Florida team hauls in 18-foot, 215-pound Burmese python

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  magicschoolbusdropout  •  6 days ago  •  19 comments

By:   Associated Press

Florida team hauls in 18-foot, 215-pound Burmese python
A team of biologists recently hauled in the heaviest Burmese python ever captured in Florida

Invasive Species are just GREEEEEEAAAAAT !

Blah !

I hate snakes.....especially BIG Snakes !

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A team of biologists recently hauled in the heaviest Burmese python ever captured in Florida, officials said.

The female python weighed in at 215 pounds (98 kilograms), was nearly 18 feet long (5 meters) and had 122 developing eggs, the Conservancy of Southwest Florida said in a news release.

The team used radio transmitters transplanted in male “scout” snakes to study python movements, breeding behaviors and habitat use, said Ian Bartoszek, wildlife biologist and environmental science project manager for the conservancy’s program.

“How do you find the needle in the haystack? You could use a magnet, and in a similar way our male scout snakes are attracted to the biggest females around,” Bartoszek said.

The team used a scout snake named Dionysus — or Dion for short — in an area of the western Everglades.

“We knew he was there for a reason, and the team found him with the largest female we have seen to date.”

Biologist Ian Easterling and intern Kyle Findley helped capture the female snake and haul it through the woods to the field truck.

A necropsy also found hoof cores in the snake’s digest system, meaning that an adult white-tailed deer was its last meal.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

magicschoolbusdropout
Freshman Expert
1  seeder  magicschoolbusdropout    6 days ago

I love how they report that the snake was "Harvested" !

WTF ?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  magicschoolbusdropout @1    6 days ago

Snake supposedly tastes like chicken. Maybe they plan on giving the meat to the homeless shelters?

magicschoolbusdropout
Freshman Expert
1.1.1  seeder  magicschoolbusdropout  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    6 days ago
Snake supposedly tastes like chicken

I suppose.....brrrrrrrrrrrr.

Maybe they plan on giving the meat to the homeless shelters?

Are they prepared for long lines if they do ? snicker

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Principal
1.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    6 days ago
Snake supposedly tastes like chicken.

I think that it's a bit gamey, more like alligator.  One that big is very old and the meat is likely very chewy, the cook needs to be careful not to overcook it or it will be tough and stringy. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
2  JaneDoe    6 days ago

That’s a huge snake. I almost stepped on this fellow the other day.

magicschoolbusdropout
Freshman Expert
2.1  seeder  magicschoolbusdropout  replied to  JaneDoe @2    6 days ago

I woulda screamed ! LOL !

We have a few Black Racers that show up in our back yard. Those things are "Quick".

Watched one one day go back and forth in my yard (musta been hunting). He'd rear his head up, scope out the yard, and within a blink of an eye, he'd be on the other side of the yard.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
2.1.1  JaneDoe  replied to  magicschoolbusdropout @2.1    6 days ago

We have those too. I sprayed one in the face with hornet spray. It only pissed him off.

The one on my front stoop is a coral snake. Poisonous little sucker took the welcome mat to mean it included him. It didn’t!! 

magicschoolbusdropout
Freshman Expert
2.1.2  seeder  magicschoolbusdropout  replied to  JaneDoe @2.1.1    6 days ago
Poisonous little sucker took the welcome mat to mean it included him. It didn’t!! 

LOL !

Could you imagine finding that invasive MONSTER in your backyard ? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
2.1.3  JaneDoe  replied to  magicschoolbusdropout @2.1.2    6 days ago

Heck no. Me and my hornet spray would be no match for that. He’d have me for lunch. I would definitely have to call the snake busters!

magicschoolbusdropout
Freshman Expert
2.1.4  seeder  magicschoolbusdropout  replied to  JaneDoe @2.1.3    6 days ago

Hahahahahaha !

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Kavika   replied to  JaneDoe @2.1.1    5 days ago

Yes, that is an eastern coral snake and quite venomous.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
2.1.6  JaneDoe  replied to  Kavika @2.1.5    5 days ago

I never knew about them until I moved here. Back in Pa you hardly ever seen a poisonous snake. Now I have a snakes of Florida guide so I know which ones to flee from. 
The king snake looks very similar and isn’t venomous. I have to remember, if red touches black, you’re ok jack, if red touches yellow you’re  a dead fellow.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JaneDoe @2    5 days ago

That looks like one big coral snake and highly venemous. Definitely stay away from that critter!

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
2.3.1  JaneDoe  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.3    5 days ago

I definitely gave him his space.

MrFrost
Professor Principal
3  MrFrost    6 days ago

Looks like i'll need a bigger lawn mower.

magicschoolbusdropout
Freshman Expert
3.1  seeder  magicschoolbusdropout  replied to  MrFrost @3    6 days ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 days ago

That was a big one for sure, the Glades are overwhelmed with them and they are destroying the Glades and the native critters. 

We are overwhelmed with non-native species and the harm/destruction that they are doing to the native flora and fauna is pushing many to extinction.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 days ago

We were swimming at St. Pete Beach (Gulf of Mexico) and a manatee was swimming about 30 ft from shore in waist-deep water, it came within a couple of feet of me. Amazing creatures and very gentle. Some of the tourists got out of the water as fast as possible thinking it was a shark. An adult manatee is generally between 9 and 13 feet long and weighs between 1,000 and 3,000 lbs. If you're not used to them they can give you quite the start.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     5 days ago

This video was taken a week ago in Fort Myers and it's a group of sting rays moving along the shoreline. Watch the reaction of some of the people when they finally see them...If you leave them alone they will just swim on by.