╌>

Photographer visits lost Mongolian tribe, captures stunning photos of their life and culture

Category:  Anthropology & Archeology

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  15 comments

Photographer visits lost Mongolian tribe, captures stunning photos of their life and culture

Human civilization has come a long way since the early days of our species. Rising out of caves and undeveloped lands, humans have built cities and homes that the early generations could never have imagined.

The widespread growth of globalization has made it harder for historic cultures to be preserved. This is what makes the Dukha people of Mongolia so fascinating and amazing. The nomadic tribe has lived in the same region for centuries. During that time, they developed a special relationship with the wild animals. In fact, this relationship is so amazing it will leave you in awe.

Fortunately for us, photographer Hamid Sardar-Afkhami recently visited this lost tribe and documented what he saw through a series of stunning photographs.

Please  SHARE  the Dukha tribe’s culture with your friends and family.

Through their unique culture, the Dukha people have developed a unique relationship with neighboring reindeer. They use them as means of transportation over the treacherous terrain they call home.

~LINK~

mongolia_reindeer_tribe_1.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    8 years ago

mongolia_reindeer_tribe_6.jpg

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

If any part of nature excites our pity, it is for ourselves we grieve, for there is eternal health and beauty. We get only transient and partial glimpses of the beauty of the world. Standing at the right angle, we are dazzled by the colors of the rainbow in colorless ice. From the right point of view, every storm and every drop in it is a rainbow. Beauty and music are not mere traits and exceptions. They are the rule and character. It is the exception that we see and hear.

Henry David Thoreau

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Thoreau is one of my favorites … although, when I visited Walden Pond, I found it to be rather mundane (my expectations thought it to be otherwise).

Still, the feeling regarding Thoreau's former presence did not disappoint; possibly what bothered me was the presence of two young women sun-bathing on a blanket on the pond bank.

Intellectually sacred places should, IMO, be treated as such.

My two cents.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

It would spoil the mood for me, too!  I would expect it to be more of a nature sanctuary...  Not a sun bathing place!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

You can get smarter on NT...but stay away from the political bitch slapping contests on the FP.

Wonderful article and photos, Larry...

''The Dukha believe that we have a spiritual connection with all animals''.....sound familiar Larry.

All Indian tribes believe that they have a spiritual connection with all animals.

The ability to live, train and work with reindeer, wolves and golden eagles is something that our modern world could not do if their life depended on it. To them, killing these creatures seems to be the ultimate goal of modern (using the term loosely) man.

In Wildness is the Preservation of the World...Henry David Thoreau

Gakina Awiiya (we are all related)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

Thank you for posting this Larry. I don't live as far from Mongolia as you do, and I hope that one day I can visit at least the ethnic tribes that populate Inner Mongolia, which lies just to the south of Mongolia.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

I've read everything that I can find on Mongolia and it's people, including the Great Kahn.

A very interesting history. It was in reading some of these books that I understood the real meaning of the Japanese word, Banzai...''Divine Wind'' which was used when the invasion of Japan by the Mongols took place. A turning point in the history of Japan.

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
link   Uptownchick    8 years ago

Amazingly beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing Larry.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    8 years ago

$2.00 a day - OMG.  Be interesting if a fund was set up from donations for the Tribe.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

Hulusi flute.jpg I showed my sons these pictures, as he is fascinated with Mongolia, and he loved them, too!  Thank you so much for posting them!!!

He told me that the relationship between the reindeer and the people is very harmonious-- the people use them as transportation, but don't think of them as a "food", unless they are starving.  Sort of like how people treat their dogs.  I would never eat my dogs, any more than I would eat my son, but other people might.

My son just bought a Hulusi, a really neat musical instrument, from Yunnan province.  (Far from Mongolia, sort of just north of Vietnam).  It sounds a lot like an oboe, to me, but could be used to charm snakes...  

We've gone from the moose blats of the French horn to the squirrelly snaky noises and bleeps of the Hunusi!  winking

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Just in case anyone wants to know, it is made of a Hulu gourd, with bamboo pipes.  Cost about $45 on Amazon.  Well worth it!  It doesn't take a lot of wind to blow!!!

However, it came with no instructions or musical ranges, and we're losing our minds trying to figure it out...

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

How to play a Hulusi 

Maybe this will be helpful Dowser.  I really like that instrument.  I may order one myself, like I need another instrument, but learning to play it and the sound it makes is so interesting.  I can imagine.  That girl can play very well.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Thank you!!!  Rockhound is coming home today in about an hour and I will show the video to him!!!

Thanks!!!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend Larry Hampton: Most interesting/.

Thanks for posting.

Happy Healthy 2017 to you and yours.

Enoch.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

Think you Larry for this article.  It's amazing the people we have on this earth who are so far removed from the terrible things that happen today in what we call the civilized world.

I think they seem to have it right.