╌>

Women Scientists Tweet “Sexy” Work Pics In Response To Male Nobel Laureate’s Sexist Comments

Category:  Now Trending

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  23 comments

Women Scientists Tweet “Sexy” Work Pics In Response To Male Nobel Laureate’s Sexist Comments

On June 9th, Nobel Prize-winning biochemist Sir Tim Hunt shocked the world by making  sexist statements about women scientists  at a women scientists' conference in South Korea. "Let me tell you about my trouble with girls … three things happen when they are in the lab … You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you and when you criticize them, they cry," the Nobel laureate said, advocating single-sex labs as well.

In response to his anachronistic and chauvinistic comments, women scientists around the world took to Twitter to show how wrong he really was, using hashtags like  #distractinglysexy  and  #TimHunt . Women in science are encouraged to add their own pics below!

The #distractinglysexy hashtag was born in response:

tim-hunt-sexist-remarks-women-respond-scientists-66 Image credits:  Twitter

#1 I'm Really Glad That Curie Managed To Take A Break From Crying To Discover Radium And Polonium

I'm Really Glad That Curie Managed To Take A Break From Crying To Discover Radium And Polonium

Amy Remeikis Report

StephanieFrizzell   2 years ago

That has nothing to do with her work, Nejc Romih

View More Replies... View more comments

#2 Filter Mask Protects Me From Hazardous Chemicals And Muffles My Woman Cries

Filter Mask Protects Me From Hazardous Chemicals And Muffles My Woman Cries

Amelia Cervera Report

Haileefishaa   2 years ago

muffles my woman cries hahaha

View more comments

#ebola Patients Died Or When Got Better. I Have Feelings & I Deal W Them" href="http://www.boredpanda.com/i-cried-when-ebola-patients-died-or-when-got-better-i-have-feelings-i-deal-w-them-so-should-you/"> #3 I Cried When #ebola Patients Died Or When Got Better. I Have Feelings & I Deal W Them

#ebola Patients Died Or When Got Better. I Have Feelings & I Deal W Them" src="http://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/tim-hunt-sexist-remarks-women-respond-scientists-71.jpg" alt="I Cried When #ebola Patients Died Or When Got Better. I Have Feelings & I Deal W Them" width="700" height="1152">

Elisabetta Report

captaingrumpy   2 years ago

This comment is hidden.  Click here to view.

#4 Thankfully, Worker Bees Are All Female, Otherwise...

Thankfully, Worker Bees Are All Female, Otherwise...

Emily Remnant Report

ReverendVeritas   1 year ago

...otherwise the male bees would demand her and the queen bee make them a sandwich?

View More Replies... View more comments

#distractinglysexy" href="http://www.boredpanda.com/oh-dont-mind-me-im-just-pipetting-while-being-distractinglysexy/"> #5 Oh Don't Mind Me. I'm Just Pipetting While Being #distractinglysexy

#distractinglysexy" src="http://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/tim-hunt-sexist-remarks-women-respond-scientists-141.jpg" alt="Oh Don't Mind Me. I'm Just Pipetting While Being #distractinglysexy" width="700" height="705">

Meg Massa Report

KevinGarry   2 years ago

Oh no! You made me drop my Petri dish with your distracting pipetting!

View More Replies...

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    7 years ago

"Three things happen when [women] are in the lab... You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you and when you criticize them, they cry," Tim Hunt said at a conference in South Korea

patience

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

I believe him. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Not gotten the chance to work with many female scientists I presume?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

That's right I'll rely on his expert testimony. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

And the same thing happens with secretaries. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

I have to admit I've seen sexier pictures.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Our boy sounds desperate. Probably got turned down my one of those woman scientists....

Pouting isn't very manly...laughing dude

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

That is EXACTLY what it sounds like.

Poor boy.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

She probably cried because the prick stole her work!  lol

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Image result for memes of male chauvinists scientists

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

IMG_7241.JPG

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

The Marie Curie one was easily the best response IMHO. When I was in computers in the USAF every time we had a WAF (yes they were still WAF's back then (at least when I started. They switched over in about 1975)) as a Computer Operator they never let them work in the computer center itself doing actual computer operations, even though they graduated from the same computer tech school the men did. They always had them work in the tape library or doing some sort of general clerk work. They didn't want them working in the computer room alone with male operators. Beside I think the general feeling was that they were just going to get married and pregnant and discharged anyway. In the fours years of active duty I never saw one actually operating the computer systems. Ever.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Hard to fathom, how ridiculous. Great example Randy and thanks for sharing that.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

The military was very sexist back then. It was assumed that when a woman joined the Air Force it was because she was looking to snag a husband, hopefully a young officer, but a husband none the less. Of course if they did get married they could continue to serve unless they became pregnant and that was an automatic discharge. The military did not allow mothers of any kind to continue to serve.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

As a mirror to that, medical laboratories across the US are (Im guessing from my own experience and that of colleagues) are about 80-85% female. Physicians base approximately 75% of their diagnosis on lab results. That means that women make the majority of actual clinical medical/scientific discovery/diagnosis. That is a direct result of shuffling women off to do the work, that male dominated medicine has determined is below the pay grade of a doctor (back then, mostly male). 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

Anyone that thinks women don't make great scientists have never dealt with a grandmother. They have more remedies than most scientists can list. It's always best not to mess grandma...as many of us have found out through first hand experience.Laugh

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

You are SO right. When I was an infant my grandmother saved my life, when the doctors said I would not survive.  I had a serious case of the croup, and was turning blue, and my grandmother poured hot chicken fat down my throat and saved my life. I don't think they teach medical students that remedy.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
link   dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Absolutely. My mother was the best "naturopath". She only passed when the FDA prevented a particular mushroom from being imported.

As a fellow Native, I would like to have a discussion with you some time.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993   7 years ago

Hello dave, please feel free to contact me thru NT email or join the ''Anishinaabe'' group. 

Welcome to NT.