╌>

Bike to the future! Slick electric motorcycle cruises 125 miles on just one charge

Category:  Alternative Energy

Via:  larry-crehore  •  10 years ago  •  9 comments

Bike to the future! Slick electric motorcycle cruises 125 miles on just one charge
  • Electric bike has an almost-silent motor integrated into the rear wheel
  • Tiny motor provides 14hp and a top speed of 74mph
  • Side mirrors have integrated displays showing bikes speed and range

The uptake of electric vehicles is usually limited by how far they can travel on a single charge, with experts even coining a new term to describe the feeling of uncertainty over whether you have enough power to reach your destination; 'range anxiety'.

Now one Austrian company is hoping to tackle the problem with the introduction of the Johammer J1 - an electric bike that can travel 125 miles (200km) on a single charge.

Created by Bad Leonfelden-based group Johammer, the electric bike has an almost silent motor integrated into the rear wheel.

The 11 kilowatt hub-mounted motor provides 14 horsepower and a top speed of 74mph (119kph).

article-2605132-1D20552200000578-359_634x414.jpg

Electric hub-mounted motors contain the electric motor within the wheel hub, or central part of the wheel.

To drive the wheel, the motor contains a coil which generates an electromagnetic field as power flows through it.

The field attracts the outer part of the motor, which attempts to follow its direction, and in doing so turns the connected wheel.

The hub motors eliminates the need for a heavy transmission, gear train, and axles which reduces the weight, making the electric bike far more efficient.

In place of traditional gauges, the side mirrors have high-resolution displays that show information on the bikes speed and range.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Larry Crehore    10 years ago

Starting to look like all the nay sayers are being proven wrong once again.Smile.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

I was reading about this elsewhere . The price is very exorbitant ...

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

I'm sure they are high right now but as the tech becomes more wide spread and common place those prices will come down quickly.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Also :

pokermike
Freshman Silent
link   pokermike    10 years ago

Though it may economical to run, the last thing I want is a silent bike. Personal experience has taught me that LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES.

I'll keep my Harley a while longer.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Some bikers want to travel . Others just want to make noise ...

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Here's something that has a longer range but costs a lot less today :

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

What you say is unfortunately accurate . But at times even that does not help .

However if noise was the only criterion a noise maker could be added to the e-bikes .

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

Both of these links are for the same bike and same company in my original article.

The Zero Motorcycle is an interesting link though, thanks for posting it.