╌>

Oxford High shooting suspect's mom once wrote an open letter to Trump praising his defense of gun rights

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  119 comments

Oxford High shooting suspect's mom once wrote an open letter to Trump praising his defense of gun rights
Authorities said Crumbley's 15-year-old son, Ethan, opened fire with a 9mm Sig Sauer SP 2022 pistol that his dad bought on Black Friday. Four students died in the attack and several others were wounded, authorities said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

www.msn.com   /en-us/news/other/oxford-high-shooting-suspect-s-mom-once-wrote-an-open-letter-to-trump-praising-his-defense-of-gun-rights/ar-AARoMb2

2-3 minutes   Invalid Date

• The mother of the the Oxford High school shooting suspect once praised Trump's gun stance.
  • Jennifer Crumbley wrote a blog after the 2016 election thanking Trump for protecting gun rights.
  • Prosecutors said they're considering charging the parents of the 15-year-old shooting suspect.

T he mother of the Oxford High School shooting suspect once wrote an open letter to former President Donald Trump praising his defense of gun rights. 

Jennifer Crumbley, 43,   published a blog   on WordPress shortly after the 2016 election, addressing Trump and explaining why she voted for him. 

As part of the blog, she thanked him "for respecting [the Second] Amendment," and allowing her the "right to bear arms."

She also thanked him for "Allowing me to be protected if I show a home to someone with bad intentions," referencing her then-job as a realtor.

Authorities said Crumbley's 15-year-old son, Ethan, opened fire with a 9mm Sig Sauer SP 2022 pistol that   his dad bought on Black Friday .   Four students died in the attack   and several others were wounded, authorities said.

Ethan now faces homicide and terrorism charges and will be charged as an adult.

Prosecutors are currently  weighing whether to charge   the teen's parents in the shooting.

In the aftermath of the shooting, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said gun violence is a "public health crisis" and that "no one should be afraid to go to school," Insider's Katie Balevic previously   reported

Trump reversed his position on gun control before running for office in 2016.

Since his presidential win, he has repeatedly sided with gun owners, and most recently   celebrated the acquittal of Kyle Rittenhouse , the 18-year-old who fatally shot two men and injured a third during a protest following the August 2020 police shooting of Jacob Blake in Kenosha, Wisconsin. 

Read the original article on   Insider

Microsoft may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

So the kid access to his fathers gun that he had bought 3 days before the school shooting. 

No parent of the year material here. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago
No parent of the year material here. 

You see you nailed it there.   The topic of your seed?  

Not so much.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

The new details paint a much worse picture for the parents, and now they are facing 15 years in prison. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Ender  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.2    3 years ago

Good. I hope the assholes do time and their freak of a son never gets out of prison.

Looking at his picture he looks like a fucking freak without a leash.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Ender @1.2.1    3 years ago

I'm waiting for the not guilty/self defense plea.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.2.2    3 years ago

From what I've been reading down thread this kid is probably going to do a mental defect defense

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.4  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.3    3 years ago

go figure. his parents are on the run now.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.2.4    3 years ago

Nice parents. Their boy is in jail and they ran.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  devangelical @1.2.4    3 years ago

Whelp, that tells me the investigators are going to find even more than what they already have on the parents. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Ender  replied to  devangelical @1.2.4    3 years ago

I need to start scrolling up. I missed this...Haha

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2.8  bbl-1  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.3    3 years ago

.+The 'mental defect' defense may have it's merit.  Especially if the 'kid's' parents were ( all in MAGAS ).

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

But what did his grandmother think about the flat tax?

This is rapidly approaching Keith Olbermann territory. Going to blame Barstool Sports next?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    3 years ago

lol

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    3 years ago

[removed]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    3 years ago

[removed]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    3 years ago

Your comments get more ridiculous by the day. 

How did this 15 year old kid end up with this gun? Bought three days before the killings. There is a video of him showing off "his" new gun , filmed a day or two before the shootings.  How did he get this gun? Did his father buy it for him? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    3 years ago

The kid took the gun. The parents should have it locked up securely or taken the firing pin out.

What his mother wrote in support of the Second Amendment doesn't matter one bit.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    3 years ago

The little republican in training had some shit posted on a social network or something what he was planing

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.2    3 years ago
The little republican in training

Do you have a shred of evidence, anything, anything at all, to support such a bizarre statement?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.2    3 years ago

My mistake, the young republican in training had a video of what he planned to do.

I guess the qop will try to recruit him when he's old enough.

Already has a mass murder on his resume

His scumag parents are also trumpturd supporters.

It states in the article that he posted a video of what he was planning.

Don't know why the facts are being disputed by some of the members in my fan club

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.4    3 years ago

So not a single shred of any credible evidence AT ALL, just your musings about what MAY or MAY NOT happen in the future, which makes the claim all the more idiotic.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.4    3 years ago

Actually I was correct, the fine little republican did post on social media that he had access to daddy scumbags gun

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.6    3 years ago

How many times and in which elections has he voted? Is he registered as a Republican? Surely you can prove your crazy claim, right?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2.8  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    3 years ago

His mom also called it his new Christmas present, they bought it for him. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Ender  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.2.8    3 years ago

He went with his Dad when they bought it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.2.8    3 years ago

oh wow

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2.11  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.2    3 years ago
The little republican in training

"You see Mr. Trump, I need you to stop Common Core,' Jennifer Crumbley wrote, noting: 'My son struggles daily and my teachers tell me they hate teaching it but the[y] have to. Their pay depends on these stupid f***ing test scores.

'I have to pay for a tutor, why?' she continued, ' because I can't figure out fourth-grade math'.

'I used to be good at math,' Jennifer noted, adding that she cannot afford a tutor for her son and 'in fact, I sacrifice car insurance to make sure my son gets a good education and hopefully succeeds in life .' (He's likely going to suck some seed in prison alright...)

At that point, Jennifer started complaining about 'illegal immigrant parents' and their children at a school where her mom teaches.

'Most of their parents are locked up,' Jennifer wrote. 'They don't care about learning and threaten to kill my mom for caring about their grades.'

'Do you realize Mr. Trump that they get free tutors, free tablets from our government so they can succeed?' she continued. 'Why can't my son get those things, do we as hard-working Americans not deserve that too.'

She concluded her rambling letter by saying: 'Mr. Trump this is why I voted for you.

'I see the change that we so desperately need. I see jobs coming back, people having to work for their handouts, money going to [those] who really deserve it.

'I believe YOU are the president who will make these things happen.

'I have NEVER had this much belief in one person,' she noted, 'and you are it.'

Jennifer Crumbley signed the long-winded letter "A hardworking Middle Class Law Abiding Citizen who is sick of getting fucked in the ass and would rather be grabbed by the pussy,".

So his mother wasn't really training him to be a 'little republican' but a little Trumpster Dumpster.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2.12  Thrawn 31  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2.11    3 years ago

Satire is fun. I refuse to believe any human is that fucking stupid (despite what my life's experience tells me).

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.2.13  bbl-1  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.2.12    3 years ago

Uh, MAGA World.  Is not satire.  These folk are serious.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.14  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2.11    3 years ago

So his mother wasn't really training him to be a 'little republican' but a little Trumpster Dumpster.

With some exceptions, the two are pretty much the same thing.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.15  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2.14    3 years ago

Better than a boneheaded Bidenite

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.3  Nowhere Man  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    3 years ago
Going to blame Barstool Sports next?

Probably, or AAA {chuckle}

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.4  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    3 years ago

Spot on.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

So it seems that we have a couple of brain-dead parents leaving a handgun where the kid could take it. When the parents were called to school that morning because of his behavior he had the gun in his backpack. He was allowed to return to class and then the shooting book place according to the DA. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

Are they going to charge him as an adult? I sure hope so. And mom and dad should be charged, too

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    3 years ago

I believe it was already stated that they were charging him as an adult as the law did allow for that based on the type of crime.  As for charging his parents, I think there's still a lot of investigation required as that's a very steep hill to climb. My guess is that the parents will not be charged.  Doesn't mean there won't be other ramifications, they will have to spend the rest of their lives as the parents of a mass murderer.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    3 years ago
Are they going to charge him as an adult?

Last i heard, yes.

Poor kid, with parents like that he probably never had a chance.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    3 years ago

According to my local news, they are charging him as an adult. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    3 years ago

Mommy and daddy are being charged now.  A fine family of trumpturd supporters

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    3 years ago

I just saw. They're being charged with involuntary manslaughter

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    3 years ago

4 counts each of manslaughter....GOOD!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.6    3 years ago

Hopefully the who!e damn family will be behind bars for a long time

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Kavika   replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.3    3 years ago

Here is a lot of information on why they are being charged in this link. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.9  Snuffy  replied to  Kavika @3.1.8    3 years ago

Hardly parents of the year. Reading that link it seems to me that they knew their son had issues but just didn't seem to do anything about the issues or try to get him help. The line about they resisted taking him out of school, seems reminiscent of parents who refuse to acknowledge their childs actions and always blames the teacher or the school or anything else.  Not sure about the line where they didn't take the gun away from him, ask him if he had the gun or even checked his backpack. If they didn't know the gun was missing and they continue to turn a blind eye to the problems with their son why would they think to check a backpack.  Even the social media post where he bragged about a new gun is not by itself a red flag to me.  I was 15 when my father bought me my first shot gun.  

These parents do seem to be purposefully oblivious to any problems their son may have been having. The court case will be interesting to watch but I think it's a very hard uphill climb for a conviction. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.10  Thrawn 31  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.9    3 years ago
Reading that link it seems to me that they knew their son had issues but just didn't seem to do anything about the issues or try to get him help.

Not only did they show no interest in getting him help, they actually bought him the gun 4 days beforehand. They bought a kid they knew was mentally disturbed a firearm he was too young to have. 

If they didn't know the gun was missing and they continue to turn a blind eye to the problems with their son why would they think to check a backpack.

If the school admins showed me the pictures my kid had drawn that morning and I knew I had just bought them a gun a few days prior, you damn well better believe the first fucking thing I would be asking is "where is the gun?" I mean that is like me (getting sworn next Thursday, woohoo!) looking at someone who is shit faced stumbling up to a car keys in hand and saying "well, that all looks fine." IMO there is absolutely no excuse for the parents here. 

Even the social media post where he bragged about a new gun is not by itself a red flag to me.  I was 15 when my father bought me my first shot gun. 

Did you have mental health issues that your parents were aware of? And he was underage regardless.

The court case will be interesting to watch but I think it's a very hard uphill climb for a conviction. 

Honestly, with the new info coming out, the social media posts, text messages, alerts from the school etc. a conviction seems pretty easy to me. The parents behavior is beyond negligent, it is so bad that they essentially enabled this tragedy. Firearms owners NEED to be responsible for their weapons, I am sick of this shit where the owners of these weapons never face any penalties no matter how careless they were. When I come home my weapon goes in the gun safe, period. My kids do not and will not know the combination to that safe, period. Be a fucking responsible owner or face the consequences IMO.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Ender  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.10    3 years ago

I just read where they caught the kid at school looking up ammunition on line.

His mother responded that he just shouldn't get caught and laughed.

The parents are morons and I hope they live the rest of their lives being reminded of all of this.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.12  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ender @3.1.11    3 years ago

Like I said, the more details that come out, the more liable the parents look.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Kavika   replied to  Snuffy @3.1.9    3 years ago

It seems to me that they did a lot more than turn a blind eye to the problems right in front of their face. 

They bought a 15 year old a 9mm Sig and then the father said he kept it in his bedstand, unlocked.

When the mother heard there was a shooting at the school she texted the kid saying '' Ethan, don't do it''....

It wasn't a rifle they bought him Snuffy, it was a handgun and that is all kinds of red flags for me. I had a rifle at 15 as well but it was for hunting and if I ever did anything out of line concerning safe handling etc my father would have beat my ass from there to Mars and back and the weapon would have been gone for good. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Ender  replied to  Kavika @3.1.13    3 years ago

Same in our family. The Niece and Nephew each had a rifle for hunting.

They never would have gotten a pistol.

The Nieces was covered in purple camo....

And like you said, if they ever did anything wrong or mishandled them, they would have been taken away.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Ender  replied to  Ender @3.1.14    3 years ago

Come to think of it, my Nephew did something wrong one time and BIL threatened to sell his rifle. That upset him and he corrected course...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.16  Thrawn 31  replied to  Kavika @3.1.13    3 years ago
When the mother heard there was a shooting at the school she texted the kid saying ''don't do it''....

And that to me is particularly damning. That tells me that she was well-aware that her son had some real issues, well-aware of the fact that he was thinking about shit like that, and still thought it was a good idea to get him a handgun and keep it unsecured. This wasn't something that just took them by surprise, they saw the signs and chose not only to ignore them but to probably do the worst thing they possibly could. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.17  Snuffy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.10    3 years ago
Honestly, with the new info coming out, the social media posts, text messages, alerts from the school etc. a conviction seems pretty easy to me. The parents behavior is beyond negligent, it is so bad that they essentially enabled this tragedy. Firearms owners NEED to be responsible for their weapons, I am sick of this shit where the owners of these weapons never face any penalties no matter how careless they were. When I come home my weapon goes in the gun safe, period. My kids do not and will not know the combination to that safe, period. Be a fucking responsible owner or face the consequences IMO.

I agree that the parents are negligent, the question the courts will have to answer is did it reach the level of manslaughter.  I still feel that will be hard to prove. So far we have a lot of circumstances where it's much easier to look after the fact and see the tie-in but proving that the parents could have / should have seen these issues before hand will be hard. Not impossible but difficult. Kind of like proving intent I think.

Now it doesn't help them at all that they are currently "on the run" and there is a state-wide manhunt for them.  They could be simply running out of fear but anyway you look at it, this action is gonna hurt them. 

Gun safes are a good thing and I agree that everybody should have them and use them, but it's not required under law.  But growing up when I did, we had guns in a gun cabinet and they were not locked up. I (and my brother and sisters) were taught from an early age that guns are not toys and we knew not to even attempt to go in to the cabinet without permission. Different times and my brother & sisters and myself did not have any serious mental issues that would be a red flag.  It's obvious, especially after the fact, that this child had serious issues and his parents deliberately ignored (or turned that blind eye to) those issues. 

It's obvious after the fact that this child had mental issues and guns are really the last items that should have been in that  house.  IMO these parents will face the consequences for the rest of their lives that they failed their son and he murdered four children.  I don't know if they will have to deal with any legal consequences, I still think that will be a harder conviction to garner.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Ender  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.17    3 years ago
currently "on the run"

Really? I missed this latest tidbit.

They really are morons.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.19  Thrawn 31  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.17    3 years ago
I still feel that will be hard to prove.

Depends on what else investigators find. It is pretty clear to me, when you know your kid has mental health issues, you do not give them a firearm under any circumstances. There are no if ands or buts. They did. 

So far we have a lot of circumstances where it's much easier to look after the fact and see the tie-in but proving that the parents could have / should have seen these issues before hand will be hard. Not impossible but difficult.

Not really. They saw the pictures he drew that morning and did nothing, didn't even alert school officials that he may have a weapon. You will have an extremely hard time convincing a jury that someone could look at those drawings that the parents were shown and not think anything is wrong. Plus the fact that his mother texted him after she heard there was an active shooter and said "Ethan, don't do it." Not "Ethan, my god are you okay?!" or anything like that, she KNEW as soon as she heard there was an active shooter that it was him. The parents damn well knew he had some serious problems based on what little we have seen so far. That will be a piece of cake for even a newbie prosecutor to convince a jury of.

Now it doesn't help them at all that they are currently "on the run" and there is a state-wide manhunt for them.  They could be simply running out of fear but anyway you look at it, this action is gonna hurt them. 

Honestly, I have never heard of the parents of a mass shooter running before. Has anyone here? that is a new one for me, and yeah, they are fucking themselves big time by doing so. The obvious conclusion is they think or know this is going to get worse for them as investigators start tearing their lives apart. 

Gun safes are a good thing and I agree that everybody should have them and use them, but it's not required under law. 

It really needs to be. IMO whenever something happens with your firearm, especially involving a child, as the owner you are responsible. But the gun safe isn't the point, it is the negligence that is. Mental health issues aside, they bought him a handgun when he was underage. 

IMO these parents will face the consequences for the rest of their lives that they failed their son and he murdered four children.  I don't know if they will have to deal with any legal consequences, I still think that will be a harder conviction to garner.

I sincerely hope they do time, but even if they get off scott free criminally (as happens all too often in this country when it comes to firearms deaths) they are going to be destroyed in civil court. Even if they avoid jail they will forever be financially ruined. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.20  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.19    3 years ago

I'd like to hear about the parents social media. I wouldnt be surprised if they are mildly anti-government. Or worse. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.1.21  1stwarrior  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.17    3 years ago

Parents of Michigan school shooting suspect charged

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.1.22  Nowhere Man  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.10    3 years ago

100% agreement... You don't buy kids handguns, period!

A small caliber rifle ok as long as you keep the ammo until it's time to shoot or they demonstrate competence and the required level of responsibility of which I am the judge...

The parents are directly responsible here, at the minimum negligent manslaughter... They put the gun in his hand... no excuse... The text afterwards shows culpability... Running only confirms that knowledge of culpability....

Absolute slam dunk for a conviction....

And it should be a wake up call for all parents who own guns, THEY ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE for what their juvenile does with that weapon!!!! You have kids in the house, lock up the guns...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.23  Thrawn 31  replied to  Nowhere Man @3.1.22    3 years ago

Nothing to add, you nailed it. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.24  Sparty On  replied to  Nowhere Man @3.1.22    3 years ago
You have kids in the house, lock up the guns...

That is just common sense for all my family and friends

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.25  bbl-1  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.20    3 years ago

Me too.  If they're all in MAGA the media will hide most of it.  Nobody wants to upset Putin I guess.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.26  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.16    3 years ago

The thing that is really damning is the text from mom after he got caught looking up ammo.  She told him she was not mad at him but to be more careful and not get caught.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2  Ender  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

I am guessing the school will now get metal detectors.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @3.2    3 years ago

They're talking about that here in our school system 17 guns among other weapons confiscated in different schools in the system. Couple of the school had more than one instance. Now, they have to shut a school down almost every day cuz of fights...........well brawls really.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.1    3 years ago

That is a lot of guns...I am guessing that is just what they find.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @3.2.2    3 years ago

Yes you are probably right. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @3.2    3 years ago

They won't be able to afford them after all of the lawsuits filed by the 4 families and the injured survivors.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

As more details have come out the parents behavior is so much worse than just leaving an unsecured firearm around. So bad in fact they are both facing up to 15 years in prison.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Kavika   replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.3    3 years ago

Not only an unsecured handgun but here two text's to him, one saying I'm not mad don't get caught, when he was looking for ammo on his phone and the other when his mom texted him when the shooting was reported and said, ''Ethan, don't do it''.

They are toast and should be.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @3.3.1    3 years ago

Don't do what? Kill himself?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.3.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Kavika @3.3.1    3 years ago

The second text tells me she knew he had issues, but not only chose to ignore them but to arm him as well. I mean they showed them those drawings that same morning, and apparently aside from refusing to take their son home, neither one of them thought "huh, well that is a bit disturbing, clearly our son has some serious problems, maybe we should take that gun from him until we can get him some help." 

Instead their response was "eh, fuck it, it'll all work itself out." 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.3.4  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @3.3.2    3 years ago

I'm guessing either, don't kill yourself or don't kill others. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.3.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.3.2    3 years ago

I don't want him to kill himself.  I want him on the Bubba dinner menu in prison.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.3.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.3.5    3 years ago

I'll say it, fuck him. Wait, I think we agreed. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.3.7  bbl-1  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.3    3 years ago

'Parents behavior?'  Sounds like Poster People for mandatory birth control.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.3.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.3.3    3 years ago

The school messed up by not examining his backpack before releasing him back to class.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.3.9  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bbl-1 @3.3.7    3 years ago

He is the poster child for retroactive abortion.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    3 years ago

Oh how the times have changed.  

Changed from the times we regularly brought our guns to school if we where going hunting after class

No one batted an eye ..... it was 100% acceptable and no one got shot.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @4    3 years ago

I remember those days....we're dinosaurs

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1    3 years ago

I don't. No one ever brought guns to any of my schools.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    3 years ago

Really? Deer hunting was a big thing where I grew up in PA. Some would actually get in the woods before school but mostly after school. It was such a big deal that we always got the Monday after Thanksgiving for first day of deer season

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.2    3 years ago

I know people liked hunting but I don't think people got out of school because of it.

I went to school in Maryland.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @4.1.3    3 years ago

That surprises me. Maryland is mostly rural especially western Maryland.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.4    3 years ago

People could have taken off, I don't remember everyone. I just remember no guns were in the school. Of course I was getting stoned at our smoking lounge.

Yes, we had a student smoking lounge. Haha

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @4.1.5    3 years ago
we had a student smoking lounge. Haha

Now THAT we didn't have

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.6    3 years ago

We went back stage in the auditorium LOL

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.8  devangelical  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    3 years ago

if you drove a truck, a rifle rack was a status symbol at my high school.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @4.1.8    3 years ago

same at my school

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.7    3 years ago

It was the bathrooms in my school

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.11  devangelical  replied to  Ender @4.1.5    3 years ago
Of course I was getting stoned at our smoking lounge. Yes, we had a student smoking lounge. Haha

it was the student parking lot at my high school.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Ender  replied to  devangelical @4.1.11    3 years ago

Our school was weird. The cafeteria was like three tiered. At the bottom tier was backdoors that led outside towards the football field. Right outside the doors was a large concrete patio. That was our smoking lounge.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.4    3 years ago
Maryland is mostly rural

I was Carroll County.

Our elementary was called a school in the round. It was weird too. Four classrooms around an open middle area, where we all gathered.

We had like a closed circuit tv system set up and every morning there would be announcements on the tv. Me and a friend of mine always put on a puppet show, little variety show everyday.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.14  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.2    3 years ago

The Army actually put me TDY (temp duty) to one of our outlying posts to run the lab so that the tech could take a week's leave to go deer hunting.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.15  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    3 years ago

Only one time do I recall a gun being brought to any of my schools.  It was an antique blunder bust for show and tell.  It was handled every moment by his father who accompanied the student to ensure safe handling.

charger 383
Professor Silent
4.2  charger 383  replied to  Sparty On @4    3 years ago

and hunter safety classes in phys ed and excused from school on first day of hunting season

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  charger 383 @4.2    3 years ago

..... Yep, we called opening day of rifle Deer season St Venison day

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.1    3 years ago

We always were "sick" on opening day LOL

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.2.2    3 years ago

It was an option attendance day for us .... off course i figured i had a lot more of those than the school did .....

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
4.2.4  JaneDoe  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.2.2    3 years ago

Back home they started just giving the kids the day off because hardly anyone showed up.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.2.5  Sunshine  replied to  JaneDoe @4.2.4    3 years ago

Everyone became a deer hunter on opening day...lol

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
4.2.6  JaneDoe  replied to  Sunshine @4.2.5    3 years ago

Yep, my brothers hunted and never went to school on opening day. So it was only fair that I got to stay home too, or at least that’s was my opinion. jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.2.2    3 years ago

The day off from school for opening day must have been a Yankee thing

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.7    3 years ago

Pretty much although I work in South Carolina and the owner here is a freak when it comes to opening day. Bow and gun season.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5  Sunshine    3 years ago

There have been 58 copy cat threats since the Oxford shooting, including my grandson's middle school.  Large police presence at his school yesterday and today.  My daughter didn't let him go because she didn't want him to see it. 

When I was in school we never had shooting threats or bomb threats. Only problem we had was some weed being sold and it was usually ignored by the teachers.  My kids had a few bomb threats during their high school years but never any threats of a shooting.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
5.1  JaneDoe  replied to  Sunshine @5    3 years ago

Same thing where my son teaches. There was an emergency meeting yesterday.  He said there was hardly anyone in the building today. He only had about a third of his students show up. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  JaneDoe @5.1    3 years ago

I feel for the teachers who have to go to work.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
5.1.2  JaneDoe  replied to  Sunshine @5.1.1    3 years ago

I know me too. I was worried about him all day. The after school phone call today was a relief!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

She is also now facing 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter and 15 years in prison as is her husband.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6    3 years ago

Each count should be served consecutively with each count getting the max time without the possibility of parole.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I heard yesterday that there have been 32 school shootings in America in the past 3 months. That means there should be another 8 or so before Christmas. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @7    3 years ago

Merica!

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     3 years ago

They were captured and the judge set their bail at $500,000 each. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8.1  Snuffy  replied to  Kavika @8    3 years ago

That sounds about right considering they (poorly and stupidly) tried to run.  I don't buy the line from their lawyer about how they were trying to turn themselves in, I think that's just the lawyer doing what he's paid to do.  But I still think a conviction is going to be a very tough up-hill climb. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Snuffy @8.1    3 years ago

I agree that their running did them a lot of damage and the lawyer is doing what their lawyer is paid to do, cover their asses. 

I feel that it is going to be tough to get a conviction but listening to a couple of lawyers on the subject they also said that it would be tough but that the charges were good and they were backed up by their actions. If nothing else it is sending a very loud message to parents and others that you bear responsibility for what you kids do with firearms. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Kavika @8.1.1    3 years ago
If nothing else it is sending a very loud message to parents and others

And I really hope that people start to listen and think about their responsibilities.  There are too many stories about stupid people who leave loaded guns lying around and small children picking them up to a terrible ending. And in this case, there are too many people who should be getting help but the system is not set up to provide the help they need and too many parents ignore any idea that their child may have mental issues.  

It didn't seem like 50 years ago we had so many people who had mental issues and just didn't know right from wrong, or had no control, or what ever you want to call it. So many of them pick up guns because they don't seem to have any morals or restraint. I do wish that root causes could be brought up and talked about because IMO the issue is so much more than just guns. Unfortunately when these things happen the first action that people turn to is gun control, but all the ideas that have been talked about for years won't do anything to fix this issue. Without knowing the why we can never fix the issue. And IMO the only way gun control will make any difference in this is to ban ALL guns and then go door to door to forcibly remove all guns, and it's easy to see how that would work out (hint, it wouldn't).

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Snuffy @8.1.2    3 years ago

The lack of mental health facilities in the US is a major problem, not just for the gun debate but for many other problems. We, as the richest nations on earth, are really lacking in many departments, mental health availability being one.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @8.1.3    3 years ago

And exacerbating that problem is the fact that there are many who cannot afford health care - after all the USA doesn't exactly have universal free health care like Canada and other civilized western nations, but people can afford to buy a gun and ammo, and they will even if it takes their last penny.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @8    3 years ago

I am surprised they got bail at all.  They have proven they are flight risks.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Has anyone noticed that the "happiness is a warm gun-lovers" don't give a shit about the kids who were killed, because the Rittenhouse case proves that you can get away with killing innocent people with a gun.  The gun lovers will NEVER say that maybe guns are not so important a possession, because after all, America has THE SECOND AMENDMENT, so zieg heil gun lovers, gun owners uber alles. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1  devangelical  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    3 years ago

of course not, the killer's mommy and daddy were trumpsters.