╌>

Spending Time at "The Edge" and in the "Thicket of Things"

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  19 comments

Spending Time at "The Edge" and in the "Thicket of Things"

Many opportunities for wildlife and nature photographs arise at FOREST EDGES and in and around THICKETS. Because of such opportunities, I take myself and my cameras regularly to such places. Not every such outing yields good photos … but for sure … when even a single, good photo is made, it's quite satisfying.

From last Saturday in the Pocono Mountains, on a back road that bisected a forest edge on my left and a thicket on my right … I got this and others in a series of the subject.

uigag_redfox17.7sm.jpg

Red Fox Captures, Kills and Eats a Wild Rat

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Foxy post!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

Very nice. 

How much is this cropped? Do you try to fill the viewfinder / screen, or do you zoom out a bit and then crop? 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

How much is this cropped? Do you try to fill the viewfinder / screen, or do you zoom out a bit and then crop? 

I tried to get closer to the fox and hoped to fill the frame with it … but even with my lens at 500mm … this was as close as I could get before it left to return to the woods.

The aspect ratio of a 35mm equivalent digital sensor is 3:2 … I cropped to the ratio the image now occupies eliminating some of the forest vegetation on the left, and, gravel road on the right.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

OK, thanks. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

I crop almost every photo I take in order to achieve better composition.  The fox photo could not have ended up better composed because of the cropping.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Interesting photo Mac. 

The rats around here hunt fox. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

The rats around here chase ice cream trucks!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

LOL, that must be quite the sight.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Wow!  What a sight!  That must have been exciting!

We occasionally see foxes here, but they never hang around long enough to get a picture of them!  Thank you for this!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

So .., where the fox is every one? 

New pictures tomorrow.

Good night.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

Wonderful. Kind of changed my mind about a nightly snack, but nice anyway.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Surely your taste in snacks differs from that fox. LOL

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Well I was going to have cheese, salami and crackers, so maybe I'll be cutting the salami out. ;-)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Cheese and crackers? CHEESE? Could the rat's taste in food have been projected to you?  Laugh

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Actually when I wanted to trap and mouse or a rat I used peanut butter in the trap, covered with a little bit of pot. Worked every time.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Do you use the pot to anesthetize the mouse or rat so it doesn't give a shit that it's going to die? That's very merciful of you. LOL

Randy
Sophomore Participates

It didn't have time to do that. It just seemed to attract them for some reason. I found that out when one chewed it's way into my baggie of pot that I keep in a baking pan that I used for rolling joints that I kept stashed under my couch and ate some.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Oh, so you use it as revenge. I never caught the guy who came in through my bathroom window and stole my stash.

Hey, that sounds like a Beatles song.....

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Yep, I never used it as a trap after we moved out of that apartment. In fact we only nailed I think 2 mice and my wife (live in girlfriend at the time) was so freaked out about the mouse traps that she wouldn't look at them or even let me throw them in the trash, so I just tossed them out the window into the snow below (we lived in the second floor of a old old house).