╌>

Vatican Says All-Powerful God Can’t Transform Into Gluten-Free Crackers

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  hal-a-freeganlujah  •  7 years ago  •  26 comments

Vatican Says All-Powerful God Can’t Transform Into Gluten-Free Crackers
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2017/07/10/vatican-says-all-powerful-god-cant-transform-into-gluten-free-crackers/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=BRSS&utm_campaign=Nonreligious&utm_content=361

The Catholic Church believes Jesus can do anything in the world, including turn himself into a literal cracker… unless it is made of gluten-free bread.

Cardinal Robert Sarah, at the request of Pope Francis, reportedly sent a letter condemning the use of gluten-free bread during the Eucharist ceremony. (The church does support low-gluten options, however.)

The letter quoted an earlier document on the “norms for the celebration of the Eucharist by persons who, for varying and grave reasons, cannot consume bread made in the usual manner nor wine fermented in the normal manner.”

Hosts that are completely gluten-free are invalid matter for the celebration of the Eucharist. Low-gluten hosts (partially gluten-free) are valid matter, provided they contain a sufficient amount of gluten to obtain the confection of bread without the addition of foreign materials and without the use of procedures that would alter the nature of bread.

The move, I’m sure, comes as a slap in the face to Catholic believers who also happen to suffer from celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder that causes small intestine damage to sufferers who ingest gluten. Those Catholics could benefit from gluten-free options… but the Vatican has never been the authority on inclusiveness so we shouldn’t be all that surprised.

The most interesting part of all this, to me, is the implication that the lack of gluten in a cracker makes transubstantiation impossible. We are talking about a demi-god who can walk on water and come back to life after being crucified. That guy is thwarted by gluten? That’s where the Church is deciding to draw the line? What’s next? Superman, who can stop speeding bullets, unable to deal with a dodgeball?

I’m sure Jesus, if he is really an incarnation of an all-powerful deity, wouldn’t have a problem transubstantiating regardless of the gluten content of the cracker. This is just another nonsense regulation on top of the already nonsense Catholic belief.

Despite the fact that gluten-free options are banned from Catholic Mass, the Church is apparently okay with Jesus transubstantiating into a cracker made of genetically modified organisms (GMOs):

The same Congregation also decided that Eucharistic matter made with genetically modified organisms can be considered valid matter… Those who make bread and produce wine for use in the Mass must be aware that their work is directed towards the Eucharistic Sacrifice and that this demands their honesty, responsibility and competence.

I suppose that’s a step in the right direction as it relates to scientific advancement. Oh, well. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

IMG_7620.JPG

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

As usual, Newstalkers is up to it's typical anti-Catholicism. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

John,

Everyone on this article (with the exception of me) is Catholic. I think it's supposed to be taken lightly. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

The person who seeded it is a very vocal atheist, and the others are not practicing Catholics. 

Newstalkers has an unfortunate history of anti-Catholic articles and comments. When the false story was posted, on three different occasions, alleging that the  current Pope had murdered and eaten babies, it was not taken down on sight.  Rather, the story was "looked into" to see if it came from a valid source. Do you recall when I had to inform you that the Hague International Tribunal on Human Rights, or whatever the hell the fake news story claimed, DID NOT EXIST? 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

And we all remember your anti-Mormon stance when Romney was running as well. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

What I don't understand is who would ever take seriously that the Pope had ever eaten babies in the first place? The story, the allegation, is so absurd that only to most insane anti-Catholic could take it seriously and certainly there is not a single person on this site that would.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

John, I know two people who are gluten intolerant.  They spent years suffering with the condition, bedridden for days at a time, before they found the right doctor to diagnose their mysterious condition.  One of them is a Catholic, so I assume she must pass on the whole eating Christ thing.  If this cultish ritual brings so much comfort to religionists, as you are implying, why on earth should it be made inaccessible to some of its members?  There is a seriousness to this story, and ironically you are the one hammering it home with your staunch defense of the indefensible.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend and Brother in Spirit John Russell: Know that there are those here, and I am one who respects all heritages, religious and humanitarian. 

This includes the Roman Catholic religion.

Yours is a full rich tradition.

Wear it well and with pride.

May it bring out the best in you.

May all approaches to living this life, each one chosen by every person based on what appeals and works maximally well for them bring out their own personal best.

The world improves one good deed and kind thought at a time.

Peace and Abundant Blessings to One and All.

Enoch.