╌>

Cathedrals, Churches and Shrines of parts of Mexico.

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  17 comments

Cathedrals, Churches and Shrines of parts of Mexico.

First is the Church of Santa Prisca as seen from across the gorge in Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico. It's really more of a Cathedral and is known more formally as  The Parroquia de Santa Prisca y San Sebastían. Taxco is a Silver mining town about a 4 hour drive inland from Acapulco.

aChurch of Santa Prisca.JPG

This is distant front view photo of the Church of Santa Prisca as seen with the much older Santisima Trinidad Chapel in the foreground.

aSantisima Trinidad Chapel.JPG

Below is a rather ornate family shrine at a small clay works just outside of Acapulco. There are many of them at many family businesses and homes that we visited. As you can see we were there just before Christmas.

Family Shrine.jpg

Next is The Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Puerto Vallarta. Unfortunately as beautiful as it is, there is really no good place to take a photo of it from the front.

Our Lady of Guadalupe.jpg

Below is a photo of the main alter in the Cathedral.

Our Lady of Guadalupe Alters.jpg

This is a separate Shrine for Prayer in the side courtyard of the Cathedral.

Our Lady of Guadalupe outdoor Shrine.JPG

I suppose most people would find it rather odd that an atheist such as myself would enjoy taking pictures of Cathedrals and Churches and such, but I have always admired the effort and architecture of many of them and the evidence of the power role of the Catholic faith in Mexico is. Unfortunately it has not always been a pleasant history as many of the indigenous people of Mexico were forced by Spanish conquerors to basically become Catholic or die.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

I hope you enjoy...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Excellent photos, Randy. You need not be a Catholic to appreciate their cathedrals and other architecture and artworks.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Thank you. I was raised Catholic and I suppose there is still some of it in me. My late father used to say that if you are born Catholic it's almost like being born a certain race. It's just something you are. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Art and Architecture are universal - doesn't matter what your background is if you are open-minded enough to appreciate it.  

I consider those who destroy it, even for reasons dictated by their own religion, to be uncivilized barbarians.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

Absolutely beautiful photos Randy!  Thanks for sharing them.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Thank you. My pleasure and I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Great photos Randy...

I have been in probably the exact spot that your took the photo of the The Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Puerto Vallarta. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Thanks. Then you know what I mean by it's almost impossible to get a good shot of the front of it, which is a shame.

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen    7 years ago

Lovely architecture!  Thanks for sharing these with us, Randy.  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Wonderful pictures, Randy!  Thanks for them!

I've always been in awe of the colorful parts of the Mexican churches-- I have wished that our churches here weren't quite so plain.  Maybe Catholic churches are more colorful than Methodist churches-- I haven't been in a lot of them...

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Lovely architecture!  Thanks for sharing these with us, Randy. 

Thank you! I love the look of them and admire the dedication it took to build them, mostly by hand.

Maybe Catholic churches are more colorful than Methodist churches

I don't think that there is really much of a difference here in the States, except for Churches in mostly Hispanic neighborhoods?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

You're probably right!  

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

When we were in Mexico or even in a Hispanic neighborhood in L.A. or Phoenix, the stores and houses, etc., were always more colorful. Especially the houses which always seemed to be painted in bright colors. Very pretty some of them.

In Mexico most of the private homes were unfinished as you can't get a mortgage down there, so families add on as they are able to save up the money to.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

My internet connection is getting more sporadic up here in the Poconos; I hope to get through this comment as the photo essay is deserving of praise.

Clearly, the subject matter is both interesting and well composed … the exposure is good throughout, so, we have a grand slam! Content, composition, exposure and good color!

Nice post, Randy … NT is growing visually rich because of posts like this!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Thanks! I have learned much about composition looking at your pics. At one time I would have thought of these as throw away shots, but through a little proper cropping and enhancement they seem to have turned out pretty good!