╌>

American Politics: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Category:  Scattershooting,Ramblings & Life

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  8 years ago  •  5 comments

American Politics: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

American Politics – Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

smith.jpg

Now that the World Series is over, and I’m really happy to see that the Cubs won it, it’s time to get back to the next most important thing on the agenda. Most of you know I love watching classic movies, and in so many cases I’m able to say that reality follows fiction, or life imitates art, but sadly life doesn’t follow the story in that movie. If you’ve not seen it, seen Jimmy Stewart as Jefferson Smith, a naive, HONEST man and his fight against the political sewer, you should watch it now, and hopefully you’ve not yet voted before you watch it.

Jefferson Smith, a simple honest man so impressed by the Lincoln Memorial, so venerating “Honest Abe” and the words he spoke, so trusting of his senior Senator who he didn’t realize had been bought by the political machine, was then given a taste of what it’s like to oppose that machine.

It was a long time, more than a century, for the Cubs to take the pennant, and I’m afraid it will be a long time, hopefully a lot less than a century, before (and borrowing their mottos) America is great again, and Americans are stronger together. Watch the movie, then vote, as in every Democracy, it is a privilege you should be proud of, one you must take advantage of, because you do not ever want to lose it.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

As a Canadian, having lived most of my life in a Democracy, and part of my life in a Communist country, I think I can be a little more objective about the American election than most.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    8 years ago

Trump is the modern day Mr. Smith but getting to Washington is not an easy battle these days. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

Obviously it requires a lot of money.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

...and corruption.

Moonchild63
Freshman Silent
link   Moonchild63    8 years ago

Perhaps regarding Canadian viewpoint on American elections, I'LL take your word for it, yet as the Gold Star father stated

"Some people need to read the Constitution" yes, I paraphrase, wax poetic yadda

as to money 💵 in politics NEVER-ENDING!

The grift, lobbyist, power brokers & public service positions could spark Nevada prostitute 'envy,' I will not touch Rump being 'Jefferson' bait LOL

That caricature can be found in a delightful 'Cartoon Classic'

"The Biker Mice from Mars!" & its FUNNY cuz it's TRUE 😂

I loved it the story, the acting & actors & like 'Born Yesterday' the black & white cinematography lends itself to the ambiance 🎆 love the review & HAPPY for the Cubs (not a big baseball ⚾ fan though)