╌>

Why Conservative Lawmakers are Threatened by Women Who Are Comfortable with their Sexuality

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  ambivalent  •  9 years ago  •  17 comments

Why Conservative Lawmakers are Threatened by Women Who Are Comfortable with their Sexuality

The so-called 'war on women' is not a war; it’s a one-sided assault. It is conservative men, drunk on power, calling women sluts and then rolling up their sleeves and knocking us  back into place . It is conservative men letting us know that they own our bodies and reproductive capacity, which according to the Bible have been theirs since the  Iron Age . It is conservative men making damned sure women get punished for failing to keep our legs together, for daring to pursue intimacy and sexual pleasure on our own terms and without their permission. It is conservative men ignoring our pleas that we don’t want to be pregnant and denying us the ability to resist impregnation as deliberately and aggressively as if they had our arms pinned. 

If that’s not an assault, I don’t know what is. 

http://www.alternet.org/why-conservative-lawmakers-are-deeply-threatened-women-comfortable-their-sexuality?akid=13606.239391.cSMPD6&rd=1&src=newsletter1044760&t=8

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    9 years ago

I am not a conservative or anti-woman, at all. Abortion laws in the U.S. are a compromise that acknowledges political, and even scientific,  reality. 

I am not impressed by the article though. This is what I think they mean when they say "feminazi". There are always going to be a LOT of people who do not agree with abortion as birth control. Whether they are right or wrong is an opinion , about which the truth of is probably above all our pay grade ability to understand. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

Gee, the last time we had this conversation, someone on NT called these women sluts, whores, and all kinds of other nasty names.  

Funny, isn't it, that the men who fathered these children are held up as an example of virility and manliness?

Funny, isn't it, that the men who called these women such names could not, or would not, listen to reason, when it comes down to the life of the mother?

This entire issue is fraught with nastiness, and I hesitate to dip a toe into the waters...  It's been a pretty peaceful day, all in all, and I really hate to become embroiled in a discussion with such men.  Suffice it to say, I've had it with them.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    9 years ago

My wife and I are unable to have children born to us, so we instead have adopted and fostered kids throughout most of our married life; our opposition to abortion is deeply subjective and personal. We completely understand why abortion is chosen in many circumstances; abortion as a form of birth control though is something else entirely. We have no desire to assault anyone's rights nor would we; man or woman, born or unborn.

J Martin
Freshman Silent
link   J Martin    9 years ago

I tend very much to agree with the author of the opening post, and find the repeated use of "abortion as birth control" misleading at best and disingenuous at worst.  The percentage of abortions which can be called a method of "birth control" must be negligible at most.  Far better methods of birth control exist -- which prevent sperm and egg from meeting.  It's called contraception.  Abortions sometimes occur when contraception fails, very rarely otherwise.  

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    9 years ago

Here are some women who are too comfortable with their sexuality : They ended up being the undoing of a Democratic pol from NY State named Eliot Spitzer . Oh well , small loss ...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Petey Coober   9 years ago

You are nearing the world record for being off topic. Keep it going !

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

Your perception of "off topic" is affected badly by your being dropped on your head as an infant ... but I'm not complaining .

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    9 years ago

Kinder, Kirche, Kuchen... 

Barefoot and pregnant... 

There are a lot of precedents.

The reality is that women's rights in 2015 are probably the most advanced in human history. Some people cannot accept the idea that previously subservient persons become their equals. So, sadly but inevitably, some people will do everything in their power to "put women back in the place where they belong".

Rights must be won... and then defended...