╌>

‘New McCarthyism in Hollywood’ Silencing Conservative Voices

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  7 years ago  •  52 comments

‘New McCarthyism in Hollywood’ Silencing Conservative Voices
At least somebody is recognizing it.

3.20.2017 News Sanchez 5

“In an astonishing reversal of Hollywood history, just as liberals here once considered themselves an endangered species, so do conservatives today,” wrote Stephen Galloway for his piece in The Hollywood Reporter on the rise of a new McCarthyism in Tinsel Town.

Just like President Truman’s executive order which tested the loyalty of American citizens 70 years ago during the Second Red Scare and the rise of communism among liberals, “Now Hollywood has a loyalty test of its own,” Galloway stated. But first, he gave a brief history of the impact this had on Hollywood:

Months after Truman’s order, several dozen members of the film industry were summoned to appear as witnesses before the House Un-American Activities Committee. Nineteen of them, known as the “Unfriendly Nineteen” — a term coined by the red-baiting Hollywood Reporter — were left-wingers, hostile to the committee. Billy Wilder mordantly quipped that “only two of them have talent. The rest are just unfriendly.” But their summons sent waves of fear coursing through the industry, enough to paralyze even liberal supporters such as Humphrey Bogart, and certainly more conservative ones such as Gary Cooper.

By the end of the hearings, 10 of the witnesses had been cited for contempt of court, and soon some of the top movie executives issued what became known as the Waldorf Statement, a two-page press release vowing that “We will forthwith discharge or suspend without compensation those in our employ, and we will not re-employ any of the ten until such time as he is acquitted or has purged himself of contempt and declares under oath that he is not a Communist.”

It took over a decade for those blacklisted to pursue careers again in the movie industry. But Galloway warns that McCarthyism has returned but this time, with a flip in the script.

Though he is among the Hollywood Left who sympathizes with illegal aliens and “persecuting Muslims,” Galloway has noticed that Hollywood has a new enemy:

Back then it was fear of Communism; now it’s fear of an amorphous enemy that’s all the more potent to some for being unseen. Call it the fear of fear itself.

And here’s the surprising thing: that fear isn’t just felt by the usual groups liberals want to protect; it’s also felt by conservatives.

In an astonishing reversal of Hollywood history, just as liberals here once considered themselves an endangered species, so do conservatives today. They no longer are free to talk in the open, because they feel — rightly — we’re no longer prepared to listen, any more than they're prepared to listen to liberals. There's deafness on both sides.

Galloway said “there’s some truth” to Tim Allen’s recent comments on how Hollywood blackballs anyone who doesn’t toe its liberal line.

“Think I’m wrong? Imagine what Mel Gibson or Vince Vaughn must have felt at the Golden Globes,” Galloway wrote. “I couldn’t help wondering how the crowd would have reacted if they had spoken out instead of Meryl Streep. While she was given an ovation, they’d have been booed off the stage.”

“And that worries me,” Galloway continued. “Because nobody should be afraid to speak. Freedom of speech means freedom for all, for our opponents as well as ourselves.”

It’s nice to see someone from the left in Hollywood cluing in to the truth.

Issues First Amendment Liberalism Political Correctness Social Justice Organizations Hollywood Hollywood Reporter http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/hollywood-reporter-new-mccarthyism-hollywood-silencing-conservative-voices

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago

"so do conservatives today. They no longer are free to talk in the open, because they feel — rightly — we’re no longer prepared to listen, any more than they're prepared to listen to liberals. There's deafness on both sides. 

Galloway said “there’s some truth” to Tim Allen’s recent comments on how Hollywood blackballs anyone who doesn’t toe its liberal line.

“Think I’m wrong? Imagine what Mel Gibson or Vince Vaughn must have felt at the Golden Globes,” Galloway wrote. “I couldn’t help wondering how the crowd would have reacted if they had spoken out instead of Meryl Streep. While she was given an ovation, they’d have been booed off the stage.”

“And that worries me,” Galloway continued. “Because nobody should be afraid to speak. Freedom of speech means freedom for all, for our opponents as well as ourselves.”

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

And have we not noticed that the McCarthyism syndrome has even extended to TheNewstalkers?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Um...no....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Who "thumbed up" my being censored and censured for "speaking my mind"?

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Wasn't me.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I didn't know there was another Randy on this site.

"Liked By:

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Well, I sure don't remember liking it, so I will unlike it.

Though you are a little thin skinned some times...jus' sayn'.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Yes I did Buzz. The part that I agreed with was ''being a little thin skinned''....

At times everyone get's ''thinned skinned'', myself included. And I have been called on it, but didn't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
link   Old Hermit  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Though you are a little thin skinned some times...jus' sayn'.

Yes I did Buzz. The part that I agreed with was ''being a little thin skinned''....

That's the piece that drew my nod as well.  oops

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Maybe I am somewhat thin-skinned, but on the other hand if all of you didn't mean that my right to speak my mind should be limited because I'm not an American then you should have said so.

After all, if I'm so "thin-skinned" then I have both the propensity and the right to say that, don't you think?

Kavika
Professor Principal

You have the right to say anything Buzz. Just as people have the right to disagree with you.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Have you ever seen me say to anyone that they did NOT have the right to disagree with me? I may have told someone that he/she did not have the knowledge he/she needed to disagree with me, but I never forbade anyone from disagreeing with me.

Kavika
Professor Principal

I don't believe that I suggested any such thing, Buzz.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I think that what I said was actually agreeing with your comment.

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz.. You do get a little touchy when anyone suggests any moderation of U.S. support or policies for Israel, or U.S. support for any foreign relations you perceive to be a threat to them. Not likely here in the United States, as full 1/3 of the Senate is Jewish, and would guess a majority of the non-rural Representatives are. Special interest groups, much?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  deepwaterdon   7 years ago

I admitted I can be a little thin-skinned at times, and I may have criticized a person's atidude or opinion about Israel, especially if they had never been there, but I never told anyone they had to keep their mouth shut about Israel if they weren't an Israeli.

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent

Never said you did. My real criticism is doe and about Americas seemingly deep-pockets to send monies, troops, and arms anywhere in the world, to feed special interest groups who make politicians millionaires. And all the while ignoring the needs and lives of homeless, hungry children, and veterans who are not getting the care they deserve.

There is a wall in D.C. that has 55,000 names on it that is a perfect example of Americas failed foreign policies of the past. Are we going to start a new one when the neocons get us militarily bogged down in Syria, as we have been in Iraqnam and Vietghanistan. For the past 14 yrs.

Is one name on a wall worth it? Who can answer this question? Is your son or daughter worth it?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz, I have no expectation to be taken seriously when commenting on Chinese, Canadian, or Israeli culture, politics, or social mores, which is why I generally don't get too deep into any of that.  Yet if you are a Jewish Chinese Canadian, you somehow deserve to be taken seriously on the multitude of poorly informed opinions you have on America?  You don't even have unfiltered access to the internet in China.  You don't have to live with the politically driven fallout of a Trump presidency, and it's nauseating to see you brush it off and chalk up anyone who has real concerns about their livelihoods, health, environment, future, etc. as snowflakes.   

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent

'I used to think DD was a nice guy, My opinion of that has changed'. It was me who was stating a comment on your criticism of the drug problem in America. Feel free to not comment on any further comments I may make and you can rest assured I will do the same for you.

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent

Yeah. I for one, cannot believe the number of seemingly intelligent people on this forum, throw reason and common sense to the wind, and blindly believe everything and anything the Orange Peckerwood spurts forth.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    7 years ago

The leftwing in this country is authoritarian in nature. Different ideas  scares them, so they attack dissent, physically in a lot of cases. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

Like the death threats that Shepard Smith and Kelly received after they spoke out against Trump....

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

It's amazing to me how the left purposely is blind to this fact. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I think they know but they want to secretly embrace it.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

Conservatives control the Presidency, both Houses of Congress, the Supreme Court, and last but not at all least a huge majority of states.

... and somehow they are being "silenced"?

There are three possibilities here: 
 - paranoia
 - hypocrisy
 - jaw-dropping stupidity

Or any combination of the three...

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

Hollywood is out of touch with the conservative movement. They won't be selling me any ticket stubs. Clint Eastwood's are the minority in that slimy business. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

Bob,

This story is about voices being silenced in Hollywood, not Washington.  So, you either missed that or are purposely being obtuse.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

"Being silenced"...

Gagged?

Arbitrarily arrested and forbidden to see a lawyer?

Lynched?

Either this guy Galloway... or you... or both of you... has a very strange idea of "silencing". 

Imagine what Mel Gibson or Vince Vaughn must have felt at the Golden Globes...

Awww... poor li'l Mel! Poor l'il Mel, who never said anything nasty about anyone. People are so-o-o-o mean to poor li'l Mel...  Whining, much??

This article seems to me to be saying, "If you don't agree with me, then that's MEAN!! Gonna cry!"

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

Being silenced come sin many forms, just like the days of the red scare-these actors could not practice their trade for years.

Based on your comments, I see you are a proponent of McCarthyism.  Glad you clarified that for everyone.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

I'll just let you discuss this... with yourself... 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet

Got it, you went with the prize behind Door Number Two: Purposely Obtuse.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

And you went with "Mel Gibson's feelings are being hurt"... 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

"Being silenced"...

Gagged?

Arbitrarily arrested and forbidden to see a lawyer?

Lynched?

Either this guy Galloway... or you... or both of you... has a very strange idea of "silencing". 

Imagine what Mel Gibson or Vince Vaughn must have felt at the Golden Globes...

Awww... poor li'l Mel! Poor li'l Mel, who never said anything nasty about anyone. People are so-o-o-o mean to poor li'l Mel...  

Whining, much??

This article seems to me to be saying, "If you don't agree with me, then that's MEAN!! Gonna cry!"