╌>

Meet The 'Sioux Chef' Rediscovering Native American Cuisine

Category:  Wine & Food

Via:  jwc2blue  •  8 years ago  •  40 comments

Meet The 'Sioux Chef' Rediscovering Native American Cuisine

http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2016/11/22/sioux-chef

Chef Sean Sherman is revitalizing Native American cuisine for modern times. (Courtesy The Sioux Chef)

What comes to mind when you think of food native to the U.S.? For many people it's soda, hamburgers and hot dogs.

But think back further to a time when Native Americans were the country's sole inhabitants, and there was no European influence on food.

Here & Now 's Robin Young speaks with Sean Sherman  ( @the_sioux_chef ), the "Sioux Chef," about rediscovering Native American food and introducing it to the world.

Here are two of Sherman's recipes:

Maple Glazed Roasted Acorn Squash With Toasted Pepitas

Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients

• 1 medium acorn squash, seeded and sliced, skin on
  • 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup, warmed
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, rough chopped
  • 1/4 cup pepitas (toasted pumpkin seeds)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Place squash sliced into a bowl and drizzle with oil. Season with maple, salt, and sage and gently toss together.
  3. Roast squash for 35 to 40 minutes occasionally tossing around, gently, to avoid sticking.
  4. Seven to 10 minutes before roasting is complete, brush a small amount of maple syrup over each piece of squash and finish roasting.
  5. Place in serving platter and sprinkle with toasted pepitas.
Cedar boughs, which are used to prepare Sherman's cedar-maple tea. (Courtesy The Sioux Chef)

Cedar-Maple Tea

Ingredients

• 4 cups (loosely packed) fresh cedar boughs (rinsed)
  • 1 gallon water
  • 1 cup maple syrup

Instructions

1. Place all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
  2. Strain and serve hot or cool and serve over ice.

Related:

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Good stuff, to bad there isn't a transcript.

There are a number of NA resturants being opened across the country.

An interesting note regarding NA foods is with the number of tribes though out the country, the way and what types of food are prepared variy greatly. The Sioux type and preparation of food will be quite different than say the Navajo of the SW.

Good article, thanks.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

One of the better NA cookbooks is entitled ''Native Harvests''...Lot's of great receipts in it.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

I would love to try some of these!  

I tried to make my own roasted pumpkin seeds once...  Followed the directions, etc., but could never get the seeds out of the casings...  I used pliers, etc, and couldn't get them out.  Thankfully, the birds liked them.  winking

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend JWC2Blue: At the Long House wherr4e the Iroquois Confederacy occurred they hold an annual festival commemorating the important historical event.

Always served is the Three Sisters Stew.

Yellow (summer) squash, snap beans and corn are the staples. Other veggies, fruits and meats are added as available and to taste. Same for spices.

Corn takes out more nitrogen than it put back in the soil.

Beans leave more in than take out.

Squash is a push.

Plant the three together and they protect each other from natural predators. 

In proximity they regulate how much or little sun and moisture each plant needs and gets.

Every new planting season the cycle is ready to renew, as the nitrogen and other soil contents are the same as the previous year, due to crop planting in sets by Native American ways.

Most of what we know of foods in North America we owe to the Native populations culinary traditions.

They know what to grow and raise.

They also learned of time what to do with it.

How to make it all sustainable and healthy for us.

Respect the land.

It will provide for us.

Enoch.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Try this receipt jwc.

VENISON WILD RICE MEATLOAF

Unlike most commercial farming today where animals are raised under intense pressure to pack on the pounds as quickly as possible (often times with the help of  steroids and growth hormones), whitetail deer live a more free and natural life without any hormones, additives or antibiotics added. They live and grow in a  wild environment munching on leaves  berries, new shoot twigs, nuts,  grass & other natural food.

INGREDIENTS                                                                                                       

• 2 pounds ground venison picture2.png?w=232&h=169https://glitcsnap.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/picture2.png?w=464&h=338 464w, 150w, 300w" alt="Picture2" width="232" height="169" data-attachment-id="298" data-permalink="https://glitcsnap.wordpress.com/2015/02/12/venison-wild-rice-meatloaf/picture2-2/" data-orig-file="https://glitcsnap.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/picture2.png" data-orig-size="938,681" data-comments-opened="1" data-image-meta="{"aperture":"0","credit":"","camera":"","caption":"","created_timestamp":"0","copyright":"","focal_length":"0","iso":"0","shutter_speed":"0","title":"","orientation":"0"}" data-image-title="Picture2" data-image-description="" data-medium-file="https://glitcsnap.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/picture2.png?w=232&h=169" data-large-file="https://glitcsnap.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/picture2.png?w=523">
  • 1 cup carrot (finely chopped)
  • 1 cup onion (finely chopped)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups wild rice (cooked)

Tomato Jam Sauce

• 1 jar (18 oz) orange marmalade
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes

DIRECTIONS 

1. Preheat oven to 375° F.   Spray a 8 1/2” x 4 1/2” loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine venison, carrot, onion, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt. Whisk eggs together and add to meat mixture. Mix well. Once combined, add cooked wild rice to mixture and mix well.
  3. Press mixture into the greased loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.   Remove from oven and drain liquid and skim away any fat. Before serving, top with tomato jam sauce (see next step for recipe).
  4. For tomato jam sauce: in a small sauce pan, combine 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 18 oz jar of orange marmalade. Bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and set aside.

Per serving (1 slice meatloaf with 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato jam – makes 10 servings):   292 calories, 8 grams total fat (4 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat), 33 grams carbohydrate, 23 grams protein, 365 milligrams sodium, 2 grams fiber.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

This looks much like the Cherokee Venison meatloaf I tried when I lived in Pawhuska OK many years ago. It was truly delicious. I was only 9 y/o at the time and had never had any native foods before. My Mother fell in love with it, as did my Father, so she got the recipe and fixed it for our family any times after that when we could get fresh Venison. But, somewhere along the line over the years and many moves, her recipe book got lost. I myself when I got older tried to recreate the meatloaf from memory and a few other recipes that I found, but, it just never tasted the same.

I will save the recipe you have posted and give it a try when I can find some fresh Venison. Other meats just don't come close to the taste of Venison.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

This is one of our family favorites, Cherokee Corn Pie. While you can use other meats, it tastes best with Venison. My Mother learned to make this dish from the Grandmother (oldest woman of the Tribe) on the nearby Cherokee Reservation when we lived in Pawhuska OK. Luckily, it was such a staple  she made this dish often and was able to remember the recipe even after her cookbook was lost and wrote it down for me. It has now been passed on to my Granddaughter to pass on to her family.

INGREDIENTS:

Serves 6 (for more than six, increase recipe for each additional 6 people and baking time)

2       -   lbs. ground hamburger (optional) (other meats can also be used)

1       -   small can tomato sauce (8 oz.)

½       -  stick of butter (or margarine)

1        -  14-15 oz. can stewed tomatoes  (do not drain) (if you like it spicy, use RoTel)

1        -  15-16 oz. can whole kernel corn (do not drain)

1        -  large white onion – diced small

1        -  large can medium or large pitted black olives – optional (drain off all juice)

2        -  cups yellow corn meal

1        -  tsp. garlic salt

1        -  tsp. onion salt

2        -  tbs. chili powder

1        -  tsp. ground black pepper

Shredded longhorn or Colby cheese (enough to cover the top or to your liking)

1        -  9x13 rectangular baking dish or med. size casserole dish

PREPARATIONS:

In a large skillet, crumble hamburger (or other meat) and brown until done. Set aside.

1. Melt butter (margarine) in skillet.  When melted, pour canned corn into skillet.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Let cook until all the fluid is gone and corn is sort of caramelized but not hard.

2.       Add finely diced onions, garlic salt, onion salt, chili powder and black pepper.

2.       Simmer until onions are clear.

4.       Add tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, and corn meal.

5.       Add olives and mix until well blended and no lumps, then pour into baking dish.

6.       Place in 375 preheated oven for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out rather clean.

7.       Remove from oven and spread shredded cheese evenly over the top.

8.       Return pan to oven and let continue to bake until cheese is fully melted and lightly    browned. Do Not Burn.

9.       Remove from oven and let stand for at least 15 minutes to set up before serving.

Serves 6 people, medium servings.  Serve with steamed tortillas, frybread or crackers if desired.  For larger servings, just double recipe.

Variations/Substitutions:

If you prefer to use garlic powder or onion powder, cut amount in half (i.e., ½ tsp.).

You may add cilantro, parsley or celery to your liking. Hot peppers may also be added to your liking.  White pepper may be used in place or black pepper. You can use venison, chicken, pork or wild game as well.

(This is one of my mother’s favorite recipes.  Everyone she has fixed this dish for has wanted her recipe.   It is easy and simple to make dish, but it makes a lasting impression on those who can’t get enough).

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

Dear Friend and Esteemed Writing Partner Raven Wing: Makes my mouth water just to read about it. 

The history of Native Americans is best understood by the history of corn (maize).

Many Native American historians so opine.

Great contribution.

Thanks.

Peace and Abundant Blessings to You and Yours Always.

Enoch.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Dearest Friend Enoch,

Indeed corn is a staple among a great many Native American Tribes. The Cherokee have always been good farmers and grew much of their vegetables. They had an abundance of berries and herbs from the surrounding mountains and forests as well. Mother Earth provided most of what they needed to exist. Venison was one of their staple meats when in season so many of their dishes were made using the Venison. Other meats were used as well, but, Venison has its own unique taste and seems to truly lift the spirit.

Fry Bread has always been a staple in our house and even though most of the time it is just me to cook for, I still love to make the Fry Bread. It too, really lifts the spirit., and goes with most everything. For those who have never seen it, here is a picture of Cherokee Fry Bread that I made the other day.

Cherokee fry bread1.jpg

Enoch
Masters Quiet

Dear Friend Raven Wing: Fry bread, Sassafrass or other local plant teas; and wild blueberries are a delicacy at the Long House here too.

Mother Earth does provide for us.

We humans need to learn and better apply the sustainable ways of Native Americans to return that glorious favor.

Enoch.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Mother Earth is the best "Organic" farmer there is. I had a large vegetable garden most of my adult life, and made my own jams and jellies from fresh berries I picked in the local mountains. I am not one for a lot of sugar, and when the berries and fruit are nicely ripe, there is little need to add sugar. I hate to cover up the natural flavor of fruit with added sugar. Even a bit of bitterness is good for the soul, and adds life to your taste buds. (smile)

Enoch
Masters Quiet

Dear Friend Raven Wing: I totally agree.

Foods have their own natural tastes.

Better to enjoy than mask them.

Many thanks.

E.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Dear Friend Kavika: Wow does that look good!

A must try.

Many thanks.

E.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

It is DDDD licious

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I'mma gonna make it tonight!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

This sounds delicious!  I would never have come up with the idea of putting orange marmalade with the tomato sauce-- but I think it would be wonderful!  Thanks for the recipe!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Now you've found out another of our secrets Dowser...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

thumbs up

Food secrets are always good!  Not cultural secrets, but food secrets!  winking

Kavika
Professor Principal

LOL, good one Dowser.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Dear Friend Dowser: I heard a cultural secret that is so classified even the one who told me about it never heard it. 

Clandestinely Yours,

Enoch (Disappearing into a crowd wearing a glow in the dark orange zoot suit).

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

LOL, dear Enoch!  thumbs up

Kavika
Professor Principal

Good one Secret Agent 00.0001