The US now has just 25 days of diesel supply — the lowest since 2008. Here's why that's more alarming than a dwindling 'oil piggy bank'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  magicschoolbusdropout  •  one month ago  •  44 comments

By:   Serah Louis

The US now has just 25 days of diesel supply — the lowest since 2008. Here's why that's more alarming than a dwindling 'oil piggy bank'
If diesel inventory continues to run down without the government intervening, the impact on transportation costs for goods could drive inflation up even further.

We are BOOMING in EVERYTHING though !

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

T he U.S. is facing a diesel crunch just as demand is surging ahead of winter — with only 25 days of supply left, according to the Energy Information Administration.

National Economic Council Director Brian Deese told Bloomberg TV that diesel inventories are “unacceptably low” and “all options are on the table” to bolster supply and reduce prices.

However, even as the stockpiles are being drained, the Biden administration seems to be left with very few sustainable options for long-term relief.

Unlike gas and jet fuel, demand for diesel recovered at a much faster pace from the pandemic. Diesel is used for transporting goods as well as powering construction, farming and military vehicles and equipment.

In 2021, the U.S. transportation sector alone consumed 46.82 billion gallons, or 1.11 billion barrels of distillate fuel (essentially diesel fuel) — at an average of about 128 million gallons a day.

With higher demand for this dirty fuel, traders are paying more for prompt deliveries than longer-term ones and they expect prices to drop in the future — a downward market structure known as “backwardation.” This also means it’s more profitable for suppliers to sell now.

The market usually moves into “contango” — the opposite of backwardation, where demand is lower and suppliers build up inventory with the expectation of higher future prices — in the summer. However, strong domestic and international demand, shrinking domestic refining capacity and sanctions on Russian petroleum imports have kept the diesel market tight throughout the year.

What are the government’s options?

Deese adds that the Fed has some tools to bolster diesel supply, like the Northeast Home Heating Oil Reserve, which houses one million barrels of diesel in case of a disruption in supplies.

“We have looked very carefully at being prepared to deploy as and when necessary,” he said.

But The Washington Post reports that diesel demand is so high, that if a million barrels of diesel were delivered from the Northeast reserves, they would be depleted in less than six hours.

The Biden administration also   recently announced   it would be tapping into the country’s emergency oil reserves to counter rising gas prices, despite concerns over the long-term efficacy.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

magicschoolbusdropout
Sophomore Principal
1  seeder  magicschoolbusdropout    one month ago

But The Washington Post reports that diesel demand is so high, that if a million barrels of diesel were delivered from the Northeast reserves, they would be depleted in less than six hours.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  magicschoolbusdropout @1    one month ago

Yes, but that is Putin's fault. The pandemic's fault. Greedy corporations' fault. The fault of OPEC. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    one month ago

We need to pull up to a port in Saudi Arabia with a few American warships and some empty oil tankers.

Fill er up!

املائها (Google translate tells me that’s the Arabic translation)

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tacos! @2    one month ago

What are you going to do when they tell you to go fuck yourself sideways with a pitchfork and turn off the spigots?

Invade them and occupy the oil fields?

You might get Saudi Arabia, Iran, and all of the terrorist factions to stop fighting long enough to turn on the US.

I am sure it will chase OPEC right into the Chinese, Russian, and North Korean arms.

Now I know why the US foreign policy is stuck on stupid. We learned never learn anything. Afghanistan, Iraq, and Vietnam were just wastes of damn time, money, and lives. All easily expendable it seems.

evilgenius
Professor Guide
2.1.1  evilgenius  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    one month ago
Now I know why the US foreign policy is stuck on stupid. We learned never learn anything. Afghanistan, Iraq, and Vietnam were just wastes of damn time, money, and lives. All easily expendable it seems.

Yeah.. when I said the talk about going into Afghanistan was a dumb idea I was told I was siding with terrorists. I was told to shut up when I said 9/11 needed a criminal solution not a military one. I was un-American when I pointed out using the term "terrorist" instead of "criminal" would lead to expansion of federal government power. We won't even go into the Bush propaganda bullshit used to go into "liberating" Iraq that had nothing to do with 9/11 and everything to do with Iran.

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Principal
2.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilgenius @2.1.1    one month ago
Yeah.. when I said the talk about going into Afghanistan was a dumb idea I was told I was siding with terrorists.

The original mission in Afghanistan was to kill/capture as many Al Qaeda as possible and to punish the Taliban for harboring them  Within a year that mission was accomplished with the loss of 37 Americans.  We should have left, mission accomplished, and told  the war lords that if AQ comes back, so will we.  

It went to shit when we tried nation building.  Then in 2008, Obama ran on "wining the right war", the "war we must win" and he doubled down on Bush's mistake and surged there.  Out of the 2,461 we lost there, 1,724 were lost between 2009-2016.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    one month ago
What are you going to do when they tell you to go fuck yourself sideways with a pitchfork and turn off the spigots? Invade them and occupy the oil fields?

Yes. Yes I would.

You might get Saudi Arabia, Iran, and all of the terrorist factions to stop fighting long enough to turn on the US.

Good luck with that.

I am sure it will chase OPEC right into the Chinese, Russian, and North Korean arms.

That won't help them either. And anyway, a lot of those countries already suck communist dick on a regular basis, so nothing changes there. Meanwhile, we get to explode our economy with dollar gas, and the rest of those countries learn not to fuck with us anymore.

We learned never learn anything. Afghanistan, Iraq, and Vietnam were just wastes of damn time, money, and lives. All easily expendable it seems.

None of those adventures changed our oil situation, nor were they designed to. It's funny. We always hear this "no blood for oil" shit, but we've never really flexed our muscle to get oil. Not really. It has always been political.

Now I know why the US foreign policy is stuck on stupid.

You know what's stupid? That we're allies with the people who did 9/11. That it's 2022 and we're still just as much Arabia's bitch as we were in 1973 - in spite of controlling half a dozen military bases within that country. That's stupid.

evilgenius
Professor Guide
2.1.4  evilgenius  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.2    one month ago
The original mission in Afghanistan was to kill/capture as many Al Qaeda as possible and to punish the Taliban for harboring them 

The Taliban offered up Bin Ladin and the Bush Admin gave them the finger.

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Principal
2.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilgenius @2.1.4    one month ago

BS.

The Taliban agreed to "talk" if we stopped our bombing several days into the war.  Mullah Mohammed Omar said there was no move to "hand anyone over".

If we stopped hostile activity, the Taliban said they would discuss handing over Osama bin Laden to a neutral country 

Afghanistan's deputy prime minister, Haji Abdul Kabir, said that the Taliban would require evidence that Bin Laden was behind the September 11 terrorist attacks.  "If the Taliban is given evidence that Osama bin Laden is involved" and the bombing campaign stopped, "we would be ready to hand him over to a third country", Mr Kabir said.  As long as it wasn't a country that would never "come under pressure from the United States".

George
Freshman Participates
2.1.6  George  replied to  evilgenius @2.1.4    one month ago

The Taliban offered to "try" Bin Laden, in Afghanistan, do you have credible proof they offered to give him to the US?

evilgenius
Professor Guide
2.1.7  evilgenius  replied to  George @2.1.6    one month ago

I stand corrected... Are you a lawyer or member of congress? 

Oct. 14, 2001 --The United States today rejected yet another offer by Afghanistan's ruling Taliban to turn over Osama bin Laden for trial in a third country if the U.S. presents evidence against bin Laden and stops air attacks.

Now that we have everything straight that has no bearing on the subject carry on.

George
Freshman Participates
2.1.8  George  replied to  evilgenius @2.1.7    one month ago

It was simply a correction to you false statement. And thanks for admitting you false allegation had no bearing on the subject.

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Principal
2.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilgenius @2.1.7    one month ago
Now that we have everything straight that has no bearing on the subject carry on.

What do you think has bearing now that we have everything straight?

evilgenius
Professor Guide
2.1.10  evilgenius  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.9    one month ago
What do you think has bearing now that we have everything straight?

The article is about the diesel shortage isn't it? 

The U.S. is facing a diesel crunch just as demand is surging ahead of winter — with only 25 days of supply left, according to the Energy Information Administration.

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Principal
2.1.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilgenius @2.1.10    one month ago

Yes, what do you think has bearing on our diesel shortage?

evilgenius
Professor Guide
2.1.12  evilgenius  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.11    one month ago
what do you think has bearing on our diesel shortage?

Profits. Record profits and razor thin operating margins. Buy & sell investing strategies without having to take physical possession of the commodities. Convenience, greed and apathy. Changing from a manufacturing economy to a service economy with an emphasis on tourism. Trickle down economics ideas that ends up more like shit rolls down hill. 

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Principal
2.1.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilgenius @2.1.12    one month ago

How much would you invest in a new refinery?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.14  Ronin2  replied to  evilgenius @2.1.1    one month ago

So? Join the crowd.

I was against the invasion of Iraq. Clinton's no fly zone and embargo were working. We could have kept the status quo forever. Instead we removed Saddam and handed the country to Iran. Completely stupid and predictable. Bush Jr went back on his word of no nation building twice. Both complete disasters.

I said Afghanistan should have been search and destroy all the way; but dumb fuck career statesmen and politicians that learned nothing from history got us involved in nation building again. We all know how that ended.

Syria is another never ending cluster fuck that has gone from killing ISIS/ISIL to trying and remove Assad. How much money has that cost the US? All for Russia gaining even more power in the region; and getting a port, air fields, and military bases scattered throughout the country. Hard to tell which POTUS was dumber. Obama for training Syrians that went merc and switched sides and paving the way for Russia; Trump for inserting ground troops into what was a proxy war. Or Brandon for continuing this stupidity.

On to Ukraine. I could care less that I am in the minority. WTF are we doing wasting US tax payer money and US military technology that we need for ourselves in that fucking corrupt fascist POS country? Maybe if Brandon pokes the bear hard enough we can all experience what Fallout the game was like for a few seconds before dying. Think Putin will ever allow Ukraine to join NATO; or the the EU? We would do the same damn thing if Canada or Mexico became a Chinese or Russian satellite. We would fight a lot better and wouldn't send our troops in until the country was scorched earth.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.15  Ronin2  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.3    one month ago
What are you going to do when they tell you to go fuck yourself sideways with a pitchfork and turn off the spigots? Invade them and occupy the oil fields?
Yes. Yes I would.

Then you, your children, and family members should be the first to sign up to serve there. I am sure the Saudis will welcome you with open arms- a knife in each hand; and a suicide vest just in case. Jihads are so much fun I hear. At least that is what the veterans I know tell me./S

Good luck with that.

The one thing they hate more than each other is the US. They can always go back to fighting each other whenever they want. After we leave that is.

That won't help them either. And anyway, a lot of those countries already suck communist dick on a regular basis, so nothing changes there. Meanwhile, we get to explode our economy with dollar gas, and the rest of those countries learn not to fuck with us anymore.

How many lives you willing to waste to get this precious oil? Unless you are willing to commit genocide you will lose. But hey, instead of getting some oil from OPEC- let's go for none ever again. I am sure that will improve our situation immensely.

We learned never learn anything. Afghanistan, Iraq, and Vietnam were just wastes of damn time, money, and lives. All easily expendable it seems.
None of those adventures changed our oil situation, nor were they designed to. It's funny. We always hear this "no blood for oil" shit, but we've never really flexed our muscle to get oil. Not really. It has always been political.

We could have had the oil in Iraq. Trump wanted it; but was told no. We don't do mercenary work. Afghanistan has loads of riches besides oil; but those contracts all went to China. Fuck you very much from the ally we were literally keeping in power. At least the Taliban will still benefit from them.

You know what's stupid? That we're allies with the people who did 9/11. That it's 2022 and we're still just as much Arabia's bitch as we were in 1973 - in spite of controlling half a dozen military bases within that country. That's stupid.

I agree we shouldn't have any military bases in that country. They are not and never have been our allies. But what your calling for we have tried and failed numerous times; but what is one more stuck on stupid decision?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.16  Tacos!  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.15    one month ago
Then you, your children, and family members should be the first to sign up to serve there.

How about you and yours be the first to give up driving cars, riding buses, flying, or receiving any goods in the market place that ship using gas or diesel? That’d be pretty much anything you can imagine. How about you also give up plastics that are formed from petroleum? Again - just about everything you could imagine.

Or we can just continue to pay more and line the pockets of a terrorist oligarchy that already makes far more profit from oil than they can possibly spend. All while oppressing significant portions of their own population, about a fifth of which live in poverty.

How much is too much for a gallon of gas? $5? $6? $10? Is there no point at which we look around and realize we are in a relationship with a parasite?

I am sure the Saudis will welcome you with open arms- a knife in each hand; and a suicide vest just in case.

Do you not know that we have ways of flexing our might that don’t involve walking up to random people? That’s what the warship is for. That’s what the air bases are for.

The one thing they hate more than each other is the US.

I disagree. They inflict far more terrorism and war on each other than they do on America. Frankly, attacking America is a lot more difficult. And if we ever really decided to get tough with them, a hell of a lot scarier.

How many lives you willing to waste to get this precious oil?

How many lives have already been wasted pussyfooting around with these people? Why are you so afraid of “Arabian military might?” These people are bullies. They attack us because they know we won’t fight back - not because we can’t.

But hey, instead of getting some oil from OPEC- let's go for none ever again.

And do what? Ride bikes? Horses? Ship groceries in mule-drawn carts?

I agree we shouldn't have any military bases in that country.

I’m not even saying we shouldn’t have them. But if we are going to have them, why not make more effective use of them? 

evilgenius
Professor Guide
3  evilgenius    one month ago

I read the article, but fail to see why this is a government problem. The government doesn't control energy production. There isn't much they can do except spend money and there was just an article a few days ago tying government spending to inflation. Perhaps Congress could start sanctioning these energy company CEOs and board members when something like this happens and compel them to keep a certain level of production going. I'm almost positive that would be unconditional falling under indentured servitude in the courts.

magicschoolbusdropout
Sophomore Principal
3.1  seeder  magicschoolbusdropout  replied to  evilgenius @3    one month ago
The government doesn't control energy production.

Sure they do !

Dan Kish, a senior fellow at the Institute for Energy Research, blamed the decreased refinery capacity and lack of new greenfield projects on the growing number of environmental regulations and required permits.

“We’ve gone from many smaller refineries to refineries operating more efficiently and more economically,” Kish told TheDCNF in an interview. “Just like everything else, it’s very difficult to build anything or to keep anything operating in the United States where we have the strictest environmental laws in the world.”

“They keep squeezing emissions through Clean Air Act, through [the National Environmental Policy Act],” he continued. “They just throw lots of red tape at these folks and it makes it harder and harder to stay afloat.”

Meanwhile, a refinery being built in North Dakota, the largest greenfield refinery since the 1977 Marathon plant, began its permitting process in 2013 and isn’t expected to be completed  until 2023 , Forbes  reported  in 2020.

Another greenfield project located in Utah appears to have stalled since  receiving  a permit from the state’s Department of Air Quality (DAQ) eight years ago. The plant remains permitted but still hasn’t been constructed, Utah DAQ spokesperson Ashley Sumner confirmed in an email to TheDCNF.

evilgenius
Professor Guide
3.1.1  evilgenius  replied to  magicschoolbusdropout @3.1    one month ago
Dan Kish, a senior fellow at the Institute for Energy Research

Is a paid shill for the energy lobby. The Institute for Energy Research was founded by Charles Koch and CEO Robert Bradley, a former Enron executive.

But Kish...

...blamed the decreased refinery capacity and lack of new greenfield projects on the growing number of environmental regulations and required permits.

I guess we could go back to the days where Lake Erie was on fire. I'm sure Mr Kish didn't live anywhere near where he, or his loved ones were negatively impacted from dumping, spills and refinery fires.

magicschoolbusdropout
Sophomore Principal
3.1.2  seeder  magicschoolbusdropout  replied to  evilgenius @3.1.1    one month ago

Existing Refineries can only produce what they are capable of producing. 

Never knew anyone that was capable of forcing 2 lbs. of shit in a 1 lb. Bag without it breaking, Have you !

With no "New" Builds happening, we are stuck with the same capabilities of Production we have now.

Outsourcing isn't very Friendly to the "Work Force' in this country.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.3  devangelical  replied to  magicschoolbusdropout @3.1.2    one month ago
2 lbs. of shit in a 1 lb. Bag

[deleted]

gee, I wonder why big oil hasn't built any new refineries...

magicschoolbusdropout
Sophomore Principal
3.1.4  seeder  magicschoolbusdropout  replied to  devangelical @3.1.3    one month ago
gee, I wonder why big oil hasn't built any new refineries...

one of the reasons that was in the article:

“Just like everything else, it’s very difficult to build anything or to keep anything operating in the United States where we have the strictest environmental laws in the world.”

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Principal
3.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @3.1.3    one month ago

Why invest all of that time and money in a product going away?

evilgenius
Professor Guide
3.1.6  evilgenius  replied to  magicschoolbusdropout @3.1.2    one month ago
Existing Refineries can only produce what they are capable of producing.  With no "New" Builds happening

I didn't see any "New" Builds happening on Republican watches. This is not because of EPA rules. It's because of the "not in my back yard" rules. I've seen it first hand as I currently live by refinery and grew up near another. 

Outsourcing isn't very Friendly to the "Work Force' in this country.

So you want to force communities that don't want polluting hazardous business to accept them because? Which communities? The poor ones? The middle class? Rural? 

magicschoolbusdropout
Sophomore Principal
3.1.7  seeder  magicschoolbusdropout  replied to  evilgenius @3.1.6    one month ago
It's because of the "not in my back yard" rules.

That's a "Kennedy Push" and Richy Rich Hyannis, MA. Wind Farm Thingy.

I've seen it first hand as I currently live by refinery and grew up near another. 

So....It didn't bother you to Live There by Choice !

Nerm_L
Professor Principal
3.2  Nerm_L  replied to  evilgenius @3    one month ago
I read the article, but fail to see why this is a government problem. The government doesn't control energy production. There isn't much they can do except spend money and there was just an article a few days ago tying government spending to inflation. Perhaps Congress could start sanctioning these energy company CEOs and board members when something like this happens and compel them to keep a certain level of production going. I'm almost positive that would be unconditional falling under indentured servitude in the courts.

What does government control really mean?  Of course, the government does not extract, refine, and distribute energy.  But the government most definitely regulates extraction, refining, and distribution of energy.  The government most definitely controls importation AND exportation of energy.  The private sector cannot produce energy without government permits.  The private sector cannot export energy without government permission.

What you are suggesting is that the government nationalize energy.  And in the currently regulatory environment that may be the only workable option available for Biden.  But Biden won't nationalize energy because that would make the government solely responsible for problems in energy supply.  Biden would prefer to snipe from the peanut gallery while imposing more stringent regulations.

evilgenius
Professor Guide
3.2.1  evilgenius  replied to  Nerm_L @3.2    one month ago
The private sector cannot produce energy without government permits. 

So you are saying that the energy companies couldn't build one new refinery since the 1970's because of government permits? I call bullshit.

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Principal
3.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilgenius @3.2.1    one month ago
So you are saying that the energy companies couldn't build one new refinery since the 1970's because of government permits? I call bullshit.

I think that our newest refinery became operational in Feb of this year in Channelview TX.

There have also been some significant upgrades in capability at:

• Motiva in Port Arthur, TX, 2012
  • Valero in Corpus Christi, 2015
  • Maybe 10 other improved in the last 30 years

evilgenius
Professor Guide
3.2.3  evilgenius  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2.2    one month ago

See

Building a refinery is a multi-billion dollar investment. It may take a decade. We haven't had a refinery built in the United States since the 1970s.

Nerm_L
Professor Principal
3.2.4  Nerm_L  replied to  evilgenius @3.2.1    one month ago

Obtaining the required permits can require a decade and cost millions.  Environmentalists use the courts to slow walk the approval and permitting process.  Just obtaining the required government approvals is an expensive investment before any construction can begin.

In the current crisis, let the NIMBY environmentalists carry the burden.  NIMBY environmentalists should be at the end of the line when rationing is required.  

evilgenius
Professor Guide
3.2.5  evilgenius  replied to  Nerm_L @3.2.4    one month ago
Obtaining the required permits can require a decade and cost millions. 

Boo fucking who.

Environmentalists use the courts to slow walk the approval and permitting process.

Yup. Environmentalists have rights too. They got those rights because the companies were dumping shit in the rivers, lakes and any hole they could find. Pumping out toxic shit that was poisoning and killing people. There is a reason we have rules and laws to PROTECT PEOPLE from other people who would do them harm.

NIMBY environmentalists should be at the end of the line when rationing is required.  

It's not just the NIMBY environmentalists. NO ONE wants these things built in their back yard and that's the very problem no one has solved.

squiggy
Junior Quiet
3.2.6  squiggy  replied to  evilgenius @3.2.1    one month ago

Whatever you want to call it. Pipelines and refineries are absolutely hamstrung and we have a president who says, "Fuck oil."

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Kavika   replied to  squiggy @3.2.6    one month ago

14 pipelines were completed in 2021. Enbridge runs from Canada into ND across the Red River across northern Minnesota though wetlands and crosses the Mississippi twice one time close to the head water on into Duluth/Superior and it carriers the same nasty tar sands oil as the Keystone pipeline.

Nerm_L
Professor Principal
3.2.8  Nerm_L  replied to  evilgenius @3.2.5    one month ago
Yup. Environmentalists have rights too. They got those rights because the companies were dumping shit in the rivers, lakes and any hole they could find. Pumping out toxic shit that was poisoning and killing people. There is a reason we have rules and laws to PROTECT PEOPLE from other people who would do them harm.

Everyone has rights.  That excuse is so broad it's become meaningless.  Yes, there are reasons we have laws but courts aren't supposed to write laws.  Autocratic courts and autocratic government agencies are not a substitute for people governing themselves.

It's not just the NIMBY environmentalists. NO ONE wants these things built in their back yard and that's the very problem no one has solved.

Then don't live near a refinery.  Pretty simple.  There are a lot of things people don't want to live near: airports, sewage treatment plants, landfills, railroads, and even hospitals and schools.

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Principal
3.2.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilgenius @3.2.3    one month ago
Motiva in Port Arthur, TX, 2012

HOUSTON, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Motiva Enterprises RDSa.L expects to finish the 325,000 barrel per day expansion of its 285,000 bpd refinery in Port Arthur, Texas, in the first quarter of 2012, CEO Robert Pease said Friday.

Valero in Corpus Christi, 2015

The Eagle Ford Shale is expected to play a role in Valero Energy Corp.'s plans to expand its capacity to process an additional 185 thousand barrels per day of light crude by the first half of 2016.

George
Freshman Participates
4  George    one month ago

No diesel for trucks, rail workers giving Biden the finger, Do your Christmas shopping kids.

evilgenius
Professor Guide
4.1  evilgenius  replied to  George @4    one month ago
No diesel for trucks...

I know a lot of red necks that will be sooo pissed they can't roll coal on local Prius owners.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  evilgenius @4.1    one month ago
I know a lot of red necks

How many are "a lot"?

evilgenius
Professor Guide
4.1.2  evilgenius  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.1    one month ago
How many are "a lot"?

6! That's 6 too many, but I can't just not let them come in at Christmas. They are family... 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  evilgenius @4.1.2    one month ago
6!

Okay dokey then.

I'll have to keep that number in mind whenever we talk about 'a lot'.