╌>

We Need to Change the Way We Talk About Politics, and Each Other

Category:  Now Trending

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  108 comments

By Dustin McKissen, Linkedin, June 18 2017

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAx_AAAAJDc1MWFmNTcyLTAwZDAtNGJkNC1iNjA1LWNjZGExZjcxOTNiZA.jpg

I live in St. Charles, Missouri, right in the part of America country music singers always sing about. My family and I moved here in 2013. About a year later my mom passed away, and my wife and I needed to leave town and take care of her funeral. Unfortunately, we couldn't afford to bring our kids on such short notice.

Despite knowing very few people in our new community, the entire neighborhood stepped up. Our kids spent a week going from house to house, getting consoled with unlimited mac n' cheese and Netflix. People here in our adopted hometown look out for each other.

I learned that again the following year.

My wife, who was a stay-at-home mom for 12 years, started volunteering at our community's startup incubator. A short while later she was hired to be the incubator manager. Valuing the transferrable skills of a stay-at-home mom is a progressive, uncommon employment practice, and for our family it happened in a conservative community in one of the reddest states on the map.

The people of Red-State America aren't Neanderthals.

My wife isn't chained to a stove.

My Republican neighbor doesn't have a welcome mat with a swastika on it.

But some of my neighbors can be just as guilty of thinking of their counterparts in other parts of the country in similarly simplistic terms.

This past December I appeared on Patriot Radio, a conservative channel on Sirius XM. During the show the host kept referring to Democrats as "coastal elites." Hearing the host use the term made me think of my very liberal brother. He lives in Seattle, but he is no one's idea of a "coastal elite." He attends Seattle Seahawks games with his giant beard dyed neon green. He manages an auto parts store and builds hot rods on the side. You will never hear my brother use terms like "safe space" or "trigger word."

My brother didn't vote for Hillary Clinton because he wanted to see vanilla ice cream, Chevy trucks, and all else that is good and holy about America banned. In fact, my brother likes vanilla ice cream and owns a Chevy truck. My brother voted for Hillary Clinton for the same reason my neighbor voted for Trump: he believed she was the candidate who best spoke to his concerns.

Even if they didn’t know he was my brother, my Republican neighbors have never shown an inclination to take out one of their multiple firearms and start shooting at him, nor has my brother ever shown a desire to make his way to Missouri and force my Catholic, conservative neighbor to liquidate his 401(k) and give all the money to Planned Parenthood.

You wouldn’t know that from listening to our present political rhetoric. On a regular basis politicians, pundits, bloggers, and a whole lot of regular people use political dialogue laden with references to war and violence—including Senator Rand Paul's tweet from a year ago that suggested the Second Amendment exists specifically to shoot at the government.

This week the violent rhetoric became more than just mere words with the shooting of Republican congressman Steve Scalise. The shooter, James Hodgkinson, was apparently motivated by his political beliefs and, according to sources, carried a list of Republican legislators he hoped to assassinate. Of course, the heated left/right divide is not solely a feature of American politics. Last year Jo Cox, a British Labour Party politician and Member of Parliament, was murdered by Thomas Muir. Cox was killed because of her stance on political issues, including Brexit.

Carl Phillip Gottfried von Clausewitz, a Prussian general and military theorist, famously said “War is politics is by other means.” Politics as war has become an increasingly common metaphor. Former House Speaker and sometime Donald Trump advisor Newt Gingrich has frequently made a similar statement: “Politics is war without blood.”

Except when politics becomes war with blood. When political language becomes filled with references to metaphorical violence and war, the risk of actual violence skyrockets.

If things don’t change the violence we currently see directed at politicians—which is bad enough—may end up being directed at targets far easier to kill than politicians: each other.

If we want to stop that from happening, we need to start seeing our neighbors as more than left/right caricatures. We need to see the people we share our communities and country with as actual human beings, and remember that labels like “liberal” or “conservative” can never capture the totality of a human being.

We need to remember that there are red state conservatives who hire stay-at-home moms for tech jobs, and blue state liberals who build hot rods and listen to George Strait—and that it is possible for those people to coexist in the same country without hating one another.

And we need to remember that before anyone else gets shot.

This article was adapted and updated from an article that originally appeared on CNBC.

Dustin McKissen is the founder of McKissen + Company, and was recently named one of LinkedIn's "Top Voices on Management and Culture". He is also a columnist on Inc.com, and a contributor for CNBC.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

This seems to be somewhat applicable to some contributors to TheNewsTalkers, although it's hard to draw blood over the internet. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if someone told me to mind my own fucking business because I'm not an American.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Boy, I agree with this!  We all have to start looking at each other as multi-leveled people, not cardboard cutouts of people...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Trump is the most unqualified and unfit person to EVER run for the US presidency. 

Even though, based on his past and his present behavior, this is a given, we still have an endless stream of people trying to 'normalize' President* Trump. They huff and they puff and they puff and they huff and they twist words and twist logic on and on and on  on and on and on  on and on and on  on and on and on  on and on and on  on and on and on  on and on and on  on and on and on  on and on and on  on and on and on  on and on and on  on and on and on  on and on and on  on and on and on , hoping to wear everyone down. 

The answer is NO. Trump cannot be normalized. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

The answer is NO. Trump cannot be normalized. 

He can not be allowed to ever be normalized because he is not normal. The greatest threat to American democracy is not really Russian or Trumps love affair with them or even just Trump himself. It's allowing Trump to become "normalized". That can never, ever be allowed to happen. Ever. Because Trump is not normal. What is happening in the Oval Office is not normal. It is, by any definition of American history and government, abnormal and so is he.

Donald Trump is a proven liar. He lies often and effortlessly. He lies about the profound and the trivial. He lies to avoid guilt and invite glory. He lies when his pride is injured and when his pomposity is challenged.

Indeed, one of the greatest threats Trump poses is that he corrupts and corrodes the absoluteness of truth, facts and science.

This is what makes Trump qualitatively different from our leaders who came before him: He believes that truth is what he says it is, and the only reason it has yet to be accepted is that it has yet to be sufficiently repeated.

We all have to adjust to this unprecedented assault on the truth and stand ready to vigilantly defend against it, because without truth, what’s left? Our president is a pathological liar. Say it. Write it. Never become inured to it. And dispense with the terms of art to describe it. A lie by any other name portends the same.

Charles M. Blow  NY Times.

Never, ever "Normalize" it. Ever!

One Miscreant
Professor Silent
link   One Miscreant  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Trump is the most unqualified and unfit person to EVER run for the US presidency. 

And yet he was "elected" president. It is the rest of us that needs to learn something. I'll settle for remembering how to impeach the prez. Then roll back everything he undid, followed by citizens united. Stop letting these rich "people" by and sell our society like delu meat.

<<<One Miscreant pulls the theoretical bs pin and ducks out of view>>>

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  One Miscreant   7 years ago

And yet he was "elected" president.

That's a matter of opinion.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

If he wasn't elected President, what's he doing in the White House? Being delusional is not going to remove him.

Some people, including some here on NT, just do not care what happens to their own country.
Some people, including some here on NT, just do not care what happens to their own country.
Some people, including some here on NT, just do not care what happens to their own country. Some people, including some here on NT, just do not care what happens to their own country.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

He hasn't figured that out yet. Maybe he's too busy planning for a civil war.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Trump was elected President.  I didn't vote for him.  Nonetheless he is President of all Americans.  There will be no real civility or dialogue until those who didn't win the election get over it and move on.  Trump being normalized and accepted as the legitimately elected President is the only way to civil peace.  One doesn't have to like the President or support his policies. We do need to accept that he is President until Jan. 2021, come what may.  Stop the hate and let's make America great again.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

I am not interested in bonding with Trump supporters and I doubt there could ever be common ground.  For all I care they can all go to hell in their own little deplorable basket.  

I don't see the country coming together any time soon.  I'd sooner see another civil war break out than to learn I have anything in common with a Trump supporter.  

I refuse to dummy down because they don't value education and I'm not going to pretend that the man in the white house is anything other than a vile scumbag sexual assailant lying con man piece of shit.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Who said "bonding"?  How about "tolerating" your fellow Americans?  Civil War?  Yes, I AM more comfortable where I am than I would be where you are these days.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I didn't mention where you live Buzz so I'm guessing you mixed my post up with someone else's comments. 

No, I will not "tolerate" racism bigotry misogyny stupidity or selfish and greedy behavior.  I could not be friends or have any type of positive relationship with anyone who is a Trump supporter without compunction.  I am convinced and hold the belief that there is something mentally wrong with someone who would believe or support Trump unless like Dean they are doing it for greedy purposes only.  At least Dean is honest about it and I can respect his honesty even if I find it a little alarming.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I think you're right that I combined Pat's comment with yours about where I live. Maybe "tolerating" is too much of a stretch for a lot of people, but what I hope is that you are at least able to "survive" through these troubled times.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    7 years ago

I'd sooner see another civil war break out than to learn I have anything in common with a Trump supporter.  

Scary stuff that. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

I think it would be a blessing.  The country should be divided.  We are too different and we don't respect each other.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

The last civil war killed the proportional equivalent of six million Americans using  much more primative methods of killing people. One can only imagine how many Americans would be killed in another one.

I have no idea what sort of moral code thinks the death of six million is a blessing. I'm sure your family and friends would be happy to know youd rather some of them die so you don't have to. come to terms with the fact that trump supporters are not necessarily monsters.

PJ
Masters Quiet

I don't consider Trump supporters Americans.  They are twisted in their morals and have no honor towards this country.  

Tell me - what has Trump done to unite the country?  NOTHING

Trump doesn't want a united country.  He is trying to destroy anyone who disagrees with him through disenfranchising them anyway he can.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I don't consider Trump supporters Americans

Well, there you have it. Just like Jews weren't real Germans or Kulaks weren't real Russians. It's the predicate step to justifying  extermination. 

PJ
Masters Quiet

I'm not surprised you would go there.  I was thinking more along the lines of interlopers on American Democracy. 

I heard from a friend who lives in Georgia and she was telling me that Handel's campaign put out an add or message with one of those "alternate" southern meanings.  The implication was that "Ossoff wasn't "one of them" because he's Jewish.  (wink, wink....nod, nod).  

I'm not the one who has issues against people with diverse backgrounds......that would Trump and his supporters.  

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I don't consider Trump supporters Americans.  They are twisted in their morals and have no honor towards this country.  

Tell me - what has Trump done to unite the country?  NOTHING

Trump doesn't want a united country.  He is trying to destroy anyone who disagrees with him through disenfranchising them anyway he can.  

applause  applause  applause  applause  applause

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Trump is working on getting his agenda passed and has signed over 40 bills, some of them bipartisan efforts.  Trump will work for the middle and working class and will help companies create more jobs and investors with more to save for health savings accounts, education, 1st home purshase, and retirement.  He is getting things done in the interest of America.  We will normalize his Presidency come what may from the domestic disloyal opposition.  

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

He has signed suggestions, renamed some post offices and changed some regulations that will allow some petrochemical companies to pollute water ways (hear about those millions of fish that died in that river in Texas?). Other then that he has done NOTHING! Not a goddamn thing! No major Legislation. NOTHING!!!

At his love fest last week where he ordered all of his cabinet to lick his asshole he claimed to have done more as President since FDR which was hilarious! The best thing about that lie was that it made it so much easier for late night comedy writers to put together material because it was a 100% stinking. steaming pile of HORSE SHIT! He was LYING! And not just lying a little where he could slip it by. But outright boldfaced LYING OUT LOUD without even a hint of shame or TRUTH!! His whole presentation was ONE BIG LIE!!!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Yeah, but his handwriting is amazing!  Or was that an EKG printout?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

It does look like an EKG of a man having a really bad heart attack and needing the paddles! Badly!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

Sean, I pray we don't have another civil war.  Here in KY, we're still recovering from the last one.  It was awful, what it did to the people here, and awful, in general.  That's how I feel about it.  

Another civil war right now would devastate this country, and I pray it doesn't happen.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

If half of us lived in one part of the country and the other half lived in another it would be open warfare and I'm not so sure that would be so bad.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Yeah, Randy, it would...  Civil war isn't the answer!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

Indeed.  Someone who would rather kill their domestic political opponents in a civil war rather than work together to solve our problems is very scary.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    7 years ago

Interestingly, I found out that two friends of mine actually voted for Trump.

(But its getting late here in the Olde Hebrides Islands...so more on that scinctiallting story should be forthcoming tomorrow).

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

I find this whole discussion interesting. First, the article seemed kind of one sided. Not that it isn't true that most Dems view this election as the end of the world as we know it, but it seems to skip right over the name calling and mocking from the other republican counterparts. 

Then it went kind of off topic to Trump himself. That isn't what this article is about. 

Whoever my friends voted for, it didn't matter to me. This election isn't going to define any relationship I have. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I don't view this election as the end of the world as we know it. I view it as a Russian owned, controlled and backed asset getting into the Oval Office and who needs to be removed by whatever legal means is possible. When I look at the White House I do not see a President of the United States. I see a pro-Russian asset who is a danger to the democracy of my country. It is not the end of the world. It is simply a situation that must be, legally, dealt with.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

When I look at the White House I do not see a President of the United States. I see a pro-Russian asset who is a danger to the democracy of my country. It is not the end of the world. It is simply a situation that must be, legally, dealt with

I think there was definitely some money laundering going on through the Trump businesses for the Russians.  I absolutely think that will come out.  

When I look at the White House I do not see a President of the United States.  I see a con man who has used his position to intimidate and sexually assault girls and I see a very small minded man or isn't capable of looking beyond how something affects him personally.  He is incapable of leading the country because he doesn't understand that it requires you do put the country 1st.  

To this day he has not tried to unite the country.  He spouts off a talking point that his speech writers write and then his true feelings follow with his verbal assault and criticism against well OVER half the country who didn't vote for him.  He is a piece of shit.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Bravo PJ! Well said!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

https://www.conservativedailynews.com/2017/06/liberal-hate-mongers/

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

It's not often that I have to speak with liberals but when I do I order large fries and I always say please. A little curtesy goes a long way when dealing with them. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

That shit will kill you dude

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

It's rare that I eat junk food that's why I said it's not often. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

If you told them your true feelings, you'd be consuming a lot of spit.  Deservedly.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

https://www.conservativedailynews.com/2017/06/democrat-party-classified-terrorist-group/

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Well, there's a fair and balanced source. Mind if I post something from KOS?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

You all do it anyway so feel free.  Unlike your side I have zero interest in content control or limiting others speech.  

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I, since I have been a member, have never once, posted anything from kos, Do you why? Because you post such garbage from such totally shit sites that I don't need to post an opposing site because what you post is such crap all on it's own. It stinks so much that it doesn't need me to shit on it any more to add to the aroma. Have you ever tried getting anything from a REAL news source? Just once? Only one time? Just once? One time? Please? Not too much to ask? One time? Please?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

There are liberal member(s) who do and some of them participated in that meta on Saturday.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

I seed from Fox News, NewsMax, Daily Caller, and Town Hall news often enough.  They are real news sources.  

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

When I talk of Liberal Fascism, I'm not accusing anyone here of being one, but the actions that are being carried out by the leaders of the Democrat Party, including Hillary Clinton herself along with the Anarchist are defining the Party as being hijacked by Liberal Fascists.

It seems to go right over those who oppose Trump to such an extent they would rather see a civil war than to bond, get along or even accept Trump won the election and we all have to accept he won more electoral votes which elected him as the President of the United States.

You don't have to like it.  You don't even have to say Trump is your President as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not crazy about a lot of things or the person who was the last President, but I didn't allow myself to put photos on the wall of Obama voters and throw darts at them for 8 years.

I hear this, Mueller is going back years of Trump's business dealings to find something to get him kicked out of office.  Those may not be the same words, but they have the same meaning.  Do you honestly think if they had shown the same enthusiasm with Hillary's investigations, they couldn't have found something on her.

I mean her stuff is on the table, right there for anyone with a pair of eyes and willing to look to see.  You don't have to look for a year and still not come up with anything as they have done with Trump.  But if you're going to turn the dogs loose, a lynch mob on Trump, you'll get him for something, I'm sure.

Those who hate Trump so much it seems they have actually become mentally unstable to some extent don't want to even discuss the other candidate, it's all Trump and all of Hillary's accusations have suddenly been forgotten or don't even matter.

Neither one of them were good candidates.  I voted for Trump for two reasons.  Actually there are a few more now that I see just how shaky the Left are in this country.  But at least one of them has already been satisfied and I'm pretty confident about the other.

I see Obama being the main one who divided this country.  Trump wasn't even running for President for the last 8 years.  Trump wasn't protecting this country from Russian Hacking.  Trump didn't really have the support of the Republicans.  Trump didn't refuse to have the FBI look at his server and let a third party vendor who is known for hating Putin do it instead.  Trump didn't get the questions before the debate.  Trump didn't rig the election so he could win against his Primary opponents.  Trump didn't have a server in his bathroom.  Trump didn't lie to Congress and the American people about his server.  Trump didn't have anything to do with Benghazi and didn't lie to the parents and the American people about a video.  Trump didn't have the objective to try and get as many illegals and refugees as he could into this country and turn them into votes to sustain he Republican rule for decades.  Trump didn't tell the citizens we were going to continue on the path that had divided this country.  It was divided before Trump came into the spotlight.

There's no virtue in either of the candidates who ran for President of the United States, but one of them won the election.  To go out of your way to find something, anything to give reason for impeachment of him is a coup in my opinion and if enough buttons are pushed or enough drops of water bounce off the foreheads of those who voted for him, you may find they just are not going to take any more.  Their patience is the only thing preventing total anarchy in this country at this time and who knows how much longer they can take it without reacting in a decisively detrimental way.

I don't imagine any of us here will be a part of anything of that nature from either side, but the extremes on both sides are either pushing or being pushed to the limit.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

I simply don't get the kind of extremism that can wish for people to die, especially totally innocent people, over political differences of the nature that we have in America. In the context of governments, the difference between the Republicans and Democrats is almost non-existent. It's quibbling about the margins. 

Maybe it's because I don't live in a bubble and have many family friends who are liberal, that I don't equate the act of voting for Obama as marking the voter's family for death. I just think they are misguided on a particular subject. It doesn't make them non-persons.  

I'm glad my only exposure to liberals doesn't come from this board. With  exceptions, it's like looking into the minds of the people who cheered for the guillotining of kids for the "crimes" of their parents. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Thanks Six.  You said it very succinctly.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

It's sad that so many liberals have become so unhinged as to wish death upon their fellow citizens.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Agreed. And it was done without insulting any NewsTalker members. Did you see that, liberals?

Some people, including some here on NT, just do not care what happens to their own country. Some people, including some here on NT, just do not care what happens to their own country.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Yes, Six, Sean, Cerenkov, Spike, you all make great points.  Well said.  applausethumbs up

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Obama hate pic