Via:  the-irascible-harry-krishner  •  9 years ago  •  11 comments

Relationships-- Then and Now

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    9 years ago

How have societies values changed in recent years?

Why?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

That is so sweet!  My grandparents were 6 months shy of being together 65 years, when my dear Grandma passed away.  They were still in love with one another-- and were very happy together.  

Grandma always told me, that she had married a "straight stick".  I think she meant that she had married a good man of integrity.  Grandpa was exactly a man of integrity, kindness, and "heart".  Grandpa told me that he had taken one look at my Grandma, whose little feet didn't reach the floor of the buggy, and knew that she was the one for him!  They were very special people, both of them.

They lived through a lot together-- WWI, the death of their first child at 8 years of age, the miracle of my mother's birth when Grandma was 39.5, (a miracle in 1930), The Great Depression, WWII, Korea, numerous boom times and bad times.  Yet they always had each other.  

Maybe that is one of the keys-- being there for each other.  chuckle

Arch-Man
Freshman Silent
link   Arch-Man    9 years ago

We like to think that relationships were better back then but I don't believe so because people are basically the same.  With the technology today we are just more informed of the failures.   

J Martin
Freshman Silent
link   J Martin    9 years ago

I've been with my partner for 20 years, two fifths of my life. 

But that hardly makes me a poster child for the conventionally "normal," since we're both men ... and we're both polyamorous (google it). 

J Martin
Freshman Silent
link   J Martin    9 years ago

PS - Oh, and I keep trying to find another partner. And I date routinely. But nothing ever seems to come of it. Sadly.  (I just had my heart broken -- again.)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

Taking into consideration the caption for the article's photo, I think that nowadays people don't fix what's broken, nor do they just throw it away. They trade it in on a new model. I know I did.

Arch-Man
Freshman Silent
link   Arch-Man    9 years ago

Shame on you Buzz...haha praying dude   But I have to say you did well.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    9 years ago

I think that today's "serial polygamy" is mores catching up with longevity. Monogamy was fine when life expectancy was 30 years. 

The change has come in stages. First, divorce became acceptable. Then marriage was no longer perceived as necessarily for life. Finally, marriage is a temporary state. Fifteen years, to raise a clutch, and then move on. 

Maintaining a marriage (or unmarried but permanent couple) takes effort... for a motive that is unclear. I don't know if it is the wisest course for the species. 

That said, I have been married to the same woman for 38 years. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson   9 years ago

I was married to my first wife for 34 years, which was not exactly a flash in the pan. My present (second) wife and I have been married for almost 8 years, and we're both very happy together. I don't think of that as "serial polygamy" although when I hear of people who marry (or change partners) 5 or 6 times I do have to wonder.

In order to goad a certain NT member into calling me an Islamophobe, there are some who have 4 or 5 wives at the same time:

"Say Cheeeeeeese!"

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   9 years ago

I think we need to reconsider polygamy. 

Other than post-Jesus "Christian strictures"... why should there not be multiple marriages? 

I kinda wonder if the trauma for children of divorced/recomposed families isn't a good argument for just letting families recompose on the fly.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson   9 years ago

China has just done away with the one-child policy which has been in effect for 30 years. It did reduce the normal population increase but they've finally realized what's it's going to cost due to the aging population and not enough working-taxpaying class to support the expense.  Now they will allow a couple to have 2 children.  Due to the old policy, males outnumber females by a considerable percentage, so there is a thought (though I doubt it is that serious) that a marriage with 2 husbands might be permitted.