CB

CB

Latest Followers:

magnoliaave DocPhil Dulay badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη IceMan Trout Giggles Eat The Press Do Not Read It Dowser Al-316 True American Pat Freewill Perrie Halpern R.A. Enoch KatPen John Galt 1147

Amazing Grace as a 'smoky' hymn??

By:  CB  •  Religion and Reason  •  6 days ago  •  12 comments

Amazing Grace as a 'smoky' hymn??

The Challenge of This Song is not to Scare America." — Sarah Grace.

What you are about to watch next is smoky, irreverent, irresistible, or can we term this 'fun'? Check it out:

Ladies and Gentleman, well, what do you say?

Has the time finally arrived to re-interpret hymn-standards?  Is this rendition which blends, "Amazing Grace" (John Newton 1779) with "House of the Rising Song" (The Animals 1964) effective and powerful?

original

As always I covet your opinions!

CB
1  author  CB    6 days ago

Are you scared? Or is this a Winner?

CB
2  author  CB    6 days ago

It would be nice to get some opinions from Heartland American (where are you?) and Live Free or Die on this one too!

Hal A. Lujah
3  Hal A. Lujah    5 days ago

I've been watching the show this season, and she is really good.  What's up with the stank face every time she sings though?  I predict Kennedy (the 13 year old) will win.

CB
3.1  author  CB  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3    5 days ago

Sarah Grace is 15 years old and already has stated her purpose to excel. The stank face. It is her passion: she is the real deal. With that rich, deep, tone loaded with vibrato. I'm scared of her for breaking down Amazing Grace with a blues melody, though.

What will the voting public do? (Note: I just listened again just now, and this "blending" is a tad less shocking. Today, I can sense genuine passion at the close of the song!)

So, do you think Sarah Grace has scared a goodly portion of her voter audience because of this audacity? Or, this is a winning combination? Sidebar: I loved the trumpet, but as Kelly Clarkson would state it: I think she needed a big note somewhere in there on the trumpet.

al Jizzerror
3.1.1  al Jizzerror  replied to  CB @3.1    3 days ago

She's amazing alright.

CB
3.1.2  author  CB  replied to  al Jizzerror @3.1.1    3 days ago

What's odd is even though I am still on the fence about her choosing to blend a sacred hymn with a blues anthem, the effect is I listened even closer to her voice and had others near me do so too. She is the genuine article.

CB
4  author  CB    5 days ago

Well. Apparently, very few think it is interesting at all that Sarah Grace artfully blended a sacred hymn with blues song. Interesting or disturbing.

CB
5  author  CB    5 days ago

Okay, Sarah Grace not only remains on the show; she charted #3 on Itunes for her rendering of Amazing Grace with the House of the Rising Sun melody. Check! Sarah Grace is a winner.

al Jizzerror
6  al Jizzerror    3 days ago

The Animals version of House of the Rising Sun is a classic.

Here's another cool version.

The song has been around for a long time:

The oldest known recording of the song, under the title "Rising Sun Blues", is by Appalachian artists Clarence "Tom" Ashley and Gwen Foster, who recorded it in 1928.  From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Split Personality
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  al Jizzerror @6    3 days ago

that was a real treat Al,  gave me the chills, lol.

CB
6.2  author  CB  replied to  al Jizzerror @6    3 days ago

That singer's voice is pitch-perfect!

charger 383