╌>

Whole Foods Market Is Still Smoking

Category:  Stock Market & Investments

Via:  the-irascible-harry-krishner  •  12 years ago  •  14 comments

Whole Foods Market Is Still Smoking

9396_discussions.png?width=600 Normally food stocks are pretty boring but the exception is Whole Foods Market ( WFM Investors in this stock have seen a total return of over 90% over the last 5 years. Whole Foods now has 300+ locations but the company thinks there is room in the US for at least 1,000. Even now the stock has climbed an additional 7.28% in just the last month (Cont'd) )

[Full Disclosure: I own shares of WFM]

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    12 years ago

Whole Foods Market, Inc. engages in the ownership and operation of natural and organic food supermarkets. The company offers produce, seafood, grocery, meat and poultry, bakery, prepared foods and catering, coffee and tea, nutritional supplements, and vitamins. It also provides specialty products, such as beer, wine, and cheese; body care and educational products, such as books; and floral, pet, and household products. As of May 2, 2012, the company had 324 stores in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. Whole Foods Market, Inc. was founded in 1978 and is headquartered in Austin, Texas. ( Yahoo Finance profile )

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    12 years ago

It's an interesting stock, Krish. But right now, it's too high to buy. I really feel that it hasbasicallymaxed out.

Krishna
Professor Expert

It's an interesting stock, Krish. But right now, it's too high to buy. I really feel that it hasbasicallymaxed out.

I agree-- its relly gone up too much to buy now. And anyway, I think the market is risky now-- I think things are going to get pretty bad...even a great company like WFM will move down somewhat when the overall market does.

I wanted to but some WFM, but because its had a big move I did buy some, but only a little. I bought it right before they announced earnings (at $82 and change). Earnings were great-- it popped up to about 90, stayed there a while then started moving down with the overall market.

I expect the market as a whole as well as WFM to decline more-- I want to buy more of this on a pullback.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Well, they got me today. $110 on 4 bags of groceries! Dang! Eating healthy is expensive (but cheaper than going to the doctor).

Oh, and still jucing and loving it!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

I guess it comes down to this:

• You are what you eat
  • The bottom line.

Krishna
Professor Expert

$110 on 4 bags of groceries!

In the early days of Whole Foods, people often referred to it as "Whole Paycheck" :-)

Krishna
Professor Expert

I guess that Democrat/Pro-Obama boycott of Whole Foods didn't have too much traction.

I think it was mainly all talk-- I didn't see any evidence of it. And the company just reported earnings- they had a blowout quarter!

Whole Foods Market Inc.'s shares hit fresh trading highs Thursday after the natural and organic grocery chain reported another strong quarter and raised its full-year outlook.

THE SPARK: Whole Foods reported after the market closed Thursday that its profit jumped nearly 31 percent on stronger sales to beat market expectations .

The company raised its full-year outlook . It now expects to earn $2.44 to $2.47 per share for the year, which is above the $2.34 that analysts polled by FactSet had anticipated. ( Link )

Debby Sunshine
Freshman Silent
link   Debby Sunshine    12 years ago

If there is still room for 1,000 more locations then I think it will still be a good investment. The community of people who follow a vegan diet is growing rapidly and Whole Foods is a "go-to" store. I think I am personally responsible for investors seeing that 90% return because I have been shopping there forever!!!!

veganamericanprincess.com

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    12 years ago

Hi Debbie and nice to make youracquaintance!

Great site you have there and will bereferringto it for the awesomerecipes(not a princess but that's ok-LOL).

Btw, D'Wayne has a number of very good articles on this very subject, The Vegan Chronicles: Recipes and Ideas. The Gift of Sharing being his latest. Between D'Wayne, Krishna, and Perrie I've gained a lot of knowledge.

Your expertise would is most welcome!

Debby Sunshine
Freshman Silent

Hi Larry!!! Thanks for checking out my site!!! You need not be a princess to enjoy it!!! I will definitely check out D'Wayne's articles!!! Namaste!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Hey Deb,

Nice to see you posting! BTW Great Site. You had an excellent programmer, LOL! Everyone should visit it!

But seriously, great recipesthere! You and D'Wayne should have a good exchange between the two sites.

Debby Sunshine
Freshman Silent

My programmer was the best!!! D'Wayne may become my "food soulmate"!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

You two are meant for each other!6.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert

If there is still room for 1,000 more locations then I think it will still be a good investment. The community of people who follow a vegan diet is growing rapidly and Whole Foods is a "go-to" store.

I believe there are already some 310 or so stores, and their goal is to have 1000. In additoin to the U.S., they also have stores in Britain and Canada.

And there is plenty of room for more than one store in many cities:

This will be the supermarket chains eighth New York City location, and will make the Big Apple home to the largest cluster of Whole Food stores. Chicago comes in at a close second with six locations

For example I believe they are opening a second store in Memphis, and soon there will be four in the Minneapolis area :
Minneapolis (February 8, 2012) Whole Foods Market (Nasdaq: WFM), the worlds leading natural and organic foods supermarket, confirmed today that a new location is planned in the Twin Cities area. The 38,000 square foot store, located in downtown Minneapolis, comes on the heels of the companys third store opening in Minnetonka in October 2011 and its fourth store slated to open in Edina April 18, 2012.
An there would seem to be even more opportunities in Britain and other overseas locations....