American Flying Tigers during WWII.  The city is really lit up at night, perhaps because electricity is plentiful here due to the hydro-electric power station at the nearby Three Gorges Dam on the Yangze River.  The Jialing River flows into the Yangze near downtown Chongqing.  This photo, and most of the others, were taken at or over the Jialing River.

CCH 14.jpg

CCH 8.jpg

5   This was taken inside the complex just above (no. 4 photo).

CCH 13.jpg

6   I posted this on the Creative Arts group last weekend. It is downtown Chongqing from the other side of the Jialing River.

CCH 16.jpg

CCH 15.jpg

CCH 17.jpg

9   I posted this photo fairly recently - I took it only a couple of months ago.

CCH 20.jpg

CCH 18.jpg

CCH 21.jpg

12   This is one of my favourite photos. It was taken during Lantern Festival time in Chongqing about 8 years ago.

CCH 9.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

And if you think the colours of the night here are magnificent, you should see the fireworks during Chinese New Year. After all, fireworks were invented here, centuries ago.

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
link   Uptownchick    7 years ago

Beautiful Buzz!  Thanks so much for sharing...amazing light show!!

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

Great pictures! They remind me of night scenes in Kyoto.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Wonderful photo essay, Buzz! I am so glad that you shared this with us. It gave me a real feel for the nightlife in China. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Buzz,

This photo essay exceeds all of your other EXCELLENT, INFORMATIVE, UNIQUE presentations.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing this!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Dear Friend AMac: Agreed.

Yours are also exemplary.

Good pone you both.

Enoch.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Very nice. More lit up than most American cities.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

My thanks to all of you for your appreciation. It gives me the incentive and determination to follow up with more photo essays.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    7 years ago

I was surprised to be completely dazzled by what should have been under-exposed nighttime pics . Spectacular !

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

What beautiful pictures!  I got a feeling of excitement just looking at them!  Thanks for sharing these!  Can't wait to show them to Rockhound!