╌>

Trump said Jews 'are only in it for themselves' and 'stick together': report - Business Insider

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 years ago  •  22 comments

By:   Oma Seddiq (Business Insider)

Trump said Jews 'are only in it for themselves' and 'stick together': report - Business Insider
The president made the remarks in front of administration officials after a phone call with Jewish lawmakers, according to The Washington Post.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Donald Trump. Getty Images/Sarah Silbiger

• President Donald Trump reportedly said Jews "are only in it for themselves" and "stick together" after a call with Jewish lawmakers.
  • The president privately made the comments to senior officials in his administration, according to a report from The Washington Post.
  • Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

President Donald Trump reportedly suggested that Jews have a loyalty to their religion above other interests, repeating an accusation that has long been used to stoke anti-Semitism.

Jews "are only in it for themselves" and "stick together," Trump said in front of officials in his administration, according to a new report from The Washington Post on Wednesday.

More than two dozen current and former Trump administration officials spoke with The Post about the president's views on race and described racist remarks they said he has made while in office.

The president's characterizations of Jews occurred after he got off the phone with Jewish lawmakers, the officials said.

Trump has made similar statements about Jewish people, including during a conference call last week with American Jews when he said "we love your country," referring to Israel.

He also told an audience of Jewish Americans that Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu is "your prime minister" and called Jews who are Democrats "disloyal."

The idea that Jews hold a greater allegiance to their religion than their own country, otherwise known as "dual loyalty," is widely believed to be anti-Semitic.

Many American Jews have condemned Trump's insinuations and pointed to the history of violence and persecution that Jews have faced as evidence of what such rhetoric can lead to.

The Washington Post also reported clashes between Trump and some of his senior officials over his comments following the infamous Unite the Right rally that took place in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August 2017. Hundreds of neo-Nazis and white supremacists stormed the college town and were soon met by counterprotesters, leading to violence that left many injured and one person dead.

Trump later said that there were "fine people on both sides." Gary Cohn, the White House economic adviser at the time, had an intense exchange with Trump following the statement, The Post reported.

"Not only did you say it, you continued to double down on it," Cohn said, according to The Post. "And if you want, I'll get the transcripts."

John Kelly, then the White House chief of staff, also criticized Trump at the time, according to The Post.

"You have to fix this," he said. "You were supporting white supremacists. You have to go back out and correct this."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

The gop doesn't get why people find him deplorable!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago

No... They ignore it because their base are aligned with it.

You have Americans that understand the Constitution, and those that ignore the path to authoritarianism. [deleted]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I guess he's not happy with having made only Asian Americans targets, so he's painted a bullseye on Jews as well.  What's next, Muslims?

How in God's name can decent intelligent Americans vote for that P.O.S?

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    4 years ago

Decent intelligent Americans are not voting Trump!

A minority who do are those HRC called deplorable.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    4 years ago

I know that something about Trump isn't Kosher.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @2.2    4 years ago

Not even palatable.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.2.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  JBB @2.2    4 years ago

Nope..... A truckload of lipstick isn't going to help.........

JBB
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

In 2016 American Jewish vote was 71% Democratic!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @3    4 years ago

Hopefully that percentage will increase this time around.  I guess Trump can count on at least two Jewish votes - Jared and Ivanka.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    4 years ago

In the 2018 midterms the IS Jewish Democratic vote was up 4% to 75%. It may be 80% this year.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @3.1.1    4 years ago

As you probably already know, near the beginning of his term, when he moved the Embassy to Jerusalem, I was in favour of him, but as time went on and I began to see what he was really like, and saw the things he was doing, things I did NOT agree with, bullying Trudeau, causing additional expense for both Americans and Chinese with his tariffs, bashing China, totally mismanaging the virus and blaming anyone but himself, using language that endangered Asian Americans, I realized he was not what I first thought, and became a model of anti-Trumpism.  Even if the Israelis like him, I think that when his time comes it will be a waste of his time and energy "Knock knock knocking on Heaven's Door" - there is a more fitting place for him elsewhere. 

Hey, when even a Canadian woman tries to poison him, that should tell the story.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Krishna  replied to  JBB @3.1.1    3 years ago
In the 2018 midterms the IS Jewish Democratic vote was up 4% to 75%. It may be 80% this year.

Now this is interesting:

Poll: Nearly 7 in 10 US Jews think Republican Party holds anti-Semitic views

More than two-thirds of American Jews, and slightly more than half of all Americans, believe the Republican Party holds a lot or some anti-Semitic views.

That’s one takeaway from two surveys published Monday by the American Jewish Committee, just over a week before the US elections. The surveys asked   Jews   and the general American   public   about anti-Semitism in the United States.

The Jewish survey found that an overwhelming majority of Jews — 88% — consider anti-Semitism a problem, and that most see it as a problem on the right and in the Republican Party. Those findings were in line with what the AJC, a nonpartisan advocacy organization, found when it   surveyed   American Jews last year.

A majority of Americans overall also believe that the Republican Party holds anti-Semitic views.

(Note: Article is from late 2020)

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.4  Krishna  replied to  JBB @3.1.1    3 years ago

I used to be quite active politically. Among other things I did voter registration in Black communities in the South in the 60s. And later in other parts of the country. 

One of the things that surprised me from the start was that of those White people in the Civil Rights movement...what a YUGE percentager were Jews.

Later I was an activist in other parts of the country and noticed the same trend.

Anti-Semitism had always high in much of the Republican Party, but the Dems were against racism.

Sadly, much of the Democratic Party has started to change in that regard. And surprisingly, even some commentators MSNBC had fed the fueled of racism by their uneven coverage of the Middle East.. And of course the bigotry of those like Rashida Talib and Ilhan Omar.

Unless the Democratic party gets them to stop the racist hate mongering, IMO the numbers of Jews (as well as non-Jews opposed to racism) will decrease significantly! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.5  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.4    3 years ago

Unless the Democratic party gets them to stop the racist hate mongering, IMO the numbers of Jews (as well as non-Jews opposed to racism) will decrease significantly! 

And don't believe that people aren't listening to the likes of Omar or Talib-- or for that matter Velshi, Reid, and a few others:

As incidents like the following one--due to hatred incited by some of those mentioned, is not only bad for democracy...but will also cause significant defections from the Democrats:

CNN " Jewish man attacked in a 'gang assault' in New York City"

A 29-year-old Jewish man who was attacked in a "gang assault" in New York City told CNN's Don Lemon he just wanted to survive the attack and make it out alive.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I didn't know Trump was Jewish.  The Trumpbino crime family is only in it for themselves and he and his rich buddies stick together.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    3 years ago
I didn't know Trump was Jewish.

They're not.

(With two exceptions: Jared is, so now Ivanka claims to be as well).

Orthodox of course....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @4.1    3 years ago

She converted in 2009.

Got anything slightly more current, or are we just rehashing all the old news now?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Krishna @4.1    3 years ago

I guess I forgot the s/ tag lol.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    3 years ago
The Trumpbino crime family is only in it for themselves

And to promote Goya products as well!

Ivanka Trump says she had ‘every right’ to promote Goya Foods  products on social media

Although personally I prefer this one:

[Re: "President Trump Suggests ‘Injecting’ Disinfectant as Coronavirus Cure"]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

What, Donald trump is at the very least completely okay with racism if not outright racist and apparently doesn’t have a problem stoking anti-semitism when he feels like it? Surprise surprise. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  Krishna  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5    3 years ago
What, Donald trump is at the very least completely okay with racism if not outright racist and apparently doesn’t have a problem stoking anti-semitism when he feels like it? Surprise surprise. 

Exactly.

I can't help but wonder what's next? Maybe-- calling Klan member David Duke a fine person-- not racist-- someone who's working for peace and harmony?

Former KKK leader David Duke: 'We won it for Donald Trump'

A former Ku Klux Klan leader – or 'grand wizard' – has suggested fascists had helped Donald Trump win the US presidential election.

David Duke, who once led the neo-Nazi, white-supermacist organisation, tweeted the claim on election night.

“This is one of the most exciting nights of my life,” Mr Duke wrote.

“Make no mistake about it , our people have played a huge role in electing Trump!”

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6  Ronin2    3 years ago

More fictional unnamed sources from the media.

More than two dozen current and former Trump administration officials spoke with The Post about the president's views on race and described racist remarks they said he has made while in office.

Why not name them? What do they have to fear? Trump is no longer in power. The Democrats are working feverously to make sure he never rises again. They can gain instant fame with the left in the US for 15 minutes if they simply come forward. If enough of them do they might even be believed by those that support Trump still.

Until them file this in the same circular file as all of those other unnamed sources the media used to try and defame Trump. Stupid thing is Trump does enough stupid shit in public the media could concentrate on; instead they give his whole "fake news" argument new wings every time they trot out this garbage.