╌>

About the Trump Twitter Feed

Category:  meta

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  86 comments

About the Trump Twitter Feed

I posted the the Trump feed because I felt is was relevant news. This is the first president to be, that has decided to communicate with the citizens of this country through twitter. I know that this is not the traditional way to communicate, but it is the modern way. He is obviously doing two things; by passing the media and reaching out to a younger demographics. 

But since I have posted it, I have had some objections. 

I am not going to put words into anyone's mouth, but I would like some feedback on this. 

Please note, any nasty or off topic comments will be removed immediately. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

What? Now no one has an opinion?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I like it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

OK!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I like it too. Makes it easier to keep up with the rambling stupidities that flow out of his mind like so much bullshit.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Perrie, as I have mentioned to you privately, I think that section gives the view of NT and all its Members as being a Trump supporter site to first time viewers to NT. Given the strong opinions on both sides of the political spectrum, it can be a big turn off, or turn on, to those who come to NT as potential Members.

It can also be a turn off to those Members who are not Trump supporters.

Even if Trump is the first President to use Twitter, it does not, in my opinion, speak well of the President of the USA, since much of what Trump posts on Twitter is a lot of ugly, hateful rhetoric and derogatory comments that are unworthy for any President or worthy of reading.

Since coming back to NT at Perrie's request to take over the Cat group for Stephi Cantley, this is my first comment on the FP, and unless a topic is related to this site, my last. Feel free to throw all the stones you like at this comment. Having exercised my right to speak my mind on this topic, I will not respond further.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

Hi Raven,

First of all, you are allowed to express your feelings. 

Second, I don't know if you noticed, but I took it down last night. I am running an experiment. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

Congrats on getting your way against the wishes of the majority of us here.  I bow to youeekthumbs down

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Wow, wasn't that a snarky, passive aggressive remark. Instead of assuming XX, ask.  I didn't remove it for any other reason than a contractual one. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I'm not fond of Trump, more resigned to him than anything else.  That being said, you made a good point that this is how he is going to communicate with us, so we had better have a news feed that tells us what he is saying.  I mean, at the worst, we'll likely see some cringe-worthy moments, at the best, we can have a good laugh-- or go into complete panic mode.  Most of the time, i read his twitter feed and think, "You really don't mean that, do you?"  But, of course, he does.  I think his own mouth is going to get him in a lot of trouble.

I don't look at it that much.  So, it doesn't really bother me all that much, either.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Dowser,

A moderate and balanced response. Thanks!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

My opinion is that Donald Trump should stop using twitter because he is embarrassing this country every time he opens his mouth or types something. 

As for NT, the area used for the Trump feed on the front page is almost the size of the area used to promote original articles. Make of it what you will. 

I have Trump twitter as a browser bookmark, so this doesnt bother me one way or the other. 

Goodbye. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

It is the same size as the AP feed that no one paid attention to and in the same place. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Do we mean we traded the most accurate and respected news outlet on the planet for the biggest liar and blowhard in America?  Sounds like we got gypped. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Do we mean we traded the most accurate and respected news outlet on the planet for the biggest liar and blowhard in America?  Sounds like we got gypped. 

No one ever used it, including you. I was hoping that this would at least stir discussion either pro or con. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

My vote about trumps twitter feed is that it is your decision.

I have no personal opinion about it. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

I don't have a problem with it but think the space would be better served expanding the small box in the middle of the page with general forums where all the activity is.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Dean,

I don't understand what you mean in a small box. It would have to go under all of the forum stuff like the activity feed. And what would go in it's place? The AP feed again.?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

It think this area of the front page should be larger.

Screen Shot 20170113 at 12.42.47 PM.png

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Larger in what way? Wider? How would that help? Or do you mean that the box should be longer so you could see more without scrolling so much?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Yes to display more of the current activity. Longer and wider. It's just my opinion and I think you do a great job. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Hi Dean,

I am unclear to the benefit of making it wider, but longer I can see. I will investigate. 

And thank you for your kind words! :)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

You can see a lot of comments at once on the Newest Comment tab...  It sort of seems to me as if we already have this feature...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Maybe what I need to do is update the how to use videos for the members?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

That may help, if people will watch them!  

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

In my opinion anything that promotes one party coupled with the majority of articles that are anti Barrack Obama and anti Democrat gives the forum an appearance of being a right wing community.  If that's the overall objective then I think it will most likely attract the intended audience.  

Another thing to consider is the timing.  There is still much angst here from members over President Elect Trump so it may not help heal some of the bad feelings that have surfaced.  What could offset what some may consider an unevenness of representation would be to add a prominent Democratic leader's twitter.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I can see your POV PJ. The site was meant as a non partisan site, representing the full spectrum of political views.

I agree about the timing, yet the reality of the situation is that Trump will be our President in less than 10 days. I like your idea of featuring another twitter feed to balance out Trumps. I am open to ideas as to who's that should be? The minority whip maybe? 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

That would be great, if he tweets!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    7 years ago

I think the Trump Twitter feed is fabulous.  His own words show what a creep and a coward he is.  What better way to convince the masses of his long list of character flaws and short-comings. 

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon    7 years ago

The less we see of Trump the better. That being said, I say keep the feed, to remind some of the more realistically challenged of those around here to see the trees, regardless how thick the forest may be made to seem, so to speak.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

From the feed:

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

...dwindling subscribers and readers.They got me wrong right from the beginning and still have not changed course, and never will. DISHONEST

Actually I think it's because more people are getting you right...

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

You forgot to post the first part of it. 

13h 13 hours ago
Donald J. Trump  ‏ @realDonaldTrump
Thr coverage about me in the @nytimes and the @washingtonpost gas been so false and angry that the times actually apologized to its.....

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

I stand (sit?) corrected. My apologies.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

Where's Trumps tweets! I want to see him explode because his AG lied under oath and even Republicans are calling for a Special Prosecutor! I want to see his head explode and him to try to blame someone else! Party

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

"I know that this is not the traditional way to communicate, but it is the modern way. He is obviously doing two things; by passing the media and reaching out to a younger demographics."

Trump's twitter feed is essentially state run propaganda. Although having it up did not bother me, I think it is very easy to make the argument that it is pure propaganda.

Trump himself does not compose many of the tweets, which are put out by his communications staff.

What is the difference between Trump's tweets and say Obama's, who also had twitter?

What is that old saying "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand" ?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Perrie, I just went to Home, to check out the page, and noticed that there was all kinds of news there, where the Trump twitter feed was located.  So, I was just noticing it for the first time.  I like it better.  We are a news site, and feeds for general news, to me, is more in keeping with what we're about.   There were several articles that interested me, too.  Things that I necessarily wouldn't have easily found, otherwise.  So, thumbs up  on the change.

That being said, if everyone wants the twitter feed back, I'll deal with it like I have been-- by ignoring it. So thanks for asking us!  Hope you have a great day!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago
yet again lefties who act like a forbidden weather element complain and righties state their opposing opinion and the forbidden weather element prevails.  We want the Trump twitter feed back or at least a fair and balanced newsfeed including Fox News or Newsmax.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

I like the new Reuters feed replacing the Twit in Chief Tweeter Tweets.

They reminded me of Tweety Bird on drugs.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Me too. I don't think Reuters is fake news.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Fine.  I seeded the Trump Twitter feed to the front page so we can all see it daily there.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

You'll have to reseed it everyday and it will be one of the five you're allowed per day.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

That may be the way it will be.  Then If anyone comments on the prior day one we could have multiple trump Twitter feeds on the front page at one time.  I read above from the boss that there was some contractual issue.  I wish it had been stated that way instead of playing with our minds about an experiment or making it seem as if we had some say in the outcome.  Had I known it was a contractual issue up front, I likely would have posted nothing here.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

You should have asked before assuming, and for the record, it has been gone for 2 days now and you only just noticed. That's how often any of these feeds are used. 

Also I am not the boss. I am the RA, which means I just keep things flowing here according to the CoC and pay the bills. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    7 years ago

A few points:

1. As to the argument its propaganda-- how is it propaganda any more than when you turn on TV and go to MSNBC and watch him speaking live? Or even when a news channel shows clips of him giving a speech--or a portion of an interview he's had? In all those cases he's also presenting his views. 

2. If people are worried that having Trump's Twitter feed will make this site look pro-Trump to people seeing it for the first time, why not put up 2 feeds: Trump, and a prominent Democrat. Pelosi's Twitter feed or Schumer's . . or even Obama's. So-- both sides of the aisle are represented.  

3. Can't you control the amount of room it takes up on the page? Maybe have those two feeds but give them only a small portion of the front page...???? Have them be available, but not too conspicuous.

(Or even just have a small box with links to click to, say, 4 or 6 twitter feeds of importance? People who want to see them would hve easy access to them, but others won't have to see them if they din't want to)

P.S: Personally I don't care if Trump's Twitter feed is here or not. And in any event, this site has much more important issues-- for example, the constant nasty (& really childish) personal attacks that have become so common here lately. (If I were a perspective user seeing this site for the first time, that would turn me off much more than any politician's feed).

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

2. If people are worried that having Trump's Twitter feed will make this site look pro-Trump to people seeing it for the first time, why not put up 2 feeds: Trump, and a prominent Democrat. Pelosi's Twitter feed or Schumer's . . or even Obama's. So-- both sides of the aisle are represented. 

Excellent idea!