Disagreeing With Democrats Is Now Considered Un-American

xxjefferson51
By:  @xxjefferson51, 6 months ago
Comments: 251 ..

Tags

Patriotism: Democrats have become so fond of attacking Republicans and their policies as "un-American" that we wouldn't be surprised if they call for a congressional committee to investigate them. It wouldn't be the first time Democrats have done so.

Although wrongly attached to Republican Sen. Joe McCarthy, the House Committee on Un-American Activities (also known as HUAC) was entirely a Democratic creation.

The committee got its start in 1938, when Democrats outnumbered Republicans in the House by a margin of 334 to 88. And over the course of HUAC's entire 37-year existence, Republicans controlled the House — and chaired the committee — for all of four years. Whatever sins HUAC allegedly committed were done so almost entirely under the committee's Democratic leadership.

Of course, "un-American" for the purposes of that committee's investigations meant actually doing things in service of the nation's enemies, whether it was the Nazis in World War II or the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

These days, however, all that's required to be called un-American by a Democrat is to disagree with their liberal world view.

Sen. Charles Schumer can barely get through an interview without calling one Trump policy or another un-American. When he heard that the administration was considering using 100,000 National Guard troops to round up illegal immigrants, he called it "one of the most un-American things that would happen in the last century." (It turns out that such a plan was never under consideration.)

When Trump signed an executive order suspending visa applications from terror-prone countries, Schumer called it un-American. When Trump revised that order, Schumer said "it is still un-American."

League of Women Voters declared that the House Republicans' ObamaCare replacement plan — which retains most of ObamaCare's rules and regulations — "is un-American."

The New York Times ran a piece suggesting that talk of a "deep state" that is trying to undermine the Trump administration was un-American.

Last fall, the Huffington Post ran a piece arguing that the entire Republican platform "is well, downright un-American."

At the Academy Awards, Casey Affleck used his acceptance speech to say that "the policies of this administration are abhorrent and … they're really un-American."

Even abiding by the law these days is un-American, apparently.

The ACLU charged that Trump's plan to enforce an existing immigration law — one written by congressional Democrats and signed by a Democratic president — is an "un-American dream."

Bloomberg called Trump's revised executive order on visas un-American, "even if it withstands judicial scrutiny."

When Newt Gingrich suggested last summer that Congress revive the Un-America Activities Committee to target genuine domestic enemies of the U.S. — in this case radical Islamic extremists — the left freaked, and declared that this, too, was un-America.

Criticizing the press has also become un-American — if you happen to be in the Trump administration, that is.

CNN's Jake Tapper lobbed the charge against the entire White House staff recently, saying "this White House does not seem to value an independent press. There is a word for that line of thinking. The word is un-American."

NBC's Chuck Todd said, in response to Trump's criticism of a biased news media, that "delegitimizing the press is un-American."

Trump and company have, unfortunately, joined this game as well. Trump tweeted that leaking intelligence information to the press was "very un-American." White House aide Sebastian Gorka called objections to a Trump plan to highlight crimes committed by illegals "un-American."

So let's back to basics. Accusing someone of being un-American simply because you disagree with their views on an issue destroys the true meaning of the term "un-American." And that, we'd dare to say, is not the American way. http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/disagreeing-with-democrats-is-now-considered-un-american/
Flagging unavailable
jrDiscussion

Redding Shasta Jefferson USA
link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA    6 months ago

Democrats and progressives think it un American to disagree with them and their extremist world view. Patriotic real Americans must stand up to their bullying.  

Khah T` Khah
link   Khah T` Khah  replied to  Redding Shasta Jefferson USA   6 months ago

That is so evident here on NT.  mention one thing conservative and the liberals attack enforce.

XX your next for them to try and get banned.

Dowser
link   Dowser  replied to  Khah T` Khah   6 months ago

Gunny, you have hurled this accusation at me, personally, before.  And yet, XX is still here.

Fact: no one member can get another one banned.  It doesn't work that way.  The only banning from the site occurs with a history of bad behavior, after several suspensions, and is up to Perrie, not any one of us, or even a group of us.

No one wants to ban XX.  Even me, when I'm personally ticked that he continually accuses me of lying.  I do not lie on this site.  Basically, I'm not smart enough to keep up with a bunch of lies.  I have proven XX's accusations to be wrong, and will continue to do so.  But, I do not want him banned for his accusations.  Got it?  Nor does anyone else that I know of.

Khah T` Khah
link   Khah T` Khah  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

I did not hurl this accusation at any one. and especially not at you.  I am simply speaking my mind. and that is what this site is about. my comment is in line with the topic of this article.

Dowser

I'm sorry, dear friend, but you did.  You accused me of getting XX banned from the site, when he was on vacation for a few days.  You may not remember it, but it happened.

Speak your mind, Gunny-- that's what the site is here for.  I am not insulted that you were misinformed.  But, I would like to nip it, in the bud, that any ONE of us can get someone else banned.  That doesn't happen.

Khah T` Khah

That is one thing I do not remember. But if you say so then I apologize.  But I see the writing on the wall about XX, not you as you cannot ban anyone.  But I can see and read comments that are click bait to get some one to say something that they can be banned for, and it usually the liberals, but not always that cause the banning to happen. I see the stalkers and who they stalk and I see the comments that incite.  An yes no one reports them that is their right. But I still see it.  I'm quite capable of deciphering intent here from the liberals.  Many here think I am crazy.  Maybe I am but also I may be too crazy for them to know who I really am.  I don't kiss ass and I don't stop speaking my mind and if they don't like it tuff shit. they got the same panties to get glad in as I do.  But I will continue to speak my mind about the lieberals here.  And yes that is spelled exactly as I wanted it.  

I do not paint with a broad brush and you know that.  There are some liberals here that I like you are one. and there are some conservatives that I do not like so you can't say that I am bias towards conservatives or liberals.  

I see the things that go on here on NT. and like I have said before it is getting to be another NV.

Thus in keeping on topic I have to agree with this article.

Dowser

Saying this as a member:  Please don't think I'm mad at you, because I'm not.  I love you very much, as my friend-- (tell your darling wife that it is as a friend...)  I cannot ban anyone, and it takes responses from the own person's mouth to lead to a suspension.  No one can make someone else be snarky, we all have a responsibility to not be.  Sometimes, we're all goaded into saying things in ways we wish we hadn't.  That's human nature-- and it happens on both sides of the aisle.  

Take care, dear friend!

Khah T` Khah

Let me put it this way, Dowser.... the hate filled liberals here, not you, know how to push buttons, they live on the internet and learn what they can get away with and what will get others to bite their bait.  Some of us can take their crap and throw it back and some snap and say things they really don't want to say.  that is the way of these liberal trolls and stalkers.

I shall give that love to the wife for ya. You take care and do not over do it. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Khah T` Khah   6 months ago

OK for XX's info... None of the mods are trying to get you banned. Very little will do that. You would have to threaten someone and you don't seem the type. Btw, I am saying this to you despite the comments I read from you to me. What you might not know, is that I considered BF a close friend, and what happened here yesterday was one of the crumbiest moments for me. 

Khah T` Khah
link   Khah T` Khah  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   6 months ago

I shall repeat myself is bold caps I HAVE NEVER SAID ANY MOD WAS TRYING TO BAN XX. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.

OK then we are good, Gene. 

A. Macarthur
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   6 months ago

What you might not know, is that I considered BF a close friend, and what happened here yesterday was one of the crumbiest moments for me. 

I am not aware of what happened yesterday … please bring me up to date.

Randy
link   Randy  replied to  A. Macarthur   6 months ago

BF threatened Kavika and was banned permanently. Perrie can give you the details better, but that's the Readers Digest version.

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   6 months ago

I never said anything I can recall  about anyone in charge trying to ban me here.  I know there are a handful of progressives that wish it would happen.  Not sure what I might have said to you personally that would make us at odds other than seeing Texas singled out for education scores when liberal California's was virtually the same.  

Krishna
link   Krishna  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

No one wants to ban XX.  Even me, when I'm personally ticked that he continually accuses me of lying.  I do not lie on this site.

One of the things that encourages bad behaviour on any site is when users know...that they can get away with it! Its that simple.

That there will indeed be consequences for behaviour such as personal attacks. (For example, accusing a person of being a liar-- when its clear they are not). There should be consequences for that...every time it happens.

IMO the first offense should automatically result in a one day suspension. The second offense, a longer suspension-- maybe 3 or 4 days. Etc. 

As far as I'm concerned, that is a clear cut case of "dejas vu all over again". On any site, there will always be a few individuals who will "test" the policies. "Tot the line". "Push the limits". To see what they can get away with.

So offenses such as personal attacks should be immediately "punished"-- automatic suspensions are a good start. (If that policy were to be instituted, the fequency of personal attacks and similar bullsh*t would plummet.... 

(That being said, IMNSHO, XX has not yet crossed the line that deserves a ban).

Krishna
link   Krishna  replied to  Krishna   6 months ago

IMNSHO?

Scroll down this page

Krishna
link   Krishna  replied to  Krishna   6 months ago

IMNSHO?

Scroll down this page

Randy
link   Randy  replied to  Krishna   6 months ago

Thanks! I saved that page for future use!

LUCIFER
link   LUCIFER  replied to  Krishna   6 months ago

"That there will indeed be consequences for behaviour such as personal attacks. (For example, accusing a person of being a liar-- when its clear they are not). There should be consequences for that...every time it happens."

On NV I was accused by a member for having been a liar because of a point I had made. If I was in fact incorrect with that point it was not because I lied, it was because I was repeating something wrong due to my being misinformed. Lying takes intention, same as a criminal act, and I deeply resented being called a liar. Although I complained, nothing was done about it, which is probably one of the reasons I left Newsvine and joined the class action lawsuit against them, with success. Perhaps it takes a certain amount of maturity, intelligence and good faith to accept that a person couild be misinformed rather than intentionally telling a lie. That member, by the way joined us on NT but rarely comments.

Consider this: If I believed black was actually white and was convinced of it and said it, am I liar or just misinformed?

Cerenkov
link   Cerenkov  replied to  LUCIFER   6 months ago

Liberals have staked out the position that says being wrong means you are a liar. They use that flawed definition constantly. It's disingenuous at best.

A. Macarthur
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Cerenkov   6 months ago

Let me educate you; making an inaccurate statement unknowingly, is stating a "falsehood" -- making a false statement knowingly and with the intent to do so, is telling a lie!

Your pronouncement is an editorial comment and a broad brush generality that cannot possibly be applied to all individuals of any demographic.

Cerenkov
link   Cerenkov  replied to  A. Macarthur   6 months ago

"Let me educate you"

Your "education" does not qualify you to educate me on any subject. 

Kavika
link   Kavika  replied to  Khah T` Khah   6 months ago

The only way someone gets banned is through their stupidity. If they can't play by the rules and get banned it's on them and their arrogance/ ignorance/stupidity.

Khah T` Khah
link   Khah T` Khah  replied to  Kavika   6 months ago

And stalkers click baiting them into making that stupid mistake.

Kavika

If the conservatives are stupid enough to fall for the so called click bait, than it show's that they really aren't that intelligent or they are arrogant enough to think that they can get away with posting a comment that is going to get them banned.

Either way it's on them, except they don't want to accept the consequences of their actions.

jwc2blue
link   jwc2blue  replied to  Kavika   6 months ago

"Personal responsibility" doesn't apply to some.

Khah T` Khah

Both of You just proved my point by you comment.

laughing dude

Kavika

Of course we did, but only in your mind, Gunny.

Khah T` Khah

And again..................laughing dudelaughing dudelaughing dude

Kavika

Brilliant discourse on your part, Gunny.

You did it again.....laughing dude

Khah T` Khah

And again......laughing dudelaughing dudelaughing dudelaughing dude

Randy
link   Randy  replied to  Khah T` Khah   6 months ago

And again! laughing dudelaughing dudelaughing dudelaughing dude

Khah T` Khah
link   Khah T` Khah  replied to  Randy   6 months ago

And again......................laughing dudelaughing dudelaughing dudelaughing dudelaughing dudelaughing dude

Perrie Halpern R.A.

Gene,

You're above comments are providing nothing, but actually doing what you claim some others here do... which is aggrivate to the point of saying something stupid. Let's all try not to do that... no matter what side of the fence we sit or straddle. 

Khah T` Khah

Typical of you. I see no reason to argue with you so you could just suspend me.  I will let your off statement go at this time.

Perrie Halpern R.A.

Gene,

Look up the thread. Both Kavika and Jwc made generic comments and you made it about them. That is what lead me to say what I said. Sorry if you feel that I was unfair. And I am not trying to get you to argue with me to suspend you. Can we just leave it at that. 

Khah T` Khah

thumbs down

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  Khah T` Khah   6 months ago
Exactly.  One was engaged in a tit for tat and the other fell for going too far.  The one that went to far actually deleted the excess and the instigator brought what he triggered back in a reposting of the deleted comment.  I will not be drawn into such an exchange in a conversation.

Kavika
link   Kavika  replied to  Redding Shasta Jefferson USA   6 months ago

Of course you won't, XX....You'll just keep posting ''click bait'' articles.

You should go back and re read the coments and see who the instigator was...I don't expect that you will cuz it's easier to point fingers than deal with facts.

LUCIFER
link   LUCIFER  replied to  Kavika   6 months ago

I don't agree that all of XX's articles are "click bait". Some may be controversial, and most would proffer opinions with which you do not agee. In fact there have been articles about his religion with which I do not agree but they are his belief and opinion, and I may provide an opposing opinion which indicates my personal belief and opinion, but I do not consider such an article to be click-bait, but a contribution to us of his personal thoughts and beliefs.  

If we all were of the same opinion on everything I would not want to bother being part of such an echo chamber. Controvery is often needed to stir our interest and exercise our brain power, and make this site worth belonging to. For that reason I feel that the posting of articles and comments that provide a different viewpoint can challenge my own thoughts and sometimes influence my opinions. Hey, not everyone does, but I usually enjoy reading BF's articles and comments because I am open-minded enough to enjoy all forms of humour, and his poking fun, and I think he adss another dimension to the site.

I hope, Perrie, that you do not consider my comment about BF to be a forbidden "calling ouit" because I meant it as a compliment, and if we are forbidden from paying each other compliments and encouagement I would disagree with it. If you DO consider it a calling out deserving a suspension, then why am I here?

LUCIFER
link   LUCIFER  replied to  LUCIFER   6 months ago

Holy sh*t. I just read over my comment and can't believe I made so many spelling mistakes. That'll teach me to proofread before I post.

jwc2blue
link   jwc2blue  replied to  Redding Shasta Jefferson USA   6 months ago

The threat was made, deleted or not.

The concept of "personal responsibility" is something right wingers love to use as an answer for unwanted pregnancies, low paying jobs, lousy health insurance.. Pretty much everything but their own behavior.

Khah T` Khah
link   Khah T` Khah  replied to  Redding Shasta Jefferson USA   6 months ago

And they are going for it again, XX. the liberal hate is there.

Kavika

Not hate at all, more like poking fun of members that are unable to comprehend their own blindness. laughing dude

Khah T` Khah

Those that call other blind cannot see their own hatred.

jwc2blue
link   jwc2blue  replied to  Khah T` Khah   6 months ago

Yeah, here's your white cane. But I think your dog took the opportunity to leave.

Randy
link   Randy  replied to  jwc2blue   6 months ago

But I think your dog took the opportunity to leave.

And don't forget, you still have to clean up the shit he left on the floor!

Khah T` Khah
link   Khah T` Khah  replied to  jwc2blue   6 months ago

Hey squid mail clerk you are one to talk, how many times now have you been vacationed for you snark and nasty mouth. You just another liberal troll.

Randy

how many times now have you been vacationed for you snark and nasty mouth.

If you're talking to me, I believe it's never happened. Or at least I don't remember it ever happening and I've been on NT almost since it started a long time ago and have and known Perrie since Newsvine more then 10 years ago. I don't think she's ever suspended me? Of course I could be wrong.

Khah T` Khah

No not you Randy.  I think you know whom I am referring to.

jwc2blue

Those that call other blind cannot see their own hatred

Kavika

Here are a pair of glasses to help you see your own hatred, Gunny.laughing dude

glasses1.jpg

Khah T` Khah

I know my hatreds and I did not let politics get in the way of friendship. and my mothers maiden name is still BUNDY?

As you know I already wear glasses the better to see the hatred from you and the other liberals on this site that hate anything conservative.

Kavika

My mothers maiden name is St. Paul, what does that have anything to do with it.

Sorry Gunny, but your the one full of hate....deal with it. 

Khah T` Khah

No you are the one that ended our relationship because of the wife's stance on the Bundy deal and that I told you that my mothers maiden name was Bundy and that was at the timeof the Bundy ranch fiasco.  Talk about short term memory loss or is it age.

Kavika

What the heck difference does it make if you mothers name was Bundy...Man, you better get a better grip on reality.

As far as the Bundy's go, both the Nevada and Oregon. It only proved that they are anarchist's and deserve to be in prison.

Khah T` Khah

No you need to cause as soon as that statement was made we both seen the change in your face and attitude after lunch was over with.  look in the mirror and see all that hate for me and the wife because we disagreed on the Bundy ranch deal.  We both made the statement at the same time that you did not like those facts. that we saw that change.

So you get a grip on yourself and realize what hate you have in your heart.

Kavika
(deleted)

jwc2blue
link   jwc2blue  replied to  Kavika   6 months ago

Glasses won't help. He needs an EZ-out.

Randy

WD-40

Khah T` Khah

Use that for fishing.

Khah T` Khah

You need a new life. but then again being a postal clerk is kinda fitting for you.

PS:  by y'all attacking me so many times and by all of you you are just proving that anything conservative is UN_American according to the liberals, Dowser is the exception. And all I can do is laugh at you for being so ignorant.

Perrie Halpern R.A.

OMG!!! All of you!! Stop being obnoxious to each other. Any further comments meant to inflame this will be removed. Look at my time signature. 

sixpick
link   sixpick  replied to  Khah T` Khah   6 months ago

I've found it to be the case with me quite often, especially lately, when I post a comment and want to make a change in it by updating it, after updating it, the comment is exactly like it was before I updated it.  So I refresh the screen and the comment is still exactly like it was before I updated it.  Then I update it again and it is still just like it was before I updated it.  I find that in most cases if I leave the comment and go somewhere else on the site if I come back to my comment later it has actually updated.

The site is not perfect and sometimes it is the site and sometimes it is the browser being used, but whatever the case I think Badfish should be given another chance here on this site.  I know how it feels to be banned from a site as I was banned from NV for no reason other than being ganged up on by 3 members who were going to get me banned.  I highly suspect on of them was a moderator.  I don't know what Badfish did, but unless it was a threat to someone's life and not just exposing the job title of a person, which was done to him last year, I believe, then if whoever was threatened was not harmed by this threat had a heart he/she would request a second chance for Badfish.

sixpick
link   sixpick  replied to  sixpick   6 months ago

Thank you PJ for the first thumbs up.  I honestly was surprised to see your name, but I think it speaks highly of you, since BF was not very nice to you a number of times.

PJ
link   PJ  replied to  sixpick   6 months ago

My thumbs up was just me keeping track of which posts I've read.  hehehehehe........ just kidding chuckle

I would first like to say that I have a great respect for the individual BF offended/threatened.   

You're right, there is no love loss between me and BF.  Frankly, I don't know how much weight that a lying adulterous whore can offer or whether a ban can be reversed or not......I'll leave that up to those who can make that decision but I have no problem with it being lifted if the person offended/threatened agreed.

Randy
link   Randy  replied to  sixpick   6 months ago

I find if I do a correction and it hasn't corrected, that if I go back to correction to the box where I can make changes (and the corrected version that I want pops up) and then hit correct and then back again if the post does not correct and do this several times it corrects the post. I think that we need more time to do corrections. I don't know how much we are getting now, but it feels like about 15 or 30 seconds.

LUCIFER
link   LUCIFER  replied to  sixpick   6 months ago

"I've found it to be the case with me quite often, especially lately, when I post a comment and want to make a change in it by updating it, after updating it, the comment is exactly like it was before I updated it.  So I refresh the screen and the comment is still exactly like it was before I updated it.  Then I update it again and it is still just like it was before I updated it.  I find that in most cases if I leave the comment and go somewhere else on the site if I come back to my comment later it has actually updated."

The exact same thing happens to me.  It's just one of the weird glitches that happens on this site from time to time.

"The site is not perfect and sometimes it is the site and sometimes it is the browser being used, but whatever the case I think Badfish should be given another chance here on this site.  I know how it feels to be banned from a site as I was banned from NV for no reason other than being ganged up on by 3 members who were going to get me banned.  I highly suspect on of them was a moderator.  I don't know what Badfish did, but unless it was a threat to someone's life and not just exposing the job title of a person, which was done to him last year, I believe, then if whoever was threatened was not harmed by this threat had a heart he/she would request a second chance for Badfish."

Since BF deleted the comment before it became permanent or was criticized by anyone at the time for it, obviously he had second thoughts and realized it should not have been posted. Because of that I would not have held it against him or used it as a cause to ban or punish him. I would have been satisfied that he had caught himself from making that error and although he could have been scolded for it, it would have been wrong IMO to have banned him.  The danger in this site is that because certain glitches that happen, I have found that sometimes I could not delete or amend what I had written even when it was within the time limit to do so, because although the amend/delete icons show up, when running the cursor over them they disappear, making them unusable.

Dowser
link   Dowser  replied to  LUCIFER   6 months ago

I make a lot of comments that I don't post.  On second, or even 3rd reading, they're just not right somehow...  From what I understand, not having seen BF's comment, the only appropriate response for Perrie, our Resident Advisor, was to ban him from the site.  It hurt her to do it, as she and BF are personal friends.  This "free the fish" stuff is not helping her.  It just makes her feel worse, when she followed the CoC that we are all aware of and can read, below.

Y'all all complain about moderation.  Try to be a moderator for a few weeks.  Read that CoC carefully, because there is a lot in it.  BF made a threat against another member.  If that same threat had been applied to him, he would have had a fit to ban the member that made it.  All of us say things sometimes that we wish we hadn't.  The key is to not say them in the first place.  To my knowledge he never said sorry for it, nor said he wished to make amends.  Maybe he has, and I'm just not aware of it.

No one member can call for the banning of another member-- it doesn't work that way.  What BF said went against the CoC and was clearly a bannable offense.  That's by the rules of the site.

Try to be a little more supportive of Perrie, who agonized over the decision.  This is not NV, it's NT.  Banning is a last resort, here.  Perrie followed the CoC-- the rules of the site.  To accuse her of a lack of integrity, while you may disagree with her decision, is pretty despicable.  We should all be grateful to Perrie, who keeps this site up and running, for our use, for free.  

Everyone take care and please chill out.

PJ
link   PJ  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

I understand Lady Dowser and I apologize.  My comments were not meant to be a criticism but to show my openness.  As far as moderating, I don't complain about the moderating because I don't expect or ask for it on my behalf.  

Dowser
link   Dowser  replied to  PJ   6 months ago

No apologies needed!

My point is that Perrie has to follow the CoC, too!  And, she did.

sixpick
link   sixpick  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

To accuse her of a lack of integrity, while you may disagree with her decision, is pretty despicable.

Where did you come up with that Dowser?

We're just speaking our minds and I know the glitches I have on this site.  I don't blame Perrie for the glitches or banning BF either.  When you post something, realize it's not what you wanted to do or shouldn't have done and have to update it over and over and then along with that refresh the screen over and over, sometimes people still get to see what you posted initially.  I don't know any more than that.  No one is blaming, or at least me, Perrie or the victim of what BF did, but we are requesting a second look at it, but it does require BF to do his part and it does require the victim to be willing to accept it and go on from there.  That's all.  Nothing more.  As I see from my initial comment not too many are in favor, haven't seen or don't care about it, I expect it will not be looked at again.

I don't know what the threat was and if I did I may feel like I could care less if BF was allowed back on this site if his threat was directed toward me.

At this point, I just wish the banning could be revisited with conditions.

Krishna
link   Krishna  replied to  Khah T` Khah   6 months ago

And stalkers click baiting them into making that stupid mistake.

I've been on the Internet a long, long time. (In fact, I started using it shortly after Al Gore invented it winking).

And not once in all those years (I believe it was decades, actually)...not once has anyone made me do anything i didn't want to do!

A. Macarthur
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Krishna   6 months ago

Al Gore is actually responsible for the Internet as we know it; it was his bill that called for the adaptation of the military's ARPNET as a public venue.

And Gore coined the term, The Information Super Highway.

All true!

Khah T` Khah
link   Khah T` Khah  replied to  A. Macarthur   6 months ago

Not really we developed the base wide net then the world net in the military simply for getting classified information to all concerned parties. using crypto equipment and materials.  Ass hole was long gone out of the military.

A. Macarthur
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Khah T` Khah   6 months ago

Not really we developed the base wide net then the world net in the military simply for getting classified information to all concerned parties. using crypto equipment and materials.  Ass hole was long gone out of the military.

Al Gore is a former US Senator who served as the Vice President of the United States from 1993 to 2001, and is co-winner of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize. In the 1980s and 1990s, he promoted legislation that funded an expansion of the ARPANET, allowing greater public access, and helping to develop the Internet.

24 Jun 1986: Albert Gore introduced S 2594 Supercomputer Network Study Act of 1986[4]

As a Senator, Gore began to craft the High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991 (commonly referred to as "The Gore Bill"[5]) after hearing the 1988 report Toward a National Research Network[6] submitted to Congress by a group chaired by UCLA professor of computer science, Leonard Kleinrock, one of the central creators of the ARPANET (the ARPANET, first deployed by Kleinrock and others in 1969, is the predecessor of the Internet).[7]

Indeed, Kleinrock would later credit both Gore and the Gore Bill as a critical moment in Internet history:

A second development occurred around this time, namely, then-Senator Al Gore, a strong and knowledgeable proponent of the Internet, promoted legislation that resulted in President George H.W Bush signing the High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991. This Act allocated $600 million for high performance computing and for the creation of the National Research and Education Network [13–14]. The NREN brought together industry, academia and government in a joint effort to accelerate the development and deployment of gigabit/sec networking.[8]

The bill was passed on Dec. 9, 1991 and led to the National Information Infrastructure (NII)[9] which Gore referred to as the "information superhighway". President George H. W. Bush predicted that the bill would help "unlock the secrets of DNA," open up foreign markets to free trade, and a promise of cooperation between government, academia, and industry.[10]

Prior to its passage, Gore discussed the basics of the bill in an article for the September 1991 issue of Scientific American entitled Scientific American presents the September 1991 Single Copy Issue: Communications, Computers, and Networks. His essay, "Infrastructure for the Global Village", commented on the lack of network access described above and argued: "Rather than holding back, the U.S. should lead by building the information infrastructure, essential if all Americans are to gain access to this transforming technology"[11] [...] "high speed networks must be built that tie together millions of computers, providing capabilities that we cannot even imagine."[12]

Khah T` Khah

We were working on the internet 10 years ahead of him. I could care less what his resume says, to many in the military he is still an asshole.

A. Macarthur

What you think of Gore does not change the reality that his bill led to the expansion of what the military developed and made it available for public use.

Cerenkov

Nope. Colleges had access to Arpanet before al-gor did anything. It's just more posturing from the carbon snake oil salesman.

A. Macarthur

Your endless right-wing bias does not change the reality as it applies to my statement on Gore and ARPANET.

I made it clear from comment one, that Gore's bill resulted ultimately in the expansion of ARPANET and its public and commercial adaptation.

To act as if you are correcting a claim I never made, and doing so in a manner that implies I either misstated or misled ... Is dishonest.

In one of the rare instances you actually try to discuss content, you do so in such a way as to attempt to negate what is real and supplant it with what is irrelevant ... at my expense.

Cerenkov

I accept your apology.I had an Arpanet email account in the 80s.

A. Macarthur

I accept your apology.I had an Arpanet email account in the 80s.

ARPANET became the technical core of what would become the Internet, and a primary tool in developing the technologies used. The early ARPANET used the Network Control Program (NCP, sometimes Network Control Protocol) rather than TCP/IP. On January 1, 1983, known as flag day, NCP on the ARPANET was replaced by the more flexible and powerful family of TCP/IP protocols, marking the start of the modern Internet.[20]

From my first comment, I made the distinction between ARPANET and the ultimate emergence of the "Internet" as well as their connection to one another.

Khah T` Khah

Gore may have gotten the bill passed, but he did not invent the internet as he claims. that is what I was getting at AMac.

as far as the military or should I say Vietnam vets think he is a traitor. testifying before congress while the war was going on and lying about some of the activities there.  Thus getting more Americans killed.  But that is another story altogether.

A. Macarthur

Gore may have gotten the bill passed, but he did not invent the internet as he claims. that is what I was getting at AMac.

Gunny, Gore never made that claim …

He DID say the following …

On September 20, 2000, the Los Angeles Times had reported that "Gore did not say he was the Internet's inventor but in 1999 he did say, 'During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.' "

The Internet as we know it … not as ARPANET … in a sense, is the result in Gore's legislative initiative. It's close, but not the claim as wrongly attributed to him.'

The information superhighway or infobahn[1][2] was a popular term used through the 1990s to refer to digital communication systems and the Internet telecommunications network. It is associated with United States Senator and later Vice-President Al Gore.[3]

Your opinion of Al Gore, to which you are entitled, is not the issue.

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  Khah T` Khah   6 months ago

Gunny; applausethumbs up

deepwaterdon
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  Redding Shasta Jefferson USA   6 months ago

XX... Now is the time, since we have Perries' attention, to make good on your threat to have me banned for life. Want the proof posted from yesterday, or do you remember? If not, man up and apologize. Or maybe at least throw a few emojies(sp) at me. Just man up and practice some of those Christian ideals you expouse.

Cerenkov
link   Cerenkov  replied to  deepwaterdon   6 months ago

Another tired derail...

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  deepwaterdon   6 months ago

No apology for you.  You should apologize to me for making the threat to speak ill of or toward my mom if I didn't say or do as you demanded.  

deepwaterdon
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  Kavika   6 months ago

100% agreement, K.

jwc2blue

Oh no! Our secret plans have been leaked! /s

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  jwc2blue   6 months ago

You have gotten yourself suspended in attempts to lure me into responding in kind to your posts.  That death wish you posted about a stone to my head and me dropping comes to mind.  

Randy

Oh no! Our secret plans have been leaked! /s

Damn it! Must have come from that camera the GOP put on our microwave at our secret headquarters.

Kavika
link   Kavika  replied to  jwc2blue   6 months ago

Oh no, Wiki leaks strikes again.

Randy
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   6 months ago

It's da Ruskis I tells ya! Da Ruskis!

LUCIFER
link   LUCIFER  replied to  Kavika   6 months ago

"Oh no, Wiki leaks strikes again."

That's cause you have to let her out more often.

sixpick
link   sixpick  replied to  LUCIFER   6 months ago

He wasn't talking about her.  He was talking about him.

LUCIFER
link   LUCIFER  replied to  sixpick   6 months ago

LOL  I know, I just couldn't stop myself from making that comment - an irresistable urge.

Khah T` Khah

It's no secret blew, you are all an open book on this subject. easy to read second grade level at the most.

jwc2blue

Wrong,  as usual.

And the last meeting of the Secular Leftist God haters and Muslim Lovers Club, we decided to go alphabetically.

X4P is last.

Don't worry, we're keeping you around for comic relief.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  jwc2blue   6 months ago

OMG!!! All of you!! Stop being obnoxious to each other. Any further comments meant to inflame this will be removed. Look at my time signature. 

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  jwc2blue   6 months ago

Who is X4P?  

A. Macarthur
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Redding Shasta Jefferson USA   6 months ago

Read the whole article before posting moronic generalities …

From the article …

Trump and company have, unfortunately, joined this game as well. Trump tweeted that leaking intelligence information to the press was "very un-American." White House aide Sebastian Gorka called objections to a Trump plan to highlight crimes committed by illegals "un-American."

The FP is just dripping with hateful, stupid crap.

lady in black
link   lady in black  replied to  Redding Shasta Jefferson USA   6 months ago

To XX:  I posted this on another article, but I will post it again. 

Dear XX, I am a middle of the road democrat, I live in Western New York and I am a gold star mom. 

So please spare me the "Patriotic real Americans must stand up to their bullying" line because it's BS. 

Here's a clue....WE ARE ALL REAL AMERICANS!!!!!

What makes you think you are more American than I am or for that matter more than anyone else on this site?

Randy
link   Randy  replied to  lady in black   6 months ago

applause Bravo! Well said!

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  lady in black   6 months ago

I've been called all sorts of things over my political, economic, and religious views by secular progressive lefties.  Then comes the faux outrage when return fire comes their way.  

lady in black
link   lady in black  replied to  Redding Shasta Jefferson USA   6 months ago

XX stills does not answer my question.  What makes you think you are more "American" than me or anyone else on this site?

Kavika
link   Kavika  replied to  lady in black   6 months ago

I've asked him that question before, and have never received a reply...Don't hold your breath waiting for him to respond.

lady in black
link   lady in black  replied to  Kavika   6 months ago

I know he won't answer.

deepwaterdon
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  lady in black   6 months ago

See above... I asked him a direct question, only minutes ago. Do not expect a response. Typical behavior.

Hal A. Lujah
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  lady in black   6 months ago

There's a question I've been asking him for years that he refuses to address.  

Randy

He sure seems to act like he thinks he is somehow a superior American and Christian compared to just about everyone else. Well I guess that officially he is a superior Christian to me since I'm an atheist. That said I think I have a higher Christ-like standard in my life then he does. Just IMHO. Many atheists are among the kindest, patriotic and most moral people I know. But they never act like they are superior to anyone. I would like to think that I don't either.

lady in black
link   lady in black  replied to  Randy   6 months ago

I"m a non practicing Catholic. 

Though when both my son and husband passed away both of their funeral masses where at my old church and they (and I will be too) are buried in a Catholic cemetery and one of the reasons why the Catholic cemetery is due to the fact that it is very close to where I live. 

Randy
link   Randy  replied to  lady in black   6 months ago

I like to tell people that I'm a recovering Catholic.Happy

Though I am an atheist and have been for many years when my father passed away he was a pretty devout Catholic, so I went through the whole thing, reciting the Rosary at the funeral home, the whole Mass, Communion, everything. I was surprised how much of it I still remembered. My wife (who is Jewish) asked me about it and I told her that I did it out of respect for him and not for myself. She was very supportive and even sat next to me trying to keep up during the reciting of the Rosary and the Mass.

LUCIFER
link   LUCIFER  replied to  lady in black   6 months ago

Here's a clue....WE ARE ALL REAL AMERICANS!!!!!

Not me. Although I am a NORTH AMERICAN. So that doesn't make me UNAMERICAN.

Cerenkov
link   Cerenkov  replied to  LUCIFER   6 months ago

And not Dreamers...

Krishna
link   Krishna  replied to  Redding Shasta Jefferson USA   6 months ago

Democrats and progressives think it un American to disagree with them and their extremist world view. 

In some cases. Its true in some instances, but not others. Its an over-generalization, and like most generalizations its symptomatic of fuzzy thinking.

As well as a good example of letting one's personal political biases hinder one's ability to think rationally.

(And similarly, you could also say that Republicans and reactionaries think it un American to disagree with them and their extremist world view. Which is also true-- in some instances).

But then-- you already knew that! (Or did you...???)

lady in black
link   lady in black    6 months ago

Pot meet kettle.....um remember the Dixie Chicks.....oh how soon we forget...if you are not with us you are against us.....Palin - the "real" america.....I could go on and on.

No Fear
link   No Fear    6 months ago

I can find many Russian comrades who are far more American than many of the left wingers we encounter nowadays. The later are simply members of the lucky sperm club.

A. Macarthur
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  No Fear   6 months ago

I can find many Russian comrades who are far more American than many of the left wingers we encounter nowadays.

And by coming to that conclusion, you are implying that Americans of the left, are …

UNAMERICAN!

And consequently … YOU ARE DOING THE VERY THING YOU ACCUSE THEM OF DOING!

th.jpg

LUCIFER
link   LUCIFER  replied to  A. Macarthur   6 months ago

Not necessarily, A.Mac. It's possible that many Russkie Comrades are more American than they are Russkies. I could give you an example from my own family where my Russian aunt and her husband who lived in Canada were more Canadian than they were Russkies. What about my uncle who joined the International brigade in Spain and then served with the Canadian army in WWII Holland?

Randy
link   Randy    6 months ago

Perhaps they should stop doing some of the un-American things mentioned above? Because many of them in the article are...

A. Macarthur
link   A. Macarthur    6 months ago

“What does religious freedom mean if we would use it as a cover for hate and privilege?” 
― DaShanne Stokes

Randy

Some people, including some on NT, wrap themselves in the flag and/or wave a bible and think that gives them leave to express their bigotry and hate because of their supposed patriotism or hypocritical faith. It does not.

Sean Treacy
link   Sean Treacy    6 months ago

its been going on all century.

PJ
link   PJ    6 months ago

X - I do not want you to be banned.  I may not like what some say, I may not like their political views and some things may hurt my feelings but I've never advocated for any member past or present to be disciplined or banned.  That's simply not who I am.  Plus, I have a funny bone and you tickle mine.    

As far as this article is concerned.....I don't agree with the overall title but do agree that there are some factions of democrats that take things to the extreme but this is the country we have now.  Right against left.  As I've said a number of times on this forum, I don't want to be forced to adopt policies and practices that I cannot morally agree with under this vulgar President and his corrupt Administration.  I'd be happy for the country to split.   

jwc2blue
link   jwc2blue  replied to  PJ   6 months ago

I may not like what some say, I may not like their political views and some things may hurt my feelings but I've never advocated for any member past or present to be disciplined or banned.

Nobody on the left has.

They simply can't admit that the personal responsibility they demand of others applies to themselves as well.

Sean Treacy
link   Sean Treacy    6 months ago

Nobody on the left has

They just use the forum to wish for people's death, brag about how good they are stalking people and advocate for the murder of innocent cops based on fake news. 

Dowser
link   Dowser  replied to  Sean Treacy   6 months ago

Sean, is this you?

broad brush painting services.jpg

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

I thought that referred to JWC, John, Kavika, and Amac.  good onewaving

Kavika

Credit where credit is due....You had a thought, XX....Applause.thumbs up

Randy

Today...March 16th...2017....at 9:12 PST...XX had a thought!

Mark this day down as it will soon be as big of a celebration as Cinco de Mayo! Bring on the Cervezas! Let's celebrate our Hispanic friends! Both legal and illegal! Ye Ha!

A. Macarthur
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Randy   6 months ago

A Requim is in order, Randy.

While It is true that XX had a thought, I am sad to report that by 3:00 AM, EDST this morning, that thought ...

... Died of loneliness.

Should he experience thoughts in the future ...

Scratch that.

What the hell was thinking?

Note: I deem it somewhat interesting, if not oxymoronic, to blame Sean and company of "broad brushing" ... 

... When it is virtually impossible to do so while having no paint.

But, I hasten to add, were they to come into possession of paint, virtually as quickly as that paint was brushed, it would dry and become ... 

FLAKE news.

Well stated don't you think?

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  A. Macarthur   6 months ago

vomitthumbs downliar

Kavika

Another brilliant response. XX must be at a loss for words which is not unusual.

A. Macarthur

Hi boys and girls, it's time for "Cartoon Corner."

And, for the grown ups, we have a discussion forum.

Cerenkov

Another insightful comment.

thumbs down

A. Macarthur

Congratulations, Cerenkov; for the longest time I didn't believe you knew what an insightful comment was ... Let alone actually making one yourself.

Who knew?

Cerenkov

What a pointless comment. You should stick with cut & painting other people's ideas.

A. Macarthur

Unlike yourself, I respect the intelligent comments of others and do not hesitate from sharing their expertise ... Another way of stating this is "sharing information that is salient and relevant to a given discussion."

When you mock people for sharing what they have discovered via the search for knowledge, you personify the biblical thing regarding the casting of pearls.

Ya' know, before that and other phrases were printed in copies of the Bible, they had to be copied/cut and pasted before going to press.

Mockery precedes understanding.

Cerenkov

laughing dude

No Fear
link   No Fear  replied to  A. Macarthur   6 months ago

Do you shout at people from your front porch?

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  No Fear   6 months ago

It's likely his union negotiating strategy.  

A. Macarthur

It's more likely that you know nothing about negotiating strategy.

And where my career has nothing to do with a given discussion, IT'S OFF TOPIC AND BORDERS ON A PERSONAL INSULT.

By the way, you and your partner in ad hominem are derailing the discussion.

The seed was derailed the instant you first appeared on it.  

A. Macarthur

The seed was derailed the instant you first appeared on it.  

You derailed it by calling viable rebuttal … a "derail'. And your friends played along.

It's a dishonest tactic and a cowardly ploy to evade real debate!

Stop doing it.

jwc2blue
link   jwc2blue  replied to  Redding Shasta Jefferson USA   6 months ago

I see you've abandoned your articles where your sorry ass has been handed to you.

A. Macarthur

Do you shout at people from your front porch?

Another empty can with nothing to say joins the font police.

I do shout at some people from my front porch … 

… but to the intentionally hard-of-hearing, I hand out bumper stickers.

Cerenkov

"...I hand out bumper stickers."

That does sound like the liberal media strategy...

A. Macarthur

"...I hand out bumper stickers."

That does sound like the liberal media strategy...

It took a little longer today for the Pee Wee Herman "rebuttal" to be used … but … we now have it.

I used to hand out books …

… but after some of you guys tore off the covers and ate the pages, I figured … "bad idea".

Keep the comments comin' boys … I like ganging up on you.*

* Gunny was correct … I can be arrogant.

And to the deserving … comes the arrogance (although it is indeed to my discredit).

It's something I just have to live with.

Cerenkov

" I can be arrogant"

If only your arrogance was justified rather than sophomoric...

A. Macarthur

" I can be arrogant"

If only your arrogance was justified rather than sophomoric...

Quit with the feigned modesty …

You earned it.

Cerenkov

And he doubles down... It would have been more effective with CAPS...

A. Macarthur

And he doubles down... It would have been more effective with CAPS...

Right! Still have nothing substantive to say …

SO YOU DO THE AD HOMINEM THING!

How's that?

Cerenkov

Pot meet kettle. Kettle is a little slow...

sixpick
link   sixpick  replied to  Sean Treacy   6 months ago

Nobody on the left has

They just use the forum to wish for people's death, brag about how good they are stalking people and advocate for the murder of innocent cops based on fake news. 

You said it all in that one statement Sean.  I was being stalked just like I saw Jefferson being stalked.  No one did anything about it and it was obvious as it could be.  I know Jefferson has lied about sending notices when he didn't.  

When he first appeared on this site there were several members who were determined to rid this site of Jefferson, but he has trudged along, just like the Trump and continues to put interesting articles on this site, some click bait and some not, but with all the fussing and criticizing he doesn't let it bother him, he keeps doing his thing.  I think that is what bothers them so much, they can't get him to break.  LOL

Randy

Disagreeing With Democrats Is Now Considered Un-American

I agree! It is NOT un-American! It's just incredibly politically wrong. Just look at the circus and the head clown in the White House now. The rest of the world is constantly swinging back and forth between laughing at us and terrified of what that dangerous mental midget compulsive liar in the oval office will do or say next. Thanks to Trump the United States of America is the laughingstock of the entire world. The rest of the world thinks America is fucking nuts because Trump has his diapered ass in the Presidents chair. It is time for Americans traveling abroad to tear their American flags back off from their backpacks and put the Canadian ones back on.

A. Macarthur

Out of deference to Perrie … who hates when these discussions turn into pissin' contests, I am about to take myself out of this one …

BUT BEFORE I DO … make no mistake … it turned into one when the seeder could not rebut counter-points, requested that such counter points be removed, then proceeded to transform the discussion into "shoot the messenger" … and his pack of (pardon the irony) "dogs" came to assist THE VERY DERAILING XX BROUGHT ON himself.

TO XX AND OTHERS WHO KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO …

The fighting words doctrine, in United States constitutional law, is a limitation to freedom of speech as protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

In 1942, the U.S. Supreme Court established the doctrine by a 9–0 decision in Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire. It held that "insulting or 'fighting words,' those that by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace" are among the "well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech the prevention and punishment of [which] … have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem."

There are certain well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech, the prevention and punishment of which have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem. These include the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous, and the insulting or "fighting words" those that by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. It has been well observed that such utterances are no essential part of any exposition of ideas, and are of such slight social value as a step to truth that any benefit that may be derived from them is clearly outweighed by the social interest in order and morality.

— Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 1942

Dowser
link   Dowser    6 months ago

You want Un-American?  I'll give you Un-American:

My husband won't eat apple pie.  It all has something to do with an aunt, during the Civil War, who was forced, at gunpoint, to fix a huge dinner for the Union Army at her home.  So, she made them some apple pies, and added rat poisoning, (arsenic), to the pie.  None of them lived through the night...

It's really sad, because it is one of the things I do fairly well-- following my Grandma's recipe.  But, he won't eat it on a bet. 

Now, THAT'S Un-American!  winking

No Fear
link   No Fear  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

If you look up un-American in the dictinonary you'll find a picture of BHO.

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  No Fear   6 months ago
You got that right.  Obama hated us so much he wanted to transform us in a way we wouldn't recognize our country anymore.  The least transparent regime ever.

A. Macarthur

If you look up un-American in the dictinonary you'll find a picture of BHO.

Hey, Dude  … how would you know where to look in the dictionary …

… when you can't spell "dictionary"?

Randy

laughing dudelaughing dudelaughing dudelaughing dude

Kavika
link   Kavika  replied to  Randy   6 months ago

If you going to make statements like such. You should at the very least spell it correctly...Laugh

No Fear
link   No Fear  replied to  Kavika   6 months ago

I really don't care if my keyboard fucks up.  I forgive it.

The grammar/ spelling/typo nazi has struck again.

A. Macarthur

The grammar/ spelling/typo nazi has struck again.

Grammar and the proper spelling of words are among the most basic of learned skills … therefor, correcting those who appear to lack those skills … is a service.

Attacking font choices on the other hand, is for those who have nothing to add other than attacking those whose font choices drive them nuts, and, those who assist others in developing adult-level spelling and grammar.

And you are obviously dense to the point where you failed to appreciate the irony of a comment directing people to a metaphorical dictionary … WHILE MISSPELLING THE WORD "DICTIONARY"!

Enjoy the fonts though.

Dowser
link   Dowser  replied to  A. Macarthur   6 months ago

We all have our favorite typos-- my personal favorite is "snad and garvel"-- and some have even worked their way into the general lexicon of our family, like Ursters, (oysters), Hysterical Marker, (historical marker), etc.  But we can all do a better job of proofreading our work...  ME TOO!!

Part of my problem is that I'm typing on my lap top, in bed, most of the time, so I don't always put my hands in the right place...  And then, I'll hit something wrong and suddenly be typing in Chinese.  winking

Khah T` Khah

laughing dudelaughing dudeBig hugs

Dowser

Love you, Gunny!  Big hugs  Thanks for recognizing it was a joke-- and that I was trying to lighten the atmosphere...

LUCIFER
link   LUCIFER  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

@ Dowser

"It's really sad, because it is one of the things I do fairly well-- following my Grandma's recipe.  But, he won't eat it on a bet." 

Maybe it's because he thinks you really DO follow your Grandma's recipe - which is how she got rid of her unwanted guests. LOL

Dowser

It was his side of the family-- not mine...  winking

96WS6
link   96WS6    6 months ago

This is confusing.    I thought if I disagreed with a liberal I was either racist, Homophobe, Islamaphobe, woman hater or Deplorable.   Now I am Un-American too!?!?   Will anyone ever be able to disagree with a liberal again without being labeled?   

I remember a time when liberals championed free speech.  Now they only seem to champion socialism.

Dean Moriarty
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  96WS6   6 months ago

Once you get to the point that you don't care what they think life gets a lot better. 

Dowser
link   Dowser  replied to  96WS6   6 months ago

My question:  Do you eat apple pie?

If so, I'd say that you're an American, without a doubt!  winking

96WS6
link   96WS6  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

It is my favorite pie!

Dowser
link   Dowser  replied to  96WS6   6 months ago

Someday, I'll make you one!  I love baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and chevrolets...  thumbs up

Cerenkov
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

I'm going to have to draw the line at Chevrolet...

Dowser
link   Dowser  replied to  Cerenkov   6 months ago

I've had good Chevrolets and some bad ones.  But, going from Ford, (Fix Or Repair Daily), to a Chevrolet was a real treat, years ago...   thumbs up

Khah T` Khah

Not a chevy fan, never have been it was either ford or dodge for me.  and right now Ford is the best thing on the market for first empressions up to a year and for longevity. More fords on the road than any other manufacturer.  F-150 has out sold all other trucks 40 years straight and they keep them longer.

Dowser

Well, I had a Pinto and then I had a Grenada.  Speaking literally, pieces of the would fall off as I drove down the highway...  As I say, this was years ago.  They may be great cars, now!  The old F150s were a good truck!  Just like Timex, they took a licking and kept on ticking...

Cerenkov
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

I'll stick with my Lexus...

Khah T` Khah
link   Khah T` Khah  replied to  Cerenkov   6 months ago

I had a Toyota 2007 Camry Hybrid ran it for a couple years, gave it to my daughter.  I'll never have another Toyota.

Dowser
link   Dowser  replied to  Cerenkov   6 months ago

I've driven 2 Subarus for 12 years.  As far as dependability and reliability, they're the best cars I've ever had.  I love the AWD and especially the room inside the body of the car.  I'm not sitting so far down, like being dragged along the road, and can get in and out easier.  

I've ridden in Lexus cars, that my husband fixes and then test drives, and they are very nice cars.  I'm constantly hauling dogs and teenagers around, and would be a bit leery of allowing all that in such a fancy car-- but that's just me.  The Outback is my work horse and a good one!  thumbs up

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

I've had a Volkswagen, Ford, 2 Hyundais, a Chrysler, a Chevy and now a Kia in that order.  The two Hyundais and the Kia have been the best.  Now most of both are American made.  

Randy
link   Randy  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

Well, I had a Pinto

I had a 1973 Pinto in the Air Force that I bought when it was 6 months old for only $1500 and I loved it! It was painted "Ivy Glow Glamour" which is really just dark green mini metal flake. I had the rear end lifted up with helper springs and put 50 series GoodYear raised white lettered racing tires on the back and 70 series on the front with ET spun aluminum wheels all around. The tires and wheels cost almost as much as the car. From the back it looked like it was all tires.

Khah T` Khah

I had a Pinto runabout 1973 got over 100,000 miles on it even with a tooth out of the flywheel. even got hit in the rear by aFord LTD and only pout a hole in the LTD front bumper. Nothing to my car.  Took a trip from Tulsa to Oklahoma City about 250 miles got 52 mpg. of course at that time the speed limit was 55. 

Khah T` Khah

I had a Pinto runabout 1973 got over 100,000 miles on it even with a tooth out of the flywheel. even got hit in the rear by aFord LTD and only pout a hole in the LTD front bumper. Nothing to my car.  Took a trip from Tulsa to Oklahoma City about 250 miles got 52 mpg. of course at that time the speed limit was 55. 

Randy

Mine was a runabout too. I used to be able to fill it up when it was on fumes at the base gas station for about $2.50. In the winter time in North Dakota I drove it onto a frozen lake one time and has a ball spinning it all over. Those wide tires meant it was hard to keep on the road on the ice, but in the summer that little 2000cc engine had a real kick to it and it was fast off the line. A female friend and I (she had a Vega wagon) used to take my Pinto up to Winnipeg to go pub crawling a lot on weekends in the summer. It was easy to take a nap in too. All you had to do was to flip up the hatchback, put the back seat down, lean one of the front seats forward and stretch out. I had a CB radio in it with a 102 inch whip antenna on the rear bumper and kept it folded forward into a clip made for it by the front door. Great car!

sixpick
link   sixpick  replied to  Randy   6 months ago

Talk about a runabout!!!  I bought an old Volvo when I left Rantoul, Illinois after tech school in the Air Force.  I bought it for $100.  I had to rig a switch up for the brake lights.  I sprayed a big Peace Sign on the back of it, put an old 12 volt car battery in the floor of the bad seat.  It had just enough power left in it to drive an 8-track player, plus the two speakers I placed in the backseat as well.  The windshield wipers didn't work.  I drove it from Rantoul, Illinois all the way to Fayetteville, NC when I left tech school before going overseas.  I drove it around a big cow pasture for a month before I went overseas.  It broke down on my the next to the last day before I left and we had to pull it to the house with a tractor and parked it out by the woods.  When I came home after serving in Okinawa and Taiwan, it was still there.  My Daddy said someone had bought it and paid him $100, but never came and got it.  Later another fellow bought it for another $100 and hauled it off.  

Dowser
link   Dowser  replied to  sixpick   6 months ago

My Pinto died at 53,000 miles.  EGAD.  Daddy came down to my school to work on it, and the weather was so bad, the hood had frozen to the body, and he couldn't even get the hood up.  So, in a snit, he kicked the grill in.  I don't blame him.

I loved the hatchback, but could do without the water pump, the oil pump, etc., going out...

TTGA
link   TTGA  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

Dowser, have an absolutely great one that goes with the story. 

In the early 1930's, my dad, while still living at home, bought a used Model A Ford that wasn't working.  He started working on it in his parent's front yard and, after much hard labor, thought he had it fixed.  Since it didn't have a starter, he had to crank the engine.  With the first crank, it backfired, spun the crank backward causing it to smack him hard across the knuckles.  He gave out with some appropriate language (and he knew some very appropriate language for a situation like that), pulled the crank out of it's socket and threw it right through the radiator.  My grandfather had been sitting on the porch watching him the whole time.  He just laughed and asked my dad, "So what are you going to do now, smartass"?  If nothing else, it taught dad to think before destroying equipment.

Dowser
link   Dowser  replied to  TTGA   6 months ago

The Pinto had a gap-toothed grin for the rest of its life...  I didn't blame Daddy one bit!  thumbs up  He did what I wanted to do but didn't have the guts to do...

TTGA
link   TTGA  replied to  Randy   6 months ago

In January of 1973, my wife and I worked our way up the Ford line.  I returned to Long Beach after my last deployment and she flew out from Wisconsin after selling our 66 Corvair.  Didn't bring the Corvair out since I was due for discharge soon.  To get from LAX to Long Beach, and for a few days after, she rented a Pinto from Hertz.  When the discharge came through, in order to get our stuff back to the airport, we rented a Maverick.  Then, once we got back home, we needed a car.  Went up to Pinconning and bought a used 68 Mustang.  Of the three, the Mustang was the best, the Pinto second and the Maverick was junk (unreliable and underpowered for the body weight).

LUCIFER

Don't eat the pie if she's using her grandma's recipe, it could be fatal.

Dowser

It was my husband's great-great-great aunt, not mine!  winking

LUCIFER

Oh, okay, then your genetics will not cause you to inherit that propensity, but don't teach that "special" recipe to your descendants.

Dowser

Only have the one, and he isn't into pie baking...  Besides, there is no rat poison in the house, period!  I have cats and dogs.  If it can be gotten into, it will...  I'll be good, Buzz!  Don't worry!

A. Macarthur
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  96WS6   6 months ago

This is confusing.    I thought if I disagreed with a liberal I was either racist, Homophobe, Islamaphobe, woman hater or Deplorable.   Now I am Un-American too!?!?   Will anyone ever be able to disagree with a liberal again without being labeled?   

I remember a time when liberals championed free speech.  Now they only seem to champion socialism.

If/when you take such an article literally and accept it as "gospel," you're going to be confused, 96. And from your comment, it seems you've taken many a right-wing-originated stereotype of liberals … literally.

It's a major reason for the division in America … generalization, stereotyping, broad-brush painting …

I don’t believe in stereotypes. I prefer to hate people on a more personal basis. – Benjamin Franklin

PJ
link   PJ  replied to  A. Macarthur   6 months ago

I'm confused why Trump supporters are confused.  Isn't the new norm to not take others literally but seriously or is it that we're not supposed to take other seriously but literally or is it that we are supposed to apply alternative facts or maybe it's the fake news unless we site it to support a lie we're trying to peddle.........?  

Randy
link   Randy  replied to  PJ   6 months ago

I think you have it exactly right...or maybe you don't...well you're close on the literately part...or is it the seriously part.....personally I just take everything Trump and the White House says as a lie and go from there.

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  Randy   6 months ago

We had to take everything that came out of the White House as fake news and lies for the last eight years.  

dennis smith
link   dennis smith  replied to  A. Macarthur   6 months ago

@It's a major reason for the division in America … generalization, stereotyping, broad-brush painting …A-Macarthur:

That pretty much sums up what has happened in the USA with Dems and Repubs. Independents have the power to make change and we need it. 

No Fear
link   No Fear  replied to  dennis smith   6 months ago

Fuhgeddahboudit!   It's over.

The truth is virtually impossible to find these days, unless I suppose if you are a Russian hacker.

Randy

For example, the other day I posted something incorrect about how the glass door on microwave ovens work. I had heard that they functioned one way, but Gunny corrected me. He did not call me a liar, because I was not lying, I was just stating something that I had heard and put a question mark at the end of the sentence.

Donald Trump on the other hand (as has been shown by promising to help coal miners and then screwing them in his budget or lying about Obama wiretapping him) is incapable of not lying.

See how that works?

sixpick
link   sixpick  replied to  Randy   6 months ago

Donald Trump on the other hand (as has been shown by promising to help coal miners and then screwing them in his budget or lying about Obama wiretapping him) is incapable of not lying.

Maybe he was just being like Obama, he kept reading about it in the news.  You do remember all those unnamed, anonymous informers in high positions in the government who were giving them the inside scoop every day, don't you? The MSM and all the Liberal sites were pushing this idea for months.  They were alright with pushing the idea of all the connections between Trump and the Russians until they became aware if they continued to either tell the truth or lie, they were going to get Obama in trouble if there was any truth in it since he would be investigating the other candidate meaning Trump while supporting the other candidate, Hillary.  That would be bad news.  They had to take that inside knowledge off the table and find something else to talk about once they became aware of that.

So either there really was investigating going on or there wasn't, which means either the MSM was telling the truth or they were lying.  Now if they were telling the truth, Obama's administration was doing what they do in third world countries to their opposing candidates.

Now we know something is corrupt when a hard drive is subpoenaed and the person in possession of that hard drive is not charged for destroying it, don't we?  Can anyone say that is not a crime in itself, not to mention all the other crimes, lying to Congress etc?  

sixpick

I put question marks at the end of the last two sentences by updating them as I realized I hadn't done it the first time, but right now they still don't have question marks at the end of them.  I expect they will by the time someone reads this.  I updated it, I then refreshed it and then I updated it again, but the question marks were still not there.

I was using Explorer, then Firefox and now Chrome and with all three of them I still have this problem.  I sent Perrie a screen shot some time back, because when I would post a comment, the screen would start showing every comment as it scrolled on its on until it reached my comment.  Strange.  She said she had never seen that before.  I thought it may be just my computer, but when it did it on my phone as well, you know, I just accepted it.  I don't know if I am the only one who has experienced anything like this.  I understand it is a pain to keep everything working as I deal with complaints I've never personally seen from people as well.

sixpick

And now the question marks are there.  Also even after I post this comment I will have to refresh to get it out of this black here.  I'm accustomed to this now and work around it.  If this is happening to any other members or especially new members, it could be too confusing.  Maybe I'm the only one who has had this happen to them.  I do update quite often as I see the mistakes I've made, maybe not all of them, but enough to make me want to correct those I see.

Most people make much shorter comments or just copy/paste and I guess get it right the first time.

pat wilson
link   pat wilson  replied to  sixpick   6 months ago

I post comments of different lengths, and often edit the longer ones, sometimes more than once. And sometimes I get it right the first time. Never had an issue with the site scrolling by itself. Ghost in the machine ??

sixpick
link   sixpick  replied to  pat wilson   6 months ago

Not seeing the scrolling thing happening now or at least tonight.  If I had to guess, I'd say what should be happening behind the scenes is actually happening in real time on the screen when that happens.  Beats me, not happening now.  What is happening now is after I click to post this comment it will post, but it will still be at the bottom of the screen not as you see it, but as you would see yours as you're typing it before you post it.  In order for me to get rid of it, I have to refresh the screen and then it is only where it should be, in the article.  At this point I haven't posted it, but when I do it will still be just as it is in the box before you click "Post Your Comment".  Then I just refresh and the box disappears, comment is only in the article.

TTGA
link   TTGA  replied to  pat wilson   6 months ago

the screen would start showing every comment as it scrolled on its on until it reached my comment.

Six,

I don't think that's a problem with the site.  I suspect that, like me, you are using a Polaroid wireless optical mouse or it's equivalent.  To save battery power, it shuts off automatically after a couple of minutes.  In order to restart the laser, you have to press a small button located behind the scrolling wheel.  I've found that, if you are scrolling down with the wheel and your finger accidentally presses that restart button, it causes a button to appear on the screen and that starts automatically scrolling down.  Sometimes you don't notice the button on the screen and wonder what the hell is happening (at least I did until I figured it out).  To stop it, all you have to do is left click the mouse.

Hope this helps.

sixpick
link   sixpick  replied to  TTGA   6 months ago

Six,

I don't think that's a problem with the site.  I suspect that, like me, you are using a Polaroid wireless optical mouse or it's equivalent.

Thank you TTGA.  I do have a wireless mouse, but no button.  It's the same mouse I've been using for quite some time.  The problem started long after I started using this mouse.  I will pay attention to your information to narrow the problem down.  It hasn't been doing the automatic scrolling lately though, so that is not a problem.

The problem I have is when I want to update a comment, it doesn't update.  When I finish updating it and click "Update" it remains the same.  I can do this over and over along with refreshing the screen over and over and sometimes I think a certain time has gone by and it has updated.  I think it is more dependent on the time than anything else.

Like I said, I can go look at another article and come back later and it has updated.  So if a person puts something up and updates it, the original comment will remain there even if that person updates it for a limited amount of time no matter what they do, even if they update it a dozen times combining refreshing the screen.

As far as my phone, I am aware if I want to change something in a comment, I have to go where I want to delete backward until I get to the part where I want to correct and continue to type.  If the location is on the far right side and that is where I want to start deleting, it's impossible to start there because the scroll button, even though you can't see it will scroll you back to the top of the article.  So I have learned to start deleting on the next line somewhere in the middle and continue until I get to a location I can start typing again and finish the sentence.  That's no problem and understandable why it happens the way it does.  You just can't touch the right side of the screen on your phone or it will scroll back to the top.

I'm not complaining about any of this.  I'm only offering my experience and maybe others have similar experiences in order to help with any problems we may be having.  As a new member, not familiar with these problems, I could see how it would be confusing to them and not be beneficial to continued participation.

I can tell you what.  It's not a bad idea to copy your comment after you're finished with it and then post it.  I've lost several I've spent too much time on and they're gone forever at that point.  And it's not a bad idea after copying it and posting it to refresh the screen, because if you don't you will think it didn't post and that's the way you end up with 2 or 3 comments that are all the same.  And for those who don't know, you can put your cursor in the top right side of any of those extra comments and choose "Trash" and delete them, so you'll only be left with one posting.

Dowser
link   Dowser  replied to  sixpick   6 months ago

I've had the update problem before, too...  Not the scrolling, but updating can be tricky at times.  My problem lately, has been that all at once, I reach a spot on the page and everything is written in Chinese...  I can't fix it, update it, etc.  So I just delete it, leave the site, shut down the computer, and come back on...  That seems to fix it.

It's probably me, having hit the wrong keys...  

sixpick
link   sixpick  replied to  Dowser   6 months ago

everything is written in Chinese

That's when you need to copy it and send it to Buzz and let his wife translate it for you.  Seems you're being hacked by the Chinese Dowser. LOL

Don't buy any apple pies from China!!!!!

sixpick
link   sixpick    6 months ago

Comment and after posting.jpg

pat wilson
link   pat wilson  replied to  sixpick   6 months ago

I have that too, I guess its a glitch in the site. I always refresh after posting so I don't end up posting twice.

Randy
link   Randy  replied to  pat wilson   6 months ago

Sometimes, if it hasn't been too long, I cut the corrected message from the correctable box and then delete the original message that won't correct and report the corrected one.

sixpick

That was the very very short version of how long it takes it to finish scrolling.  It's like walking through a briar patch.  A lot of work goes a short distance.  Really puts a damper on things.

A. Macarthur

XX post articles consisting of editorial content that create "LIBERAL STRAW MEN" for the purpose of knocking them down so as to claim or imply "CONSERVATIVE SUPERIORITY," "EXPERTISE-AUTHENTICITY," "THE PATRIOTIC and POLITICAL HIGH GROUND."

These articles, when debunked, rebutted, corrected for the purpose of accuracy and/or called out for what they actually are rather than what they purport to be, are met with a cadre of quippers, mockers, insulters who DO EVERYTHING BUT DEFEND THE GENERALLY INDEFENSIBLE, broad brush pronouncement and denigration upon which they are predicated.

In the place of point-counter-point discussion, we see attacks on FONT CHOICES, on methods of conveying factual information … everything but honest dialogue.

And, when the usuals have nothing whatsoever to add in the way of substance … they post a cartoon emoticon, which ironically, is fittingly representative of the shallowness of intellect required to post it.

Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about.

So, have you responded to my note to you in your role as a moderator regarding the other seed yet?

Cerenkov

MORe inSIghTFUL COmments.

thumbs down

link   Redding Shasta Jefferson USA  replied to  Cerenkov   6 months ago

In his defense he did deal promptly with a matter I asked about on another seed.  As many differences as we have on every issue out there, he seems fair as a moderator.  thumbs up

A. Macarthur

MORe inSIghTFUL COmments.

thumbs down

Which, as usual, generated your un-insightful response … although it does INCITE.

Close, but no cigar.

Cerenkov

thumbs down

Share This