Baron Creek

Is This the New Normal?

By:  Baron Creek  •  Nonsense and Ramblings  •  5 months ago  •  24 comments

Is This the New Normal?
Patience is not simply the ability to wait - it's how we behave while we're waiting. - Joyce Meyer

Ventured out amongst the masses today and realized that I should probably avoid the public as much as possible.

I was simply going inside a drug store to pickup my wife’s bowel prep, which wouldn’t fit in the drive thru window. There were two windows, very clearly marked… one for vaccinations and one for express pickup. I dutifully waited behind a lady and her child at the express pickup window, except she was there for vaccinating her child.

Okay no problem for me that she can’t read and follow directions but wait… the fun was about to begin. She needed to make an appointment, as once a vial is opened it has an expiration timing, so the store tries to prevent waste by scheduling multiple people for a time frame. This was very unacceptable, and she gave numerous reasons as to why and that it was an inconvenience to even be there today at that time.

No other time other than right this minute was acceptable as her child had been living in near quarantine conditions and it that was no longer acceptable. Long story short, she eventually gave up on her rant and indignation and asked if there were somewhere else, she could go. I had already gone to vaccines.gov and determined there were 38 locations within 25 miles with vaccines available. I was saying nothing as I was not going to engage this trained healthcare professional (her exact words). It was all I could do to suppress laughter and thank goodness for wearing a mask and not being on an airplane.

Okay on to vaccinations

41% of the population has been fully vaccinated and 50.1% has at least one dose. There has been discussion of possible immunity of individuals with an estimated 114.6M Americans having had covid. BUT, the amount of overlap is unknown, so the actual “herd” immunity is unclear. There are still a lot of unknowns, so I will continue to limit interaction with the public. I generally preferred that scenario prior to covid and now have an excuse.

In any case, 86% of Americans over 65 have at least one dose and 74.9% fully vaccinated. Most of the covid deaths (85%+) have been in this age range. In my state it is 91.4% over age 60. We are slipping into what range (number) of deaths becomes acceptable. We are still above the infection and death rate of end of June last year. I suspect we are near that acceptable level. The economy, state and federal tax collections, as well as the mood of the public is driving the bus.

The covid leak thing. It is being debated, so my 2¢ worth. I seriously doubt the leak was intentional as it was so poorly done. Accidental leak has some probability, but we will never know the full story. I doubt our own government wants the truth out, as it would require some type of action that no one wants or is willing to undertake. So, the report will say inconclusive, because of obstruction from China. We can still remain divided over the issue, imo, in case you were worried we might suddenly become united.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder

JohnRussell
1  JohnRussell    5 months ago

I saw a story on tv a day or two ago about a 50 something man being buried by his family. He got covid in April, most likely at a wedding. He wasnt vaccinated or wearing a mask and I suspect others at the wedding were the same.

Now his family is left to say what a great guy he was.

People think the pandemic is over but there will still be hundreds if not thousands of people to get sick and die.

Who wants to be the last one to die in a war?

Baron Creek
Junior Participates
1.1  author  Baron Creek  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 months ago

Globally 1 year ago, the daily death rate was about 5,000. It remains above 10K current. India is hovering around 3,500, down slightly from 4,100 peak. Brazil is hovering around 2,000 from peak of 3,000. It is still ravaging South America in general.

USA 1 year ago, the daily death rate was about 1,000. It is now hovering around 500. I suspect the acceptable number to be in that range, as the death rate has dropped from media coverage and Americans have convinced themselves we have been cured. We can't seem to recognize that being optimistic is not the same as being cured.

Japan's death rate is at an all time high, heading into the olympics.  Eastern and Central Europe are finally seeing a reduction.

There is still ample opportunity for variants to replicate, which current vaccines are not so effective, imo.

In any case, I don't think this thing is truly on the downward slide, until the entire globe starts seeing dramatic reductions.

JohnRussell
1.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Baron Creek @1.1    5 months ago

I would tend to agree with you.

Krishna
1.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Baron Creek @1.1    5 months ago

Exactly.

What these selfish morons also fail to realize is that in this era people are more mobile than ever. So if other countries have YUGE infection rates, its inevitable that some of their people will enter the U.S. in way or another....

Krishna
1.1.3  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.2    5 months ago
Some people are saying that as long as our rates go down-- who cares about the rest of the world? But putting aside their total lack of compassion for their fellow human beings for a moment...what these selfish morons also fail to realize is that in this era people are more mobile than area. So if other countries have YUGE infection rates, its inevitable that some of their people will enter the U.S. in way or another....

And there's also another aspect to this that's less widely known. The larger the number of cases, the greater the likelihood of new mutations!!! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png . And eventually some of those mutations will be much easier to transmit...or much more deadly (its a matter of statistics).

Greg Jones
PhD Expert
1.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @1.1.3    5 months ago

Really? What's the science behind that assertion?

Krishna
1.1.5  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.4    5 months ago
What's the science behind that assertion?

I'm surprised that, at this point, you are so totally unware of that.

(Well, actually, now that I think of it I'm actually not surprised. Not surprised at all!)

sandy-2021492
2  sandy-2021492    5 months ago

Good grief.  She seems to really want the vaccine, but doesn't want to put much effort into getting it.  As soon as I was eligible, I did whatever I could to get the vaccine.  As soon as my son was eligible, I did whatever I could to get him the vaccine.  In the time she took to engage in her rant, she could have booked an appointment.

2.1  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    5 months ago

As soon as my age was eligible, I made an appointment.

I don't get what this woman's problem was. Make an appointment and be done with it.

Sorry lady but you are not the only one in town that has a busy schedule.

Others made it work.

sandy-2021492
2.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @2.1    5 months ago

Yup.  The hospital called me first, to offer the vaccine after all hospital staff had been vaccinated.  After that, I made an appointment online for my second dose.  I set up appointments for my employees to have their first doses.  As soon as Virginia approved those over 16 to get the vaccine, I got online and looked for an appointment for my son.

We're all busy.  You do what you need to do.

r.t..b...
PhD Participates
2.2  r.t..b...  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    5 months ago

The rant sounds remarkably similar to those who support limiting voting rights...wonder where she flips that coin. But I digress.

SteevieGee
Senior Silent
2.2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  r.t..b... @2.2    5 months ago

So...  If it's easier to vote do you have to throw out vaccines?

SteevieGee
Senior Silent
2.3  SteevieGee  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    5 months ago

You would think that a "trained healthcare professional" could have been vaccinated at work by now.

sandy-2021492
2.3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  SteevieGee @2.3    5 months ago

Or would have been one of the first in line at her local hospital, before the vaccine was released to clinics, doctors' offices, and pharmacies.

Baron Creek
Junior Participates
2.3.2  author  Baron Creek  replied to  SteevieGee @2.3    5 months ago

The vaccination in question was for her daughter.

3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 months ago

While I think it is important to find out what happened in the lab in China, at this point, it is just to know if they broke international law, which btw, almost every lab does, since germ warfare has been off the table since the 1970's.

The real issue now is getting everyone vaccinated to prevent further variants of the disease. You can't put the genie back in the bottle, but you can tame it.

If anyone is interested they might want to check out Sam Nunn's group. They are a watchdog group for these labs:

None of which are supposed to exist.

According to them:

Only 16 countries plus Taiwan have had or are currently suspected of having biological weapons programs: Canada, China, Cuba, France, Germany, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Libya, North Korea, Russia, South Africa, Syria, the United Kingdom and the United States.   There is widespread consensus against the possession and use of biological weapons. Most countries are party to the  Biological and Toxin Weapon Convention , but there is no way to know whether countries are complying with their commitments.

Look at that list and know, that this could happen again and from any one of these labs.

Krishna
4  Krishna    5 months ago

my wife’s bowel prep,

TMI??? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
PhD Expert
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @4    5 months ago

A gallon jug of...."GoLightly"

Krishna
5  Krishna    5 months ago

And then there's another "minor" factor-- our current president has made it a top priority of his administration to greatly increase the number of Americans who are vaccinated.

(In fact its probably safe to say that its not merely a priority-- upon taking office it was probably his #! top priority!!! jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png )

Greg Jones
PhD Expert
5.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @5    5 months ago

But is he succeeding?

Krishna
5.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    5 months ago

But is he succeeding?

Here's a suggestion that I hope you find helpful. I highly recommend you read (or watch) the news on a daily basis.

IMO it would greatly increase your credibility here! jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Baron Creek
Junior Participates
5.1.2  author  Baron Creek  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    5 months ago

The goal was 70% of adults to have at least one shot by July 4th. 70% of adults is 180.6M. There are currently 163.1M (63.2%) with at least one dose. It is doable, although very close, imo.

Krishna
6  Krishna    5 months ago

I've heard some good arguments on both sides of the issue. And I don't know which argument is correct.

However, one thing to consider is the fact that early on China had a really YUGE number of Covid outbreaks amongst their own population. If they deliberately released the Virus to hurt the U.S.-- wouldn't they have done it directly inside the U.S. in a way that would not effect their own people???

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Krishna @6    5 months ago

No way.  And your logic is in the top 3 reasons why.  Compassionate people have difficulty accepting what people without compassion are capable of doing even though our recorded history is filled with endless examples of men playing "Game of Thrones" in reality.   Just think of it as the Chinese government writing off their civilian deaths as collateral damage as has been the practice throughout history.

Another reason - If manufactured in lab, scientists had a demographic target and a reasonable expectation that their death losses would be minimal and their economic gains protected on the world stage.  I am guessing that protecting economic development and expanding influence internationally is probably the chief concern of the Chinese government just the same as it is for many other governments around the globe.

Another reason - releasing this on their own population provides ample guinea pigs to study firsthand.  If China is serious about germ warfare, it might be working along genetic lines.

There were several bonuses for the Chinese government as well even if the virus wasn't manufactured in a lab.  This has created fear in people's minds of what the China government could possibly do if threatened.

The US is becoming more unstable economically and socially.  Our society doesn't require a virus to do us in, we are working 24/7 to do it ourselves.

Just my thoughts on this subject.

Hope all is going well with everyone.