╌>

In Love with My Ultra Wide (10-20mm) Lens!

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  29 comments

In Love with My Ultra Wide (10-20mm) Lens!

It is sharp and clear and appears to have rectilinear distortion correction.

duskoveracountrymeadowagurmankin.jpg

© A. Mac/A.G.

Best Look at this Link

vinecoveredancienttreeatsunsetagurmankin.jpg

© A. Mac/A.G.

Best Look at this Link

woodenslabfencecountrymeadowagurmankin.jpg

Montgomery County, PA

© A. Mac/A.G.

Best Look at this Link

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Happy, happy!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Now, THOSE 3 photos are absolutely fantastic. Way to go. Obviously you are starting to master that lens.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Happy, happy!

Joy! Joy!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Great photo Mac. 

For some reason it does look tilted to the left to me...Is it just me?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Rectilinear?  Uh, what's that?  I could make a really bad joke here, but won't...

Everything is tilted to the left for me, these days...  Beautiful picture!  Tilted or not!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Rectilinear?

How 'bout …

"The preferred angle at which Preparation H is applied" …

Top that if you can, or …

… bottom out.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

LOL!!!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

There is some bending to the left … I did not hold the lens exactly parallel to the horizon … the greater the tilt from level, the greater the leaning at the edges.

With ultra-wide lenses, distortion seems not only "acceptable," but often … desirable as it sets the imagery apart from standard and long zoom lenses.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

OK.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

But wait … there's more …

… and a sincere thank you!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

OMG, what an amazing shot Mac. 

I have a question for you. If I wanted to paint that photo, do I have to ask your permission? 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

If I wanted to paint that photo, do I have to ask your permission? 

Technically, as a derivative, particularly if it is recognizable as having been derived from the original … yes.

But if you paint it without offering the painting for sale and or transmit copies electronically or otherwise, no one would know unless the painting subsequently changed hands and was then sold/published without the copyright holder's permission.

Short answer, "yes," and you have my permission if you wish to paint it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Thanks! :)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Happier yet with second photo posted below the first.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Posted a third image … when I grow up, I want to be like Andrew Wyeth.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

But what does a photographer do when he doesn't have an ultra-wide-angle fisheye lens?  He IMPROVISES.

July 9 11.jpg

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

LOL, dear Buzz!

A new park opened up here a couple of years ago, and I finally learned how to get to it-- I know that doesn't sound like much, but even the road map didn't help.  It's tucked away near Floyd's Fork, and you can see it from the highway, but I've explored and explored and we finally found it!  (Question:  Just who WAS Floyd?  He has a fork, he has knobs, he has a county, he has all these places, and I have no idea who Floyd was...)

Anyway, that's where we're taking Matthew to learn how to drive, so I hope to get some pictures there...  Lots and lots of meadows, woods, etc.  It's really beautiful!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Seems to me you don't have much faith in Matthew's driving ability - taking him to somewhere so remote that nobody can find their way to it. LOL

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Hahaha!  Everyone else can find it, it was just me...  It's a perfect place to practice driving.  Rolling hills, parking lots, bridges, etc.  And other traffic.  I'll try to get some pictures!  He's doing well, so far, and is "catching on".  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Okay, this is an opening to tell you about my very first driving accident.  I was 15, had a "learner's permit" which allowed me to drive only my family's car and while accompanied by an adult driver.  My father owned a 1951 Hudson Hornet, what was called then the "step down" car because the floor was lower than in any other car. He loved that car. The car was parked in our driveway, so he gave me the keys and told me to put the car in the garage, which was at the end of the driveway but past a little direction left then right, and he watched from the kitchen door. 

So I got into the car, thought I had closed the door properly, started the car and put it into "drive 1" (It was an automatic, first time I ever drove one because I was learning to drive at a driving school that used manual shift cars.)  I drove it slowly into the (single) garage, getting through the door okay, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with the angle because of that little direction change in the driveway, so I put the car into reverse, looked over my right shoulder through the rear window (as I was taught to do) and slowly backed up. I then heard a bang and the car shuddered, so thinking about the manual shift cars I had been practising on I hit what I thought was the clutch and then the brake. EXCEPT, there was no clutch and because of my twisted body angle to see out the back window, I hit the accelerator instead. The car shot backwards, and the sound I had heard was because the door was not closed properly, and while backing up it opened and caught on the garage door frame. When the car shot backward in power (it was a pretty powerful car for its time) the car door, being caught on the garage doorframe, swung all the way around and crashed against the front fender, jamming the car in the garage door. Other than a slight tinkle of falling parts on the garage floor, the only sound I heard was my father's scream and his banging his head on the kitchen floor a few times, having fallen to his knees.

He then traded the partial wreck in on a 1952 Hudson Hornet. I EVENTUALLY was allowed to drive it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

How long is eventually Buzz. A month, year? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

At least 6 months

Kavika
Professor Principal

Buzz's new Ojibwe name...''Destroyer of Cars''....Laugh

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Okay, but what is that in Ojibwe?

Kavika
Professor Principal

odaabaan nishwanaajichige

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Oh, okay. I think I'll stick with Buzz of the Orient.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

LOL, Buzz!  Funny things happen to all of us when we start driving!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

More tomorrow.

Good night.