╌>

Largest bass caught in Texas lake using McDonald's chicken McNugget

Category:  Fields and Streams

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  19 comments

Fox News, June 01, 2017

1496325522165.jpg
Matthew McNellis and his girlfriend caught the massive bass last month by using a chicken McNugget as bait. (Matthew McNellis)

A couple got a "Mc-nificent" catch when they reeled in a record-breaking bass last month at a Texas lake by using a McDonald's chicken McNugget as their bait.

Matthew McNellis and his girlfriend went fishing in May at Lake Bardwell in Ennis and had no luck catching anything, McNellis told KDAF.

McNellis' girlfriend then suggested using a chicken nugget they bought from McDonald's as bait. To their surprise, they reeled in a 2-and-a-half-foot long bass that weighed more than 10 pounds.

The Highview Marina declared it as the biggest fish caught at the lake, posting a photo of it on Facebook. 

The bass won't be turning into a Filet-O-Fish sandwich anytime soon. The couple tossed the bass back in the water at the end.

McNellis told the station that he planned on continuing the fast food bait trend by using Wendy's seasoned French fries the next time he goes fishing.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Since the bass was so undiscriminating as to eat a deep-fried nugget of ground-up chicken leftovers it's a good thing they threw the fish back and didn't eat it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Bass are ambush predators Buzz, they'll eat anything that moves, or doesn't move in the water. 

But I am going to stock up on Chicken McNuggets for my next fishing trip. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

LOL

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Bass are ambush predators Buzz, they'll eat anything that moves, or doesn't move in the water.

True.  I once caught a 4-pound bass by dangling a line with a twine of orange shag indoor/outdoor carpet threaded on the hook.  I caught it under the dock at my grandparent's lake house.  I'm pretty sure that the fish and I were both surprised. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Were you hard up for bait or was that the plan?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

My grandfather used to catch small mouth bass trolling with bubble gum. Worked great!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Randy   7 years ago

LOL, pink bubble gum?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Yep! Large piece, chewed up and covering a medium sized hook. Worked wonderfully!

Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Were you hard up for bait or was that the plan?

It was on a bet.  Come to think of it, my brother still owes me $10.00.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Good thing you didn't dangle your toe in the water.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

John, 

I would love to take you fishin' sometime.

:~)

I sat on the red in a fourteen footer with a couple of buds years ago, catfishin'. Beers, bud, sun and hours later the cats were slowin' and no matter where we moved we were gonna call 'er a day (it was already ten in the morning and cats were nappin'). We were using combinations of frogs and silvers when Greg pulled a long dangling twig off a willow tree hanging over the river and wrapped it around his frog and pitched it in. Within thirty seconds he was pulling a nine pounder in. Biggest all day, maybe not a record, but we still all remember it to this day. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Orange shag, bass are well known as dancers, shagging around the lake.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

The Brits have a meaning for the word "shag" that might not be appropriate here. LOL

Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

The Brits have a meaning for the word "shag" that might not be appropriate here. LOL

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

I just heard that McD's will have a drive up ''bait window'' at all their establishments in Texas.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

I caught a nice little sea bass out near Catalina but the crew on the boat said it was under-sized and illegal to keep. It was tossed over board and was promptly wolfed down by a sea lion.