╌>

Leah Remini: Scientologists Can't Criticize Tom Cruise

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  community  •  9 years ago  •  8 comments

Leah Remini: Scientologists Can't Criticize Tom Cruise

(Newser) – Leah Remini famously left the Church of Scientology, and in a new interview with ABC News , she seems to imply Tom Cruise may have been part of the reason why. "Being critical of Tom Cruise is being critical of Scientology itself ... you are evil," she says in a promo clip that ends, of course, just before she answers the question, "If you knew that Tom Cruise was watching this, what would you say to him?" You can, presumably, find out her answer when the interview airs on 20/20 Friday at 10pm EDT.

Remini, who did the interview to promote her new memoir, Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology , also discusses growing up in the church, which her family joined when she was young. "As time goes on, you start to lose touch with the real world. The mindset becomes 'us against them,'" she says. "The decision to leave is you are giving up everything you have ever known and everything you have worked for your whole life. I feel that people need to understand this has been my whole life. I want them to understand how it happens."

http://www.newser.com/story/215036/leah-remini-scientologists-cant-criticize-tom-cruise.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=earthlink&utm_campaign=rss_gossip

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    9 years ago

I wasn't sure if I should have posted this under religion or entertainment. I mean it is about entertainment, but it's also about a religious cult and there is nothing entertaining about that.

Apparently Tom Cruise is off limits to say anything negative about. So I can only retort; 'Fuck You, Tom Cruise!'

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    9 years ago

I saw the program tonight, and thought it was pretty much a waste of time. Billed, I thought, as some sort of expose of Scientology, it was much more a parade of Leah Remini's personal grievances about the cult. More gossip than anything else. There was virtually nothing in this show about what Scientology believes and why it is all a scam. 

A lot about how Leah was put down by church officials over the course of 30 years. Why the hell didn't she just leave those nutcases ? Her mother was a church member too. Oh, that explains everything. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

it was much more a parade of Leah Remini's personal grievances about the cult.

Galileo's complaints about the Catholic church were likewise personal grievances ... ones with a major philosophical issue behind them . I guess you're OK with what happened to Galileo . No big surprise !

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Petey Coober   9 years ago

At least the events that triggered Remini's complaints occurred within the last four centuries. 

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro    9 years ago

As the most alien touched of all the scientologists, I can see why Tom Cruise is untouchable. Mess with him and you mess with the interdimensional alien overlords. Cant have that.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 years ago

Leah has her own magical mystery tour through religion, so I am not sure if what she says can be trusted. That being said, scientology does require a tin hat to believe in it.  

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   9 years ago

I'll second that. How they get people to believe the fantasy story of how the world began amazes me. Well, then again compared to many of the others, it doesn't amaze all that much.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    9 years ago

True religion is about losing yourself.  Scientology is about exalting the individual. They tell the suckers, er , members, that they are changing the world.