╌>

Kevin McCarthy is right. Here is what the Jan. 6 commission really needs.

Category:  Satire

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  14 comments

By:   Alexandra Petri - WaPo

Kevin McCarthy is right. Here is what the Jan. 6 commission really needs.
How good it will be to hear both sides.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

How right, how right Leader Kevin McCarthy was to accuse Nancy Pelosi of playing politics with the Jan. 6 commission! That is the last thing we need in this commission: a one-sided, negative attitude toward the events of Jan. 6.

Suppose Rep. Jim Jordan did possibly strategize with President Donald Trump about how to overturn the election, and suppose Rep. Jim Banks did say, “Speaker Pelosi created the committee solely to malign conservatives & justify the Left’s authoritarian agenda” — all the more reason to have them closely in the fold on the commission! How do we expect to hear both sides with a commission comprising solely people who think the insurrection was a bad thing?

Why, as currently constituted, the commission will discover only negative things about the storming of the Capitol on Jan. 6 that had members of Congress cowering for their lives in the face of an unhinged mob. The members are probably just going to look into all the so-called horrors that occurred and try to find ways of preventing the events of Jan. 6 from happening again — a pathetic, narrow-minded view, when a good, well-rounded commission would consider whether they maybe should happen again, and how to encourage them.

Trying to include Jordan on the commission was a step in the right direction, certainly, but not far enough. A better commission would include, at minimum, the QAnon Shaman, as well as that man who burst into Pelosi’s office and left her an enraged, misspelled note. This commission will hear testimony of Eugene Goodman’s heroism, the quick thinking that left him facing a mob alone. But a truly balanced commission would consider how scary it was for the mob, as well!

This will be closer to getting a real picture of all the parts of Jan. 6 that otherwise might have been overlooked. On the one hand, many of those who were there that day going about their jobs are still rattled and scarred. But on the other hand, people took a lot of great selfies. Not to mention all the free redecorating that occurred! These facts would have gotten lost in all this needless denunciation.

How can we possibly move on when we focus solely on holding the rioters accountable and spare no thought for the millions of voters whose careless casting of their ballots for Joe Biden created this mess? How can America possibly heal if we insist on seeing only the bad side of an attempt to stop the peaceful functioning of our democracy and threaten the entire legislative branch, and not also the nifty things about it, such as how creative the headgear was and how many of the insurrectionists have mothers who love them? Or how good it would be if Donald Trump were still president, and what a coward Mike Pence was, say. I bet the commission will not even spare a single second to ponder whether everyone who was wounded, traumatized or killed might not have been overreacting?

I am just devastated to find that we are going to have a body that will take such a one-sided, limited view of an event that, for all we know, might have been a good thing. How political! How small-minded, how parochial! Truly, they are letting the country down.

That is why I am so relieved the House Republicans will be opening their own investigation into the events of Jan. 6. How good it will be to hear both sides

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Masters Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

The misinformation boys 'n galz are already having a full speed ahead field day. Could be time to go to the cottage and play Solo-Snap.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2  devangelical    3 years ago
that man who burst into Pelosi’s office and left her an enraged, misspelled note

uh oh, do we need to have a trumpster roll call here?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    3 years ago

good stuff

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Sincere both-sides-ers will probably struggle a little with finding value in both sides of trying to overthrow the government. Nonetheless some will try. 

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
5  Drakkonis    3 years ago

While the satire is funny, I admit, it's also kind of pointless. Like I need a congressional "investigation" to tell me what I should think about it. People throw around words like "insurrection" and "coup", as if they are applicable. Well, giving such terms the benefit of doubt, Jan 6th had to be the most inept application of such terms ever. I mean, I'm no master mind. I admit it. But even I know that if I am planning an insurrection or coup, I'm going to need something a lot more than simply occupying real estate. And guns. Guns would probably be a handy thing to have. Oh, and a plan would probably be good, too. 

Further, even someone as simple as I am sort of knows I'd need a lot of pieces in place to make the whole insurrection/coup thing work. Like, control of the military at the least. Sort of seems like an important one. After all, governments, when you get right down to it, remain governments because they control all the firepower that matters. 

Think about it. If my options for an insurrection/coup attempt is to either go with a fully armed military takeover or a bunch of emotionally charged civilians vandalizing real estate, I'm pretty sure I'd go with the military every time. But, hey, that's just me. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Drakkonis @5    3 years ago

Basically what some of us have been saying for some time now but they left knows what they want and they keep the narrative going. To what end I don't specifically know but I have a hunch.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Drakkonis @5    3 years ago

Well, those "patriot" stormtroopers don't look like the sharpest bulbs in the shed, do they? So what was their purpose of storming the Bastille? Seriously, what do you think their purpose was?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2    3 years ago
Seriously, what do you think their purpose was?

If I may, they were angry, misguided, sheep and all it took was a couple of people to stir them up and start to move and they just followed. Stupid doesn't even begin to describe their actions. It was gang mentality but they were too ignorant to know what they could have been up against. When they saw they had the numbers, it was Katie bar the door for those morons.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2.1    3 years ago

I agree with everything you said. But I also believe there were at least one or two individuals who knew what was happening that day (election certification) and were bound and determined to stop it and create a constitutional crisis

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.2    3 years ago

And I don't think you are far off at all. The problem is, they didn't take into account that the average IQ that day was probably in the mid 80's. I may be being generous LOL

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2.3    3 years ago

I think you have to have an IQ in the mid 80's to make your way to DC from across the country..so I think you're close

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
5.2.5  Drakkonis  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2    3 years ago

I don't think I could improve on what Jim said. That I think the Left is largely made up of mindless sheep who operate on emotion rather than logic, that doesn't mean the Right doesn't have them as well. 

We all have our fantasies. Mine would be that, if I had been there on the 6th, I would have implored the mob to turn back. I would have told them that not only what they were doing was pointless, it would actually work against them. That they were doing what their perceived enemies dreamed they would do. I think Pelosi, when she first found out about what was happening, she experienced something like an orgasm. In her wildest imaginations, she could not have wished for a better gift than what these idiots gave her. I think most on the right realize this, which is why you don't see the news covering riots from the right. 

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
5.2.6  Drakkonis  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2    3 years ago

I don't think that's possible to answer, since I doubt the participants actually knew themselves. If I had to speculate on a "why" I would say they had the same reason as all the other rioters over the last couple of years. To feel like they were doing something. Put another way, they were trying to achieve emotional satisfaction. I don't think they actually had something like a unified goal.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     3 years ago

Funny stuff.