Baron Creek

Weird thoughts on a Saturday Afternoon...

By:  Baron Creek  •  Opinion  •  one month ago  •  24 comments

Weird thoughts on a Saturday Afternoon...
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. H.L. Mencken

I’m sitting admiring my newly acquired 20/20 vision without glasses. Recently completed cataract surgery on my left eye, having completed the right eye a couple of weeks back. If my math is correct, that should be all. Granted this new math has me overwhelmed. Example:

In 2006, only 0.4% of seniors over 65 reported using marijuana products in the past year, they said. The newly published study found that by 2015, the number had doubled to 2.4%. By 2018, it had doubled again, with 4.2% of seniors over 65 using weed.

Did I say cataract? Maybe I should call it Cadillac, considering the total cost was nearly $8,000 out of pocket. Medicare won’t pay for multi-focal lenses... just distance lens.

Naturally, I have been mostly sitting idly by and following orders regarding lifting, bending, which side to sleep on, showering positions and eye drops, eye drops, eye drops. Why is there a 10lb weight limit after cataract surgery? I asked the surgeon and he gave me a blank look. Maybe he needs cataract surgery as well. I have used that idle time to spend way too much time reading on-line “stuff”.

Which currently seems all about elections and/or coronavirus and/or stock market. Nothing else in this whole wide flat earth world is happening. Everyone seems to be in a panic about something.

• The coronavirus could tank the economy, which has the administration in a panic.

• The stock market is in a panic, which has the administration in a panic.

• Sanders might get nominated, which has the Democratic leadership in a panic.

• The coronavirus news is starting to weight heavily on the public, which is awaiting word on when/if to panic.

I can understand a bit of the stock market panic, but to clarify... it is about the potential impact on earnings and profits due to coronavirus, not the virus itself. It’s difficult to tell where the slide will eventually stop, as there are so many unknowns. I can imagine a big bounce back sometime next week, but the overall tendency would be down. As someone once said... “the known knowns” are troubling.

I can understand the concern over the economy. We live in “an abundance of caution” type of world, which many times requires an overreaction. Phrases such as “self-quarantine”, shortages, etc. tend to impact the consumer pattern of thinking. As the economy is consumer driven, it does not take a mass panic to impact it negatively. Simply an overall slowdown in consumer spending. On the other hand, stores are apparently going to start feeling shortages in April and it is hard to spend money on something that isn’t there and a store that hasn’t anything to sell... then they aren’t making money.

“Self-quarantine” if you might have COVID-19? We have a lot of people living paycheck to paycheck, that don’t get paid unless they work. It is a fantasy to believe they would not try to work... even if they KNEW they had COVID-19, imo.  I’ve seen where China is accused on under-reporting cases. In my humble opinion, you can only know the true extent, by testing everyone simultaneously and repeating it regularly. Something that is not possible. Data is collected about the known, then guesses are made about the rest. Japan has closed schools over this, so expect American parents insist on the same thing. Question: Are the people cleaning up the schools paid hourly and have they been tested for “purity” and exactly who pays for this testing. Thank about it.

Politics... I do not believe the government is some omnipotent entity which can raise up and squelch COVID-19. Democrats and Republicans are reduced to excited utterances about what is necessary and not necessary, etc.  I am also not buying the contention that our healthcare system could handle the onslaught of a pandemic.

Let’s hope this thing starts to die out soon. Supposedly, viruses require cool and dry conditions, hence the reason flu is more prevalent in wintertime.

My vision has improved considerably, but my foresight is dim regarding all of this.  Of course, it might be something easily explained by this new math!!

Baron Creek
1  author  Baron Creek    one month ago

Per instructions... a comment.

igknorantzrulz
2  igknorantzrulz    one month ago

it might be something easily explained by this new math!!"

i thought i might have ADD, but it didn't add up, so i sewed RIP'S N2Oh so many cracking up smoking pot

holes because of another asses phault line that lifted and shifted plates geared to mesh fabrics torn from the wash line drawn to erase the tears cried and freeze dried because they had a beef with vegans who wood meat at the butcher block on the circle nowhere around.

I C sight as a something to saw in half

the time it takes to get paid time and a half.

What was i babbling about again...

oh yea, my ADD not adding up as my trane of thought never left the stationary desk i often move around my room to exercise my paradoxes

as i'm an oxy10moron than off ten

i believe me lying in bed is a lie

what were my choices again ?

coronavirus, economy, stock market, panic   ?

hmm, u b careful after eye operation not to catch a coronavirus, they're out of season and not stocked at the economy market where i shop for panic bars to drink at.

. can i buy a vow to break the ice  ?

Nona62
2.1  Nona62  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2    one month ago

I had mine done 2 weeks ago.  I still need glasses for reading,,other than that, I'm  quite pleased with the  results..

3  Buzz of the Orient    one month ago

Although Hubei Province and its capitol Wuhan is experiencing at least a slowdown in new cases, Chungqing, where I live, has not had a new case for a number of days and so I believe that the scourge has peaked outside of Hubei.  That is a good sign, and maybe after about 6 weeks of self-imposed quarantine I might be able to leave my home.

Chungqing, a City-State of about 32 million population, has had less than 600 cases, almost half of that now recovered.  I think the major concern with Covid-19, is how countries with less sophisticated health care systems will deal with it, which could cause major spreading.

3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    one month ago

Be careful when you do leave your house.  Just because you don't have it, you still risk coming in contact with a carrier.

3.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1    one month ago

Thank you for your concern.  I have only one reason why I would need to go out - to an ATM, and it can wait.  My wife goes out to shop for food and medicines only when necessary, and is very careful - stays away from others, even wears disposable shoe covers and gloves and washes carefully on return. We live in an upscale area where people are very careful.

4  Kavika     one month ago

New cases are showing up all over the US. I believe that it's only the tip of the iceberg as far as the virus in the US goes.

The ride is going to get very rough.

Baron Creek
4.1  author  Baron Creek  replied to  Kavika @4    one month ago
The ride is going to get very rough.

Hopefully not. On the other hand, if the anticipated shortages at stores like Walmart and Target were to intersect with Covid-19 rising or even stabilizing... look out! The great toilet paper shortage . That was 46 years ago.

Anybody that reasonably expects the America public to be calm and rational after all the hyp... is likely delusional from a fever, which might be caused by....

4.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Baron Creek @4.1    one month ago

In our area (Central Florida) sani wipes are at a premium. All the stores are out of them.

Baron Creek
4.1.2  author  Baron Creek  replied to  Kavika @4.1.1    one month ago

I went to a couple of stores today. Typical Sunday evening as what one store didn't have... the other did. I didn't really look for sanitizing stuff, but did get toilet paper. jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

4.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Baron Creek @4.1.2    one month ago

LOL, stock up on the toilet paper. We can't afford another toilet paper shortage.

Baron Creek
4.1.4  author  Baron Creek  replied to  Kavika @4.1.3    one month ago

I swear I read somewhere that the supply shortage was going to hit the bridal industry real hard. I can see the headlines now "Attack of the Killer Bridezillas".

Gotta have fun while I can!jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

4.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @4    one month ago

OK 1st case in NY. Here we go folks.

4.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2    one month ago

Florida just reported it's first two cases. One of unknown origin and the other of a person that had traveled to Italy.

5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    one month ago

Congrats on your new 20/20. Personally I am sick of readers.

So since we are talking about vision and disease, I have a royal case of conjunctivitis aka pink eye. It looks like I am going to need additional drops since it's deep in one cornea because I thought I was just having dry eye.

As for the coronavirus, this should be interesting. I know that many of us are near that over 60 group. Joy! I'm not making any plans on going anywhere either (I say as I am about to pick up my parents at the airport. They were in FLA)

This is one time I have to agree with dear old dad (otherwise known as "Big Cheif"). It is what it is.

Baron Creek
5.1  author  Baron Creek  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    one month ago
near that over 60 group

You young whipper snappers crack me up! jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png I hope you get better.

I see where Schumer is proposing to have the currently non-existent covid-19 virus vaccine paid for by Medicare's seniors. Naturally, I think that is great, but wonder if his motivation is pure. It does beg the question, does anyone's insurance cover this new vaccine?

5.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Baron Creek @5.1    one month ago

I would hope that a disease with what looks like a 2% mortality rate, would be paid by public health. There are 329.45 million Americans at that means about 6,589,000 deaths and that is a whole lot of death.

Let's see how the stock markets feel about that.

Baron Creek
5.1.2  author  Baron Creek  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.1    one month ago

Are you saying every American will contract the disease? I don't think so. Or are you making the case for Medicare for all? I didn't think you were a Bernie fan. It does bring up a political point... at what point does the virus overwhelm the public consciousness and our healthcare system come under serious scrutiny?

As for the stock market, it appears the U.S. markets have found the cure for tomorrow's opening. We'll see how long that lasts.

5.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Baron Creek @5.1.2    one month ago

Say that 10% (33 million) of Americans contracted the virus and it had a 2% fatality rate. That is  660,000 fatalities. Almost the exact number that died in the US during the Spanish Influenza of 1918.

Baron Creek
5.1.5  author  Baron Creek  replied to  Kavika @5.1.4    one month ago

My Paternal Grandmother died from that disease, January 19th, 1919. The best information I could get from my grandfather, she  was pregnant. The mortality rate was highest for pregnant women, if my research memory is correct. Of course, I doubt she was tested and proven to have spanish flu, but it was just assumed.

5.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Baron Creek @5.1.5    one month ago

My maternal Grandmother died from it along with her one-week-old daughter. The Spanish flu had a particularly devastating effect on Native Americans and Alaska natives.

Baron Creek
5.1.7  author  Baron Creek  replied to  Kavika @5.1.6    one month ago

I once took my kids to where my grandparents "set up housekeeping" and they couldn't understand how someone in a place so remote, with horse and buggy transportation could be exposed. It is hard to explain that barren spaces with names once likely had a church and/or a small store, or a blacksmith, etc. You didn't have to ride a horse 17 miles to a  current town for supplies. There once was an infrastructure for that lifestyle that no longer exists. Progress!

6  Buzz of the Orient    one month ago

Still no new cases in Chongqing and the huge department store across the road will be reopening in a few days.  I think that where I am we're starting to see a glimmer of light.  Sorry for what's coming to the USA, but I just read that the CDC was requiring the wrong testing kit to be used.

Baron Creek
6.1  author  Baron Creek  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    one month ago

Testing kits seem to be a major problem. The person in New York testing positive was only the 32nd patient in New York, tested at that timing . More directly to your comment, not wrong kit, but defective reagent... badly bungled testing .