╌>

Paternity leave is only for the weak!

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  61 comments

By:   Alexandra Petri - WaPo

Paternity leave is only for the weak!

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

I LIVE TRAPPED IN A MASCULINE PRISON OF MY OWN CREATION, AND I AM GLAD PEOPLE HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING THAT THE SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION TOOK PATERNITY LEAVE. NO ONE SHOULD TAKE PATERNITY LEAVE, EVER. PATERNITY LEAVE IS FOR THE WEAK, PEOPLE NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO TYPE EVERY SENTENCE IN ALL CAPS BY HOLDING DOWN THE SHIFT KEY AS I AM.

What new parents OUGHT to do instead is what was done FOR GENERATIONS before everyone became WEAK and POLITICALLY CORRECT: They ought to expose the child to the elements on a mountaintop and go about their lives.

This has the advantage that if a shepherd comes along and takes pity on the baby and decides to rear it as his own, you will be spared the prohibitive cost of child care, education and putting food into the baby. It is unclear why this shepherd would wish to spare a moment from his assigned labor to lavish affection on a strange baby (there is no meaning to be found in life besides work), but this frees you up to do important things such as THINK ABOUT FISHING and HUG A GUN and WORK and WONDER IF YOU’LL EVER KNOW LOVE.

The ONLY potential downside to this masculine arrangement of abandoning your baby is that years later you may be accidentally killed by a handsome stranger who then marries your wife and afterward turns out to be the baby, but this is more of a problem for the baby than it is for you, who will be dead but will have as consolation the thought that you never took any paternity leave.

If this is too much of a drawback, simply leave on a whaling vessel for the next three years. This has the advantage of having the word “leave” in it, so if people are not paying close attention when you tell them about your life (they seldom are), they will nod along and then be very surprised later! This has the additional upsides of making certain the baby does not come to view itself as your dependent and also of not entrammeling your spouse with (probably unwanted) assistance.

In fact, never afford your partner even a moment of rest or respite; if people stay awake for three solid days sometimes they start to hallucinate, and you wouldn’t want to deny your partner this. Macbeth never slept and was, I think, fine.

It is bad if you bond with the baby. It is proper for a baby to view its parents with a thrilling compound of unrecognition and distrust; this will help the baby to write novels later and give it something to discuss with its therapist. (This, again, assumes it survives, an outcome you shouldn’t be married to.) All you ought to do at this stage is put your newborn on the ground next to anunopened can of beansand a drawer containing all the tools it might possibly require. If the baby figures out how to thrive, great! If not, well, this happened to the Founders often.

So do not allow yourself to be made a fool of by the Big Baby industrial complex, which insists that your child is crying because it is too hot or cold or hungry or uncomfortable, not because it is WEAK and trying to weasel out of learning self-reliance. Never be swayed by the people who were attended to and loved as children — you turned out fine, after all.

This is why parental leave is such a mistake. It leaves the infant with the erroneous notion that anyone in the world is anything other than indifferent to its well-being, that people other than you might care about what happens to you. And that’s not how the world works. Maybe in Europe, but certainly not here.

If America wanted you to do anything different, you’d think there would be any kind of guaranteed family leave, but this country is just too strong for anything like that.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Masters Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

Chagrin seeders could use some leave from Buttigeg bashing also.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Hallux @1    3 years ago

Two men trying to raise a child....how healthy can that be? 
I suspect a nanny or two does most of the care giving while the daddies are away

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 years ago

Wow. And some conservatives want more 'baby dumps' on the 'mission' trails of America - why again? Please tell me you don't demand birth mom and "daddy" to live together happily ever after for the sake of the child. (It ain't the case all the time.) Don't go there!

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 years ago

Apparently not as healthy as your imagination.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 years ago

Probably as "healthy" as any couple raising a child.

I suspect a nanny or two does most of the care giving while the daddies are away

Based on what? Or is that just an assumption?

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.5  CB  replied to    3 years ago

See some conservatives 'sell' that family values crap for political gain and fund-raising. What they really want to do is taunt, bully, and be crude predators to people they want to laugh at (not behind their backs) to their faces! Tucker thought he was being 'smart' with his breastfeeding quip, instead he exposed himself as a troglodyte chauvinist who wants liberty to express 'sissy' jokes at men different from his way of looking at and living life.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @1.1.5    3 years ago

If I were Tucker I'd be careful with those sissy jokes....

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.1.7  Colour Me Free  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 years ago

Ooo my .. can't touch this .. but I can say WOW backwards

Perhaps 'the nanny' will be a man .. ?  or [and this is even better] Chasten will remain home with the children, he has a masters degree in education, but quit teaching when Pete was running for president .. sounds to me like children being raised by 2 men like Pete and Chasten Buttigieg will be blessed with love, kindness and an amazing education ...!

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.1.8  Veronica  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.3    3 years ago

As if children of heterosexual couples are not sometimes raised by nannies, or did gay couples invent nannies?

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1.9  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Colour Me Free @1.1.7    3 years ago
but I can say WOW backwards

Yes you can and as an added bonus you can say it upside down.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.1.10  Colour Me Free  replied to  Hallux @1.1.9    3 years ago

I amaze myself .. : )

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1.11  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Colour Me Free @1.1.10    3 years ago

Me too ... especially when I read my diary.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
1.1.12  al Jizzerror  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.6    3 years ago

jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.1.13  Colour Me Free  replied to  Hallux @1.1.11    3 years ago

HA!  : )

You need to dig out the music video - I have not seen it in awhile ..!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.14  Split Personality  replied to  Colour Me Free @1.1.13    3 years ago

there also a few hundred featuring animated Warcraft characters, lol.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Hallux @1    3 years ago
Chagrin seeders could use some leave from Buttigeg bashing also.

Mr. Buttigeg would have been a better choice for President. A young, highly intelligent and educated guy who served in the military and is a veteran, with a largely rational outlook on current issues.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2    3 years ago

Maybe soon

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.1    3 years ago

One can hope.

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.2.3  Veronica  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2    3 years ago

I also think he would have been a better choice.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.4  Gordy327  replied to  Veronica @1.2.3    3 years ago

It's too bad his campaign didn't catch traction.

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.2.5  Veronica  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.4    3 years ago

I know.  

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.6  CB  replied to  Veronica @1.2.5    3 years ago

Not all liberal men consider (or understand) homosexuality or homosexual men well or sufficient enough to trust in being 'led' in national policy-making. Additionally, Pete Buttigieg is very intelligent, astute, and comfortable in his own skin and marriage. These are confidence building factors. Still, some who would vote for him, were hard-pressed to model for the world two men in a loving relationship sleeping in the White House together at this time. I know this, because some liberals told me so.

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.2.7  Veronica  replied to  CB @1.2.6    3 years ago

Too sad that some will rule out competent people based on who they sleep with, but will not think twice voting for  a thrice married, serial adulterer or a philanderer.  Sad state of affairs in my thinking.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.8  CB  replied to  Veronica @1.2.7    3 years ago

It is sad. Candidly-speaking, Buttigieg needs to 'cook' more. That is smart, fast on his feet, though he is, still he lacks a 'reputation' in national politics. We see to see him work through the problem-solving gauntlets of D.C. We need to see if he can be resilient and not easily distracted by D.C.'s opposing forces 'buffeting' him like waves. We even need to see if his marriage is on par with the idea (of permanence) that we expect from our leaders, whether these marriages succeed or fail publicly.

Even more novel than the first black president, or the first woman president, will be first homosexual male or female president because of unknowns and unfamiliarity with the subject matter by the majority of citizens.

The first homosexual president of one stripe or another will come in the 'fullness' of time, nevertheless.

That's my take, anyway, as a homosexual 'insider.'

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @1.2.8    3 years ago

He does need seasoning. But I think he's got the wherewithal to make it.

As for those liberals who have a hard time imagining 2 men sharing the same bed in the WH?

They just need to get over themselves. Nobody cares about who they sleep with

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.10  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.9    3 years ago

It's a sensitive thought exercise. I will admit that and give them that (one). Takes a minute, why because your imagination does engage. (Okay, do you want the visual? Or, is it too much information, my dear?)

Let's let it hang out there for a period, as we allow the guest Lincoln Bedroom to think this through! (Chuckles.)

Thought exercise:

First female president and first husband?

First homosexual president accompanied by first husband or first wife?

(See what I did there?) 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

Two months off during the worst transportation crises in decades.  

Helluva job Petey..

Hallux
Masters Principal
2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    3 years ago

What makes you think he is not online with all departments involved?

Helluva post Treacy ... 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hallux @2.1    3 years ago

ou think he is not online with all departments involved?

Then he's working remotely and not on leave. 

evilone
Professor Guide
3  evilone    3 years ago

The fragility of the conservative white cis male ego.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4  SteevieGee    3 years ago

As long as you have the baby.  No one cares about it at all but YOU MUST STILL HAVE THE BABY.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5  Snuffy    3 years ago

I have no problem with him taking the paternity leave at all. He has a new baby to bond with,  and I believe a child will grow up better adjusted and stronger for the early bonds formed with parents.

Where I do have a problem is that it appears, at least for what came out in main-stream media, is that nobody was set up to take charge while he was out of office. A huge transportation cluster-fuck and it appeared as if nobody in that department was doing anything to help resolve the issue.  The optics for this are just bad.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @5    3 years ago
A huge transportation cluster-fuck

Please enlighten the class and illuminate what your talking about here?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  evilone @5.1    3 years ago

I don't even know how to answer this.  The shipping backlog has been all over the news so unless you have been spending a lot of time in a cave (and as you post here I can say that you do not) then you are just arguing to try to make a point.  So rather than waste time trying to make a point why don't you just come out with it. The clusterfuck that is the Port of LA (as well as the other seaports) fall under the Department of Transportation.  Truckers fall under that department also. Store shelves are bare as continued reporting shows all around the country. We hear from all corners about shortages, about how Christmas shopping is going to be tough.  Inflation is raising faster than in the past how many years,  in part due to demand outpacing supply because they cannot get the stuff shipped from overseas to store shelves fast enough.  If you can't see how that system is just a huge clusterfuck then I don't know how to help you understand.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.2  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @5.1.1    3 years ago
The shipping backlog has been all over the news

And is not under the purview of the DoT. This is a failing of capitalism under a unprecedented global pandemic. There isn't a goddamed thing the US DoT can do to fix it. I don't' think they can even relax rules like trucker's driving time short of the President declaring an emergency or months of pushing paper around.

The clusterfuck that is the Port of LA (as well as the other seaports) fall under the Department of Transportation.  Truckers fall under that department also.

What part would that be? Please be specific. The DoT can't shit more people, more trucks, more warehouse space or more rail cars. All they can do is have more meetings and press events. 

If you can't see how that system is just a huge clusterfuck then I don't know how to help you understand.

Oh, there's a clusterfuck all right, but sticking the government in there is only going to muck it up worse. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  evilone @5.1.2    3 years ago
The DoT can't shit more people, more trucks, more warehouse space or more rail cars. All they can do is have more meetings and press events. 

Indeed. There is simply too much incoming volume for ports to handle at once. That's not the fault of the DoT.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @5.1.2    3 years ago

And is not under the purview of the Dot

So Biden is a fool for putting buttegig on his  supply chain disruption task force because he transportation has nothing to do the supply chain.

Stupid Biden, eh?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.4    3 years ago
So Biden is a fool

Really, enough said.

Well said, I might add.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.6  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.4    3 years ago
So Biden is a fool for putting buttegig on his  supply chain disruption task force because he transportation has nothing to do the supply chain.

They can do shuffle papers, do meetings and hold press events. Pretty much everything else is up to the companies that own the equipment and employ the people. You know that Sean, why be obtuse. Neither you, nor I, want the government dictating how private businesses run their operations. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.7  Ronin2  replied to  evilone @5.1.2    3 years ago
And is not under the purview of the DoT. This is a failing of capitalism under a unprecedented global pandemic.

You do realize that this is world wide right? Europe and China are in the exact same backlog. Not to the extent that we are, yet.

There isn't a goddamed thing the US DoT can do to fix it. I don't' think they can even relax rules like trucker's driving time short of the President declaring an emergency or months of pushing paper around.

Actually the federal government can relax DoT regulations. Just like they negotiated to get the LA ports to run 24/7. In fact they will need to do that because all running the ports will do is increase the amount of containers stacked at them waiting for chassis, and for drivers with HOS to be able to pull them.

What part would that be? Please be specific. The DoT can't shit more people, more trucks, more warehouse space or more rail cars. All they can do is have more meetings and press events. 

No really? Maybe this should have been looked at 20 years ago or so? The vessels are getting bigger holding more containers and the US is importing more goods than ever before; what could go wrong with ports, warehousing, rail system, and trucking that are still operating like it is the late 1990's? The US government has very sharp elbows; they can do what companies cannot- get loading and unloading hours extended where local laws and zoning prohibit it. They can negotiate increased land allocation for extra warehousing near ports. They can get Congress to change the stupid ELOG law so it actually makes sense; and goods can move more freely. Like not counting time where driver is sitting at a shipper or consignee waiting as drive time. Sucking down driver's HOS sitting waiting is the biggest problem carriers have.

You are correct, there is no quick fix. Doing nothing is no longer an option. The bottleneck cannot go on forever; sooner or later it will cause a economic crash that will last far longer than the Housing/Stock Market crash did. 

Oh, there's a clusterfuck all right, but sticking the government in there is only going to muck it up worse. 

Then what good are they? They help cause this mess. Before you say anything I am not blaming Biden; he is just the unfortunate unqualified idiot that help cause this after serving years in Congress; that has to deal with it. 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
5.1.8  al Jizzerror  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.5    3 years ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Snuffy @5    3 years ago
A huge transportation cluster-fuck and it appeared as if nobody

If the head of the Department of Transportation can not work for months off during a transportation crisis and no even notices, then there's really no point in having a Department of Transportation.

Hallux
Masters Principal
5.2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2    3 years ago

It's a wonder to me that private enterprise and the geniuses of capitalism are unable to resolve the shipping of their own goods.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Hallux @5.2.1    3 years ago
It's a wonder to me that private enterprise and the geniuses of capitalism are unable to resolve the shipping of their own goods.

Indeed. The problem is not so much the transportation. While it's an indication of a healthy economy, it's the demand for goods that have bogged the system, as it exceeds our current ability to move them.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.2.3  Ronin2  replied to  Hallux @5.2.1    3 years ago

They have to abide by federal, state, and local governments rules and regulations just like everyone else. The most they can do is negotiate with the governments trying to get get driver HOS regulations relaxed; zoning regulations changed to extend hours of operation; and try to hire enough drivers, workers, and marketers to take care of their individual operations. 

The federal government has far more power than they do. Of course doing little things like a vaccine mandate does them no good helping out their labor shortage. Never ending unemployment, stimulus checks, and a renter moratorium isn't spurring people to get off the couch and get a job either. 

If the federal government isn't going to help; then at least they should get out of the damn way where they are able to. 

Before you say anything I already know not everything I mentioned is handled by the DoT. But they are part of the federal government are they not? Biden has a commission trying to fix the bottleneck in the supply chain; of which Pete is a part of now that is back from paternity leave. Biden should have had someone sitting in for Pete while he was out.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
5.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Snuffy @5    3 years ago

You do realize that the DOT has hundreds of employees right?  I'm sure he's handling it even though you won't be satisfied until he unloads the ships himself.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

They have twins, a boy and a girl.  What I will question is the lack of a female mother as a role model for the girl.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     3 years ago

Tucker Carlson is just too funny, a professional weenie for sure. 

Fox News host Tucker Carlson dismissed the importance of paternity leave while taking an anti-gay swing at Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg on Thursday. But in corporate materials his employer touts its parental leave policy, which his male Fox colleagues have praised for allowing them to take time off to care for their spouses and infants.

“We believe offering our employees the tools necessary for a healthy work-life balance empowers them to thrive in our modern workforce,” Fox parent company Fox Corporation’s 2021 report to shareholders   states . “Our parental leave policy allows eligible new parents to bond with their children for a substantial period with full pay.” Similar language appears in the Fox Corporation 2020 Corporate Social Responsibility   report

Fox’s policy reportedly includes   six weeks   of paternity leave, which Carlson’s colleagues apparently appreciate. 

Fox & Friends First   co-host Todd Piro also took six weeks of paternity leave this year following the birth of his daughter. “They give us six weeks as dads for paternity and I'm taking that six weeks,” Piro   told his viewers   in March. “I can't wait to bond with my little one.”

When Piro returned from leave, he wrote an essay about the experience for the opinion section of Fox’s website touting how Fox’s policy had allowed him to bond with his child. 

“I cannot thank Fox enough for providing all fathers who work here with such a generous paternity leave,” he   wrote . “This experience has changed me in a profound way and in ways I won’t fully comprehend until my daughter is older. But for now – that smile coming from the crib each morning, immediately followed by morning snuggles – is what I will cherish the most. There is nothing better.”

Fox host Jesse Watters also   raved   about the policy during an April appearance on   The Five   after returning from a hiatus following the birth of his third child. “Now I am pro-paternity,” he said. “I used to mock people for taking paternity, I used to think it was a big ruse.”

Perhaps one of our experts on international transportation can explain how Pete and the DOT can  chage/fix/control any of what is happening currently. First, define the role of the DOT and while you're at it define the role of the FMC in international transportation. BTW international transportation doesn't end when the container is discharged from the ship, if it's on a through B/L it ain't over till it's over. 

CB
Professor Principal
7.1  CB  replied to  Kavika @7    3 years ago

Tucker Carlson is a serial predator. Some conservative anchors sit around on their stupid butts dreaming this patty up between themselves and their staffs of how they are going to say 'dick-ish' patty to liberals and hide their intent in the process. So they put a false layer of 'concern' for a hot issue on top as a 'cap.'

That ugly baffoon wanted to offend the 'homo' on national television and couldn't resist the urge to take something so precious and 'clarifying' for Buttigieg and his husband and try to spit on it in the 'eyes' of the public.

Yes, Tucker, you cycloptic monkey, your little dig may have hurt Pete in his heart, but it's okay: Pete will live on. . . he has no choice. He has twins to raise and be available to 'for life'!

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9  al Jizzerror    3 years ago

Tucker Carlson nursed his children using the "Mr. Natural method".

[deleted]

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9.1  al Jizzerror  replied to  al Jizzerror @9    3 years ago
[deleted]

I guess humor is not valued on NewStalkers.

I may have made a mistake by returning here.

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.1  CB  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.1    3 years ago

I consider you a good friend! (Smile.)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.1    3 years ago

Not to worry, Al. Not all of us here on NT lack a sense of humor. Most of us here enjoy a good laugh. Right now a good many are busy engaging the right-wingers on the FP. for reasons I have no Idea. 

You have indeed made the right choice coming back to NT, as your sense of humor and great artwork are a joy for so many of us which I love, and you have been sorely missed while you were gone.

So please, don't take it to heart, many of us have to deal with the same deletions and Tickets for our various comments, so you are in good company. (grin)

Humor is indeed valued here on NT by the majority, especially, when it really lifts the Spirits. So please keep hanging out with your Friends here on NT, and never lose your sense of humor. And know that you are also valued as as one of us. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif  

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9.1.3  al Jizzerror  replied to  Raven Wing @9.1.2    3 years ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

shona1
PhD Quiet
9.1.4  shona1  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.1.3    3 years ago

Evening Al...nah never lose your sense of humour...once you do that you are stuffed..

It all makes the world go around..crickey we have discussed everything from nuclear submarines, sheep drench for the virus, didgeridoos, to chucking a wobbly..I just have to remember at times to decipher it for you mob.

Don't think I have had any deletions yet, but hey there is hope yet..🐨🐨🐨

Hallux
Masters Principal
9.1.5  seeder  Hallux  replied to  al Jizzerror @9.1    3 years ago
I guess humor is not valued on NewStalkers.

It is on my seeds and I object to 'moderators' coming into them to trample on it.