╌>

If you could own any famous painting in the world, which one would it be?

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  34 comments

fighting.jpg

The Fighting Temeraire  (JMW Turner 1838)

I know that once before I posted a similar article, but perhaps many here did not see it, or if they did, did not take the opportunity to contribute to it, and since it will provide a break from the Trump obsession, I decided to do it again.

My personal choice is based upon my experiences that originated when I was in university, having majored in English Literature. I was prompted by John Ruskin's essays about the brilliance of the works of J.M.W.Turner, whose pre-impressionist paintings became my favourite artworks.  Ruskin, who was an art critic, was enthralled by the works of Turner, contrasting them with another English painter of the era, William Constable, whose almost photographic life-like paintings, did not impress him. When I was in London I made it my business to go to both the Tate and National Galleries to see his original works, as most of them are in those two galleries. Whenever I would go to another major city I would try to go to its major art gallery to seek out if they had an original Turner on display. He is categorized as a Romanticist, but was criticized for being too modern.  However, later on the French Impressionists were influenced by his works and their style closely resembles that of Turner.

My favourite painting of all time is Turner's The Fighting Temeraire, which in my opinion, does not only depict an actual event, but displays the emotion of the end of usefulness, as the great multi-masted sailing ship is towed into harbour by a steam-driven tugboat. It indicates the sunset of an era - depicted by the sunset sky.  It helped to underscore my choice when I read a few years ago that a poll of the English people chose that painting as their favourite of all time.

The story of the painting in Wikipedia:

The Fighting Temeraire tugged to her last berth to be broken up, 1838 is an oil painting by the English artist Joseph Mallord William Turner. It was painted in 1838 and exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1839.[1] The 98-gun ship HMS Temeraire was one of the last second-rate ships of the line to have played a distinguished role in the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. The painting depicts HMS Temeraire being towed by a paddle-wheel steam tug towards its final berth in Rotherhithe in south-east London in 1838 to be broken up for scrap. The painting hangs in the National Gallery, London, having been bequeathed to the nation by the artist in 1851. In 2005 it was voted the nation's favourite painting in a poll organised by BBC Radio 4's Today programme.[2]

There are two things that I took into consideration here. Not only is the painting one that I would mount on my wall so that I could look at it often and allow it to "Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship"* , but it is an object that will not only retain but probably increase in value as time goes on.  Please post (just one, if possible) your choice of famous painting - the image if you can, and an explanation of why you chose it.

*Mr. Tambourine Man (Bob Dylan) 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Since I posted this article at about midnight in the Eastern USA, I wonder if it will be wiped off the front page before most NT members get to see it.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

TheStarryNight.jpg

With no hesitation.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Is that the one called "Starry Skies"?  Why did you choose that painting, Randy?

(Whenever I see or hear the words "starry skies" I think of The DaVinci Code.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

To tell the truth I'm not sure. There is just something about it he draws me to it and makes me want to look at it constantly. If I owned it I would put it in my family room because that is where I spend most of my time and I could see it always. I just lose myself in it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Actually it's called "The Starry Night".  Van Gogh painted a number of pictures with stars like that.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oxHnRfhDmrk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

This song says what I wish I could say about why Van Gogh was and still is my favorite artist of all.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I love that painting too, Randy. What is really interesting about it, is how much canvas is showing. You can't tell that from the photo's.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I haven't seen the real one in person, but I love the way the free form representation of the stars and the sky contrasts with the much more detail in the village below, but they seem to fit together completely, like if he painted one without the other it wouldn't work. I also seem to notice more about it every time I look at it. Like I've never really seen the whole thing and am always looking for more.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

My uncle, who had fought as a soldier in the International Brigade during the Spanish Civil War, and went on as a soldier in the Canadian army to fight the Nazis in Holland loved Holland, and on my 13th birthday he gave me a beautiful coffee-table type book of Van Gogh paintings and life story. I have it with me now, as it has always been special to me.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

sunday_in_the_park1.jpg

In 1879 Georges Seurat enlisted as a soldier in the French army and was back home by 1880. Later, he ran a small painter’s studio in Paris, and in 1883 showed his work publicly for the first time. The following year, Seurat began to work on  La Grande Jatte  and exhibited the painting in the spring of 1886 with the  Impressionists . [2]  With  La Grande Jatte , Seurat was immediately acknowledged as the leader of a new and rebellious form of Impressionism called  Neo-Impressionism . [3]

Seurat spent more than two years painting  A Sunday Afternoon , [4]  focusing meticulously on the landscape  of the park. He reworked the original and completed numerous preliminary drawings and oil sketches. He sat in the park, creating numerous sketches of the various figures in order to perfect their form. He concentrated on issues of colour, light, and  form . The painting is approximately 2 by 3 meters (7 by 10 feet) in size.

Inspired by  optical  effects and  perception  inherent in the color theories of  Michel Eugène Chevreul Ogden Rood  and others, Seurat adapted this scientific research to his painting. [5] Seurat contrasted miniature dots or small brushstrokes of colors that when unified optically in the human eye were perceived as a single shade or hue. He believed that this form of painting, called  divisionism  at the time but now known as  pointillism , would make the colors more brilliant and powerful than standard brushstrokes. The use of dots of almost uniform size came in the second year of his work on the painting, 1885–86. To make the experience of the painting even more vivid, he surrounded it with a frame of painted dots, which in turn he enclosed with a pure white, wooden frame, which is how the painting is exhibited today at the  Art Institute of Chicago .

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

John, I have to ask you the same question I asked Randy. Why did you choose that painting?  For some reason I couldn't open the one you posted so in case anyone else can't, I'm trying to post it again here:

painting JR.jpeg

You're lucky to be able to see the original in Chicago.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

The problem is my internet server or my computer, because now your picture showed up and I can't delete the one I posted of it.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I think that it's more widespread Buzz.  Either that or it's a problem with John's computer or ISP because it wouldn't show up on my screen either.  From the one that did post (yours), I really like it, mostly because I like all Impressionist paintings, although my preference is for the earlier ones with a touch of Realism in them.  A combination of the two schools makes a more interesting work.

Ah, the one on John's post did finally come up.  It seems to be a cleaner version than the one you posted.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

Yes, Rock. The one I posted is not as sharp or clear. The one John posted clearly indicates that "dotted" technique, but if the painting is 7 feet by 10 feet, those little dots would not be so little.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

The painting is huge , which makes it epic. Two years to complete one painting. And I like the way it looks. I like paintings with people in them more than landscapes. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Okay. It's a great painting - very highly praised. It's so huge - where in your house could you put it?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

I think I'd take the Sistine Chapel ceiling. 

ccd037643bf1fc0d0d2296126baa2e71.jpg

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Have you seen it in real life, Dean?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

No I haven't just the Charlton Heston movie. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

The reason I asked is because when I saw it in real life, I was a bit disappointed. In my head, the famous painting of god imparting life to man, was much smaller than I expected. I had the same reaction when I saw the Mona Lisa though.  

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Great film!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

I actually paint ( a little known fact about me). So for me, when I look at a painting I am looking for the use of color and mood and technical skills. My taste in paintings are vast, so I will post a few that I really love. 

Image result for magritte empire of lights

Empire of Lights

I love Rene Magritte, for his imagination and the how he made us think about what we were looking at. He is also the first artist to be be used in modern commercial art. His influence is seen everywhere, even today. Look at the comparison below:

Image result for magritte empire of lights

That painting next to Magritte's is from the billboard for the Exorcist. 

Image result for Monet

I love Monet's colors and soft brush strokes. I also loved that he liked to study how daylight changed what we saw. 

Image result for Monet

Same painting later that day. 

A more modern version of Monet is David Hockney. He liked to study the effects of light on water.

Finally I would add Georgia O'Keeffe

Image result for Georgia O'Keeffe barn

She had an amazing grasp of color and form to make amazing compositions. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I am also a big fan of Monet, for many of the same reasons I love Van Gogh. As for my wife it's Georgia O'Keeffe. She says she was one of the most sensual artists of all time and I can't help but agree. In many of her works there is a halfhidden-eroticism peeking through.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Lately I've been having the problem of the comments I make disappearing - so I will try to replicate it here. (It could be, of course, my just forgetting to "post your comment" or else too impatient to wait to see that it finally does post.
Anyway, here goes...

I believe you posted that photo (Magritte) on my previous similar article, and at the time I think I said, as I do now, that I like it as well. In fact I find Empire of Light to be quite entrancing.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

Any Maxfield Parrish work !

Ecstasy_1929.jpg
maxfieldparrish_daybreak1922.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

"Daybreak" (the one on the right) and "Garden of Allah" were the two Maxfield Parrish prints that we had hanging in our dining room in Toronto.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

My favorite artist is a guy named Josh Agle who goes by the name Shag. 

IMG_0394.JPG IMG_0395.JPG IMG_0396.JPG IMG_0397.JPG

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

All of those are unique and compellingly interesting, Dean. Good choice.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

I think I would add to my collection a version of Peter Max's Statue of Liberty and American Flag (he's done several of both) such as these. If I could afford the originals that is. :-)

Peter_Max_American_Flag_With_Heart_1990_35x28.jpg

Peter_Max_Statue_of_Liberty_Unique_2001_39x19.jpg