Op-Ed: Christianity Is Not About Religion—It's About A Personal Relationship With Donald Trump

Via:  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  •  2 weeks ago  •  27 comments

Leave a comment to auto-join group Aardvark-Adorers!

Aardvark-Adorers!

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

When Christ came 2,000 years ago, he came not with a set of rules for us to try hard to follow in order to become better people, but with a cross that accomplished our righteousness for us. He came not with more religious regulations but with the very righteousness of God.

Yet, sadly, sometimes we treat Christianity like a set of strict rules to follow. This is a deadly error. One of the worst things you can do in your spiritual walk with God is to equate your beliefs with cold, dead religion. Let me state this plainly: Christianity is not a religion.

Christianity is a personal relationship with President Donald Trump.

It’s not ritual, it’s not ceremony, it’s not going to church on the first day of the week and wearing your Sunday best. It’s not wearing shined-up shoes and polo shirts so everyone else at church will think you’re doing alright. It’s not cold, and it’s not dead. It is a living, active relationship with God’s chosen ruler of the United States.

Don’t measure your faith by how much stuff you do for God; measure your faith by how closely your life emulates that of our savior, Donald Trump. This simple paradigm shift will cause your spiritual growth to skyrocket as you shed the empty shell of false religion and connect on a personal level with Trump.

Get rid of the to-do list and embrace a relationship with the one who is in charge of our nation. Only then will you know what it truly means to walk with The Donald. Only then will you be fully sold-out and committed to Making America Great Again. Only then will you be renewed to walk in newness of life in full faith and fellowship with the Republican Party.

Find text within the comments Find

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
1  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    2 weeks ago

This was too good to pass up!  The Babylon Bee nailed it.

1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @1    2 weeks ago

I have to say, it is something I never got. He is so ungodly. He has committed so many sins according to the Bible and somehow, they seem to look past it. How do they reconcile this? Total cognitive dissidence.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
1.1.1  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    2 weeks ago

The evangelicals come out of the woodwork to vote for the guy. Even the Mitt and Captain Neocon McCain couldn't get them out. Truly strange.

1.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    2 weeks ago

It gives them an excuse to overlook their own sins.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
1.1.3  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.2    2 weeks ago

If the donald can be forgiven, so can they. Excellent thought.

JohnRussell
1.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    2 weeks ago

As long as  one acknowledges that many of these "Christians" are incredible hypocrites I don't think it's that difficult to understand.

First and foremost Trump is appointing right wing judges to the federal courts. The Evangelicals believe these judges will be the vanguard that eventually ends abortion , makes Christianity a quasi state religion, and installs the Judeo Christian world view as the legal and "constitutional" basis for governing the United States in the future. Trump is using far right groups that are associated with Evangelical groups to create the lists from which he picks judges.  He helps the evangelicals, they vote for him and support him in large numbers.

Secondly, Trump advances, they think, the end times prophecy associated with Israel and events in Jerusalem. These end times beliefs are a core of Evangelical doctrine. Trump has gone along, such as moving the US embassy to Jerusalem  which is in line with the prophecy.

Third, some/many evangelicals believe , for some strange reason, that Trump was chosen by God to be America's leader. There are books and even a documentary film about this exact thing.

I guess to sum it all up, they are either brainwashed or mere cynical irreligious hypocrites.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
1.1.5  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.4    2 weeks ago

Have you seen this in the Church yet?

1.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.4    2 weeks ago

I think that might be a good part of it John.

katrix
1.2  katrix  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @1    2 weeks ago

My sister turned into a young earth creationist and a complete bible babbler - yet she supports Trump. She can't even stand to be around anyone who curses, she refuses to let me use the word "date" around her kid (and I was talking about a dinner date, not bumping uglies), she went off on me when I said I hate the Dallas Cowboys (can't use the word "hate")  - and yet she supports him.

I just don't get it either.

1.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  katrix @1.2    2 weeks ago

Katrix,

This must be hard for you to reconcile if you two were close. I feel badly for you.  I never could get how people can make these extreme changes in their lives. I don't get how someone of faith can support a man who had none till he got elected. I am baffled.

1.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.1    2 weeks ago

He still doesn't have any.  When has he ever shown any "christian values" (the ones Jesus preached, not the lack of them from many of today's Christians) since taking office?

1.2.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2.2    2 weeks ago

Honestly, none that I have seen, so I am not sure how they find them.

katrix
1.2.4  katrix  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.1    2 weeks ago

I don't particularly care if she supports Trump - while I disagree, that's her business. It's her getting into conspiracy theories and Breitbart, and her need to totally control the conversation, that I can't take. I feel bad for her because she dove into religion as a crutch and it's basically removed her from our family.

She no longer comes to see our mother and never calls her (87, dementia, former Episcopal deacon so definitely not an atheist like me, lives 10 minutes from my sister) - some Christian she is. I guess I see so much hypocrisy from religious fanatics that their support of Trump really doesn't surprise me. It seems to be all lip service anyway.

Nerm_L
1.3  Nerm_L  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @1    2 weeks ago
The curious relationship with evangelicals and the donald. One of the strangest things i've seen in modern politics. This was too good to pass up!  The Babylon Bee nailed it.

To understand why evangelicals support Trump, it's necessary to listen to what evangelicals say rather than try to argue with them.

The Babylon Bee doesn't want to understand evangelical support for Trump.  The desire is to characterize that evangelical support according to a different world view and justify a stinted form of bigotry.  Evangelicals are 'the other' so it is very easy to disparage and disregard evangelicals as being sub-human, ignorant, hypocritical, or too stupid to be listened to.

That isn't too surprising.  Bigotry provides a way to avoid scrutinizing one's own world view and perhaps finding that world view inadequate.  The world view of 'the other' is so obviously wrong that one's own world view must be right, by default.  It's far easier to ignore one's own faults by finding faults with 'the other'.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
1.3.1  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Nerm_L @1.3    2 weeks ago

The Babylon bee is a christian satire site, many of the writers are evangelicals but that doesn't stop them from identifying this strange phenomena in American politics.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
2  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    2 weeks ago

I suspect the love affair stems from judicial nominees, the donald has the perfect record for them. I also suspect they might be weary of turning the other cheek on the national stage.

Either way it's still a strange thing.

3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 weeks ago

Maybe it is tweets like this that inspire them. He is so god like:

Yeah gotta love the "My great and unmatched wisdom" part. So god like.

katrix
3.1  katrix  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    2 weeks ago

Referring to himself as the second coming .. and the chosen one ... he probably does equate himself to a god, which is one of the biggest sins in the bible. You would think the religious base would realize that a false prophet is someone who Jesus said he won't know.

3.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  katrix @3.1    2 weeks ago

Thanks for getting my point. I was shocked with this tweet. It wasn't that it was just over the top, it was offensive to those who say they believe, and yet not a word.

3.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  katrix @3.1    2 weeks ago

He has to settle for second, Malenia kicked him out of bed when he fucked up the first cuming. (Rim Shot)

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
4  seeder  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    2 weeks ago

The evolving manger scene

katrix
4.1  katrix  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @4    2 weeks ago

I'm not sure why I think this, but shouldn't Jane Fonda as Barbarella be in there somewhere?

4.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  katrix @4.1    2 weeks ago

LMAO!

4.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  katrix @4.1    2 weeks ago

Where's Waldo?

4.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @4    2 weeks ago

Is the angel Ivanka or just a model Trump has claimed to grab?

Tacos!
5  Tacos!    2 weeks ago

Trump does something I see many politicians do. He goes around saying the things his voters want to hear, and they are happy to hear it, so they support him. The term for this is "pandering."

He pulls this off in spite of the fact that if you look at him objectively, it's pretty hard to accept that he actually believes the things he says. But there is a political history that allows this to work for Trump.

Obama said some disparaging/condescending things about evangelicals when he was initially running for office and it killed his relationship with them forever. We can debate about his context and intent, but it's irrelevant. The damage was done. It was a crucial tactical error. (Hillary Clinton made the same mistake. Romney made a similar mistake when talking about taxes.)

Into this wasteland where evangelicals felt not just abandoned but attacked, strode Trump, brazenly talking about God more than most preachers would. Evangelicals soaked it up like a cactus soaks up water, not caring from whence the stream flowed.

When Mitt Romney or Bush ( be it elder or junior) talks about faith, I buy it. They really do live that life. But when Trump does it, I just think, "yeah ok, whatever." Look at the man's history. How could anyone buy into this? But they do. So he panders away. And then I wait for him to get back to what he's actually going to do on the job.

Democratic politicians have been doing this for years. They go around talking about racial justice or equal rights based on sex, sexual orientation, fair treatment and pay for working class people, paying for health care, etc. But have they actually lived that life? Very often the answer is obviously not. These white, rich people have been professional politicians their whole lives. These are not their personal issues. But they say the right things, so that population thinks they care.

Look at Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders. They go around the country talking about poverty and racial justice. Bernie talks about abortion. And somehow people believe that these are matters of high priority for these candidates. Personally, I really doubt it, but their supporters accept it because they keep hitting those talking points on the campaign trail.

Unfortunately, pandering works. We're just not as used to seeing it on the topic of religious faith, so it's more of a shock.

"Not my candidate!" someone will say. "They're the real deal." Save it. I'm too cynical for that.

6  Paula Bartholomew    2 weeks ago

If Christianity is not about religion and all about Trump, what was it before Trump came along besides hatred and hypocrisy.

loki12