╌>

Three Years Later Marc is Still in the Fight

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jerry-verlinger  •  7 years ago  •  117 comments

Three Years Later Marc is Still in the Fight

1610991_10207759766810355_4564620316934039380_n.jpg?oh=25121a5dfb500a35bb2eb33fe8d37d35&oe=595A22D1 Three years ago I posted an article on NewsTalkers about my second son, Marc, shortly after I learned he had been diagnosed as having uncontrollable cancer in his kidney. At that time he was told by his doctor he could only expect 6 months to a year to live.

Well here he is, still fighting his 'Cancer Dragon' in his own way (he's been doing things his own way since he was born). Now he has forged a new way to carry on with his fight.  In an article he recently posted on facebook (which is the reason for this post) he describes exactly what he is facing and what he is currently doing about it, he said:

Diagnosed with Sarcomitoid renal cell carcinoma, an aggressive deep cell kidney cancer that already showed signs of metastasizing, spreading to the prostate and the right lung. With no known cure or any way to stop this type of cancer, I've opted out of traditional treatments and medications. No radical surgery, no chemo, no radiation. I decided to accept my fate, treat the symptoms from this dragon as they come, living a better quality of life, even if it's a shortened life. I refuse the cold steel table and the precise sharp edge of a scalpel.

With no support from the cancer society or medical institution, selling my art will help fund the holistic treatments that can be very expensive and sometimes hard to obtain.

Marc is a very talented artist and sculptor, (he also is a very talented Rock drummer) and he has created the following Hanes Tee shirt that he is selling through 'teespring' on line, to help finance the battle he is fighting with the "Cancer Dragon" he has depicted on the Tee shirt shown here. 

/\/\/ Light Steel T-Shirt Front

With this post I am unashamedly asking for your help to make this effort more successful. You can order one (or more) of the shirt by going to     THIS LINK .   Available only until March 31

I also am very happy to inform all of you that, under the circumstances, he is doing very well and appreciates the NewsTalkers friends he made from my original article about him.

Thank you all for your help..   

I've had people contact me asking for a way to donate funds instead of the tee shirt. Marc has a "gofundme" account at THIS LINK

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger    7 years ago

This guy is amazing. It seems there is nothing he can't do. He is a great rock drummer, he can draw, paint and sculptor in almost any medium. 

The way he has taken on the Cancer Dragon he lives with is also amazing. He was convinced holistic medication and a proper food diet would be the best way to confront his nightmare, and he was right. He reminds us on the first of every month with a facebook post that he is still here.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

This guy is amazing.

He really is ! Very brave to forego the traditional forms of treatment. I think they are often as deadly as the cancer.

I'll check out the link.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

I'll check out the link

Thank you.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

I wasn't here when you posted the original article but I'm happy to hear that he's doing well.  I'll check out the link also Jerry.  We all have our own dragons to slay.  Very inspiring.  :0)

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I'll check out the link also Jerry.

Thank you Pj.

(I have a sister named Peggie-Jane, everybody calls her Pj)

mverl
Freshman Silent
link   mverl    7 years ago

Wow, this is great. Thank you all for your support. Love you Dad. 

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  mverl   7 years ago

Wow, this is great. Thank you all for your support. Love you Dad.

Your very welcome Marc, I love you too. You're on my mind all the time. 

Keep up the good fight, your Dragon is dealing with a very tough character in this battle. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Inspirational story guys. Keep up your great spirit. 

I will check out the t-shirt. 

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Inspirational story guys. Keep up your great spirit. 

Thank you John, we appreciate your support.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Mark you are an inspiration to all of us. I know how proud you dad is of you.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Mark you are an inspiration to all of us. I know how proud you dad is of you.

The apparently fearless fight he is carrying on here does keep me proud.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

Very, very inspiring! All my wishes and hope that the battle continues to be won!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

All my wishes and hope that the battle continues to be won!

Thank you for your wishes Randy.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   7 years ago

I remember my dads 12 year struggle with a rare type of cancer and the fight he showed.  He used an all of the above approach, religious/spiritual, humor, all of the latest medical technology, and all holistic lifestyle and diet ideas.  Best wishes for you as you deal with your situation.  

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

He used an all of the above approach, religious/spiritual, humor, all of the latest medical technology, and all holistic lifestyle and diet ideas.

That's apparently the best way to deal with the worlds cancer nightmare.

Thanks for the best wishes Corny.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Keep thinking positively, Marc. I have seen how that effort works miracles - it did for my sister-in-law who survived decades past her medical prediction. 

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I have seen how that effort works miracles - it did for my sister-in-law who survived decades past her medical prediction. 

Thanks for stopping in Buzz, decades is what we're hoping for. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    7 years ago

The Cancer Dragon can go f*%k itself; we will slay it one day. Keep it up Marc; you are a strength for all of us!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

The Cancer Dragon can go f*%k itself; we will slay it one day. 

Perhaps all the super expensive and very intrusive procedures the medical community has been using to fight cancer, is not the best way to take down the 'Dragon".  I am aware of a number of cancer victims that have said the medical treatment they getting was as bad, if not worse than the cancer. In most cases the cancer prevailed.   

Keep it up Marc; you are a strength for all of us!

Yes he is, and he is portraying a lesson that 'conventional' cancer medication is not where we should be putting our resources.

mverl
Freshman Silent
link   mverl  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   7 years ago

I could not agree with you more. Every day I spend out of the hospital is a huge win. I stare the dragon in it's eyes as we dance. Treating the symptoms as they come. I fight this bastard hard.

I've caught the biggest bass in my life since then, jumped from an air plane, climbed a mountain and got a tattoo.

I live, laugh and love much more. I appreciate the smaller things in life. Showers and going to the bathroom. The green color of grass and blue skies. The happiness of a child when they find a treasure.

Life is grand, though i suffer greatly from the effects of this and sometimes wish it would end, but that would mean....well, you know. So I carry on, grateful to be able to get up and go outside to smell the fresh air. If I were to die today, I still win. 

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

So I carry on, grateful to be able to get up and go outside to smell the fresh air. If I were to die today, I still win. 

Yessir!!  You are for sure the winner in his battle. I admire the brave way you decided to take on this fight, and it's obvious you have come out ahead. 

I may be your dad, but you son, are my hero.

I when this first started, I remember arguing with you if you where doing the right thing, and sure to form, you made it clear that you were doing it "your way". I am so glad you were right.

Keep up the good fight. Love you.

mverl
Freshman Silent

I never meant to be a hero or a worrier to anyone besides my kids. I am humbled by your words. Thank you.

You are not the only one who disagreed with my decision. My girlfriend at the time was so mad, 2 of my brothers had something to say, my mom, my aunt. my cousin, a dump truck full of friends, doctors, nurses, basically everyone I ever met didn't like what I decided.  For me, I had no other options. I stood alone, but I stood firm. 

I decided i would rather die from the cancer, not the harsh, radical and very intrusive treatment to cancer.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I never meant to be a hero or a worrier to anyone besides my kids. I am humbled by your words. Thank you.

There's no need for thanks, that's the way it is.

I decided i would rather die from the cancer, not the harsh, radical and very intrusive treatment to cancer.

I've decided the world owes you enough karma that you shouldn't die at all.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   7 years ago

Hey, thanks to all of you for your thoughts on my dad, I talked with the folks on Friday and again yesterday, they seem to be happy and well (as well as can be expected), I'm going to go to the Lake House and open it up Memorial Day weekend and they will be able to come spend some time there, though they won't move up for the summer this year.

BTW, got home from my camp last night and checked the mail-got my T-Shirt!  It's nicer than it looks like in the picture.  Sending good thoughts to your son and to you, Jerry.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

The Cancer Dragon can go f*%k itself; we will slay it one day

Saturday I heard a report that the cancer science folks have come up with a way (very simple version) to remove cancer cells from the patient, 'engineer' them some way and return them to the patient. The 'engineered' cells find the cancer whre they are able to attack and destroy the it.

So far it seems to be providing a positive outlook. The FDA has said it is expediting the approval the procedure and should have it approved within a year.

Let us pray we are on our way to a solution.  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Marc, I read your Dad's first article and have kept you in my prayers since!  You are a true warrior and a vital asset to the people on this planet!

I read an article last week on how a revolutionary new treatment may defeat cancer in 10 years-- published in the newspaper and written by a local doctor.  (Louisville)  I think what you're doing is wonderful and I hope it keeps working for you!  I cannot blame you one bit for trying something else and support your decision 100%.

Please let me know if I can do anything for you, take care, and best wishes in your recovery!

mverl
Freshman Silent
link   mverl  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Thank you for your kind words. Their are many alternatives to cancer treatment. I firmly believe this. 

You can order a t-shirt to help. That would be awesome..

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  mverl   7 years ago

Will do!  Is there a link in the body of the article?  If so, I'll find it!

Good health to you!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Marc, it didn't work...  It won't accept my zip code as valid.  I've double checked and the zip code I entered is the right one...  Is there another link where I can order?  Thank you!

mverl
Freshman Silent

oh, I'm sorry. The other way I know is to go to the site.

Teespring, then do a search for my shirt.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

OK, will do!  Wish me luck!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It worked!!!  YAY!

mverl
Freshman Silent

Thank you

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I read an article last week on how a revolutionary new treatment may defeat cancer in 10 years-- 

I wonder it that's the same story I heard about involving engineered cells.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    7 years ago

That is good news. Keep up the fight. 

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62    7 years ago

While Mr. Nona was going through his bout with Cancer for about 1  1/2 years, I kept telling him (and myself) that "This Tooo Shall Pass)  He did receive Chemo and Radiation which made him horribly ill ,and weak.  He is doing very well so far. I admire you  for doing your treatment Naturally.  Seems like that was the right choice for you. The very best  to you and yours.   You will be in my thoughts and prayers.   "-)

mverl
Freshman Silent
link   mverl  replied to  Nona62   7 years ago

While all cancers are different, so should be the treatments.

I'm happy to hear Mr. Nona is doing well. That's very good news.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62  replied to  mverl   7 years ago

Thank you.  NEVER give up. A lot of people here are pulling and praying for you. ♥

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Nona62   7 years ago

While Mr. Nona was going through his bout with Cancer for about 1  1/2 years, I kept telling him (and myself) that "This Tooo Shall Pass)

My prayers that it will pass. Best wishes for Mr. Nona

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Wonderful artwork, Marc.

Keep up the good fight and remember that you are the Warrior.

aedd5e709d3fa0211ff47a101f2bc0cd.jpg

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Thanks for stopping by Kavika.

You always have an apropos and meaningful Indian quote that says it all.  

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Hey! Sorry I dropped of the table here. This is an important article article for me, but on Sunday the 26th an ambulance dragged me down to the Glens Falls Hospital to deal with a bout of pneumonia. 

Pain in the ass that kind of stuff. Can't get anything done. I hadn't been feeling well for a few days before they dragged me out of here, but nobody told me I had any fucking pneumonia until I got to the hospital. 

Well, I'm home and I feel great. they pumped me full of a kinds of meds and pills, I know, the stuff Marc does not like, but this was only pneumonia. A few steroids, some antibiotics  and I'm better. Marc has a slightly more serious problem than pneumonia and he has decided to take a more practical way to deal with it.

I certainly don't want to lose a son, and the world should not have to lose a guy with such artistic talent. He is a little shy with his work and doesn't always like to display it, but now that he is member here, maybe we can get him to display on NT some of what he has done.

Some NT people have seen some of his work from a past article, or on facebook  and they were impressed. 

BTW, SHIRTS HAVE TO BE ORDERED  BY TOMORROW!  

Thanks for you help.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   7 years ago

Hope you are feeling better!

I ordered my shirt last week!  thumbs up

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I ordered my shirt last week!   thumbs up

Thanks Dowser, you're always around helping when there's trouble.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   7 years ago

Pneumonia is nothing to sneeze about so I'm glad to hear someone dragged you to the hospital and even more happy to hear you've recovered.

I would LOVE to see more of Marc's work.  Yippee!!!!!  

Like Lady Dowser, I ordered my T-shirt last week.  I hope I don't run into problems because I'm moving in another two weeks.  I'm sure my mail will make it to my new address.....which reminds me I should fill out the forwarding address forms.  

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Pneumonia is nothing to sneeze about so I'm glad to hear someone dragged you to the hospital and even more happy to hear you've recovered.

Thanks  PJ. My Granddaughter stopped by to see how I was doing. she said my skin was grey, so she called an ambulance.

I would LOVE to see more of Marc's work.  Yippee!!!!!

He has posted some of it below.

Like Lady Dowser, I ordered my T-shirt last week.  I hope I don't run into problems because I'm moving in another two weeks.  I'm sure my mail will make it to my new address.....which reminds me I should fill out the forwarding address forms.

Thanks PJ thumbs up  

mverl
Freshman Silent

1466028_10206599295919308_2352930090799318230_n.jpg 1511332_10203422273495733_4216483939397198596_n.jpg

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  mverl   7 years ago

I'm curious about the bird.  What motivated your interpretation?  

mverl
Freshman Silent
link   mverl  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

These birds move so mechanically and precise, they are engineered for gracefulness. This one is a fork/spoon bill. I also did a knife/fork/spoon bill.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

The building sits on the New Paltz-Minnewaska Rd. (Rt 299) in just north of New Paltz in New York. Marc and his two brothers used to drive past it every time they went to the Mohonk Preserve where they scaled straight up cliffs barehanded, often climbing over experienced full geared climbers.

I used to tell them "Don't tell me when you're going climbing, I don't want to think about one of you slipping." Marc use to say, "Don't worry about us, we're always too 'stoned' to fall"...... of course that always made me feel better.

" Testimonial Gateway , was built in 1908 to mark the 50th wedding anniversary of Albert and Eliza Smiley. But the Lake Mohonk resort goes back much further than the gatehouse, to the early 1870s when the original hotel was built by Albert and his twin brother Alfred as a mountain retreat and nature preserve. When the gatehouse was added almost 40 years later, it served as the formal entrance to the resort, and from 1908 to 1935, anyone visiting would first travel down its scenic road lined with towering oak trees.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   7 years ago

Jerry,

You can leave a link to where people can order the T shirts. Please do that! 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

It's here:

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

And only 2 more to go (needs to be done today) to make the order happen - please go there now and order yours.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I received notice today that my tee shirt was being printed!  We're on our way!!!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

It's posted in the article as   " You can order one (or more) of the shirt by going to     THIS LINK . ( teespring.com/an-artistic-approach-to-cancer )

The offer closed midnight Friday morning. We should me able to continue the offer if we get enough reservations. WE think we have enough, Marc can't check with them until Monday.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   7 years ago

The offer closed midnight Friday morning. We should me able to continue the offer if we get enough reservations. WE think we have enough, Marc can't check with them until Monday.

We have acquired enough reservations to have the campaign reopened . Anyone that would like to contribute by ordering a shirt(s) can place the order.

Just click   THIS LINK   to go to the order page. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   7 years ago

Wish I knew more about your location, Jerry.  I was in Hudson Falls for my Aunt's memorial service last month.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Spike, 

I'm in Chestertown, about 30 miles north of Hudson Falls (exit 25 on the Northway)

mverl
Freshman Silent

I thought you would like to see this. The arrow points to the tumor on my left kidney. 
11054349_10205924285844478_7599263592092464863_n.jpg

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  mverl   7 years ago

Has the tumor changed over time or not much?

mverl
Freshman Silent
link   mverl  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Yes, it is bigger than ever.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

The arrow points to the tumor on my left kidney.

I don't like tumors, that one in particular.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

I just ordered one.  Only 2 more to make this thing happen.  Please search your heart and go to the link provided in Jerry's story and order yours now-today is the last day.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

Thanks for the help guys.

I've ordered 6, (family, saved on shipping)  but I was a day late because of my hospital visit. I thought by Friday meant "by Friday", not midnight Thursday. (caught Marc off guard as well}

Marc is going to check Monday to make sure account is reopened. It should be. If I need to buy more I will, and sell them later.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend Jerry Verlinger: I am available for any and all Pastoral support you and/or Mark may want or need on your terms.

Enoch.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Dear Friend Jerry Verlinger: I am available for any and all Pastoral support you and/or Mark may want or need on your terms.

Enoch.

Thank you Enoch, I know you are always close by with your support when times are difficult.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Just left a donation, Jerry!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Just left a donation, Jerry!

Thanks Mac. You're another one that always shows up to lend a hand.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   7 years ago

One more post in case anyone still wanted to order a shirt.

We have acquired enough reservations to have the campaign reopened . Anyone that would like to contribute by ordering a shirt(s) can place the order.

Just click   THIS LINK   to go to the order page. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

I GOT MY T-SHIRT!!!  And it looks A W E S O M EBig hugs

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I'm glad you like the shirt. Thank you for your help

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I got mine, too, and my son LOVES it!  thumbs up

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I tried my on but I don't think it's for those of us who have boobies.  hahahaha - I'll probably have to give mine to one of my sons otherwise someone may think I'm looking for a t-shirt contest when ever I wear it.  devil

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

"...... otherwise someone may think I'm looking for a t-shirt contest when ever I wear it. "   devil

That's a good idea .....maybe you should hold a T Shirt contest using shirts designed by mverl.

I'll gladly volunteer to be a judge.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

You too Marsha, you guys are always around when help is needed. I'm glad you son likes the shirt. Maybe he can send some of his friends to Marc's facebook page and see what else he has designed. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I'll do that when he gets home-- he's at band practice!  They're good kids, and maybe they can help, too!!!

mverl
Freshman Silent

I had not seen the shirts until i got mine in the mail. Wow, I love it. A rare treasure in my collection and puts a few dollars in my account. Amazing how things always work out. Thank you for supporting me and helping me through this.  

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

We're still waiting up here in the mountains. I think my order went in as a later delivery because of the delay from my hospital visit.

We are anxious to see them. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

They are of lovely quality!  thumbs up

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

I just checked. Additional shirts can be ordered as soon as we get 3 reservations set.

If you want to set a reservation just go to  THIS LINK .