Elizabeth Warren wants your credit card company to report you to the government

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  magicschoolbusdropout  •  3 weeks ago  •  11 comments

By:    Brad Polumbo

Elizabeth Warren wants your credit card company to report you to the government
“Banks and credit card companies could help law enforcement preempt some mass shootings by identifying suspicious gun purchases through the implementation of a new MCC,”

"YOU WILL SHOW US YOUR PAPERS" !

Because that’s not fascist at all.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

W hile President Joe Biden is  decrying  “MAGA Republicans” as fascist, members of his own party are actively working to get your credit card company to start tracking you and reporting you to the government. Because that’s not fascist at all.

Democratic lawmakers including Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Dianne Feinstein just sent a  letter  to the CEO of American Express pressuring the company to start monitoring gun purchases. They essentially want the credit card company to create a special category for gun purchases — right now they’re categorized as “miscellaneous retail stores” — and use that information to report people to the police.

“Banks and credit card companies could help law enforcement preempt some mass shootings by identifying suspicious gun purchases through the implementation of a new MCC,” the lawmakers wrote. “MCCs are four-digit codes maintained by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) that classify merchants by their purpose of business.”

As commenters quickly pointed out in response to Warren, this proposed scheme of private financial tracking and collusion with the government sure seems fascist.

This kind of mission creep takes us closer toward an Orwellian, China-esque “Social Credit Score” system, in which privacy is a thing of the past and the government monitors your daily interactions to punish those it dislikes.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

magicschoolbusdropout
Freshman Principal
1  seeder  magicschoolbusdropout    3 weeks ago

Remind me again whom it is that are supposed to be the "Facists" we are supposed to be afraid of again ?

gooseisback
Sophomore Silent
1.1  gooseisback  replied to  magicschoolbusdropout @1    3 weeks ago

It's only "FASCIST" when Republican's do it... silly. 

magicschoolbusdropout
Freshman Principal
1.1.1  seeder  magicschoolbusdropout  replied to  gooseisback @1.1    3 weeks ago
It's only "FASCIST" when Republican's do it... silly. 

That "Freedom" thing really does get under the "Lefts" Skin.

Nerm_L
Professor Principal
2  Nerm_L    3 weeks ago

Credit card companies?  This seems to be a veiled attempt to bring gun sales under the RICO Act.  Now Democrats seem to be trying to go after gun dealers.

Look, gun sales only involves a seller and a buyer.  So, it seems that either the seller or buyer needs to report the sale to ATF.  That wouldn't be much different than a form 1099-NEC.  That's not an unreasonable burden on gun sales.  

The bigger problem is that ATF is being forced to use antiquated methods and systems.  Reforming ATF should be done before Democrats start pushing these looney tunes ideas; even if Democrats are more comfortable with looney tunes ideas.

squiggy
Sophomore Quiet
3  squiggy    3 weeks ago

"...unlawful bulk purchases..."

WTF is that? 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ronin2  replied to  squiggy @3    3 weeks ago

An individual buying two guns more than likely.

Tacos!
Professor Expert
4  Tacos!    3 weeks ago
“Banks and credit card companies could help law enforcement preempt some mass shootings by identifying suspicious gun purchases through the implementation of a new MCC,”

I can practically feel the 4th Amendment dying as I read this madness.

Who the hell is a credit card company to determine when a legal purchase crosses the line into “reasonable suspicion?” Why are my legal purchases any business of the government, anyway? If you want to make it illegal for me to purchase X number of weapons or ammo in a given period, you can do that. Then such a purchase would be illegal - but that doesn’t seem to be the proposal here.

Legal behavior, absent some other factor, is not supposed to give rise to reasonable suspicion, much less probable cause.

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    3 weeks ago

I am as Liberal as it gets but I gotta say this is stupid.

All it would make anyone do is just pay with other means. Take a check Henry? For you Bob, sure.

gooseisback
Sophomore Silent
5.1  gooseisback  replied to  Ender @5    3 weeks ago
All it would make anyone do is just pay with other means.

You are correct, people will just cash their paychecks and pay cash for everything. They better start printing more paper money now. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Ender @5    3 weeks ago

they can still track checks, takes alittle longer but is still doable  , one method thats really hated is the barter system .....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6  Texan1211    3 weeks ago

Warren is a dumbass.

How in the world do citizens in MA keep voting for her?

In Warren's World, we would just be a heartbeat away from reporting obese people for buying chips and cookies.

Or alcoholics when they buy liquor.

And God forbid somebody buys rolling papers in states where weed is illegal still.