╌>

As requested by Buzz and hopefully with some help from Mac

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  16 comments

As requested by Buzz and hopefully with some help from Mac

I know the below pictures are terrible. I took them with a point and click 14.0 Megapixel Polaroid with 15x camera before I got the much better camera that a good friend has provided to me now. I am afraid that they may be beyond help and are certainly beyond the help of the Photoshop Elements 7 that I have loaded and I don't think that even a pro-Photoshop could save them considering what there is to work with. Still Buzz suggested I throw them out here and see if anyone can do anything with them. I don't plan on going back to Hawaii soon (if ever) and it would be nice to have some half-way decent shots. They are all from Oahu, with the overlook shots being on the Eastern side of the island overlooking a Marine base and bay in the distance. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated along with instruction on what was done. Thank you in advance. Randy

DSCI0287.JPG

DSCI0286.JPG

DSCI0285.JPG

DSCI0284.JPG

DSCI0227.JPG

DSCI0226.JPG

DSCI0224.JPG

DSCI0222.JPG

DSCI0220.JPG

DSCI0218.JPG

DSCI0217.JPG

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

It was a misty day and that didn't help. I mean when is it not a moist day in Hawaii?

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Here you are Randy.  I was able to get some of them clearer.  I can't really eliminate the fog though.  I use Windows Picture It Premium 10 (comes with the Microsoft Works Package).  It has a feature called Touchup.  One of the things on Touchup is Restore Old Picture, which also works pretty well on new pictures that are a bit fuzzy.  What it does is sharpen the focus.  Also, I increased exposure and used Color Auto Fix.  That made them a little brighter without messing with the contrast too much.  Also cropped the Memorial and the Missouri shot to give a slightly closer view.

DSCI0284.JPG.jpg

DSCI0287.JPG.jpg

DSCI0287.JPG2.jpg

DSCI0218.JPG.jpg

DSCI0220.JPG.jpg

DSCI0222.JPG.jpg

DSCI0227.JPG.jpg

They still show up pretty fuzzy and dark when I put them back on here.  They were much brighter and clearer on my Photo Viewer and may be that way if you download them onto yours.  Even with that, I'm sure that Mac can do a much better job (that and his artistic eye are why he sells pictures and I don't).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago
(deleted)

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

They're a lot better than the ones I did Buzz.  If Mac's able to improve on those, they should end up perfect.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

Both of you did great work. Cruising to Hawaii has been one of those things that has always been on my "bucket list" of something to do before I die (and no, I am not dying (I least my MD says so)), but it was so frustrating having such a cheap camera along. You should see my garbage "whale watching" pics off from Maui. I don't think there is a single whale in any of the 100 plus pics I took! However at least I got to see them, even if they dove before I could get a shot. I guess like most tourists I expected them to come up alongside the boat and pose for me. LOL.

Just actually experiencing the Islands was a great experience.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

Thanks to both of you! Especially for the Overlook pictures! I understand about not being able to get rid of the mist, because it is natural mist and probably should be there. Either way the pictures look much better!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Randy,

Rock and Buzz showed you that your pictures aren't "terrible" at all. 

With digital photography, editing is inherent for a number of reasons, probably the most relevant being the fact that, unless shooting in RAW (NEF = Nikon Electronic Format), a digital camera will make decisions on many images before recording them to a memory card.

In some instances, depending on user settings, up to 33% of color information may be removed in order to compress file sizes and make "corrections".

I'll take a shot at these and post the edits one-at-a-time.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

DSCI0287.JPG.jpg

Battleship (I'll just do one of this subject) … the others will follow.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

DSCI0227.JPG.jpg

This one's a keeper, Randy!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

More later.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Wonderful pictures, y'all!  Thanks for them!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Great photos, keep'em coming.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

IMG_7297.JPG

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

IMG_7303.JPG IMG_7301.JPG IMG_7299.JPG