╌>

I Wasn't Sure I Could Do it, but I Did it!

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  10 comments

I Wasn't Sure I Could Do it, but I Did it!

bfflight_AGU2116sm.jpg

Photograph a Butterfly in Flight, that is.

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

It is not the best of photos and I had to do some editing … but now I know I can do it and eventually, I'll get one that satisfies me.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

That fantastic photo is one in a million - you have to be very proud to have accomplished it.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Gosh!  He's so beautiful!  How on earth do you capture a butterfly in flight?  I've NEVER been able to do it!  All I get are blurs and blobs...

This is a fabulous picture!!  Thanks for it!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

What a great ''catch'' Mac...

Wonderful photo.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62    7 years ago

Way to go!!  Nice job as always Mac!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    7 years ago

Excellent! :-)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

I greatly appreciate the kind words … I've been trying to adapt/evolve/modify a technique I initially used for birds-in-flight, then, bees in flight. Both bees and birds have attributes with regard to their flight, and photographing them while in flight … 

Birds soar and glide and, even when flapping their wings and moving quickly, most are relatively large enough to get into the viewfinder thus allowing a certain amount of panning so as to enable shooting in bursts … my camera, the Nikon D500, can shoot in bursts up to 10 frames per second!

Technically, although I have not yet approached it … at 10 frames per second, the camera can shoot up to 200 continuous shots before filling the camera's buffer!

Understand, I have deleted many more shots than I have kept as "publishable keepers" -- fortunately, it only takes one such shot to claim "success".

Bees like hummingbirds … HOVER! At 10 frames per second each frame shot at 1000/2000th of a second or faster (really!), with determination and patience, I'm now pretty good at photographing these in stop-action flight.

But butterflies … some hovering, some soaring … but it's not something I wait for when trying to get a shot like the one in this discussion. I do have a strategy … a tactic … but I don't think I can yet, put into words.

The Cabbage Butterfly image above need a bit of editing … not a great deal, but, it's not perfect.

Maybe soon.

Thanks again for your kindness.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

The thing about butterflies as opposed to birds and bees is that their flight is so erratic, which makes it difficult to zero in on them. I don't even try, but my camera doesn't have the variable abilities of yours anyway.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Headed to the mountains in the morning … hoping there are some butterfly, bird, bear, fox, deer with fawns … all to be photographed … and fish to be caught and released.

Internet connection there is iffy' but if I come up with something worthwhile to share, I'll make the effort to share it.

Peace and good night (even too those I'm otherwise ignoring).

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

We are going to attend a graduation cookout for our nephew...  Looking forward to it!