╌>

New $444 million hockey arena is still a go in Detroit

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  z  •  11 years ago  •  25 comments

New $444 million hockey arena is still a go in Detroit

BFnkXsj.jpg?1 "Detroit's financial crisis hasn't derailed the city's plans to spend more than $400 million in Michigan taxpayer funds on a new hockey arena for the Red Wings.

Advocates of the arena say it's the kind of economic development needed to attract both people and private investment dollars into downtown Detroit. It's an argument that has convinced Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder and Kevyn Orr, the emergency manager he appointed to oversee the city's finances, to stick with the plan. Orr said Detroit's bankruptcy filing won't halt the arena plans.

"I know there's a lot of emotional concern about should we be spending the money," said Orr. "But frankly that's part of the economic development. We need jobs. If it is as productive as it's supposed to be, that's going to be a boon to the city."

But critics say the project won't have enough economic impact to justify the cost, and that it's the wrong spending priority for a city facing dire economic conditions".- http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/26/news/economy/detroit-bankruptcy-arena/

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

A total waste of money, except for those who can afford going to such games. There is no long term trickle-down effect.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    11 years ago

barb

I agree that it is not the right time for the city to be spending hundreds of millions on a new sports arena but a question for you -

Every dollar spent on beer or tickets or whatever at a sports arena is one less dollar going to other venues like a local bar or restaurant or movie theater. It is theft from the many to the few.

So should we do away with professional sports and other activities that occur at these arenas or should the games and activities be held at the local high school or football field or perhaps in the parking lot of one of those local bars or restaurants?

Just wondering

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

barb

I agree that the arenas and fields for privately held teams and other entities should not be paid for by the public

But that is not what your statement says when you say

Every dollar spent on beer or tickets or whatever at a sports arena is one less dollar going to other venues like a local bar or restaurant or movie theater

You are saying that people should not attend games or shows and should not buy a beer when they do/ And that is absolutely not for you or anyone else to say to others.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

flameaway

As usual you speak boldly about that which you know nothing

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

flameaway

You have made a choice and I respect that you prefer high school sports to all others but others get to make their own choices

I personally attend minor league baseball games a few towns over (tickets are whopping $3 and usually take a few sodas in a cooler bag and though our youngest child is 35 we never miss a local HS football or basketball game.

Variety and everything in moderation is the key to enjoying sports just like everything else

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    11 years ago

It's an argument that has convinced Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder and Kevyn Orr, the emergency manager he appointed to oversee the city's finances, to stick with the plan. Orr said Detroit's bankruptcy filing won't halt the arena plans.

And what are the odds that these two have some connection to the contractors, realtors and other money-men in the process?

I've asked several members who have laid blame for Detroit's fiscal demise on the "redistribution" racist buzzword, IF THEY KNEW ABOUT THE SALE OF THE SILVERDOME (home of the Detroit Lions).

No responses.

So, here it is.

So as Pontiacs emergency manager he helped engineer the sale of the Silverdome at a fire sale ($583,000) price and now hes working with the guy who bought it to make what will inevitably end up being a huge amount of money on the use of that property.

The Republican Governor of Michigan and his legislature created these "emergency manager" positions and gave them the power to pull shit like this!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

flameaway

I try to respect everyone unless I am given a clear reason not to and then I still try to treat people as I want to be treated 9do not always succeed)

You said thanks for my respecting your position and choice, do you have the same respect for my position? I hope so but that is also your choice.

I have reached a level of maturity (some people call it advanced age) where tennis and golf, biking andhiking are the only sports/activities that I participate in but I enjoy watching most sports (too many according to my wife) of all types though I have had a hard time getting my mid around the X Games with my grandson.

I am not defending professional sports (not sure they need defending) since it is not my place or desire to do so - I think movies, video games etc are exploitive of our society because of the ridiculous costs to the public and the salaries that those making them receive but I still watch a movie now and then and buy video games for my grand son

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    11 years ago

Downtown Detroit ? When you get pro hockey players afraid to venture into an area it does speak to the lack of wisdom of such a venue .

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Petey

And there is that

Good one

Smile.gif

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

barb

I think you are stretching the point a little far

The arena should not be publicly funded, but when there is a game or a show people are employed, taxes are being paid, suppliers are providing goods and contributions are being made to the economy and people of Detroit.

The reality is that there are going to be professional sports, college sports, circuses, concerts etc and the local bars and bowling alleys are not big enough to host those events so the fact that the arena will be in the city and will contribute to its economy

I am no fan of professional athletes or their exorbitant salaries and the same goes for the Hollywood elite paid millions to appear in a movie but I still watch the movies as do millions of others

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

flameaway

And I will the same way about your opinions

JoAnne Odel
Freshman Silent
link   JoAnne Odel    11 years ago

shovel ready, no doubt

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

flameaway

That is an excellent question!

I feel the same way about national parks,museums etc

JoAnne Odel
Freshman Silent

bread and circus; hockey and foodstamps

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

flameaway

That last little shot is why you are annoying and your comments largely irritating and irrelevant

People try to discuss issues but you are more interested in trying to be cute and pithy

Well enjoy playing with yourself going forward as I will not be replying to your input

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
link   FLYNAVY1    11 years ago

Years ago I lived in Wisconsin when they couldn't find $70 million to renovate schools, but could find $560 million for the then new Brewers stadium. Our state senator at the time George Petak, ran and got elected on him promising to say no to Racine County (adjacent to Milwaukee county) helping to pay for the stadium. The then governor Tommy Thompson got him to change his vote, and some months later we had a recall vote on Petak, and threw him out of office.

In short..... Sports are sexy and get money. Public schools..... well, they have seen their funding cut for decades.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

BadFish

You are awarded two smiley faces for that one

Grin.gif Grin.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    11 years ago

"So should we do away with professional sports and other activities that occur at these arenas..."

What's wrong with the existing arena?

Is a NEWER arena more important in a bankrupt city than using the money to build a new facility that would draw tourists and make Detroit a more pleasant place to live?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    11 years ago

Well, hey, if a bankrupt city like Detroit has 444 million bucks and nothing better to do with it, what the hell - go for it. If I were a creditor I would damn well try to get that money. However, if the money is being put up by sponsors then Detroit has no claim on it and neither would the creditors.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    11 years ago

Here's an amazing video-- about some of really positive things that some people are doing to help improve Detroit! I was surprised, I had no idea some of this was going on. It really changed my view of what's happening there: Why Detroit, Why Now?

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

barb

Perhaps it is time for a national boycott of professional sports.

And with Russia giving Snowdon sanctuary, perhaps skipping the Olympics in Russia is appropriate as well.

And the amount of money that Tom Hanks, Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise, Michael Moore, Alec Baldwin and others in Hollywood make are certainly obscene so a boycott of movies also seems appropriate.

It would be an interesting experiment to have all of the Detroit professional sports teams to play all of their games on the road for a year to see if it creates a positive effect on the city's economy. And for that same year, no shows, concerts, auto races should be held in the city either.

At the end of the year an evaluation of whether the elimination of those activities had a positive effect on the city could be analyzed.

Of course the lost jobs and tourist revenues would also be factored into the calculaiton

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

barb

I could go for that and you need to take not account all the jobs created by the sports franchises at the arenas and stadiums, in local hotels and restaurants frequented by the tourists and all the associated sales of memorabilia in stores and those associated jobs

Take away the sales tax, property tax, payroll tax, income tax and other assorted fees that the franchises and facilities generate.

I would agree that the cities should not be involved in funding the teams or the arenas I said that a while back.

The teams and the city should sink or swim on their own and go bankrupt if they cannot

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Barb

I think we agree

Let the city of Detroit proceed into bankruptcy and when or if the professional sports franchises run out of money to pay their obligations then they too should go into bankruptcy as well

JoAnne Odel
Freshman Silent

they need someplace to be if the power goes out.

Krishna
Professor Expert

bread and circus; hockey and foodstamps

Bacon and eggs! Beans and rice! Love and marriage! Horse and carriage!

Ralph and Alice?

Krishna
Professor Expert

So if the public paid for the stadium, why do they have to pay to get in?

Its quite simple, actually.

If the public pays for it during construction...eventuallyb construction is over.

But expenses don't stop there....

There are always ongoing costs after its completed...maintenane, salaries of people who work there, etc....

(Although some people don't want "the people" to pay for it. Instead, they want "the government" to pay for it, so "the people" don't have to.....LOL!24.gif )